• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Winterfell.jpg

It looks alright, obviously it should be bigger but I like the design.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It looks small to medium sized in the show because you really only get to see a couple outside parts: the courtyard, the weirwood, and wherever that tower is located.

This is actually my main problem with King's Landing it seemed so much bigger in the first two seasons where it got more use. Now KL is just small council set, throne room set, Qyburn office set, some small exterior alleys and walkways, and Cercei and Marg rooms.

munchie64

This is actually my main problem with King's Landing it seemed so much bigger in the first two seasons where it got more use. Now KL is just small council set, throne room set, Qyburn office set, some small exterior alleys and walkways, and Cercei and Marg rooms.
No idea how jokey this is, but D & D said they stopped filming so many exterior talking scenes in Kings Landing cause South Park made fun of it lol

jett

D-Member
got_tv7cp78.png

I got this from the other thread. Seems the leaked episodes didn't really affect shit, this season's ratings are just on a downward trend.

got_tv7cp78.png

I got this from the other thread. Seems the leaked episodes didn't really affect shit, this season's ratings are just on a downward trend.

According to the other thread this is a downward trend.

I think the unsullied don't know how to read charts and graphs.

Well Sunday was Mother's Day too, I don't think you can discount effect that the leaks had yet.

There's also an argument that people pirating three episodes led to more people figuring out or deciding to continue to pirate.

Plus there's the release of HBO now this season that did not exist beforehand. Tough to make a fair comparison with this info.

It is still pulling in excellent ratings.

got_tv7cp78.png

Honestly, I think this season is boring in comparison to last one. The photography, the acting and the script is worse than previous seasons at least until last episode. Of course I'm speaking in general, there were good moments this season. But overall, meh.

Bring Oberyn back, pls.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well Sunday was Mother's Day too, I don't think you can discount effect that the leaks had yet.

There's also an argument that people pirating three episodes led to more people figuring out or deciding to continue to pirate.

Plus there's the release of HBO now this season that did not exist beforehand. Tough to make a fair comparison with this info.

It is still pulling in excellent ratings.

Yeah, if you look at seasons three and four and extrapolate the Mothers' Day drop from there, it will probably bounce back to being above the season four trend for episode six. The leaks definitely did their damage though. The fact that this most recent episode was well-received should help.

Honestly, I think this season is boring in comparison to last one. The photography, the acting and the script is worse than previous seasons at least until last episode. Of course I'm speaking in general, there were good moments this season. But overall, meh.

Bring Oberyn back, pls.

Season 4 definitely spoiled people, but I don't really feel like this is differently paced from, say, season 3, which also had long periods of set up.

The growth of the last four seasons was not sustainable. The series is still in a tremendously healthy position, especially considering the nature of the material they're adapting.

Ikael

Leaks + HBO Go + Mother's day = Lower ratings? Too early to declare the show's viewership a "downward trend", I think.

That being said, Season 4 will be hard to top, if not downright impossible. It had a "whoa, holy shit!" moment each 2 or 3 episodes, whereas the other seasons stick to the "seven or eight episodes of set up, two episodes of hell breaking loose and another one for the aftermath" formula, which is bound to be replicated on this season too. And let's be honest here, S5 is adapting the worst parts of the saga, so of course that's gotta have a huge effect too.

-griffy-

Banned
The growth of the last four seasons was not sustainable. The series is still in a tremendously healthy position, especially considering the nature of the material they're adapting.

Yeah, 6-7 million might be around the ceiling for this show. It's always going to be limited due to the HBO subscription. Season 4 also had the shock death of Joffrey in episode 3, which may have contributed to the early spike that season.

HBO is primarily concerned with growing their subscription base. In terms of ratings, the most valuable ones to them are the cumulative numbers (e.g. the first week of multiplatform which includes reruns, DVR playback, on demand, HBO Go, etc...), and those look higher than last season so far. They're not officially releasing same day numbers any more, though they are available through other sources, and there's some explanation as to why in this article. We're in a situation where some providers are holding the numbers a little closer to their vests.

Overall, I think it's very difficult to try and read the first run ratings numbers and draw large conclusions from them. There are a lot of factors at play here including the wide variety of options of how to view the episode, competing programming, holidays, etc... that can impact the first run numbers. Looking at a chart like the one posted in the other thread and stating that it's a definite decline due solely to piracy or diminishing interest or something else seems a little shortsighted. It's fun to speculate, but there isn't enough available information to draw wide-reaching conclusions.

bengraven

We'll hear at the end of this season how it's going, but if viewers remain about here I think they'll be happy for seven seasons.

It's strange though and yes, I blame piracy, because it's becoming more and more a household name. It was mentioned, what, twice at the presidential dinner? You would think this would be the biggest season yet.

Edit: yeah, that's a great article. This could very well still be their very best season yet.

kirblar

Leaks + HBO Go + Mother's day = Lower ratings? Too early to declare the show's viewership a "downward trend", I think.

That being said, Season 4 will be hard to top, if not downright impossible. It had a "whoa, holy shit!" moment each 2 or 3 episodes, whereas the other seasons stick to the "seven or eight episodes of set up, two episodes of hell breaking loose and another one for the aftermath" formula, which is bound to be replicated on this season too. And let's be honest here, S5 is adapting the worst parts of the saga, so of course that's gotta have a huge effect too.
Seriously, the premiere started out at a record high, then dropped for blatantly obvious reasons.

Patriots7

What do you guys think is happening next week? Horrible wedding number 17?
Haha I told my roommate earlier that Ramsay and Theon rape Ramsay's wife and likely include bestiality in the books, while he starves his first wife until she starts eating herself, so he and his girlfriend are definitely freaked out.

I mean I'm sure you can root through AWOIAF to determine actual size. I could be wrong, but I know Harrenhal is definitely the biggest with Winterfell not far behind.

The art on the wiki definitely makes the Dreadfort look rather...quaint?

350px-Dreadfort_Big.jpg

And then there's Harrenhal. I mean...look at that.
225302.jpg
Yeah I know Harrenhal was the largest by far. But my roommate was wondering what the Dreadfort was like and why the Bolton's wouldn't just make that the new capital as opposed to rebuild the broken Winterfell. Then it got me thinking that somewhere in the books they describe the Dreadfort as massive and it was almost impregnable when the Kings in the North and the Bolton Kings fault, which kind of made me wonder if the Dreadfort was indeed bigger than Winterfell.

Guess Winterfell is considerably grander than I had in my head.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah I know Harrenhal was the largest by far. But my roommate was wondering what the Dreadfort was like and why the Bolton's wouldn't just make that the new capital as opposed to rebuild the broken Winterfell. Then it got me thinking that somewhere in the books they describe the Dreadfort as massive and it was almost impregnable when the Kings in the North and the Bolton Kings fault, which kind of made me wonder if the Dreadfort was indeed bigger than Winterfell.

Guess Winterfell is considerably grander than I had in my head.

Winterfell is also the symbolic seat of power in the north, so whoever holds Winterfell is seen as the ruler of the north.

munchie64

Haha I told my roommate earlier that Ramsay and Theon rape Ramsay's wife and likely include bestiality in the books, while he starves his first wife until she starts eating herself, so he and his girlfriend are definitely freaked out.
Haha holy shit. If all that happens to Sansa I'm taking a break from the show.

FStubbs

Hard to believe the Starks let a castle called the Dreadfort exist on their lands for thousands of years.

THE DREADFORT

"Lord Stark, the Dreadfort is just part of our house lore like the flayed man. There to make our house seem foreboding and give some sense of notoriety to the Bolton name. Nothing to seriously dread in our fort whatsoever. Especially not the flaying of men."

"Sure."

Though I think an assumption here is that the Starks were always like Eddard.

Lothar

Banned
Doesn't it seem like the Unsullied thread is less invested this year? I've noticed the same thing with friends and family. I don't think it's because it's slow even though that's what lots of people are saying. The first half of every season except Season 4 is slow.

I think it's because characters are less likable this season. Other than Jon or Stannis, which they're doing an excellent job with.

Dany is burning people alive without a trial and being crazier/dumber than she was in the books. Hisdahr is more likable than Dany.
Jaime's character development has stalled. He's not fighting with his sister, he's not reminding people of his vows to save Sansa and Arya.
Sana is willingly putting herself in danger by marrying into the group that killed her family. She comes off as incredibly idiotic and this clearly should be a suicide mission for her. How can she think she would have a chance? I don't want her in that situation but it's hard to feel too sorry for her. She did it to herself.
Arya is barely around and Tyrion is just travelling. This was a problem with the books too.
Brienne is boring in the books and boring in the show.
Barristan is dead. Loras is a caricature.

On the other side for villains, Cersei is more sympathetic in the show so you don't root against her as much. (Wanting to send Jaime to Dorne to save her daughter and even lying to get him there is a noble move) Ramsay is not as hate able as he was in the books. People don't hate him as much as they did Joffrey. Perhaps this will change. But right now I don't feel that non-readers are wanting Stannis to destroy him as much as readers wanted Stannis to destroy Ramsay in the books.

I actually liked the last episode a lot by the way, but coming to the no-book spoiler thread and reading the complaints, I wonder if I liked it more because I have book knowledge. I know Jon going to Hardhome is a big thing. Every Ramsay/Sansa scene is tense for me because I know what could possibly be in store for her. I want to see Stannis take down Ramsay because I know Ramsay is the most evil character. I know Jaime is a completely changed character that plans to never again take up arms against the Tullys and Starks. I root against Cersei and I'm looking forward to her downfall because I remember things like her sending women to Qyburn to be torture killed.

Did anyone else notice that the hat the old guy was wearing in Winter Town looked like the hat Frey's wear? Maybe they're near for the wedding/Walda being pregnant. Also Brienne might have let the wrong guy in on her plans.

Also someone from some asoiaf podcast brought up the fact that Roose might be using the child to get Walder Frey to help him in the battle with Stannis. In the show Stannis has more troops but with the Frey's help Roose will have more.

I'm surprised they've spent more time on Sansa/Boltons than Arya, who easily has the most interesting arc in AFFC/ADWD. At least, the most interesting arc that the show is doing; book wise I'd say Theon had the most interesting arc.

Also surprised they're slow walking Dorne. Then again the Dorne stuff has been so bad maybe that's why. We heard so much about this being a season of romance between Trystane and Myrcella yet they haven't had a single (dialogue) scene.

Before the season I had hoped we'd see a scene of Ellaria and the Dornish army bringing Oberyn's casket back to Dorne. I imagined that scene sorta like the opening scene in Godfather II, with wailing women and crying men coming from everywhere to help carry the casket, give condolences, etc. That would have been a great opening Dorne scene, instead of the shit we got.

bengraven

Did anyone else notice that the hat the old guy was wearing in Winter Town looked like the hat Frey's wear?

I want to say you're being tinfoil and that he's wearing a typical middle ages "serf" hat, but this is a show that coordinates all their costumes based on the region so you may be right.

The Cat/Sansa scene comparison

Greatly done. I am also loving this storyline.

NotTheSameRocks #ANGRYGOTFAN

got_tv7cp78.png

Welp we're fucked. Six seasons it is.

(I'm kidding...)

Massa

I'm surprised they've spent more time on Sansa/Boltons than Arya, who easily has the most interesting arc in AFFC/ADWD. At least, the most interesting arc that the show is doing; book wise I'd say Theon had the most interesting arc.

The Sansa/Boltons plot is related to Theon, Jon, Stannis and Brienne. That's 5 POV characters. Arya will have some cool scenes and all but there's not much there.

Dysun

The show is entering the slow phase of the novels, thus losing a few of the viewership who are only interested in the shock & spectacle of the story. It's also butchering the source material, losing some of the more hardcore fans of the series. No surprise why it won't grow like Season 4

Massa

The show is entering the slow phase of the novels, thus losing a few of the viewership who are only interested in the shock & spectacle of the story. It's also butchering the source material, losing some of the more hardcore fans of the series. No surprise why it won't grow like Season 4

But the numbers are actually higher this season.

Mr Git

This is pretty painful. Arya's current arc is ace and the last we saw of her was washing down the corpse. Oh well, it should be pretty good when she kills Ser Meryn and becomes Face.

bengraven

Slightly higher for now with viewership dropping, nothing like the growth after the Red Wedding leading into Season 4

Like was said earlier, people are watching it differently now and HBO is doing their ratings differently. The ones you see on the downward scale are ones from the traditional sense.

As a show goes on, more people wait to watch the episode the day after, or during the repeat, on Demand, on HBOGo, on HBONow. And HBO is starting to find ways to bring that into the fold. The actual "ratings" at the end of the season will be very different than the ones you see in Jett's diagram.

Dysun

I guess we'll have to wait and see for the official tally. Feels like the show has already reached its apex in viewers and interest, but I could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom