• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I've had a week or so to ponder it, and I agree that it neither served the reputation of his character nor the excellent actor who played him.

However, I believe in terms of Dany's story, it makes sense for her to no longer have someone as level-headed as he was around her. I think they can salvage this situation by having Dany find herself in a situation that would have been impossible for Barristan to inhabit.

Like the scene when Arya goes to the Twins to reunite with her mother and brother. We want to see them together, but we don't want Arya to die too.

Dany has to lose big, and I'm afraid killing more of those soldiers who you've established are pretty well nameless is just not enough for the audience to invest. There should have been some more expendable characters around Dany.

mordane.jpg

Septa Mordane went out more a badass than Selmy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I do wish Selmy was still alive. I fell like he had more potential for entertainment and excitement within the show. He didn't necessarily HAVE to die so soon.

Or maybe he did. We'll see.

Speevy

Banned
I do wish Selmy was still alive. I fell like he had more potential for entertainment and excitement within the show. He didn't necessarily HAVE to die so soon.

Or maybe he did. We'll see.

Well someone did, at any rate. I'm sure D&D have a named character death quota for each season.

This season we've lost Barristan, Mance Rayder, and Janos Slynt. We'll probably lose Bronn next week. We could potentially lose Stannis, Roose, Ramsay, Melisandre, Shireen, or Selyse before season's end. Meryn Trant is definitely dying to Arya, and Mace Tyrell will die to Trant. They might kill Podrick if they're feeling adventurous.

Well someone did, at any rate. I'm sure D&D have a named character death quota for each season.

This season we've lost Barristan, Mance Rayder, and Janos Slynt. We'll probably lose Bronn next week. We could potentially lose Stannis, Roose, Ramsay, Melisandre, Shireen, or Selyse before season's end. Meryn Trant is definitely dying to Arya, and Mace Tyrell will die to Trant. They might kill Podrick if they're feeling adventurous.

I would be extremely surprised if any of them died. Ok except for Shireen.

Moff

we won't see the battle of winterfell this season. they already said they won't advance further than the book and the pace has been too slow so far.

we won't see the battle of winterfell this season. they already said they won't advance further than the book and the pace has been too slow so far.

They never said that, they said they were largely staying within the published material, and that the first and last scenes this season were in the books. That's doesn't mean there aren't scene in between that is beyond the publish material.

First of all we know Arya is killing Trant, and that is from Mercy from TWoW which is beyond the published material. I'd also argue that Barristan dying is them speeding up what would happen early in TWoW,

I think the battle of Winterfell is definitely happening.this year.

Thorgal

You know , watching back on Balon Grejoy :

He has and forever will be a stunted fool:

Theon:
"Oh hey dad, you know that guy I'm best buds with? Who holds domain over the North and the Riverlands? Well he says we're cool, and will proclaim us as kings of the Iron Islands, and even will give us the Westerlands to reave and pillage, you know, the richest fucking region in Westeros?"

Balon:
"Nah man, we gonna totally squander this opportunity because I can't get over my pettiness, and send all of our men to the North, you know, the region in Westeros that's worth almost fuck all and is mostly wild? Never mind that Winter is around the corner, and that our forces would take ungodly amounts of attrition, we gonna do this because "muh Iron price" "

5qxPR0C.gif

CassSept

lol I do think it is more relevant then those since it WAS introduced in the show and I'd consider it dangling. Obviously it's far from important at this point though.

Kiss of life was set up back in season 2 too. Hard to tell if it's used for Melisandre resurrecting Jon Snow since at this moment it seems she is going south with Stannis and obviously it doesn't happen at Castle Black, but Hardhome.

Aiii

So not worth it
lol I do think it is more relevant then those since it WAS introduced in the show and I'd consider it dangling. Obviously it's far from important at this point though.

It's gonna be fun that when the show is over and whoever ends up king or queen of the realm is always gonna have that "oh, but remember that Balon is still alive and considers himself King of the Iron Islands?" hanging over them.

It's gonna be fun that when the show is over and whoever ends up king or queen of the realm is always gonna have that "oh, but remember that Balon is still alive and considers himself King of the Iron Islands?" hanging over them.

Yara is coming back she will have some dialogue about Balon being dead

Mr Git

It'd be somewhat difficult to do Balon's death without doing any of the follow-up plot though. Unless they literally just have a scene announcing his death and then move on.

Aiii

So not worth it
No implications of Theon being king or Yara gaining control of all the Ironborn? nothing?

Who cares, here's a pair of tits. Look at the pretty naked body, look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Seriously though, they've added so many new scenes and complete storylines, it's weird that they're just omitting the original content in favor of lesser storylines.

I mean, did we really need a Missandei and Grey Worm romance? Did we really need Barry to die? That's 15 minutes you could have spent on a Balon Greyjoy dead scene right there.

bengraven

HBO is good about not letting too many plot details dangling after their show (except Pine Barrens), so I'm hoping we can assume we get more Balon and the Brotherhood before the end.

Theon:
"Oh hey dad, you know that guy I'm best buds with? Who holds domain over the North and the Riverlands? Well he says we're cool, and will proclaim us as kings of the Iron Islands, and even will give us the Westerlands to reave and pillage, you know, the richest fucking region in Westeros?"

Balon:
"Nah man, we gonna totally squander this opportunity because I can't get over my pettiness, and send all of our men to the North, you know, the region in Westeros that's worth almost fuck all and is mostly wild? Never mind that Winter is around the corner, and that our forces would take ungodly amounts of attrition, we gonna do this because "muh Iron price" "

5qxPR0C.gif

This, so much. Yara/Asha is literally the only sane Greyjoy in the series.

Mance and the Wildlings turning down Stannis's offer was just as stupid. He was literally going to give them what they wanted for fighting the same exact people they'd need to deal with had they gotten through the wall last season. But heaven forbid we kneel--we'd rather fight the Northerners without Stannis's help, knowing full well we need all the men and supplies we can spare once the White Walkers arrive. You know, Stannis, who lives in a castle sitting on a mine of dragonglass? -_-

Aiii

So not worth it
Mance and the Wildlings turning down Stannis's offer was just as stupid. He was literally going to give them what they wanted for fighting the same exact people they'd need to deal with had they gotten through the wall last season. But heaven forbid we kneel--we'd rather fight the Northerners without Stannis's help, knowing full well we need all the men and supplies we can spare once the White Walkers arrive. You know, Stannis, who lives in a castle sitting on a mine of dragonglass? -_-

When your whole identity and culture is about being truly free and not bowing to any one man? Yeah, there's not much in the world that could make you suddenly kneel to a king.

Had Stannis made this offer without the pledge of the wildlings being his subjects. Had he offered Mance this with the promise that the free folk would rule their own lands and not be subject to him afterwards, I'm 100% convinced Mance would have accepted.

But that's not how Stannis works, so they were in an impossible situation with no man willing to yield to the other.

When your whole identity and culture is about being truly free and not bowing to any one man? Yeah, there's not much in the world that could make you suddenly kneel to a king.

Had Stannis made this offer without the pledge of the wildlings being his subjects. Had he offered Mance this with the promise that the free folk would rule their own lands and not be subject to him afterwards, I'm 100% convinced Mance would have accepted.

But that's not how Stannis works, so they were in an impossible situation with no man willing to yield to the other.

And everyone getting killed by Wights, which was the whole reason that all those clans--many of which hated each other almost as much as the Nights Watch--were willing to swallow their pride and join Mance in the first place.

I understand why they did it, but that doesn't make it any less stupid long-term. The wildlings know better than anyone how dangerous the Walkers are.

Aiii

So not worth it
And everyone getting killed by Wights, which was the whole reason that all those clans--many of which hated each other almost as much as the Nights Watch--were willing to swallow their pride and join Mance in the first place.

I understand why they did it, but that doesn't make it any less stupid long-term. The wildlings know better than anyone how dangerous the Walkers are.

Hey, nobody ever said The Wildlings were known for being the smartest people in the realm.

Probably a lot better. All the episodes he's credited for are my favorites.

You like The Bear and the Maiden Fear?

That is probably my least favourite episode of the show.

I also feel that The Lion and the Rose was very direct and on-the-nose in terms of character interactions, and could have been handled a lot better.

The only episodes of his that I've really enjoyed are The Pointy End and Blackwater. I feel that D&D (and maybe Cogman) write better episodes than he does, especially with stuff like Watchers on the Wall and Mockingbird.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

It's some what beliveable because people are like that in real life and are so stubborn to each other that you want to punch them both in the face.

munchie64

HBO is good about not letting too many plot details dangling after their show (except Pine Barrens), so I'm hoping we can assume we get more Balon and the Brotherhood before the end.
Walder Frey is coming back, Botherhood isn't.
Source: Arya's list.

Maybe. Probably not.

Thorgal

This, so much. Yara/Asha is literally the only sane Greyjoy in the series.

I mean in one way i can understand his desire to take revenge for his defeat against Ned Stark , But any competent adviser or just someone with common sense could tell that Balons plan was stupid .

Drazgul

I mean in one way i can understand his desire to take revenge for his defeat against Ned Stark , But any competent adviser or just someone with common sense could tell that Balons plan was stupid .

He's been simmering in his shitty cold castle for almost two decades, wishing nothing but revenge. Offering the Iron Throne might not have been enough to override that hunger for vengeance.

"Dude, don't fuck this up for me - look back at her".

They better not wake the dragon.

tiAhhWH.png

TCRS

Banned
just watched the episode. I thought it's going to be a direwolf at the end of the kennel. hmm.

also goiing through valyria? what are they doing? other than that it felt like another filler episode.

ChaosXVI

I still think it's possible that the Greyjoy brothers could still appear, or at least one or two of them with some sort of character fusion occurring. Tyrion references them in Season 1, so they at least exist in the world, or did at some point...I suppose they could just be dead now in the show for no reason like Jojen and Barriston.

Theon:

Balon:

5qxPR0C.gif

I've thought this so many times. Balon Greyjoy was a total fucking idiot. We'll have to pay for it by the show abandoning the Greyjoys completely.

Speevy

Banned
just watched the episode. I thought it's going to be a direwolf at the end of the kennel. hmm.

also goiing through valyria? what are they doing? other than that it felt like another filler episode.

It was very important to establish that Barristan is in fact dead, and show what kind of life Sansa lives in Winterfell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom