• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
thinking about it, it's odd that no one would go to valyria. I always imagined it as an abandoned island, but looking at the map, it's right there between two of essos' major cities. rich and powerful cities. it seems illogical that no one would ever go there.

Didn't Twyin's brother go there and disappear?

The route makes sense to take it's just that NO ONE in the booms would ever do it. They came from Volantis which is in the upper left and sailed through Valyria, instead of around it, to get to Mereen in the upper right in Slaver's Bay.

SlaversBay.jpg

I like how Jorah and Tyrion are traveling the open ocean in a row boat. and the waters are mildly choppy like a big lake.

Also, how the hell does Maester Aemon know what's going on with Dany and Selmy? Is there some international, raven delivered newspaper on the show?

Does Littlefinger still own Harrenhal or was that just tossed aside?

The War of Five Kings is over so it's not necessary for Harrenhal to be manned as a garrison/fortress. It's not really livable because it's still functionally a giant ruin, so it still makes Littlefinger a great lord. He only really needed it in order to marry Lysa, but he's still got it, yeah.

Drazgul

well, euron at least was there, but what I meant with "no one" is actually reconquering it, with forward bases, armies etc.

Something fishy definitely going on in there, seeing as how soon after the doom one of the few surviving valyrian dragonlords went there with dragons and 30,000 men, and they too disappeared without a trace.

Euron of course could just be lying too, the horn could just be a relic he nabbed from the warlocks.

Brakke

Banned
Also, how the hell does Maester Aemon know what's going on with Dany and Selmy? Is there some international, raven delivered newspaper on the show?

Eh that news was pretty broad. Could've easily been a maester in Bravos or something passing on rumors from trade ships or something.

Moff

I like how Jorah and Tyrion are traveling the open ocean in a row boat. and the waters are mildly choppy like a big lake.

he obviously subscribed to the targaryen raven newsletter

thinking about it, it's odd that no one would go to valyria. I always imagined it as an abandoned island, but looking at the map, it's right there between two of essos' major cities. rich and powerful cities. it seems illogical that no one would ever go there.

IIRC, the Smoking Sea could destroy ships due to its volcanic activity and something like that so everyone avoided after a lot of them didn't return. Also, they say the Sea is infested with krakens.

Tiktaalik

Lots of people go there, and they never return, and so people stop going. Sailors are notoriously superstitious.

I thought it was interesting though that in the show Jorah said he was scared of pirates, which grounds the fear a bit more in reality.

Ignoring the supernatural, it's probably akin to sailing through a remote strait full of islands where pirates can easily hide. The safer course is simply to go around.

[Fugo]

Valyria at its height (from the World of Ice and Fire book):

tumblr_ndz7x40PU11qb9jfwo1_1280.jpg

Exactly, the ruins look NOTHING like they derived from this, which is a sort of a fantasy-futuristic place with magic technology, far more advanced than any current place in the ASOIAF world.

And where is the violent and continous volcanic activity? Where is the ominous sky? Where are the strong currents?

I'm not a nitpicker, I was ok with past changes in the show since at least they delivered something similar.

The show's depiction of Valyria is just bad and not up to par.

The only way they can amend this is retconning it latet saying that they just passed by the ruins of a slave city to Valyria at the very margin of the Doom area, and then show what the REAL Valyrian ruins are about.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
image.jpg

Beautifully shot ep.

Yupe. Was enchanted by Valyria and this scene.

On a side note, did anyone else feel Valyrian ruins looked liked ancient Hindu temples?

[Fugo];163551514 said:
Exactly, the ruins look NOTHING like they derived from this, which is a sort of a fantasy-futuristic place with magic technology, far more advanced than any current place in the ASOIAF world.

They looked liked Hindu temples, IMO. Look at these-

4732580-md.jpg

SE_Asia_03.jpg

stock-footage-a-medium-shot-of-ancient-hindu-temple-ruins-in-borobodur-java.jpg

Main_shrine_of_Prambanan_temples.JPG

foxtrot3d

Banned

Ssshhhh, don't think about it just roll with the changes. Aemon ain't going to Braavos and all that where he would more realistically learn of the news, he's going to die at the Wall so they needed for him to hear the news somehow. It's actually kind of dumb that Westeros is aware of what Daenerys is doing, there is one scene from last season looking back which encapsulates this stupidity. It's when Tywin goes to meet Oberyn in the brothel and he tells Oberyn that Dany has three dragons and will son come to Westeros and so Oberyn is all like "you need us, don't you." I want that to sink in for a moment now, Tywin told Oberyn that Dany exists, has three dragons, and is coming to Westeros...

WHY?!?!!? Accepting the stupidity of Westeros having access to this knowledge so soon why would Tywin ever tell a Martell such a thing? You fucking killed their princess and all her children. Assuming the Doran-Targaryen master plot is cut from the show, then if Oberyn and Doran knew that Dany was alive and coming to Westeros they would immediately support her when she arrived.

But whatever, roll with the changes is my motto for the show,

Angry Fork

I've only read up to a storm of swords but I vaguely recall that Tyrion had a sort of obsession with dragons. Is this true? I don't remember why or when exactly.

But in the show they didn't really mention this at all. So when he see's the dragon in the show it seems a lot less important than in the books right?

Moff

Lots of people go there, and they never return, and so people stop going. Sailors are notoriously superstitious.

I thought it was interesting though that in the show Jorah said he was scared of pirates, which grounds the fear a bit more in reality.

Ignoring the supernatural, it's probably akin to sailing through a remote strait full of islands where pirates can easily hide. The safer course is simply to go around.

he said he went through valyria because the pirates do NOT go there.

and I am aware of the volcanic activity and the disappearing adventurers, but I just find it unlikely that in all those hundreds of years the several nearby super rich slaver trade cities never tried to conquer it with professional armies. it's reachable by land, they could move forward slowly. I just don't think GRRM thought that much about it. if it was a misty island surrounded by boiling water and huge krakens, ok. but it's reachable by land. and there are incredible treasures to be found.

I've only read up to a storm of swords but I vaguely recall that Tyrion had a sort of obsession with dragons. Is this true? I don't remember why or when exactly.

But in the show they didn't really mention this at all. So when he see's the dragon in the show it seems a lot less important than in the books right?

When he goes to Winterfell at the beginning he's reading a book about them. He always has a fascination with them.

Wait, they were supposed to be in an ocean in those scenes? I never read the last book, so all of this is new to me--it looked like they were traveling around a freshwater river or lake or something.

[Fugo]

On a side note, did anyone else feel Valyrian ruins looked liked ancient Hindu temples?

Yes they look like that and it's an architectonic style i love, yet it's not fit for what Valyria is meant to be. They had science, construction techniques and dragons to build things far more advanced. Striking example, in ADWD the Valyrian roads are described in a way that makes them be something like a more advanced version of our current world highways!!

So while I'm not seeing Valyrian ruins as something like a post-nuclear NYC, sure as hell it shouldn't look like something that while beautiful is ancient compared to the medieval/early reinassance look of Westeros.

And this on top of the environmental hazards depicted in the books which had no trace in the episode

foxtrot3d

Banned
lol this art is extremely ugly. glad they didn't go with this

Here's a better picture of the artwork:

TheFourteenFlamescoursingthroughValyria_byTedNasmith_zpsd3ea5837.jpg

I will say that, that picture isn't the best and cuts off some parts of the book. However, I will agree I actually don't like the art especially given so much of the other beautiful art in the book. But, the idea it conveys is more important as it was approved by Martin after several iterations.

Illustrating Westeros said:
One of Ted's last pieces was, of course, his depiction of Valyria before the Doom. That was one where we shared what little we had—the “topless towers” line from Catelyn, the magically sculpted stones of Dragonstone—and suggested some ideas. The initial sketch was amazing, but when George saw it he felt it was much too “elvish” . . . and so what followed was a brief essay from him describing Valyria as you see it in the final painting: canals of lava, sculpted towers reaching far above the heat, dragons flitting between them. It was jaw-dropping

The details George provided really brought to life this sorcerous city that was well and truly unlike anything anyone had imagined. That the Fourteen Flames were in the vicinity, sure, we all knew that. That the towers were tall and sculpted, sure. But that the lava of the volcanoes was deliberately channelled through the city, and that the towers were so tall that the dragonlords would be above the heat—would, in some cases, never set their feet on the ground of Valyria, but instead spend their lives in the city flitting from tower to tower on dragon-back—was just amazing to us.

Dragonstone, on the other hand, looks amazing:

world-of-ice-and-fire-dragonstone-random-house.jpg

EmE05ov.jpg

Wait, they were supposed to be in an ocean in those scenes? I never read the last book, so all of this is new to me--it looked like they were traveling around a freshwater river or lake or something.

All of this is new to everyone. lol

But yeah, in the books Tyrion and Jon Connigton fell in the Rhoyne. In the series, Tyrion and Jorah Mormont fell in the Smoking Sea (unless they changed Valyria's location).

Real Hero

The show excels in the cgi etc and it has high production values. But for a fantasy series I've never found the locations particularly memorable.

Brakke

Banned
Ssshhhh, don't think about it just roll with the changes. Aemon ain't going to Braavos and all that where he would more realistically learn of the news, he's going to die at the Wall so they needed for him to hear the news somehow. It's actually kind of dumb that Westeros is aware of what Daenerys is doing, there is one scene from last season looking back which encapsulates this stupidity. It's when Tywin goes to meet Oberyn in the brothel and he tells Oberyn that Dany has three dragons and will son come to Westeros and so Oberyn is all like "you need us, don't you." I want that to sink in for a moment now, Tywin told Oberyn that Dany exists, has three dragons, and is coming to Westeros...

WHY?!?!!? Accepting the stupidity of Westeros having access to this knowledge so soon why would Tywin ever tell a Martell such a thing? You fucking killed their princess and all her children. Assuming the Doran-Targaryen master plot is cut from the show, then if Oberyn and Doran knew that Dany was alive and coming to Westeros they would immediately support her when she arrived.

If Tywin knew then there's no reason to think the Martells hadn't heard on their own or wouldn't hear soon enough. Dorne runs a zillion trading ships to the Free Cities selling wine, they're likely well-informed about Essos. Certainly they'd know well before Dany made landfall anyway. Maybe Tywin told Oberyn directly so he could gauge the guy's reaction?

Martells owe beef to Targaryens as well as to Lannisters. Rhaegar set Ellia aside. Nobody liked The Mad King, figure every family in Westeros has reason to be nervous about a Targaryen ruler, certainly everyone should be worried about Dragons returning.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
[Fugo];163553473 said:
Yes they look like that and it's an architectonic style i love, yet it's not fit for what Valyria is meant to be. They had science, construction techniques and dragons to build things far more advanced. Striking example, in ADWD the Valyrian roads are described in a way that makes them be something like a more advanced version of our current world highways!!

So while I'm not seeing Valyrian ruins as something like a post-nuclear NYC, sure as hell it shouldn't look like something that while beautiful is ancient compared to the medieval/early reinassance look of Westeros.

And this on top of the environmental hazards depicted in the books which had no trace in the episode

I actually didnt remember what Valyria was described like (God ADWD felt such a boring book), so I felt Valyria in the show looked really awesome. But you do have a point, it was beautiful but in no way fit the descriptions given in the book.

Edit: Thanks for adding a new word in my dictionary- architectonic.

The show excels in the cgi etc and it has high production values. But for a fantasy series I've never found the locations particularly memorable.

True. Only the Wall, Pyke and the Eyrie looked impressive to me. The Titan of Braavos also looked nice.

Pyke was really well done:
latest

Crisco

Banned
I too thought the shots of Drogon flying over old Valyria were amazing, even a notch above the show's usual standard of excellence. Dany going from burning the opposition alive to marrying them all in one episode was a bit much, but whatever gets her the fuck out of Meereen faster. The dragon pit scene is going to be in this season, all that's left to know is if they'll fuck with the Dothraki sea bullshit Martin is intent on making us suffer through, or just fly her butt straight to Westeros.

Yeah, I mean, based on that map... Volantis (where Jorah captured Tyrion) is on the left, Mereen is on the right, and they sailed through the Valyrian ruins in the middle:

SlaversBay.jpg

I mean, you couldn't even sail up the US eastern seaboard hugging the coast line in a boat like that without getting flipped or battered unless you were really lucky and literally sailed like, thirty feet out the whole time. And even then it would be a lot wavier than that.

I too thought the shots of Drogon flying over old Valyria were amazing, even a notch above the show's usual standard of excellence. Dany going from burning the opposition alive to marrying them all in one episode was a bit much, but whatever gets her the fuck out of Meereen faster. The dragon pit scene is going to be in this season, all that's left to know is if they'll fuck with the Dothraki sea bullshit Martin is intent on making us suffer through, or just fly her butt straight to Westeros.

I could definitely see her at least beginning to head to Westeros at the end of this/beginning of next season. They've streamlined the Dorne stuff so much I'm guessing they would support her without question, plus the random Randyll Tarly background info means that she now has a capable general. That would be enough support for her to seriously screw things up.

Kain

I'm hoping for Randyll Tarly next season. He is said to be the best general in Westeros along with Stannis and a badass motherfucker all around. And if they end up killing off Kevan and Pychelle we need another major player in KL.

They should cast a big actor too.

I'm really loving STANNIS even more in the show now.

I'm just coming to grips now that I guess that means he'll die soon.

Fucking damn. He's the only one who deserves to sit on the throne, dammit :(

Moff

they really did a great job with stannis in the last few episodes, he is super likable and just a boss. if I had to choose between him and the boltons, it would be a super hard choice, not only because they are all characters I'd like to see longer, but because they are strong characters and needed for a good story. all the others just don't compare to these three at the moment.

Patriots7

I'm hoping for Randyll Tarly next season. He is said to be the best general in Westeros along with Stannis and a badass motherfucker all around. And if they end up killing off Kevan and Pychelle we need another major player in KL.

They should cast a big actor too.
Maybe my recollection is poor, but I didn't think Tarly really was a great politician to be a player in KL?

they really did a great job with stannis in the last few episodes, he is super likable and just a boss. if I had to choose between him and the boltons, it would be a super hard choice, not only because they are all characters I'd like to see longer, but because they are strong characters and needed for a good story. all the others just don't compare to these three at the moment.

Yeah, all three actors are fucking NAILING their respective characters.

At this point, I've lost track of divergences with the books and I'm entirely unsure how these last seasons will inform the way the books end.

I was super confused as to how Tyrion fell into the water in that passage they were taking, then was revived on a seashore, seemingly many miles away.
Yeah, the way I understood it, they were going through Valyria (or along it) and Tyrion awakes on an apparently populated island.

NeoGiff

Ever since I saw Deadwood, Ian McShane has been my #1 choice for Randyll Tarly.

owpYT5z.gif

jCpZ9OI.gif

Cocksucker would out-act everyone on the show. Just imagining a potential scene between him and John Bradley makes me one fuckin' happy dirt-worshiping heathen.

2. Dany may just end up being the villain. I never really believed that speculation that she would turn villain by seasons end as it seemed to trite and would mean pretty much every child of the Mad King was Mad except Rhaegar, although he was "mad" for prophecy. But tonight she just rounded up a bunch of Old Masters and pushed them in front of her dragon to be devoured. Now, if this were Book Dany I would applaud such action as I really do think she should listen to Daario and wipe the city clean of that scum. However, Book Dany has LARGE reasons to suspect the Great Masters are behind the Harpies especially Hizdahr. Show Dany and the audience have not been given any clues as to who are behind the attacks so her round up of the Great Masters seems particularly villainous.
It's really not that complicated that the people who would have the most to gain from Dany's death would be the former people who owned the city, aka the slavers. The army amassing outside her city is slavers. The guerrilla inside her city is also slavers.

bengraven

Off topic, but George was talking about his book Old Venus (which came out a month ago) and revealed the very impressive cast list: STEPHEN FRY, MICHAEL DORN, Wil Wheaton, Matt Frewer, and some of his Game of Thrones cast (Henry Lloyd - that guy really love GOT so give him another role, DAME DIANA RIGG, and of course Roy Doltrice).

So I'm like "oh, I have credits I can spend there, perfect" and I see something else. THE ART OF WAR narrated by Aiden Gillen. How fucking PERFECT is that?

Edit: just found this in fact:

Littlefinger-Audible.png

Cocksucker would out-act everyone on the show. Just imagining a potential scene between him and John Bradley makes me one fuckin' happy dirt-worshiping heathen.

Agreed.

tumblr_lzcxlljWpY1qdrcyyo3_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom