• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Yeah, I swore the pit would be earlier in the season but it makes sense to prolong Tyrion's journey with Jorah and have them actually spend time as slaves.

The last shot of the show will be Dany riding Drogon and him giving a majestic roar.

I TOLD YOU N.G.!

Kyra, with her keys.

I don't know how I missed such a key character's name.

NeoGiff

Kyra, with her keys.

Wasn't it Keyra, with her kys?

Yeah, I swore the pit would be earlier in the season but it makes sense to prolong Tyrion's journey with Jorah and have them actually spend time as slaves.

The last shot of the show will be Dany riding Drogon and him giving a majestic roar.

I TOLD YOU N.G.!

Stop it.

Edit: Actually, this one is acceptable, just like the Season 1 finale.

Iksenpets

Banned
You're making good points, unfortunately. (I want to see a big battle in Essos with pirates and dragons more than I want to see a Hardhome or Winterfell battle)

However if she goes to Westeros in this season while in book 6 she's still in Meereen the whole time, what will she do in Season 6 waiting for the Westeros plots to catch up? (All the book material in book 6 that doesn't involve Dany)

Some combination of filler material as she travels and cutting things from other characters to catch them up with her, most likely. Maybe she lands early but then spends some time interacting with the Ironborn in Westeros, to fill in whatever bits of the Euron story are necessary. Who knows, but I'm sure they have something planned. May not be good, but they have it planned.

ezrarh

You're making good points, unfortunately. (I want to see a big battle in Essos with pirates and dragons more than I want to see a Hardhome or Winterfell battle)

However if she goes to Westeros in this season while in book 6 she's still in Meereen the whole time, what will she do in Season 6 waiting for the Westeros plots to catch up? (All the book material in book 6 that doesn't involve Dany)

As interesting as the Mereen battle will be in the books, the viewer in the TV show has almost no connection to most of the characters in Essos. There wouldn't be any weight to the battle at all compared to something like the Blackwater battle. I mean, you have book readers who don't care at all about the Essos characters and they've had to deal with 50 Dany chapters in ADWD.

In regards to Dany, I think she could still do stuff in Westeros if she left Mereen at the end of the season. I read a TWOW preview chapter so spoilers
What if she took FAegon's spot and attacked Storm's End? With Jorah Connington instead. She could just play Aegon's role somehow.

Speevy

Banned
They should let the fans choose two characters to pair together for a cross-country journey.

Stannis and Podrick would be hilarious.

Violet_0

Banned
But he's right. D&D said that Sansa in the Vale was boring so they gave her Poole's story, because the audience wouldn't care about a random character they've only seen once or twice be raped by Ramsay, but they would if it was Sansa.

So logic and character development be damned for good TV. Will the torture be as bad as Jeyne's? Not portrayed, due to the medium.

I really don't think Ramsay is going to torture Sansa. She's been through that in the last four seasons, she's now a changed person (even got a visual makeover) and Littlefinger's apprentice, she's learning the game. From a narrative point of view it doesn't really make much sense to push her right back into the damsel in distress role she's occupied throughout the whole show. The way I see it, she's going through the same character arc as Arya now, but instead of becoming a cold-hearted assassin she picking up on the political machinations, manipulation and betrayal to revenge her family in her own way.

She's also a foil to Ramsey, who underestimates her and is trying to toy with her like all his other weak-willed victims. It would be only fitting if she's the one who finally ends him. I get the feeling the whole Winterfell situation will play out quite differently from the books, but we'll see

Dany's storyline is so fucked:

If she stays, then the unsullied become even more bored of her not doing anything.

If she invades, they have to come up with a BS reason for why 10k+ men plus three dragons can't steamroll weakened, splintered Westeros because otherwise they have the risk of it overtaking everyone else's storyline. Who would care about Arya's assassin training or Sansa's politics stuff in the North when there's an invasion going on?

I think they need to keep her in Essos for a while longer but finally have her build up to an invasion at the end of S6.

I'm glad Sansa's more directly engaged with the plot and not just trying to flirt with Harry the Heir, but I do think the Winterfell writing could be better. Right now it does feel too much like more of Sansa suffering in silence to an abusive fiancée - they should be demonstrating not only that she's handling things differently and has grown since her days in King's Landing, but also precisely that Winterfell is in many ways the new King's Landing - that it's the new most-important seat of power in many ways (given that people are converging on it much as everyone converged on it for the Battle of the Blackwater), that the Boltons can afford to ignore the Lannisters because of this (Winterfell is the new King's Landing, the Boltons are the new Lannisters, and so on - but this time Sansa's different and has more agency). Make the parallels and repeated motifs serve and improve the storytelling rather than hold it back.

Using those parallels smartly helps emphasize how much KL/Lannisters have diminished in clout and importance, it helps emphasize that this is Stannis's second shot at power, and it helps to emphasize that Sansa is a different person now and that she's thrust into a similar situation to one she's previously experienced but can make it turn out differently because she's more experienced.

I'd dearly love to see a wholly Winterfell-centric episode similar to the amazing S2 Blackwater one. We aren't getting that but it'd be brilliant for the story (and tons of the cast are converging on it).

Lothar

Banned
As interesting as the Mereen battle will be in the books, the viewer in the TV show has almost no connection to most of the characters in Essos. There wouldn't be any weight to the battle at all compared to something like the Blackwater battle. I mean, you have book readers who don't care at all about the Essos characters and they've had to deal with 50 Dany chapters in ADWD.

In regards to Dany, I think she could still do stuff in Westeros if she left Mereen at the end of the season. I read a TWOW preview chapter so spoilers
What if she took FAegon's spot and attacked Storm's End? With Jorah Connington instead. She could just play Aegon's role somehow.

A potential battle for Meereen would involve Dany, Tyrion, Jorah, and Barristan if they hadn't killed him. That's about the same as the battle for the Wall last season. Jon, Sam, and Igritte. People like Tyrion and Jorah well enough. People would like Dany if D & D stopped trying to make people hate her. (Burning people alive without a trial after saying no one should be killed without a trial. Do they want people to just start changing the channel when she comes on? She used to be one of the biggest fan favorites too.)

bengraven

Speevy

Banned
I would have put the wildling thing to a vote.

Square things for wildlings live, round things for willdlings die.

Let them own their decision, no mutiny.

Lothar

Banned
They're turning Dany into the villain of the show.

Intentionally?

Even if the end game turned out to be something like Dany vs Jon, Dany vs Sansa, or Dany vs Arya, it would be more interesting if she wasn't a villain and people had to pick a side.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Might have already been posted

BBMvMxX.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Intentionally?

Even if the end game turned out to be something like Dany vs Jon, Dany vs Sansa, or Dany vs Arya, it would be more interesting if she wasn't a villain and people had to pick a side.

Did you think giving her an almost totally smooth ride to success and stripping it all away from her was an accident?

Dany has to truly believe that everything she once thought about ruling was a lie so she can rebuild her army with truly diabolical deeds.

Violet_0

Banned
the Jaime arc is easily the worst part of the show right now. Which is sort of funny, because Jaime and Bronn are two of the best characters in GoT

bengraven

That was like hundreds dude and they died by the hundreds. The dragons were also trapped and couldn't fly.

But they killed them.

Might have already been posted

BBMvMxX.jpg

In fairness, there was so much subtlety in Jaime's book story that it was no where to be found. It was like asking someone yes or no and they spend the next fifteen minutes saying one word.

"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"
"are you done yet?"
"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"
*five minutes later*
"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh-ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..."

Speevy

Banned
Again, concerning the decision of whether or not to put certain characters in certain situations, the reasoning is all this.

Will viewers care about this?

If yes, film it.

If not, add characters that people do care about until the situation becomes more interesting, then film it.

Also, the last Jaime/Cersei scene in last season is Cersei having sex withhim, and the first one of this season is Cersei blaming him for their father's death.

For Jaime to be rid of this guilt, he has to discover for himself what a manipulative, evil bitch his sister really is. Having the necklace be a total lie accomplishes this, along with Bronn's death. Had Jaime stayed in King's Landing, or even traveled to the Riverlands, well he already spent two seasons traveling through the Riverlands. Who thinks that would make for great television? He already has great affection for Brienne too.

Violater

They're turning Dany into the villain of the show.

Or maybe her coming to Westeros will just be to save them from the white walkers and dies in the process.
Jon dies as well.
Tyrion finally finds out where whores go.
Sansa chokes and dies on a lemmon cake.
Rickon comes back and rules Winterfell.
Arya remains a faceless "man".

/crazy rant....
I'll see myself out.

Iksenpets

Banned
Not defending the show arc (which aint great) but Jaime's book arc is pretty damn boring. It fell a long, long way from his SoS Arc.

Book Jaime is a whole lot of nothing, all in service of two incredible dialogue scenes with Blackfish and Edmure. I miss that dialogue, but I totally get why it had to go, especially given how much less prominent the Tullys have been on the show.

XAL

I loved Jaime's arc in the book.

Yeah and his interactions with his cousin and the Blackfish.

They went from this to this:
Book: Him having sex with his sister in the sept, being rejected coldly, separating fairly cleanly from his sister once he realizes how toxic she is. Finding out he's better than her and trying to be a good honorable man and then looking like he's mostly moved on.
Show: Raping his sister and then still being under her thumb desperately trying to win her affections back.

They ruined Jaime in the show. His entire character, not just 1 story arc by doing that shit.

But "BOOK ARC SO BORING LOL" I guess.

:\

Jigorath

Banned
Jaime's plot in the Riverlands was so boring. Jaime and Bronn going on an adventure in Dorne? Much better. Too bad the Sand Snakes suck.

I think Jaime's Feast arc, like many Feast and Dance arcs, is a solid story that could do with having one or two chapters cut out. At least it amounts to something for him, which I'm unconvinced this Dorne one will. Jaime's character has been on pause pretty much since he got to King's Landing.

Showaddy

I think Jaime's Feast arc, like many Feast and Dance arcs, is a solid story that could do with having one or two chapters cut out. At least it amounts to something for him, which I'm unconvinced this Dorne one will. Jaime's character has been on pause pretty much since he got to King's Landing.

With SH cut, Brienne up North and the Riverlands now seemingly superfluous I have absolutely no idea what they would do with Jaime in the absence of this dodgy Dorne arc. All that's left for him to do is turn against Cersei.

Yeah and his interactions with his cousin and the Blackfish.

They went from this to this:
Book: Him having sex with his sister in the sept, being rejected coldly, separating fairly cleanly from his sister once he realizes how toxic she is. Finding out he's better than her and trying to be a good honorable man and then looking like he's mostly moved on.
Show: Raping his sister and then still being under her thumb desperately trying to win her affections back.

They ruined Jaime in the show. His entire character, not just 1 story arc by doing that shit.

But "BOOK ARC SO BORING LOL" I guess.

:\

Pretty much.

Jaime and Cersei's POV chapters were the only reason I managed to get through AFFC. I...really don't expect this Dorne business to handle his character arc nearly as well. Not that there's as much to salvage after they cut out the Tysha revelation and added a rape last season. -_-

I'm hoping he finds out about her fucking Lancel and we get "put this in the fire" at least.

Lothar

Banned
That's absolutely correct, but I don't think Jaime's book story would be very translatable. It's a shame to miss the siege of Riverrun, though.

All that would have needed to be transferred would be him talking to Edmure. Then perhaps he could talk to another evil Lannister or Frey to show the difference in character. He could have come across Blackfish. And Bronn could have still accompanied him and trained with him. Of course it would end with Brienne. But remember, there were only about 1 or 2 chapters of Jaime in the Riverlands. For much of Feast of Crows, he was in King's Landing arguing and being at odds with Cersei. That could have been the first half of the season.

Any of this would have been better the scenes of Jaime in Dorne so far.

I'm not always the harshest critic because I just don't care enough but the sand snakes are truly the worst thing lol. So much cheese it's unbelievable.

foxtrot3d

Banned
All that would have needed to be transferred would be him talking to Edmure. Then perhaps he could talk to another evil Lannister or Frey to show the difference in character. He could have come across Blackfish. And Bronn could have still accompanied him and trained with him. Of course it would end with Brienne. But remember, there were only about 1 or 2 chapters of Jaime in the Riverlands. For much of Feast of Crows, he was in King's Landing arguing and being at odds with Cersei. That could have been the first half of the season.

Really? Because the Unsullied are loving the Jaimie and Bronn adventures and they are already complaining about the season being "boring." Can you imagine an entire season of Jaimie just traveling through the Riverlands going through a slow but brilliant arc? Show watchers prefer to see Bronn kill some Dornish dudes like some badass rogue.

Valhelm

contribute something

I was talking about Jaime's internal transformations. Half the book readers didn't pick up on the chances to the Kingslayer's character, and I doubt any significant numbers of show fans would realize why his travels are significant.

The scenes in Dorne have been bad and overly simplified, but consolidating plotlines makes a little sense. Fans would violently hate the Dorne sequences otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom