• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got Robson and Jerome in my Game of Thrones. Which was immediately followed by tits. This season's crazy, but I like it.

And on reflection I'd probably still fuck her even after she poisoned me.

I haven't seen any theories in a while, in this this thread, but are we to assume that Mance Rayder is actually killed off? Any chance of him turning up at Winterfell to help Sansa (or Stannis)?

bengraven

I haven't seen any theories in a while, in this this thread, but are we to assume that Mance Rayder is actually killed off? Any chance of him turning up at Winterfell to help Sansa (or Stannis)?

Since Rattleshirt is in Hardhome, who knows what's going on with that story except to assume he's dead.

I can't wait for tv viewers to get around to reading the books someday.

HOLY SHIT MANCE IS ALIVE.

HOLY SHIT CAT IS A ZOMBIE.

HOLY SHIT THERE ARE IRONBORN STILL AROUND!?

bengraven

Tyrion had a predictable reaction to the Sand Snake scene (warning, crass humour).

3584603_o.gif

The one thing that makes me regret being a book reader is to be forced to hang out in this thread with the daario/euron/victarion fanboys/conspiracy theorists.

Other than that. I was really looking forward to that scene this Cersei, and it was very well delivered. It's too bad everything great in this show has to come from the books
(well, to be completely fair, Arya/Tywin scenes in S2 were quite good)

Iksenpets

Banned
It's a really good point. She consented to trying to bring the house down from the inside - her strength was now that she could deal with the trauma having outlasted Joffrey and become a power within a terrible situation.

Instead, she's just back to Season 2 Sansa - please help me Hound please help me Dontos please help me Theon.

Yeah, the Winterfell stuff is frustrating because the scenes are well done, and in the moment I find myself liking them well enough, but as soon as the episode is over and I'm able to step back and look at the character arcs, it's awful. Theon is somehow going even deeper into his shit instead of slowly working his way out, and Sansa is completely helpless. They're both further from their end points than they ever have been before. And judging by the preview,
thats turning their relationship completely antagonistic, which is further subverting Sansa's kindness as a character trait.
Meanwhile, Ramsay just keeps on winning. Dude's practically omnipotent at this point. The Northern resistance, which was apparently nothing more than a gang of peasants in the show, has been throughly stamped out, and Stannis appears doomed.

A-V-B

Seriously, why not have Ramsay be the one who beats the Others? Forget Jon Snow, forget Dragons, forget Tyrion.

He has endless plot armor. Just toss him into the deep North and have him duke it out with the winter lords or whatever with his bare fists. He'll punch them all out, and then have his dogs hump them while Theon cries. Story over.

bengraven

In fairness, the only thing he's done is burn Winterfell and take Moat Cailin. He hasn't been proven in actual combat - just deceit. Deceit can get you almost everywhere, but at some point you either screw up or you still have a massive army to face.

Yeah, the Winterfell stuff is frustrating because the scenes are well done, and in the moment I find myself liking them well enough, but as soon as the episode is over and I'm able to step back and look at the character arcs, it's awful. Theon is somehow going even deeper into his shit instead of slowly working his way out, and Sansa is completely helpless. They're both further from their end points than they ever have been before. And judging by the preview,
thats turning their relationship completely antagonistic, which is further subverting Sansa's kindness as a character trait.
Meanwhile, Ramsay just keeps on winning. Dude's practically omnipotent at this point. The Northern resistance, which was apparently nothing more than a gang of peasants in the show, has been throughly stamped out, and Stannis appears doomed.

First, I agree that the Winterfell stuff is actually great - fantastically shot (people forget about the wedding and how creepily beautiful it was, likely because they were waiting for her to be rescued) and yet it masks how fucked up the story is.

But I do wonder if we'll get more of the Poole storyline. If they'll basically bond over this trauma. I really do want him to tell her that he had nothing to do with her brothers and they were possibly still alive. In all likelyhood she's threatening him next week because she wants him to bring her to Castle Black.

I would like to see that relationship grow - neither one of them were fantastic people. Theon was a piece of shit and Sansa is a huge part of the reason her father is dead. While you can excuse Sansa because of her youth, you can't excuse Theon. But that said, I would like to see him sacrifice himself for her at least, do something noble like Robb or Ned would have wanted him to be. Then again, that would take away from her arc, her growing. I'm sure there's a middle ground. Just rambling. Who knows.

A-V-B

The one thing that makes me regret being a book reader is to be forced to hang out in this thread with the daario/euron/victarion fanboys/conspiracy theorists.

Other than that. I was really looking forward to that scene this Cersei, and it was very well delivered. It's too bad everything great in this show has to come from the books
(well, to be completely fair, Arya/Tywin scenes in S2 were quite good)

Due to the raw magic of Maisie Williams and Charles Dance bouncing off each other like superballs, hehe.

Well it wasn't Daznak's pit, they said that was the proving grounds or something. They are saving the actual arena and Drogon for the finale.

They sure are, Still i´m wondering about the always mentioned gigantic budget of this show. Certainly not seeing it this season. Or it all went into dragon cgi.
Laughable sets all around.

Stannis and his army of 20 men marching out. Jon Snow on his nonexisting trip north with his group of 5. The council of the political and religious leaders of westeros.. in a storage room.
No siege of mereen. Dorn Waterpark with a Xena revival show. What happened to my Game of thrones this season? Not only did they butcher the plot but why does it suddenly have to look like mid-90s low budget medievil show as well?

I just don´t understand what happened. In the behind the scenes video they mentioned a couple of new guys in charge of all the sets. Why would you place such inexperienced people in key positions of one of the biggest shows around?

Iksenpets

Banned
In fairness, the only thing he's done is burn Winterfell and take Moat Cailin. He hasn't been proven in actual combat - just deceit. Deceit can get you almost everywhere, but at some point you either screw up or you still have a massive army to face.

First, I agree that the Winterfell stuff is actually great - fantastically shot (people forget about the wedding and how creepily beautiful it was, likely because they were waiting for her to be rescued) and yet it masks how fucked up the story is.

But I do wonder if we'll get more of the Poole storyline. If they'll basically bond over this trauma. I really do want him to tell her that he had nothing to do with her brothers and they were possibly still alive. In all likelyhood she's threatening him next week because she wants him to bring her to Castle Black.

I would like to see that relationship grow - neither one of them were fantastic people. Theon was a piece of shit and Sansa is a huge part of the reason her father is dead. While you can excuse Sansa because of her youth, you can't excuse Theon. But that said, I would like to see him sacrifice himself for her at least, do something noble like Robb or Ned would have wanted him to be. Then again, that would take away from her arc, her growing. I'm sure there's a middle ground. Just rambling. Who knows.

Yeah, even the writing is really good in isolation. Each individual scene is great. Just when you try to strong them together in a larger story, you realize it's going nowhere and is just wallowing in misery. It feels like the show has lost that string of hope that always kept the books afloat, through all the horror of Storm and all the dullness of the later books. I really wish they had better shown the Northern politics and let Sansa play the game with the Northern lords.

Although I think almost all theories range from not plausible to completely ludicrous, I still enjoy them. It shows how complex and full of different layers the books are, and how dedicated the fan base is.

And some theory may even be a really good read or food for thought. A while ago, I read something that linked ASoIaF and it's characters to norse mythology. It is probably disproved by now, but made for a fascinating read.

And regarding the Daario/Euron theorists: I don't believe it is more than wishful thinking. But wouldn't it be awesome if it was true?

The nitpickers and people, that don't understand that books and show are two different entities, are way worse than the tin foil theorists.

Anyone else disappointed we didn't get a cover of The Dornishman's Wife in the credits?
I've think the end credits music this season has been really disappointing. People may not have liked the version of The Bear and The Maiden Fair that plays after Jamie's hand is cut off, but at least it's memorable. Nothing stands out this season.

Well it wasn't Daznak's pit, they said that was the proving grounds or something. They are saving the actual arena and Drogon for the finale.

So much of this season screams "cost-cutting" to me. Sets are in near-darkness, it's somehow "tradition" for the ruler to visit a backyard barbecue to watch some wrasslin'. They did spend a lot of money on that dragon scene, so I hope the finale pays off the same way.

Kain

They sure are, Still i´m wondering about the always mentioned gigantic budget of this show. Certainly not seeing it this season. Or it all went into dragon cgi.

Stannis and his army of 20 men marching out. Jon Snow on his nonexisting trip north with his group of 5. The council of the political and religious leaders of westeros.. in a storage room.
No siege of mereen. Dorn Waterpark with a Xena revival show. What happened to my Game of thrones this season? Not only did they butcher the plot but why does it suddenly have to look like mid-90s low budget medievil show as well?

I just don´t understand what happened. In the behind the scenes video they mentioned a couple of new guys in charge of all the sets. Why would you place such inexperienced people in key positions of one of the biggest shows around?

Yep, it's amazing how they made such a big deal about Dorne and the localization in Spain and we have seen maybe two full minutes of the Water Gardens in 7 episodes. I mean, I've been there, they are amazing, and after all the fuss we have half a shot of the gardens? The rest of the Dorne stuff could have been easily done in random beaches and sets (and they might have been shot there). The same goes for Meereen.

They booked and entire bullfighting plaza to film the Pit and it's going to be in for like three minutes.

I'm thinking maybe the budget went to cgi Emilia's brows or something. To stop them from moving that is.

Moff

we'll see next week how much budget they pumped into hardhome, but yes, so far we haven't seen anything particularly espensive, i fully expect them go go all out on hardhome and the dragons. the winterfell battle will probably be short, too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yep, it's amazing how they made such a big deal about Dorne and the localization in Spain and we have seen maybe two full minutes of the Water Gardens in 7 episodes. I mean, I've been there, they are amazing, and after all the fuss we have half a shot of the gardens? The rest of the Dorne stuff could have been easily done in random beaches and sets (and they might have been shot there). The same goes for Meereen.

They booked and entire bullfighting plaza to film the Pit and it's going to be in for like three minutes.

I'm thinking maybe the budget went to cgi Emilia's brows or something. To stop them from moving that is.

The cast is what eats the budget.

Faddy

Banned

The sets are decent apart from Kings Landing which is weird because it has usually been great. But we haven't even seen the throne room this season. Everything is in Cersei's apartments or similar. Everything has felt closed in.

I think time was a huge problem with Dorne, they had a limited amount of time and reports were that it was raining for a large part of the shoot. The couple of Dorne interiors have looked good

I think Stannis was getting shot on Iceland where it is hard to procure a large amount of horses.

The seige of Mereen is cut because it is boring and hasn't pushed Dany's plot forward at all

Winterfell and the Wall still looks great, the stuff in Essos has been good too, the outer shots of Mereen were well done (hisssing aside).

It has been very patchy production and the seams are starting to show a little. The stagnant plot hasn't helped even if has moved at a lightning pace compared to the books.

eot

Banned
The fact that they're doing Hardhome as the battle for this season makes me hopeful that Stannis' fate won't be revealed. The books left off in such an interesting place that I'd rather not have that particular outcome spoiled. That's the #1 storyline I'm looking forward to the most in Winds.

we'll see next week how much budget they pumped into hardhome, but yes, so far we haven't seen anything particularly espensive, i fully expect them go go all out on hardhome and the dragons. the winterfell battle will probably be short, too.

But why do hardhome at all? Talk about it and spend the money on some cgi horses for stannis or on zombie Catelyn hanging Briene. Let Jayme conquer some castles in the riverlands. With Charles Dance gone the whole show somehow feels as empty as the plot now. No greatness anymore. Still baffled by the lack off passion this season.

Moff

But why do hardhome at all? Talk about it and spend the money on some cgi horses for stannis or on zombie Catelyn hanging Briene. Let Jayme conquer some castles in the riverlands. With Charles Dance gone the whole show somehow feels as empty as the plot now. No greatness anymore. Still baffled by the lack off passion this season.

honestly the lack of tywin is felt in the books as well, the riverlands certainly didn't show any greatness or passion, and the battle for winterfell wasn't in the books (yet) either.
and from the rumours, they can show something in hardhome they haven't shown so far, and it sounds truly spectacular, much more greatness and passion than conquer castles or the usual battles with knights.

Dorne cringe battle aside, I've accepted them collapsing storylines and doing their own thing in a way.

However, the part that sucks for me the most if the condensing is leading to inadvertent spoilers.

Faegon, Selmy's future, Jaime's future, LSH and many others that I was looking forward to reading about TWOW and ADIS

honestly the lack of tywin is felt in the books as well, the riverlands certainly didn't show any greatness or passion, and the battle for winterfell wasn't in the books (yet) either.
and from the rumours, they can show something in hardhome they haven't shown so far, and it sounds truly spectacular, much more greatness and passion than conquer castles or the usual battles with knights.

Sure, having some whitewalkers on screen would be nice but i miss my castles. Jaime laying siege in Braveheart like setting is what i expected this season, not him doing the riverdance in a cheap cosplay show. Stannis army should be in utter despair right now. Eating each other. Surrounded by death. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but season one felt much more grimm overall than the lighthearted family show we got now.
(Cheap scares with skinned old people aside)

Moff

well we have seen many castle battles by now, blackwater, the red wedding, castle black, if it was my call I'd choose hardhome

Faddy

Banned

Because there are going to be white walkers, the main threat of the series. It is important to keep them on screen for a healthy reminder of what is to come.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Best episode of the season so far. Loved it through and through. Tyene's tits aside, a lot of development here! CANNOT wait for the walk of shame. Hoping they don't gimp out on it. Cersei deserves all the lashing she can get for all those years of tormenting others.

Tyrion meeting Dany was epic. It finally happened. Can't wait to see how they move that arc forward. Will be really interesting.

nampad

Not a fan of all the differences from the source material. Of course, they needed to cut some stuff but I can't get over some of the storylines gone missing, especially as it's foreshadowing what will happen in the books.

And on reflection I'd probably still fuck her even after she poisoned me.

Actually it makes me want to do it even more...

TripOpt55

Seeing Dany and Tyrion meet was so cool. I can't wait to see them interact. I wonder how the season will finish in Meereen now. With no siege and them meeting already, I'm not sure exactly what to expect now. Can't wait for the Pit scene.

Jonathan Pryce was so great this week too. Having Olenna come back was another good call.

Dorne is still blah and I still don't like inserting Sansa in with the Boltons.

Can't wait for Hardhome. The next few episodes should be packed with good stuff.

Jetman

So much of this season screams "cost-cutting" to me. Sets are in near-darkness, it's somehow "tradition" for the ruler to visit a backyard barbecue to watch some wrasslin'. They did spend a lot of money on that dragon scene, so I hope the finale pays off the same way.

Have definitely noticed this. The best set I've seen so far this season has been the House of Black & White.

The Fighting Pits looked completely underwhelming. Valyria somehow got mixed up with The Sorrows. Volantis was almost non-existent but from what I could tell, didn't look at all how it was described in the books (I always assumed it was like an alternate version of India)
Dorne seems like all we've seen is that little area in the Water Garden. I don't think Doran Martell has even moved from that same spot in his chair. Not sure why the opening credits even show SunSpear. The Water Gardens are nowhere even near it, right?

Have definitely noticed this. The best set I've seen so far this season has been the House of Black & White.

The Fighting Pits looked completely underwhelming. Dorne, seems like all we've seen is that little area in the Water Garden. I don't think Doran Martell has even moved from that same spot in his chair. Not sure why the opening credits even show SunSpear. The Water Gardens are nowhere even near it, right?

The fighting pits from this week are NOT Daznak's, don't worry. But overall I agree that things have looked "cheap". I can't imagine the Drogon CG they're saving up for at the end of the season.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So I think Sansa is going to become the Ghost of Winterfell, killing Fat Walda to anger Roose, then killing Myranda to make Ramsey think that Roose killed her as revenge, sowing seeds of discord and all that. Roose then forces Ramsay to lead the vanguard against Stannis when it gets to that point.

Snake

The fighting pits from this week are NOT Daznak's, don't worry. But overall I agree that things have looked "cheap". I can't imagine the Drogon CG they're saving up for at the end of the season.

Was this explicitly stated? Good, if so. I stepped out for a moment when the fighting pits scene began and I would have assumed this was just a training area, but the person I was watching it with seemed to think this was all we were getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom