• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

The Old Gods have shown their power as well. But, I don't think there are any Gods in the world just people with magical abilities who attribute those abilities to various deities.

i would argue that bringing people back from the dead goes beyond mere magical ability's though .

Speaking of bringing people bringing back to live , am i right in assuming that it has limitations ?

In, S3 Beric says that TLOL cannot bring back Ned stark when asked by Arya .

Is this because there is no body left to resurrect or because he was decapitated ?

so if it is the latter , would that mean that if the Hound had cut Berrics head of , he would have stayed death forever ?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
i would argue that bringing people back from the dead goes beyond mere magical ability's though .

Speaking of bringing people bringing back to live , am i right in assuming that it has limitations ?

In, S3
Beric says that TLOL cannot bring back Ned stark when asked by Arya .

Is this because there is no body left to resurrect or because he was decapitated ?

so if it is the latter , would that mean that if the Hound had cut Berrics head of , he would have stayed death forever ?
What's with the spoiler tags? And who knows in the universe, weather a head will affect bringing someone back, just look at Ser Robert Strong. Also I'm assuming Ned couldn't be brought back, because his body was probably decaying and would have been a Skelton at that point in time.

Something ive been pondering :

I am starting to think that the god of light is the only one who actually exists .

People in Westeros pray to all kinds of diferent gods ( the drowned god , the lord of light , the god that the starks pray to near those trees with faces on ( cant remember the name ) etc,, ) yet TLOL is the only god who actually has shown signs that he is real , through his priests actions .

so yes , as far as i am concerned ( so far ) : " The lord of light is the one true god "
What about the many faced God, and the God of death.

CassSept

What's with the spoiler tags? And who knows in the universe, weather a head will affect bringing someone back, just look at Ser Robert Strong. Also I'm assuming Ned couldn't be brought back, because his body was probably decaying and would have been a Skelton at that point in time.

2spooky

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure it's because even when returned after a brief period of time people change a lot. Death changes people yadda yadda. Berric was changed. Catelyn became a completely different person, not only from her ordeal at the RW, but also from being dead for a couple of days. Obviously decay factors in, as Berric had to sacrifice himself to bring Cat back.

Even if possible in some way, UnNed would not resemble Ned at all.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The Mountain has a head. They sent a fake one to Dorne. Or maybe in the show he has that dwarf's head from a few episodes back.

What? The Mountain was headless, I thought they sent a fake one (another head) to Dorne.

I don't think it's ever made clear whether or not the head was real.

EDIT:

"Tell me, ser, where did this man come from?" demanded Mace Tyrell. "Why have we never heard his name before? He does not speak, he will not show his face, he is never seen without his armor. Do we know for a certainty that he is even a knight?"

We do not even know if he's alive. Meryn Trant claimed that Strong took neither food nor drink, and Boros Blount went so far as to say he had never seen the man use the privy. Why should he? Dead men do not shit. Kevan Lannister had a strong suspicion of just who this Ser Robert really was beneath that gleaming white armor. A suspicion that Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly no doubt shared. Whatever the face hidden behind Strong's helm, it must remain hidden for now. The silent giant was his niece's only hope. And pray that he is as formidable as he appears.

I can't recall how Beric's injuries are described in the books, but when the Hound almost cleaves his torso in two from the shoulder on the show, he's magically stuck back together in the next shot, but then he couldn't regenerate his eye, and Stonheart's throat didn't heal up in the books (or maybe it did? She goes from not being able to speak at all to managing it by holding the wound closed).

Who knows?

Iksenpets

Banned
Detective Giff strikes again!

Carice just tweeted this:

oGTmgcD.jpg

How would she know how funny Gwen is on set unless Brienne meets Stannis and co.?

It's happening.

Edit: The other two are actors we know she has been in close proximity to on set. Gwen hasn't been, at least not yet.

I definitely think it's happening. Brienne and Pod will somehow get Sansa and Theon out of Winterfell (what prompts Sansa to decide it's time to escape, I don't know) and they all intersect with Stannis' army. What gives me hope is that since the Littlefinger/Sansa plot hinges on Stannis, Sansa will order Brienne to either serve him in the battle, or to leave to find her brothers, who she now knows are alive. It works as a parallel to Brienne's ending in the book, since it forces her to choose dutifulness over what she actually wants.

That sounds decent enough. As long as we get a Brienne/Hodor fight at the end. The man from H.O.D.O.R. was blocking swords with a fucking hammer, it should be amazing.

NeoGiff

That sounds decent enough. As long as we get a Brienne/Hodor fight at the end. The man from H.O.D.O.R. was blocking swords with a fucking hammer, it should be amazing.

Every time I see your avatar, all I can think of is

deZqZVi.gif

I definitely think it's happening. Brienne and Pod will somehow get Sansa and Theon out of Winterfell (what prompts Sansa to decide it's time to escape, I don't know) and they all intersect with Stannis' army. What gives me hope is that since the Littlefinger/Sansa plot hinges on Stannis, Sansa will order Brienne to either serve him in the battle, or to leave to find her brothers, who she now knows are alive. It works as a parallel to Brienne's ending in the book, since it forces her to choose dutifulness over what she actually wants.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of this, but I like it and it certainly seems plausible.
Which means it will never happen.

deZqZVi.gif

lol, I never quite got over the removal of animated avatars : (
I stopped even having one for about 6 months after that.

If Klayman were still walking we could just slap a Mace head on there.

Oh wait, I still have the original:

walk9ta.gif

Patriots7

I can't wait until the Ramsay-Sansa scene. The white-knighting around her virginity is painful to read. The girl is going to have to make sacrifices if she wants revenge. Her purity should only matter to her if she wants to be sold to a high lord. If she wants to influence things, reclaim her home, get justice, she is going to have to use all the weapons at her disposal.
I don't think anyone is white-knighting her virginity. She's likely going to consummate her marriage to Harry the Heir if it gets that far.

So if/when Sansa lights her candle, what's Brienne planning to actually do? Single-handedly storm the gates of Winterfell, stab Roose through the heart and stroll out with Sansa slung over her shoulder?

I mean, part of me would LOVE to see that happen.

Anyway, I know the Winterfell storyline is a complete divergence from the books, but I absolutely love it. Easily my favourite aspect of the show at the moment, even though the whole plot falls apart as soon as you apply any critical thought to it. Even if I wasn't super interested to see where it's going, the performances from Sansa, Roose, Ramsay, Reek and even Myranda would be enough to save it.

DISJOINTED RAMBLING AHEAD

-I actually got a little emotional on seeing the broken tower again. Also, there was one particular shot of Sansa looking up that almost exactly mirrored a similar shot of Cat back in season 1. Along with Sansa now wearing similar clothes to her mother, and apparently set on vengeance, I could totally see the show developing her into a sort of quasi-LSH stand-in. I'd actually be down with that, since it seems ever more likely we're not getting the real thing.
:-(

-Myranda leading Sansa to the kennels was tense as fuck. Given how psycho Myranda is, I thought for a moment she was trying to set Sansa up to be ripped apart by hounds or something (remember what happened to the last pretty girl she was jealous of?). And Sansa's reaction to finding Theon...man, Sophie is SO GOOD. So many different emotions portrayed in the space of a few seconds. Trouble is, that "reunion" could have carried even more weight if we'd seen Sansa and Theon share a scene together back in season 1.

-Excruciating as it was, I'd have been happy if the Bolton Family Dinner had gone on for another half hour. These awkward dinner parties are one of my favourite parts of the show, but they usually involve the Lannisters, so it was nice to see the Boltons take centre stage for once.

-Even though the more horrific aspects of the book's Winterfell plot haven't really been conveyed on screen, I think she show's done a great job of instilling a sense of dread. Like, it's so uncomfortable to see Winterfell, the place where the series began and a generally safe, happy haven in the crapsack world of Westeros, occupied by psychos and transformed into something so dark and dreary. I'm worried for Sansa, worried for Fat Walda and Roose Junior, worried for the North Remembers Lady (if she isn't a Ramsay plant)...basically, every second we spend in Winterfell, I'm expecting something horrible to happen to someone innocent.

-I noticed Sansa fiddling with the weird needle/dagger-esque adornment on her necklace quite a bit in this episode...it's probably nothing, but I'm kind of hoping she ends up stabbing someone (Myranda?) with it. I guess I'm just praying for her to actually have an active role in her escape, rather than just being swept along by another character yet again.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Old Gods have shown their power as well. But, I don't think there are any Gods in the world just people with magical abilities who attribute those abilities to various deities.

I think the only one that hasn't been shown with direct power is the Seven.

Which is funny, since iirc GRRM is a lapsed catholic. If the Seven have been attributed to anything or performed a 'miracle' I can't think of one.

So if/when Sansa lights her candle, what's Brienne planning to actually do? Single-handedly storm the gates of Winterfell, stab Roose through the heart and stroll out with Sansa slung over her shoulder?

Sansa may light her candle when Stannis attacks, maybe Ramsay threatens her if she tries to be "rescued" by him or something.

Brienne goes in in the chaos with Stannis' army (there won't be a siege since this is a TV show) sees a vulnerable Stannis and chooses to save Sansa instead of trying to take revenge, leaving Stannis to fight another day.

Brakke

Banned
Oh shit I was wondering what was up with that Sansa shot. Good pull.

Mostly I was distracted about what a damn idiot Southron Sansa is for flying that much cleavage in the fucken snow.

Speevy

Banned
Does this show use more or less a burned replica of their original Winterfell?

I can scarcely recognize this new place, but then the weather is much different.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Does this show use more or less a burned replica of their original Winterfell?

I can scarcely recognize this new place, but then the weather is much different.

It's probably the same set just dressed up to be more worn and torn. Also, it's not like the Winterfell set was that big. You had the Great Hall, the Tower, the practice yard, the Weirwood grove, the crypts, and the exterior entrance set. And none of them were particularly big sets.

Patriots7

Is there a list of sizes of the castles of Westeros? I don't know why, but I had always imagined that Dreadfort was much larger than Winterfell.

I actually think it would be pretty neat to have Stannis go through a Jamie like character transformation. After loosing Shireen and Davos and Jon is revealed to be Azor Ahai and Rhager's son he bends the knee to Jon and joins the Nights Watch to become the new Lord Commander. This puts someone competent in charge which frees up Jon to take on Dany and Aegon or whatever. At this point I'm desperatly rationalizing reasons for Stannis to stick around until book seven, when its obvious he's done in the next book and mostly likely this season of the show,.

Is there a list of sizes of the castles of Westeros? I don't know why, but I had always imagined that Dreadfort was much larger than Winterfell.

I mean I'm sure you can root through AWOIAF to determine actual size. I could be wrong, but I know Harrenhal is definitely the biggest with Winterfell not far behind.

The art on the wiki definitely makes the Dreadfort look rather...quaint?

350px-Dreadfort_Big.jpg

And then there's Harrenhal. I mean...look at that.
225302.jpg

I always thought that the Dreadfort was smaller than Winterfell. They weren't even the second biggest house in the North. Karstark, Umber and Manderly were more important iirc.

foxtrot3d

Banned
All the major Castles have official artworks for them in the WOIAF book, some are obviously quite bigger than we see in the show. I posted Dragonstone a few pages back.

Winterfell:

ohGJOaF.jpg

World_Ice_Fire_winterfell.jpg

Eyrie:
400px-The_Eyrie-TN.jpg

Iksenpets

Banned

deZqZVi.gif

Ooh, I hadn't thought of this, but I like it and it certainly seems plausible.
Which means it will never happen.

Your skepticism will not sway me! It's the clearest path they have at this point to hold to their promise of no major book spoilers this season, and it brings their invented Brienne arc to an endpoint that very neatly mirrors her book ending, just with Sansa instead of Stoneheart, and her having to spare Stannis replacing her having to betray Jaime. It all fits, dammit!

CoolOff

So, Yezzan has been cast, but I'm assuming we're not gonna see him in Yunkai? Where is he gonna show up?

Edit: Jesus fuck I'm dreading the scenes between Trystane and Myrcella.

Iksenpets

Banned
So, Yezzan has been cast, but I'm assuming we're not gonna see him in Yunkai? Where is he gonna show up?

Edit: Jesus fuck I'm dreading the scenes between Trystane and Myrcella.

Probably just showing up to buy Tyrion/Jorah. When they first announced him, I figured that he would basically be our lead villain in Essos and he would have a lot of content with Dany before buying Tyrion, and then would lead the battle. But he hasn't shown up at all, and the battle is pretty clearly cut, so I guess he's just a small role.

And I think next ep is the major Trystane and Myrcella scene. Hopefully Cogman can handle it well enough, and can give the Sand Snakes some better material.

Massa

Probably just showing up to buy Tyrion/Jorah. When they first announced him, I figured that he would basically be our lead villain in Essos and he would have a lot of content with Dany before buying Tyrion, and then would lead the battle. But he hasn't shown up at all, and the battle is pretty clearly cut, so I guess he's just a small role.

And I think next ep is the major Trystane and Myrcella scene. Hopefully Cogman can handle it well enough, and can give the Sand Snakes some better material.

What major scene?

Looks a little too clean, the other art that was floating previously looked better imo.

Iksenpets

Banned
What major scene?

Looks a little too clean, the other art that was floating previously looked better imo.

Oh, I just meant that they're in the preview and listed in the synopsis, so I figured whatever scene they have establishing their relationship is this week. There's no leaked scene or anything like that that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom