• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

CFI3GqYVIAEcOeb.jpg

bengraven

I really doubt it was a cost thing. The Spanish filming for Dorne and the large cast makes sure of that. I think they just felt that the Oberyn plot needed follow up, or else it would feel cheap to have introduced this character just for a dramatic death. And yeah, I would bet that the Dornish characters have more impact on the plot by the end of the story than any of the non-Euron Greyjoys. The Greyjoys story also lends itself to being told off-screen. "Balon died, his brother Euron has taken over." "Oh, I've heard rumors of this Euron! They say he's a creepy dude and consorts with foreign warlocks!" Done. Now he's set up for season 6.

But yeah, so far Dorne's been iffy. I wish they had stuck with a variant of the Queenmaker story instead of the way flatter "LET'S DISMEMBER HER!" That would've tempered the wild bloodlust and made them them seem like they maybe thought about this for more than 5 minutes.

You could have someone send a message to Bolton. Bolton unfurls it, his usual bored duckface on:

"hm, so your pet's father is dead...his uncle Euron has been chosen to succeed him".
"Did you hear that, Reek? Your poor daddy's dead and his little cock is being eaten by fish. You're not going to cry on me are you?"
"Ramsay, Euron is..."
"Excuse me? Are we forgetting our place? You don't call me Ramsay - I am your LORD. You are REEK. I guess we'll need to take more of your fingers..."
"I'm...s-sorry m'm'mlord, but there's one person I'm more afraid of than you..."

We see Daario on a ship, one eye covered in a patch, Dany's dragons in chains behind him.

"And that man is Euron Greyjoy..."

One of the dragons rears up and roars while Daario grins and rubs his naked gold ladies.

Fade to black. Season 5 is over.

I've always felt that Martin might deviate a bit from what he originally told D&D. I'd have no problem with it.

He's already talked about thinking about a huge change that the show would not be able to copy because of how they've revised their script.

Yeah, I think the only thing he'll keep in place is the ending and who's where at the end. That's the only real thing I'm scared of spoiling and that's BECAUSE the books will ruin it.

Nothing else I'm worried about since they're going their own direction now.

But in the end, that last episode, will be the greatest spoiler the show has ever given us.

This is why I dislike certain aspects of the show.

I don't understand why they kept the Jaime/Cersei thing going at all. cut out their romance at the end of S4 (I think?) and have him get Myrcella because of "muh honor" or something. Jaime literally saved the entire population of KL but unsullied don't care because he's such a bad character. good job D&D.

Yeah, I think the only thing he'll keep in place is the ending and who's where at the end. That's the only real thing I'm scared of spoiling and that's BECAUSE the books will ruin it.

Nothing else I'm worried about since they're going their own direction now.

But in the end, that last episode, will be the greatest spoiler the show has ever given us.

but if the ending is terrible at least we can get all of our rage out in 3 years instead of never in 10 years.

Euron

You could have someone send a message to Bolton. Bolton unfurls it, his usual bored duckface on:

"hm, so your pet's father is dead...his uncle Euron has been chosen to succeed him".
"Did you hear that, Reek? Your poor daddy's dead and his little cock is being eaten by fish. You're not going to cry on me are you?"
"Ramsay, Euron is..."
"Excuse me? Are we forgetting our place? You don't call me Ramsay - I am your LORD. You are REEK. I guess we'll need to take more of your fingers..."
"I'm...s-sorry m'm'mlord, but there's one person I'm more afraid of than you..."

We see Daario on a ship, one eye covered in a patch, Dany's dragons in chains behind him.

"And that man is Euron Greyjoy..."

One of the dragons rears up and roars while Daario grins and rubs his naked gold ladies.

Fade to black. Season 5 is over.

I 100% approve of this :D

I doubt they'd care, but I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy not having a really great story about a character they have already killed.

The reality is that Barristan might just die in the books now.
I'm absolutely certain that Barristan is going to die in TWOW. Every death serves a purpose. His death removes Dany's best figure of council and guidance, making her more likely to descend into madness. My biggest problem is how he died in the show and how it goes against GRRM's storytelling.

GRRM has a thing for ironic deaths. Ned the honorable man was executed for treason. Robb who never lost a battle was killed at a wedding. Tywin, the wealthiest man in the world known for his pride was murdered by his dwarf son while taking a shit. Drogo was one of the world's greatest warriors and died of an infection. You get my point.

I think there's a particular death planned for Barristan that is in line with the rest of these. The greatest knight there ever was dying in battle protecting the land of his queen does not fit with these. Being killed by a minor underling is in a way ironic but for Barristan it's completely unrealistic. The whole scene went against Barristan's entire character.

In the books I see two possibilities at the moment: Either Barristan will be betrayed by someone who turns out to be the Harpy (probably the Green Grace) or he will die by a command (either directly or indirectly) given from Dany to her dragons to burn everything.

bengraven

but if the ending is terrible at least we can get all of our rage out in 3 years instead of never in 10 years.

GRRM might write it much better.

True story: I was writing that and instead of "Daario" I wrote "Mads Mikkelsen is on the ship with an eyepatch..." and then caught myself and chuckled like hipsterpants' avatar because what I was saying? Despite who people want to play Euron, he's already been cast last season... >:D

tumblr_nnp1gi2gDI1tlcevno2_500.gif

I think there's a particular death planned for Barristan that is in line with the rest of these. The greatest knight there ever was dying in battle protecting the land of his queen does not fit with these. Being killed by a minor underling is in a way ironic but for Barristan it's completely unrealistic. The whole scene went against Barristan's entire character.

In the books I see two possibilities at the moment: Either Barristan will be betrayed by someone who turns out to be the Harpy (probably the Green Grace) or he will die by a command (either directly or indirectly) given from Dany to her dragons to burn everything.

I'd bet money that the Shavepate is either the Harpy or working with him/her, and that Barristan is being set up. He'll be betrayed during the battle, perhaps by the pit fighters.

Iksenpets

Banned

I'm absolutely certain that Barristan is going to die in TWOW. Every death serves a purpose. His death removes Dany's best figure of council and guidance, making her more likely to descend into madness. My biggest problem is how he died in the show and how it goes against GRRM's storytelling.

GRRM has a thing for ironic deaths. Ned the honorable man was executed for treason. Robb who never lost a battle was killed at a wedding. Tywin, the wealthiest man in the world known for his pride was murdered by his dwarf son while taking a shit. Drogo was one of the world's greatest warriors and died of an infection. You get my point.

See, what I would have preferred for the show to do, given that his death has to be rewritten since the battle is cut, is do what they did here, but have him survive the fight. That way he gets his moment as a hero, having saved Grey Worm. Then, the Harpy recognize him as a threat, so at the pit scene, they intentionally poison him, as a replacement for the accidental poisoning of Belwas. Then he can go out taking down a few Harpies and protecting Dany until the poison takes him. Or maybe he could distract Drogon like in the books, but this time as a dying man's suicide mission. Either way, the greatest knight goes down to cheap poison, but at least gets to remind everyone that he really is the greatest knight in doing so, and go out in an actually dramatic scene.

And their Harpy attack scene would still serve its purpose; I think it would still be pretty believable that she would overrule Barristan's call for Mercy in light of the Harpy escalating the battle after her previous call for calm.

Speevy

Banned
Well, he's dead in any case.

In the preview,
Daario is fighting in the pits. I wonder if this is voluntary or brought on by something else, and does he survive? He has to if he's Euron.

Massa

I don't understand why they kept the Jaime/Cersei thing going at all. cut out their romance at the end of S4 (I think?) and have him get Myrcella because of "muh honor" or something. Jaime literally saved the entire population of KL but unsullied don't care because he's such a bad character. good job D&D.

Some people just don't like Jamie. That happens to people who read the books as well, he's not a saint.

ryseing

I blame the long gap between books for making the tinfoil things I laugh over become more realistic as time goes on. Tyrion might be a Targ. Howland might be the High Septon. Probably not. But it's fun and I have nothing better to fucking do. ha

Roose Bolton might be a vampire.

#believe

Lothar

Banned
But books 4 and 5 aren't even good.

The problem of books 4 and 5 were the bloat. If books 4 and 5 were condensed down to 1 book and the climaxes of the books weren't cut out and put into book 6, that would make for one fantastic book. Every bit as good as Storm of Swords.

Since the show is condensing it down to one season, there's no reason the show shouldn't be seen as a massive improvement on books 4 and 5. But it's not. The good parts are not even close to the good book parts. As I said in this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=163936282&highlight=#post163936282, the likable characters are not as likable as they should be (Jaime, Dany, Loras, Sansa) and the unlikable characters are not as unlikable as they should be. (Cersei, Ramsay) So it leaves a lot of people just feeling bored.

I liked the last episode but it was only good, it should be great. It should be emmy award quality.

The problem is that they aren't translating the best parts of books 4 and 5 to the show:

- Cersei is a sympathetic character, meaning her downfall is less satisfying.
- Jaime is who the hell knows, no character development seems to be occurring.
- Theon's story can't be told as well because of the lack of internal monologues. Sansa takes up all of his time with her idiotic story. (Reek --> Theon is my favorite pat of ADWD).
- Arya is barely there (though she was sporadic in the book as well).
- I think Dany's chapters suck, but at least there was more explanation for her actions.

Instead we get such great moments like Brienne and Pod being annoying and Grey Worm and Missandei's touching romance.

Also I love how we get even more Ramsay than in the books, yet he's actually less apparently evil than in the books. How the hell does that happen?

bengraven

You're not familiar with our many running gags, I take it.

The problem is that they aren't translating the best parts of books 4 and 5 to the show:

- Theon's story can't be told as well because of the lack of internal monologues. Sansa takes up all of his time with her idiotic story. (Reek --> Theon is my favorite pat of ADWD).
- I think Dany's chapters suck, but at least there was more explanation for her actions.

Instead we get such great moments like Brienne and Pod being annoying and Grey Worm and Missandei's touching romance.

Also I love how we get even more Ramsay than in the books, yet he's actually less apparently evil than in the books. How the hell does that happen?

I think we're actually getting the only good parts of those books.

Except:

- Kevan Lannister being a badass
- the fucking boat trip with Tyrion that I swear to God people is actually good don't tell me it's not
- burning of the Tower of the Hand (maybe?)

Massa

Yeah, it's a shame people focus so much on the negatives. We've had awesome Stannis scenes throughout the season but there's more discussion about that 3 minutes of Sand Snakes instead.

Fully agree with all of this. Pretty much nothing I enjoyed from the books has been retained, but hey, at least we get more riveting Grey Worm and Missandei.

What's more important to the show is not if Feast/Dance are "good", but what issues they present for adaption.

They have plenty of that.

Showaddy

What's more important to the show is not if Feast/Dance are "good", but what issues they present for adaption.

They have plenty of that.

Yeah it's not a question of whether people enjoyed the Brienne/Dany/Tyrion/Dorne Arcs or not but how fit they are for a TV adaptation. Which they're not in the slightest.

ryseing

Yeah, it's a shame people focus so much on the negatives. We've had awesome Stannis scenes throughout the season but there's more discussion about that 3 minutes of Sand Snakes instead.

Non book readers in general are starting to like Stannis.

I never thought that would be possible after the thorough character assassination inflicted on him.

Props to D&D for getting that right at least.

hoos30

That is how bad the show has gotten. To be fair, they are also translating some things that were in the book badly to the screen while they add good stuff.

The show story is better than the book story at this point. The Red Viper was GRRM's last hurrah...it's all down hill from there.

munchie64

Painting D&D as assholes for killing a character that's probably gonna die soon anyway is pretty ridiculous.
As are some weird complaints. Cersei sympathetic? Lol wat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom