• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I still can't get over that recast. Like, they didn't even try to make the new actor look like the old one. It would have made more sense to kill Daario off and replace him with a different character or something.

Darrio = Euron could exist in the show stance, but not the book stance. Because Darrio is doing shit with Dany when Euron come in and takes over the Iron Islands.

Yep, Euron is back in the Iron Islands fairly early in ASOS. Enough that there's time for Balon to die and word to reach Robb before the Red Wedding.

-griffy-

Banned
I still can't get over that recast. Like, they didn't even try to make the new actor look like the old one. It would have made more sense to kill Daario off and replace him with a different character or something.

I honestly think the addition of the beard was an attempt to "lessen" the change or something. Like "Oh, maybe it's the same guy, he just grew a beard in the off season."

I still prefer Huisman as Daario over that other guy, but it's always distracting when a show recasts a prominent part. Wish Huisman had the role from the get go.

Iksenpets

Banned
I honestly think the addition of the beard was an attempt to "lessen" the change or something. Like "Oh, maybe it's the same guy, he just grew a beard in the off season."

I still prefer Huisman as Daario over that other guy, but it's always distracting when a show recasts a prominent part. Wish Huisman had the role from the get go.

Yeah, I way prefer Huisman, but they should have had him go blonde or something to lessen the gap. Part of me suspects that they hated their original Daario so much that they wanted to get as far from him as possible with their new one.

Darrio = Euron could exist in the show stance, but not the book stance. Because Darrio is doing shit with Dany when Euron come in and takes over the Iron Islands.

Wasn't Daario constantly doing a lot of missions and stuff for Dany? I mean, he wasn't always by her side like Barristan or Grey Worm.

Dysun

Huisman is fine and the change is still better than the revolving Mountain, who was at his best in Season 1. Baby face Gregor last year could not be Sandor's older brother

kirblar

Yeah, I way prefer Huisman, but they should have had him go blonde or something to lessen the gap. Part of me suspects that they hated their original Daario so much that they wanted to get as far from him as possible with their new one.
"Oh, he's Euron?"

*Godamnit, get the casting director on the line"

:p

First guy is believably foreign Tyroshi. Second guy is handsome Bronn.

You all are looking Unsullied in the light right now.

When it comes to being faithful to the books, Daario is the last thing I care about. Huisman actually makes the whole Daario romance believable. The first guy didn't look foreign anyway.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Wasn't Daario constantly doing a lot of missions and stuff for Dany? I mean, he wasn't always by her side like Barristan or Grey Worm.

Yeah, but Balon died right before the Red Wedding, so Euron would've been there only a day later. It's hard to match up the timelines, because Dany is so far removed from the outside world, we never really know what is going on with her at what point in time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The reasoning is sound, but I actually think nu-Daario would've looked more like olde-Daario without the beard.

I thought Skrein's version of Daario was spot on, while Huisman's version is absolutely dreadful. I honestly don't understand why they didn't just kill Daario in the beginning of season 4 and introduce Huisman (or a different actor...) as a different character. Recasts completely shatter the illusion that they're trying to construct and it's not like Daario is that important of a character anyway.

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't really care what's more accurate to the book, I just care that I like Huisman better in the role.

Yep. Skrein was closer to the book, but book Daario is awful. They needed to completely redo that character for TV. Dany-Daario is a believable relationship on TV with Huisman. The book romance is ridiculous even when you account for Dany being an easily romanced teenager.

Yep. Skrein was closer to the book, but book Daario is awful. They needed to completely redo that character for TV. Dany-Daario is a believable relationship on TV with Huisman. The book romance is ridiculous even when you account for Dany being an easily romanced teenager.

On TV it just seems that Dany wants to get laid and chooses the sexiest man in her general vicinity. Can't blame her for that.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

why is the relationships in the book ridiculous?

Ratrat

why is the relationships in the book ridiculous?
I think the new show Dario is awful but I think Iksenpets is talking about the fact that Dany basically acknowledges that Dario is a terrible, cruel person but continues to fall head over heals for him and fantasizes of hitching in a farmhouse or something.

Also Dario's hawtness just does not translate well to the modern reader.

bengraven

Euron=Daario is impossible because of the timeline. It's as logical as the whole Mance=Rhaegar thing some people believe.

Proof:

1401724776305.jpg

I think the new show Dario is awful but I think Iksenpets is talking about the fact that Dany basically acknowledges that Dario is a terrible, cruel person but continues to fall head over heals for him and fantasizes of hitching in a farmhouse or something.

Also Dario's hawtness just does not translate well to the modern reader.

61b84820864a3d956fbd15a487397f2a-d1vosmv.jpg

This is how I felt reading Dorne chapters, not surprised at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll wait to fully judge this week's episode (and the rest of the season) until I actually see it in the episode, but it's a shame to see them adapt the Sand Snakes material without making an strong attempt to improve upon that.

bengraven

Sorry, damn internet connection when I'm trying to be snarky.

I'll wait to fully judge this week's episode (and the rest of the season) until I actually see it in the episode, but it's a shame to see them adapt the Sand Snakes material without making an strong attempt to improve upon that.

It's really cut and dry vengeance. Passion fueled, unthinking vengeance. I think if they end up just like Oberyn it will be a fitting end and a worthy part of the story. They tried to do what he failed to do because his passion ruined him, but he's so much smarter than them. So what chance do they have? They need another way.

In Doran we trust.

They could explain the time line in the books with magic. But the show has made me believe Euron = Daario even more. First they recast Daario to a guy who looks just how Euron is described in the books. Then he delivers a fleet to Dany the exact same size as Euron's fleet in the books. The new name of Daario's sell sword company in the show is the Storm Crows. Euron is the Crow's Eye. We could get the reveal at the end of this season when she is betrayed by Hiz in the books. Daario/Euron could be the main orchestrator in the show, with Hiz just being a pawn in his plan.

bengraven

They could explain the time line in the books with magic. But the show has made me believe Euron = Daario even more. First they recast Daario to a guy who looks just how Euron is described in the books. Then he delivers a fleet to Dany the exact same size as Euron's fleet in the books. The new name of Daario's sell sword company in the show is the Storm Crows. Euron is the Crow's Eye. We could get the reveal at the end of this season when she is betrayed by Hiz in the books. Daario/Euron could be the main orchestrator in the show, with Hiz just being a pawn in his plan.

Several times on Reddit and Westeros I've seen threads that seem to justify the timeline. It makes sense, even if you don't stretch things a bit.

Edit:

A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons timeline:
*Daenerys I: ADWD 3 Daario has gone away to try and make an alliance with the Lharazeen (Unsuccessful)
*Daenerys II: ADWD 12 Daario is still away.
*Daenerys III: ADWD 17 Last time we see Dany before the Kingsmoot. She recieves a letter from the Stormcrows saying theyre returning from Lhazar. "The Stormcrows were still many days away"
*Kingsmoot - The Drowned Man (Aeron II): AFFC 20 Euron is present. 8 Chapters until the next Dany chapter.
*Daenerys IV: ADWD 24 "Storms rage within the walls and without" Daario returns to the city. At the end of the chapter she sends the Stormcrows away again. 10 chapters pass with no Euron or Dany
*The Reaver (Victarion II): AFFC 30 Euron is at the Shield Islands
*Daenerys V: ADWD 31 Dany orders for the sellswords to be recalled to the city She dreams of "Daario dead by the road as crows quarrelled over his corpse" The Second Sons return 8 days later, but the Stormcrows do not return.
*Daenerys VI: ADWD 37 17 Chapters later Daario returns to the city.
*Daario was not in Meereen during the Kingsmoot or during Eurons raids on the Shield Islands. He had plenty of time (if he had warlocks) to travel from place to place.

It's tinfoil, but it's fun tinfoil that makes sense. I never believed in the 'foil until Aegon came true in Dance. Also, GRRM mentioning that he put two and two together about some characters that he never meant to. It makes me realize he does find connections between characters that we may miss (not likely). Is it true? Probably not, but it's possible.

I blame the long gap between books for making the tinfoil things I laugh over become more realistic as time goes on. Tyrion might be a Targ. Howland might be the High Septon. Probably not. But it's fun and I have nothing better to fucking do. ha

It's really cut and dry vengeance. Passion fueled, unthinking vengeance. I think if they end up just like Oberyn it will be a fitting end and a worthy part of the story. They tried to do what he failed to do because his passion ruined him, but he's so much smarter than them. So what chance do they have? They need another way.

In Doran we trust.
Agreed on the larger scale plot implications on their mindset.

On a character basis, with a small number of exceptions (Loras), the show has done a really good job of always displaying multiple facets of the characters. Hopefully we'll see that out of the Sand Snakes later in the season.

---------------------

"The Dance of Dragons" has shown up on the HBO schedule, so confirmed as the title for 509 (not that there was much doubt about it's legitimacy before as it came from HBO).

bengraven

Agreed on the larger scale plot implications on their mindset.

On a character basis, with a small number of exceptions (Loras), the show has done a really good job of always displaying multiple facets of the characters. Hopefully we'll see that out of the Sand Snakes later in the season.

---------------------

"The Dance of Dragons" has shown up on the HBO schedule, so confirmed as the title for 509 (not that there was much doubt about it's legitimacy before as it came from HBO).

I'm trying to think big picture here, too. The Deez had to choose, supposedly, and chose Dorne. Was it because ships are expensive? You wouldn't necessarily have to show too many of them. Maybe twice - and frankly you already have ships because you use them already a few times this season and last - just refit them for a few quick scenes. Maybe it's easier and less costly to film the Dorne scenes, but you already film in Ireland and that would be very close to what the Iron Islands would look like.

Or is it because Dorne plays a bigger part in the end? Maybe because with the prophecy this year you remind us that Cersei's children play a part in her fall and one of them is thousands of miles away and needs to come home.

Either way, they're looking like they chose the wrong story to follow so far. I think with the emphasis on Reek's part in the story (justifiably so since the more I think of it, Theon really is a major character in this story even in the books) that his being the possible last heir should have more story than just a few Benny Hill style shots of running from dogs. The Moot would have been awesome, even if you don't follow up with Euron and Vicki's quest for Dany and just have Victorian join up with Yara to get Theon back.

Kingsmoot next season cause HBO pressured D&D to do 8 seasons instead of 7

#believe

I don't really know who would pressure whom, to be honest. Obviously any extension from 7 to 8 seasons would necessarily involve renegotiating some contracts and that's complicated/tricky, but it also seems fairly obvious to me that TWOW's being set up to be another ASOS in terms of how much it'll have to move the story forward (and I'm also not strictly certain that ADOS won't get split into two books by the time we get there).

I'm kinda thinking 8 seasons with season 8 having 15 episodes, maybe.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm trying to think big picture here, too. The Deez had to choose, supposedly, and chose Dorne. Was it because ships are expensive? You wouldn't necessarily have to show too many of them. Maybe twice - and frankly you already have ships because you use them already a few times this season and last - just refit them for a few quick scenes. Maybe it's easier and less costly to film the Dorne scenes, but you already film in Ireland and that would be very close to what the Iron Islands would look like.

Or is it because Dorne plays a bigger part in the end? Maybe because with the prophecy this year you remind us that Cersei's children play a part in her fall and one of them is thousands of miles away and needs to come home.

Either way, they're looking like they chose the wrong story to follow so far. I think with the emphasis on Reek's part in the story (justifiably so since the more I think of it, Theon really is a major character in this story even in the books) that his being the possible last heir should have more story than just a few Benny Hill style shots of running from dogs. The Moot would have been awesome, even if you don't follow up with Euron and Vicki's quest for Dany and just have Victorian join up with Yara to get Theon back.

I really doubt it was a cost thing. The Spanish filming for Dorne and the large cast makes sure of that. I think they just felt that the Oberyn plot needed follow up, or else it would feel cheap to have introduced this character just for a dramatic death. And yeah, I would bet that the Dornish characters have more impact on the plot by the end of the story than any of the non-Euron Greyjoys. The Greyjoys story also lends itself to being told off-screen. "Balon died, his brother Euron has taken over." "Oh, I've heard rumors of this Euron! They say he's a creepy dude and consorts with foreign warlocks!" Done. Now he's set up for season 6.

But yeah, so far Dorne's been iffy. I wish they had stuck with a variant of the Queenmaker story instead of the way flatter "LET'S DISMEMBER HER!" That would've tempered the wild bloodlust and made them them seem like they maybe thought about this for more than 5 minutes.

munchie64

I don't really know who would pressure whom, to be honest. Obviously any extension from 7 to 8 seasons would necessarily involve renegotiating some contracts and that's complicated/tricky, but it also seems fairly obvious to me that TWOW's being set up to be another ASOS in terms of how much it'll have to move the story forward (and I'm also not strictly certain that ADOS won't get split into two books by the time we get there).

I'm kinda thinking 8 seasons with season 8 having 15 episodes, maybe.
Well I just read somewhere that D&D were set on 7, but HBO wanted 8.
No idea how true it is haha

Speevy

Banned
GRRM should totally troll D&D and give Barristan Selmy some enormous plot in the books that wouldn't work with anyone else. Have it cover 10 chapters and culminate with him as Dany's hand.

Do queens get a hand?

GRRM should totally troll D&D and give Barristan Selmy some enormous plot in the books that wouldn't work with anyone else. Have it cover 10 chapters and culminate with him as Dany's hand.

Do queens get a hand?
How would this be a troll? Why would HBO care?

You tell me, you first brought it up! Throwing quotes around something you mentioned is a bit odd.

I ask because the definiton is - "of, from, in, or characteristic of a country or language other than one's own."

Since the first actor played the character in a way very different than the bulk of Westorisi characters, whereas the new one is playing the cool, sell sword... I need you to explain what your impression of "foreign" is.

Iksenpets

Banned
I doubt they'd care, but I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy not having a really great story about a character they have already killed.

The reality is that Barristan might just die in the books now.

I really doubt Barry survives the siege of Meereen. He's probably been dead in GRRM's manuscript for years now.

Jacob

Do queens get a hand?

Isn't that what already happened in ADWD? I mean, it was only four chapters, but one of them is called "The Queen's Hand".

Patriots7

I doubt they'd care, but I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy not having a really great story about a character they have already killed.

The reality is that Barristan might just die in the books now.
I've always felt that Martin might deviate a bit from what he originally told D&D. I'd have no problem with it.

He's already talked about thinking about a huge change that the show would not be able to copy because of how they've revised their script.

Speevy

Banned
Here's a question.

If smallfolk have no surname, how do you explain Karl Tanner?

Aside from being a fookin' legend of Gin Alley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom