• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

x5pence

Neo Member
So the old lady with Sansa is definitely a Ramsay psychological mind game right? Let's see if Naive Sansa buys into it or is smart enough to realize. I mean come on, Winterfell was burned, the people killed. Most of the Northern lords dead at Red Wedding and Roose and the Boltons leave the Dreadfort and come to Winterfell. They're not going to allow Winterfell people to have prominent roles. The old lady seems like original Reek's mother, all psycho and what not.

The showrunners and directors are smart to cut from Brienne scene asking for help back to the old Lady saying light the candle in the broken tower if you ever need help. If Sansa does it, Ramsay will see she's not loyal and probably will rape her there or something. I mean look at the mind games he played with Theon.

Obviously the North Remembers, which comes to my next point, Ramsay said the exact same thing during dinner. It's just too convenient for the show no? Anyone else thinking this? That it's all a ploy, Ramsay and Myranda will play games with her, the old lady will ingratiate herself with Sansa, blah blah. Theon is the only help she has at Winterfell. Thoughts? Or am I way off base?

I don't think it's a Ramsay mind game personally. In the books they make it clear that only the men at Winterfell were slaughtered and the women and children were marched back to the Dreadfort. They're not just going to keep all of the Winterfell women at the Dreadfort and send their women to take their place. They need people that know the castle and surrounding area to set back up. She also is the one that made the "the north remembers" comment to Sansa when she showed her to her room when she first got there. I think she's legitimately a Stark supporter. If the Boltons killed off all of them they'd have noone left. Plus you'd have to think the guy Brienne talked to wasn't sincere because if he was and the old lady is a pawn of Ramsay's then Sansa would get two different messages. Nobody loves the Boltons unless they benefit from them and I don't think she falls into that category.

The thing I wonder about...I like the theory about the FM being involved in whatever happened at Hardholme, perhaps as a "trial run" for what they ultimately pulled in Valaryia. Given that I assume there weren't warlocks or magical fires in Hardholme it makes me wonder what else could have happened.

bengraven

Has GRRM ever alluded to him telling us what happened in Valyria, or is it supposed to remain a mystery?

You know, I thought maybe he was sick but he seemed kind of "eh" when talking about the Stone Men in that recap video. I wonder if he knew they were going to be in Valyria and was kind of distasteful to it.

(no, I doubt it, he's like chaching what? chaching I can't hear you. Chaching Brienne is a space alien? Chaching kay)

So the old lady with Sansa is definitely a Ramsay psychological mind game right?

I didn't think so until Ramsay's "The North Remembers". He's aware of what's going on behind his back I think, which could be another reason he's so openly dressing her down instead of hiding his true nature.

We didn't see who told the old woman to light the candle. We may assume it's Brienne and the message comes from the crazy Russian guy from LOST (I JUST placed where I saw him from) she met at the inn, but what if she lights the candle and it's actually Ramsay with his dogs that comes to meet her? It could be his trap to see if she's going to flake and become "boring" to him.

Since she's his Lady Hornwood now.

I haven't seen this season yet, but I've been following both threads every Sunday and the difference between threads is rather amusing to me.

When it comes to how I view the books and the show, I see it this way: imagine you've made a grocery list for yourself. You total everything up, and it comes to about $150.

You check your wallet: you only have $50. So what do you do? You compromise and make sacrifices. Yes, Game of Thrones is a behemoth success for HBO, but there is only so much money they can throw at a 10 hour production. We were never going to get a 1:1 port of the books to the screen. A movie budget wouldn't have changed that either. They set a plan of a 10 episode season. Then the people with the money decide how much per episode they're given, and the entire crew has to work with it.

We were never going to get book Valyria. I guess they could have matte painted the fuck out of it, but that could have turned out worse. I saw the inside the episode clip that had some of the Tyrion Jorah scene in it, and it looked amazing to me. About what I could expect for a tv show with 5 more episodes to go for this season.

I know people have been praising this episode for focusing on only a few characters, but I imagine that had about as much to do with the budget as it did them wanting to let character arcs breathe.

Pretty much proving that A Song of Ice and Fire is exactly what Martin set it out to be when he wrote the books - Unfilmable.

bengraven

She's like Liv Tyler speaking elvish. It improves her acting ability to play a bland person speaking a beautiful language.

The thing I wonder about...I like the theory about the FM being involved in whatever happened at Hardholme, perhaps as a "trial run" for what they ultimately pulled in Valaryia. Given that I assume there weren't warlocks or magical fires in Hardholme it makes me wonder what else could have happened.

I was thinking maybe you were confused and thinking of Summerhall because I've never heard of anything Hardhome related except that's where the wildlings are holing up. I don't remember it being mentioned in the series, and I guess I didn't see the bit in WoIaF when it's mentioned, so thanks for giving me that heads up. (I haven't finished the majority of the book)

I have nothing to add speculation-wise as I'm starting to actually read up on the event except to say that I really doubt we'll hear anything about it on the show.

So if Jon eats it at Hardhome and doesn't get Mannis his ships back, does that really screw Stannis at this point? He needs them for Kings Landing not Winterfell right?

I can't see how losing those ships leaves Stannis high and dry at least in the immediate future

She's like Liv Tyler speaking elvish. It improves her acting ability to play a bland person speaking a beautiful language.

I was thinking maybe you were confused and thinking of Summerhall because I've never heard of anything Hardhome related except that's where the wildlings are holing up. I don't remember it being mentioned in the series, and I guess I didn't see the bit in WoIaF when it's mentioned, so thanks for giving me that heads up. (I haven't finished the majority of the book)

I have nothing to add speculation-wise as I'm starting to actually read up on the event except to say that I really doubt we'll hear anything about it on the show.

I can't find the comprehensive westeros link but here's a video with the basic gist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONvfkxMl20

The firewyrm connection is interesting. The FM ran into them in Valaryia, and the holes in Hardholme seem to suggest some type of deep tunneling as well.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So if Jon eats it at Hardhome and doesn't get Mannis his ships back, does that really screw Stannis at this point? He needs them for Kings Landing not Winterfell right?

I can't see how losing those ships leaves Stannis high and dry at least in the immediate future

Well Stannis has "lost" his ships in the books as well.

We were never going to get book Valyria.

The show could keep things simple:
11260527_891610637568915_1785608467434065576_n.png

jk

foxtrot3d

Banned
Refresh my memory. They're definitely lost? Or we assume they are?

Well "lost" in that Salador Saan has abandoned Stannis and gone back to piracy since he hasn't been paid. If you remember it's why Davos has to essentially sneak into White Harbor after being caught up at the Sisters first.

Right! Thanks.

And I mean, Stannis is essentially at the end of his rope in the Crofter's village right now, with a starving and nearly dead army, yes? I could see this season ending with him in that position.

bengraven

So who's ships are they sailing to Hardhome? I'm assuming the NW has a few?

I can't find the comprehensive westeros link but here's a video with the basic gist

The firewyrm connection is interesting. The FM ran into them in Valaryia, and the holes in Hardholme seem to suggest some type of deep tunneling as well.

Watching now. I can't believe I wasn't made aware of this until now. It's something I would have latched onto and wanted more information from if I read it.

foxtrot3d

Banned

That theory doesn't make sense to me, if I were to theorize what hit Hardhome all those years ago I would place it on the Dragon that supposedly lies underneath Winterfell.

Primarily a show watcher here, read book 1 and part of 2 but with the shoe catching up/verging away from the books I've been reading a bit on the wiki and talking to my friend who read all of the books..... WHY WOULD THEY CUT ALL THE AWESOME CHARACTERS? Seriously they have less families than Seasons 1-3 yet don't add in Euron or Victarororororian whatever his face? Also killing Selmy like that was just ugh

Massa

Primarily a show watcher here, read book 1 and part of 2 but with the shoe catching up/verging away from the books I've been reading a bit on the wiki and talking to my friend who read all of the books..... WHY WOULD THEY CUT ALL THE AWESOME CHARACTERS? Seriously they have less families than Seasons 1-3 yet don't add in Euron or Victarororororian whatever his face? Also killing Selmy like that was just ugh

It's better to actually give screen time to characters like Jon and Stannis than endlessly introduce new ones.

It's better to actually give screen time to characters like Jon and Stannis than endlessly introduce new ones.
I would agree except for the fact that they're dedicating a lot of time to Brienne and Pod. Also the entire concept of Aegon just existing is kind of a big deal no?

Also I'm gonna go out on a limb and say either Jon or Stannis is gonna bite the bullet soon so it'd be best to introduce new characters now and flesh them out more.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Because the Iron Born plot would cost too much money, think about having epic ship fights basically every episode. The show doesn't have the budget or time for that. Plus, I'm sure they rightly feel the cast is big enough as it is, introducing a whole other family would only serve to confuse viewers.

EDIT:

I would agree except for the fact that they're dedicating a lot of time to Brienne and Pod. Also the entire concept of Aegon just existing is kind of a big deal no?

Also I'm gonna go out on a limb and say either Jon or Stannis is gonna bite the bullet soon so it'd be best to introduce new characters now and flesh them out more.

Indeed, but there are other ways they could tie that plot in without introducing another alleged Targaryen. You should also be careful in this thread if you want to avoid some spoilers.

Because the Iron Born plot would cost too much money, think about having epic ship fights basically every episode. The show doesn't have the budget or time for that. Plus, I'm sure they rightly feel the cast is big enough as it is, introducing a whole other family would only serve to confuse viewers.
They're not introducing a whole new family, they're just not ignoring them. They already had Asha and Balon, they could at least show us them then. Also they easily navigated around battles in Season 1, they could do the same here. Finally I think you're not giving the viewers enough credit especially since the Greyjoys already exist in D&D verse

foxtrot3d

Banned
Any chance of that coming in Season 6 then? I highly doubt they just completely ignore the entire Greyjoy plotline...

Who knows, I kind of doubt it. The problem is that we book readers don't know the full importance of the Iron Born yet. If their sole purpose is to
bring Daenerys to Mereen through the use of Victarion and his ships, well Daario already mentioned in the show a season back that he captured a bunch of ships for her. Thus, no Iron Born ships would be needed. If their purpose involves something greater and maybe ties into the Oldtown stuff
then maybe we might get them in S6.

The Ironborn plot is an easy cut in my mind. It's a total narrative island, especially compared to introducing the Dornish characters who have direct ties to King's Landing characters and the events in King's Landing last season.

Madness

I don't know why Sam and Gilly and Missandei and Gray Worm are getting that much screen time though. I'd much rather have more Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Sansa, Arya, Jon, Stannis than another scene of Gilly being dumb, Gray Worm trying to be Romeo etc.

Edit: Yeah I know, they need it to set up that White Walkers are coming, Dragonglass kills them, where the Citadel is and what it does etc.

It seems like a lot of the Gilly scenes are treading the same ground. Sam is reading, Gilly says something dumb because she can't read, awkward moment ensues. I haven't really been feeling much affection between the two this season.

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't know why Sam and Gilly and Missandei and Gray Worm are getting that much screen time though. I'd much rather have more Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Sansa, Arya, Jon, Stannis than another scene of Gilly being dumb, Gray Worm trying to be Romeo etc.

Edit: Yeah I know, they need it to set up that White Walkers are coming, Dragonglass kills them, where the Citadel is and what it does etc.

They're only getting a few minutes of screentime each. Sam and Gilly are setting up for future plot, and Grey Worm and Missandei are characters who were important to introduce for world building purposes, but didn't have much book plot. Once the show had introduced them, it needed to create some material for them, and this works fine.

Also, if the show is really doing Oldtown, and Stannis has left his ships for Jon's use, that nicely sets up Salladhor to be the one who transports Sam and Gilly, to replace the Summer Islanders from the books.

Right! Thanks.

And I mean, Stannis is essentially at the end of his rope in the Crofter's village right now, with a starving and nearly dead army, yes? I could see this season ending with him in that position.

The shooting reports that were released seemed to suggest there's only one big action sequence in the north - Hardholme. Unless I missed something, I'm pretty sure the Winterfell battle won't happen this season.

The shooting reports that were released seemed to suggest there's only one big action sequence in the north - Hardholme. Unless I missed something, I'm pretty sure the Winterfell battle won't happen this season.

There is the possibility that they could resolve the conflict without a battle.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So a bit off topic, but I'm considering changing my avatar (first time ever really) and thought that if I did do it I'd make it GoT related. At the moment I'm thinking about these two ones below, Bittersteel and Rhaegar. I'm leaning more towards Bittersteel but which do you people think looks better, not to say I'm entirely convinced at the moment that I will change avatars.

Rhaegar

0sx1Khw.png

Bittersteel
veGRbX7.png

Speevy

Banned
This might seem like the most unlikely theory but since no one talks about it, what if they had Melisandre kill Stannis?

Like just a total betrayal.

Hazmat

The line about pirates avoiding Valyria was like they were setting up a compromise for fans of the books. They're screwing up Valyria, which is bad, but they're making up for it by scrapping Penny, which is good.

They're giving us too much good stuff with Stannis, Davos, and Shireen. One of them is gonna die.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
But the show got Emilia and Kit.

So really, at most, you're looking at $25 spent, total, in that analogy.

Lol. I like Kitt and Emilia. The hate she gets on this forum from many people is perplexing to me. Dany's storyline is a difficult one to adapt to live action, but I think they've done a good job on the show if trimming the stuff from the books that didn't work, and I think Emilia Clarke does a very good job with the character. Dany is an inexperienced ruler. Her whole story up to this point was her coming into her own while battling with her very nature as a batshit crazy Targaryen. She has moments where she seems like she knows what she's doing, but the truth is, all of this shit is new to her, and she's learning as she goes.

I know it's been 5 seasons, so I understand the weariness and desire for her to get on with it, but she IS the end game of the show/books, whatever that may be, and we aren't there yet.

Sansa is in a similar position, but unlike Dany, she lacks the power and respect. Her story was so directionless that they had to steal the story line from another character. Dany doesn't have that luxury.

Speevy

Banned
The line about pirates avoiding Valyria was like they were setting up a compromise for fans of the books. They're screwing up Valyria, which is bad, but they're making up for it by scrapping Penny, which is good.

They're giving us too much good stuff with Stannis, Davos, and Shireen. One of them is gonna die.

It seems like Davos would die defending his king or Shireen from just about anyone, so either Davos is going to die or be separated from Stannis at some point.

This might seem like the most unlikely theory but since no one talks about it, what if they had Melisandre kill Stannis?

Like just a total betrayal.

I think what's more likely is that something happens that drives Stannis to her to more or less take a hike, and she goes back to Castle Black.

Speevy

Banned
I think what's more likely is that something happens that drives Stannis to her to more or less take a hike, and she goes back to Castle Black.

Well if that thing is killing Shireen or suggesting killing Shireen, he'd have her killed surely. He doesn't have some great affection for the woman.

Patriots7

Sansa is in a similar position, but unlike Dany, she lacks the power and respect. Her story was so directionless that they had to steal the story line from another character. Dany doesn't have that luxury.
Directionless? She is biding her time (because she is still a fugitive) and seducing the next in line for the Vale, so that between her and her bethrothed, they can retake the North and have a very strong, legitimate claim to the North, Riverlands and the Vale.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As I see it, I think that it will go something along these lines:

- Stannis gets killed
- Melissandre sacrifices Shireen, hoping to bring back Azor Azahi from the dead but then... nothing fucking happens. Stannis stays dead, his soldiers lynch her, as she's just showed that the Light God is a scam and killed one innocent children in the process, too
- Meanwhile, in the other corner of the world, Azor Azahi does indeed goes back from the dead, as Jon opens his eyes, confusing and terrifying everyone

This could end up being a serious mindfuck like no other and a great way to close this season, me thinks
That sounds pretty neat, actually.

In the absence of everyone's favourite buffoon, Face Tyrell, I was forced to gif something else for once.

irvCAF9.gif
I guess that's what Quentyn would have looked like, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom