• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

What. Ellaria isn't Oberyn's sister.

I know fans joke about incest in this series, but the Targaryens are the ones who fully embrace it. The rest of Westeros seem to only go as far as cousin marrying.

Metroxed

I often think they don't have a long term plan, so they introduce plot points on the off chance they want to use them. They made a big point of Roose being concerned The Blackfish had escaped, but it doesn't look like that's going anywhere (wtf has he been? no mention of a siege at Riverun).

Yeah... they haven't mentioned either the Blackfish nor Edmure again. Where are they?

I kinda wished they would've sent Jaime on this original mission to the Riverlands. I mean, we could still have Dorne, perhaps Bronn along with a Kingsguard (so a bit more similar to the books, I dunno). I get they didn't want to introduce more characters, but they did on season 4 (Oberyn) and were very successful, it could've worked again.

Damerman

What. Ellaria isn't Oberyn's sister.

I know fans joke about incest in this series, but the Targaryens are the ones who fully embrace it. The rest of Westeros seem to only go as far as cousin marrying.
Just looked it up, i seem to have been confused somewhere because i could have sworn she was somehow related to oberyn.

Picture was created by a show-only viewer I'm guessing.

The books version is Hot Pie, Gendry, Rickon, Osha, Benjen Stark all chilling at the Inn at the Crossroads.

BTW - was that inn the set they used for the Brienne/Sansa scene in episode 2? In terms of condensing a lot of events to all semi-coincidentally happen in one location, it's one of the things the books did that felt the most like the sort of decision that TV showrunners would make.

Ratrat

Whats the worst thing about dorne to you? Cuz to me its sand dnakes and oberyn's sister/lover, oberyn's sister in particular.
The entire plot/structure. Absolutely nothing works with how they went about trying to do this story. They must not have allotted much of their budget here because there is no sense of scale and everything looks cheap.
Those characters are done badly, but so are Myrcella and Trystane. And that's on the writing/directing,

Moff

Thanks. Kind of lame if true since it goes against what we assume is going to happen. I guess we'll see!

lame because something unexpected happens? that's not my definition of lame and certainly not that scene, I think that sounds amazing and if done right could easily be one of the most epic fantasy scenes we have ever seen both on TV and in a movie. it doesn't hurt that the season didn't have much cgi so far, it looks like they saved their budget for that and the pit of course.

cj_iwakura

lame because something unexpected happens? that's not my definition of lame and certainly not that scene, I think that sounds amazing and if done right could easily be one of the most epic fantasy scenes we have ever seen both on TV and in a movie. it doesn't hurt that the season didn't have much cgi so far, it looks like they saved their budget for that and the pit of course.

(Rumor spoilers)
How will they find time for the Ramsey war, though?

(Rumor spoilers)
I don't think we'll see any full-blown Battle of Winterfell this season. We've heard about Stannis's camp being burnt, but I'd be surprised if we saw anything more extensive that that. I expect to see it all poised on a knife's edge at the end of episode 10.

Moff

(Rumor spoilers)

I doubt hardhome will be a full hour battle, they surely had time for the winterfell battle, even in episode 9 or 10. but i doubt it would be something big, honestly it's just a bit boring.
blackwater had a fleet of ships and the bomb. the wall had a very interesting location as well as interesting opponents in the wildlings with their mammoths and giants. I just don't see anything interesting in the winterfell battle than men cutting each other up so we will probably get 5 or 10 minutes of that, but I wouldn't expect more.

cj_iwakura

I doubt hardhome will be a full hour battle, they surely had time for the winterfell battle, even in episode 9 or 10. but i doubt it would be something big, honestly it's just a bit boring.
blackwater had a fleet of ships and the bomb. the wall had a very interesting location as well as interesting opponents in the wildlings with their mammoths and giants. I just don't see anything interesting in the winterfell battle than men cutting each other up so we will probably get 5 or 10 minutes of that, but I wouldn't expect more.

Melisandre casting Meteo, of course.

I don't think we'll see any full-blown Battle of Winterfell this season. We've heard about Stannis's camp being burnt, but I'd be surprised if we saw anything more extensive that that. I expect to see it all poised on a knife's edge at the end of episode 10.
Or there might not be a battle to show, they could resolve the situation without one.

eot

Banned
I'm going to be annoyed if Stannis' army gets wiped out without proper justification only to serve the plot. They've made a point of saying that he has a numerical advantage (did he get sellswords already? it's so unclear) and that he's the greatest military commander bla bla. It would be so like the show to have him lose in an underwhelming manner. I know it's basically operation barbarossa, but still.

Madness

Melisandre leaves with Stannis but they need her back at Castle Black for Jon. I'm betting Stannis never makes it to Winterfell (no need for the battle), Theon/Sansa still escape, and he sends Melisandre back to Jon to try and negotiate some help/assistance from the Nights Watch or wildlings to help him which is when they might get her to go back and warn Jon.

They personally noted the weather could turn at any moment, winter is coming. I can easily see Stannis army just being held up by weather. Or they might lose a key battle and have to retreat since Northerners like the Boltons have the advantage?

Finally sat down and marathoned season 5 up until this point. Eesh, people weren't exaggerating the Dorne stuff, especially the Sand Snakes. Similarly, the Sansa scene was pretty brutal. Not as bad as what happens in the books, but still pretty bad for a lot of the reasons I've seen outlined here. Interested to see how the show handles that moving forward and the upcoming battle in the North.

I guess the Greyjoy stuff got moved and will be reworked in season 6?
I see that Balon is supposed to be in episode 10 of this season? Then yeah, I guess they'll kill him and then rework the kingsmoot next season.

I'm going to be annoyed if Stannis' army gets wiped out without proper justification only to serve the plot. They've made a point of saying that he has a numerical advantage (did he get sellswords already? it's so unclear) and that he's the greatest military commander bla bla. It would be so like the show to have him lose in an underwhelming manner. I know it's basically operation barbarossa, but still.

I think that's why he's going to lose, to be honest.

In the books Stannis is stuck between a rock and a hard place. His army is stuck in the snow with a bunch of ragtag Northern houses who aren't particular loyal to him, his own army can't function on the Northern terrain/in the Winter snow and people have resorted to cannibalism but he keeps marching because he is a King and that's what Kings do.

I think they're bigging Stannis up in the show so his defeat will be more shocking to the audience.

Phenomena

I think they're bigging Stannis up in the show so his defeat will be more shocking to the audience.

I wouldn't consider Stannis losing to be shocking. Personally I think that him winning would be more of a surprise for me.

He lost at Blackwater with a bigger force and the show has a trend where the "good guys" always seem to bite the dust when they're about to be victorious.

Madness

I think that's why he's going to lose, to be honest.

In the books Stannis is stuck between a rock and a hard place. His army is stuck in the snow with a bunch of ragtag Northern houses who aren't particular loyal to him, his own army can't function on the Northern terrain/in the Winter snow and people have resorted to cannibalism but he keeps marching because he is a King and that's what Kings do.

Book Stannis isn't Show Stannis anymore. Show Stannis is now well funded by the Iron Bank of Braavos and now has ten times the men, whereas book Stannis is poor, has lost almost all of his fleet and men, and was even wanting Wildlings to fight for him, wanting Jon to sign over castles to house what's left of his men, to recruit those Northern lords.

There's no reason he has to be defeated per se. But if he is, I think it'll be the perfect time for Ser Davos to be sent off to White Harbor for that one quest. Having Rickon Stark on his side could help in having all the North rally behind Stannis then. Who knows. They've diverged so much, I don't even know if they'll be similar at all until the end.

I wouldn't consider Stannis losing to be shocking. Personally I think that him winning would be more of a surprise for me.

He lost at Blackwater with a bigger force and the show has a trend where the "good guys" always seem to bite the dust when they're about to be victorious.
Everyone dies at some point, but him straight up lose to human enemies (and it's only one single house in the show) is very lame.

Bumping Oldtown/Pyke stuff to next season would be a sensible way to give AFFC/ADWD about a season and a half, I suppose. Of course, Pyke taking place *after* the Winterfell business is an interesting choice depending on where Theon ends up, but Oldtown would indicate further Sand Snake business afoot (lol noooo) and pairing the two together suggests that the Faceless Men will be a big deal in S6/TWOW.

bengraven

Stannis is going to die a lame death, isn't he?

You know, since we all "know" he's going to die, I've been thinking that it actually makes sense. I think his story is essentially done. If it's true that Mel believes Jon to be AA and by resurrecting him he is now the living embodiment of that, then Stannis's story is over. Mel has turned on him and his purpose in the books is finished. There isn't a need for another contender to the throne. I think Shireen's Grayscale is going to prove to be something in the future and it would make sense if she was alone, away from her father, when it happened.

tl:dr - now that Jon's AA and Mel is obsessed with him, Stannis can die a heroic death; his story is ended

You know, since we all "know" he's going to die, I've been thinking that it actually makes sense. I think his story is essentially done. If it's true that Mel believes Jon to be AA and by resurrecting him he is now the living embodiment of that, then Stannis's story is over. Mel has turned on him and his purpose in the books is finished. There isn't a need for another contender to the throne. I think Shireen's Grayscale is going to prove to be something in the future and it would make sense if she was alone, away from her father, when it happened.

tl:dr - now that Jon's AA and Mel is obsessed with him, Stannis can die a heroic death; his story is ended
I think it's also important that every single one of the original Five Kings ends up dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom