• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Hello guys! I've just finished my week-long Thrones hiatus, brought on by the faux outrage over that scene, and I topped it all off with a trip to Sophie Turner's hometown. So now I'm right back where I started. Brilliant.

Did I miss anything major? I haven't been on Watchers all week either.

Description for episode nine, and first location scouting info for season 6 also came out. There were a few details discussed with each of those stories, but nothing too major. The Sansa controversy has been dead for a few days, at least in this thread. There's another thread about it, but I haven't been reading it. I've noticed a bit of a backlash to the backlash in writing I've seen around the Internet, but nothing to compare to the initial furor.

What about "Theon drowns"?

I found that hilarious when I saw it on the Blu-ray during my rewatch.

Episode nine description spoilers:
Daenerys oversees a celebration of athleticism.
is also pretty great.

Dysun

Isn't tonight the
Sam/Gilly sex scene?

I can't wait!

67b.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
Hello guys! I've just finished my week-long Thrones hiatus, brought on by the faux outrage over that scene, and I topped it all off with a trip to Sophie Turner's hometown. So now I'm right back where I started. Brilliant.

Did I miss anything major? I haven't been on Watchers all week either.
You should watch the Coldplay/Game of Thrones musical with the cast that was done for Red Nose Day. It's surprisingly funny and well done.

Kain

Holy fuck, was rewatching Kick-ass 2 and saw Jorah Mormont without a suit of armor speaking with an american accent, I totally didn't remember he was in this.

Fuck this is weird.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Indira Varma was excellent in Rome. She played her character with subtlety, grace, and depth. Now she must AVENGE OBERYN and she sucks.

That's because her character in Rome was written with subtlety, grace, and depth. Ellaria is written as a one note AVENGE character, so that's how she comes across. Actors can only do so much with the material that they're given.

That's because her character in Rome was written with subtlety, grace, and depth. Ellaria is written as a one note AVENGE character, so that's how she comes across. Actors can only do so much with the material that they're given.

Agreed. Which is why I defend the Sand Snake actresses as well. It's not their fact that the writing is trash.

Oberyn was charming, funny, and serious alongside being focused on revenge. There was more to him then declarations of anger/vengeance/etc. Contrast with the Sand Snakes, who haven't had any time to display their personalities. They're just goons on the show, basically.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Agreed. Which is why I defend the Sand Snake actresses as well. It's not their fact that the writing is trash. They're just goons on the show, basically.

It's so strange to me that they cast all these talented actresses as the Sand Snakes if all they're going to be are "goons" - fighters. (unless they're intending to give them more non-action scenes in the coming seasons, then it would make sense) As it stands, I don't know why they didn't just cast stunt women instead.

Iksenpets

Banned
Agreed. Which is why I defend the Sand Snake actresses as well. It's not their fact that the writing is trash.

Oberyn was charming, funny, and serious alongside being focused on revenge. There was more to him declarations of anger/vengeance/etc. Contrast with the Sand Snakes, who haven't had any time to display their personalities. They're just goons on the show, basically.

Yep. The casting on the show has been so good I can't believe that they entirely fucked up on three characters. The writing is just bad and the whole overarching plot is ill-conceived. I liked the Dorne plot in the book, and I still think the slimmed-down, Ellaria-centric version here could have worked, but not like this.

Oberyn was such a multi-faceted character, they could have easily written three distinct daughters who all still embodied various aspects of his character. Obara as the anger-prone warrior, Nymeria as the intelligent and refined noble, Tyene as the sensuous and caring daughter. And all of them smart enough and in tune enough that their father's wishes that they would have dismissed the idea of murdering a teenaged girl.

I feel bad for everyone who had to get swept up in the thing. I kind of hope they get a chance to redeem themselves in season 6 when they get relocated into the King's Landing plot. I have to assume that whatever story they have there is the reason they were included, and that it'll be strong enough and they'll be afforded enough screen time to make it work. And the move northward would give them an excuse to reenvision the look and costuming for the characters, too, and to drop their silly weapons.

I think the Ironborn storyline will be in season 6.

Believe!

But they already cut Balon's brothers from the HBO family tree. It stands to reason that the Ironborn are cut for good, and we'll only see Theon. We might not even have Asha/Yara getting captured at Deepwood Motte and taken along by Stannis.

Speevy

Banned
We already know Yara is in the season. They could easily have the Balon's brothers with a couple of lines, but then people would be even madder that they don't have a proper storyline.

Well the "captured fleet of Meereen" is already the exact same size (down to the same number) as the Iron Fleet of Victarion in the books, so that part is definitely gone...

Iksenpets

Banned
We already know Yara is in the season. They could easily have the Balon's brothers with a couple of lines, but then people would be even madder that they don't have a proper storyline.

I would have thought they would have tied Yara back into the North this season, but if she doesn't appear by this episode or maybe episode 8 at the latest then it's probably too late for that, and they're probably just going to have her head back to the Islands for another episode 10 set-up scene. Not sure how I'll feel about that if that's the case. I don't think they've delivered well enough on this season to convince viewers to get hyped for a season 6 return to the Iron Islands that they don't care about.

Real Hero

Well the "captured fleet of Meereen" is already the exact same size (down to the same number) as the Iron Fleet of Victarion in the books, so that part is definitely gone...
'all our ships were burnt my queen but don't worry this cool looking mother fucker with a burning hand has shown up with a fleet'

plz make it happen

Speevy

Banned
Even though this is cheesy writing, I always thought it would be funny to have Ramsay fleeing Stannis' army to the sea and Yara is waiting for him.

If I had to guess

Yara is on screen, mentions Balon is dead, Theon is next in line. Takes control of Ironborn for the time being.

Decides she needs to rescue Theon, finds out he is at WInterfell. Gathers her troops to go there.

Basically, battle of Winterfell becomes a 3-way fight or something. I guess.

Iksenpets

Banned
Even though this is cheesy writing, I always thought it would be funny to have Ramsay fleeing Stannis' army to the sea and Yara is waiting for him.

I felt like in the books things were building towards Asha playing a pretty important role in Stannis' win in the North. If that's the case for the show, my theory was that she would find out her father is dead and her exiled uncle has usurped her role as her father's heir in her absence. She doesn't have enough men to challenge him, so she faces the decision to either go home and accept Euron as King, or stay in the North to wait for the Boltons to kill her. Then she could decide to go join Stannis as a way around that. She shows up just in time to help Stannis with th battle, on the condition that Stannis acknowledge her as heir to the Iron Islands and promises to support her claim against Euron. That gets all the pieces roughly where they should be. But time is running low to do anything like that.

Yara appearance is confirmed by WoTW

Balon I doubt is in.

To be clear, they have more or less found confirmation that she's in this season, not necessarily in tonight's episode.

I felt like in the books things were building towards Asha playing a pretty important role in Stannis' win in the North. If that's the case for the show, my theory was that she would find out her father is dead and her exiled uncle has usurped her role as her father's heir in her absence. She doesn't have enough men to challenge him, so she faces the decision to either go home and accept Euron as King, or stay in the North to wait for the Boltons to kill her. Then she could decide to go join Stannis as a way around that. She shows up just in time to help Stannis with th battle, on the condition that Stannis acknowledge her as heir to the Iron Islands and promises to support her claim against Euron. That gets all the pieces roughly where they should be. But time is running low to do anything like that.

Considering Cogman's comments about Yara's rescue attempt in season 4 was going to be important in the decisions she makes in the future, I think they could justify a narrative where Yara joins Stannis to try and make the Bolton's pay for what they did to her brother.

Support from Stannis for her as the heir to the Iron Islands as you suggest makes sense as well.

Iksenpets

Banned
To be clear, they have more or less found confirmation that she's in this season, not necessarily in tonight's episode.

Considering Cogman's comments about Yara's rescue attempt in season 4 was going to be important in the decisions she makes in the future, I think they could justify a narrative where Yara joins Stannis to try and make the Bolton's pay for what they did to her brother.

Support from Stannis for her as the heir to the Iron Islands as you suggest makes sense as well.

Yeah, it was also the way he stressed the importance of her viewing herself as the heir that made me think that up, that she fled the fight because she was heir and had to survive. That would make Euron usurping her something that would hurt her really hard, since it would make her whole act of selfless cowardice meaningless. Being stuck between him and the Boltons seems like enough motivation to get her to team up with Stannis, even if it means surrendering her claim to queenhood.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I will be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

eot

Banned
I wish they'd included the ghost of high heart in the show, especially if they're actually going to get around to killing Balon.

Iksenpets

Banned
Tonight's episode seems really packed to try to work in a Yara cameo. Every plot except Arya is confirmed to be in there. Not sure how they'd make time for that.

I'd die laughing if they off Balon and "Wall" the kingsmoot stuff, introducing and concluding it over two or three scenes in a single episode.

(Edit: To clarify, if they could somehow find a way to leave it out entirely, I'd be on board.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Stannis was taking Asha around with him to show her his style of ruling, potentially get her loyalty and support, and put her (or Theon with her by his side) on the Seastone Chair so that the Ironborn stop rebelling once he takes the Iron Throne.
There also seems to be some major treating going on between Stannis, the Ironborn in Torrhen's Square (who are loyal to the Houses that supported Asha at the Kingsmoot) and the Northern Lords, just very undercover. Tycho Nestoris seems to play a central role in it, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom