• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was the one who first posted that quote to laugh at it last week. link Cogman might have just worded it really horribly. He made an update to that article a few days later.

"UPDATE: Bryan Cogman tweeted the following: “Hi all. Not going to comment further but I do want to clarify something from the @EW interview that was conducted on set a few months ago: The ‘choice’ I was referring to was Sansa’s choice to marry Ramsay and walk into that room. She feels marrying him is a vital step in reclaiming her homeland. Not trying to change anyone’s opinion of the scene (negative or otherwise) but that it what I was … Ok, LAST last word. In NO WAY… NO WAY was that comment an attempt to ‘blame the victim.’ If it seemed that way I’m deeply sorry.” "

It's still worded badly. He seems to be saying she made the choice just to marry Ramsay, not the choice to be raped. He should have flat out said that.

But we have to be fair. Even if we didn't like that scene is episode 5, the show is clearly saying it was a rape with a serious effect on Sansa. They aren't handling it like she chose to be assaulted. A lot of us were thinking they might just have her blow it off. Like Jaime/Cersei last year. I give them credit for not doing that and handling the aftermath right. I was worried with that Cogman quote.

In a way, since Sansa got married willingly and walked to the bedroom willingly but yet was still raped and it changed all of her plans and broke her willpower, you could actually say it's making a serious statement against marital rape.
Changed all of her plans? What plans? The only plan we know of is wait here till Stannis shows up. Cogman doesn't make any sense just like this plotline.

Honestly, I think Theon will come around imo. Sansa will try to kill Ramsay and he stops her. He starts to torture her and Theon can't take it anymore and kills Ramsay with a Sword or something. If someone is to kill Ramsay; it should be Theon imo. He took his manhood.

Nah, Sansa will go full Jeyne Pool. She already had bruises, the dogs are next. Brienne will obviously try to save her, taking over the role of the escape plan from the ghosts of winterfell. And it will fail too. Brienne gets killed, propably has her face eaten by real dogs this time and Stannis horns can be heard all over the place. Theon grabs Sansa and jumps over the wall. Cut to the Arena.

Meanwhile Stannis is burning asha he got through some plot device. Maybe dropped off by LF via raven..

Speevy

Banned
Brienne is a fighter and will die fighting. She's too smart for capture. Plus, she probably has a role to play in Jaime's storyline.

Lothar

Banned
Changed all of her plans? What plans? The only plan we know of is wait here till Stannis shows up. Cogman doesn't make any sense just like this plotline.

That and to make Ramsay hers like Littlefinger said. Littlefinger told her Ramsay had fallen for her, hah.

Speevy

Banned
Like I said before, the person Sansa needs to get revenge on is Littlefinger.

It would be fitting if she actually repelled Petyr's attempts to take the north after the Boltons were dead.

Nah, Sansa will go full Jeyne Pool. She already had bruises, the dogs are next.

I never got the impression the Jeyne ever actually fucked the dogs. I always felt her dialog was saying, "Fine, I'll fuck the dogs, stop hurting me." But I don't want to watch a show where that's a thing they do to Sansa, or even have it suggested. But leave it to D&D to use an iconic line from the books unchanged this one time.

Speevy

Banned
LOL! Speevy for Christ's sake the thread won't hold until next week if you keep posting so damn much.

giphy.gif

Speevy

Banned
When Tommen was yelling about being king he sounded almost exactly like Joffrey. Eerie stuff.

That was intentional I think. Joffrey says "I am the king. I will punish you." to Tyrion, and Tywin follows by explaining that any man who must say I am the king is no true king.

Tommen says he's the king, but has the wisdom to realize that he's not fit for what this job entails. It was actually a really good scene from him because he's actually learning more about who he is.

I'd say Tommen get killed in season 6, episode 1.

Madness

I don't know, even show only viewers I've spoken to have said this is the worst season of the show. Not surprising to see ratings and viewership down.Many absolutely loathe the Dorne storyline and what they did to Sansa has been inexcusable. People don't want to watch a fan favorite be a punching bag again. It especially pisses them off hearing that it doesn't happen in the books. Can't wait to see the reactions if the season ends with Jon being stabbed.

Speevy

Banned
Season 3 is still the worst for me.

I think a lot of the backlash we're seeing is inevitable because we're dealing with less popular characters. Ramsay isn't as compelling as Joffrey. No man (aside from Tyrion maybe) on this show is as fun to watch as Tywin.

I think book readers are projecting.

If D&D invented Lady Stoneheart and put her in the show, people would be calling it the dumbest storyline in the show's history.

The scenes this season have been with the exception of the Dornish stuff well shot, well acted, and dialogue-wise they've even been well written. People are just mad because Sansa's current predicament wasn't necessary, and I get that, but if it leads up to a good season 5 finale I'm willing to forgive it. If it doesn't, well then I'll agree with the naysayers.

someday

Banned
One thing I don't get. If it was a royal decree that allowed the Faith Militant to come back can't another decree outlaw them? It seems so simple but why isn't this an option?

Speevy

Banned
One thing I don't get. If it was a royal decree that allowed the Faith Militant to cone back can't another decree outlaw them? It seems so simple but why isn't this an option?

I believe George R.R. Martin was trying to say that putting religion in charge of a government is dangerous. In medieval times, people were tortured and executed for speaking out against the church or for suspicion of heresy. If a church was given more power than the king himself, they would punish all sinners and do so while believing their cause was just.

They've set up a pretty implausible set of circumstances, but the faith militant does take over King's Landing in the books.

someday

Banned
I believe George R.R. Martin was trying to say that putting religion in charge of a government is dangerous. In medieval times, people were tortured and executed for speaking out against the church or for suspicion of heresy.

They've set up a pretty implausible set of circumstances, but the faith militant does take over King's Landing in the books.
I read the books. I get the plot. I just wondered why, on a practical level, the king didn't just order them disbanded. It's explained to us that they existed in the past until a king outlawed them. Why not do that again?

Speevy

Banned
I read the books. I get the plot. I just wondered why, on a practical level, the king didn't just order them disbanded. It's explained to us that they existed in the past until a king outlawed them. Why not do that again?

Tommen is an ineffectual king who believes that the people must love him, else he will be seen as a terrible king like his brother was. They yell "bastard" in the streets when he passes and he takes this to heart.

He believes that his mother has put good, god-fearing and law-abiding people in charge of King's Landing. He is a young man who is not aware of why such a thing would be ill-advised.

Cersei has an insular view of every situation and cannot counsel anyone on the bigger picture. She just destroys what's in front of her.

The only way to stop the faith is to kill its members, and Tommen is unwilling to do that, so they remain in power. To simply take their power would not suffice. They would take up arms, and more than likely the common people would rise up against Tommen.

SteveWD40

Tommen needs to call on Kevan to bring the Lannister army to KL to sort it out. They set that up with him being in earlier episodes.

Jetman

Brienne's story in the show pisses me off.
So, she's pretty much just sitting in a room, staring at a broken tower, and waiting for a candle to be lit? The fuck she thinks is going on with Sansa? Does she actually believe Sansa is enjoying her honeymoon to Ramsay? And what happens when a candle is lit? Do her and Pod just single-handedly take all of Winterfell's new residents on?If there is a plan in place to save Sansa once a candle is lit, why not just do it now? It's not like the North is getting any warmer...

carlsojo

For me Tyrion meeting Daenerys has made the whole season worth it. I remember plowing through Dance with Dragons when it came out and being so fucking mad that it never happened. As an added bonus we never got any of that stupid Penny bullshit either!

Lothar

Banned
I don't know, even show only viewers I've spoken to have said this is the worst season of the show. Not surprising to see ratings and viewership down.Many absolutely loathe the Dorne storyline and what they did to Sansa has been inexcusable. People don't want to watch a fan favorite be a punching bag again. It especially pisses them off hearing that it doesn't happen in the books. Can't wait to see the reactions if the season ends with Jon being stabbed.

That's nothing compared to Shireen getting burned alive. That's the one thing that my mom said would make her stop watching forever.

Ratrat

Brienne's story in the show pisses me off.
So, she's pretty much just sitting in a room, staring at a broken tower, and waiting for a candle to be lit? The fuck she thinks is going on with Sansa? Does she actually believe Sansa is enjoying her honeymoon to Ramsay? And what happens when a candle is lit? Do her and Pod just single-handedly take all of Winterfell's new residents on?If there is a plan in place to save Sansa once a candle is lit, why not just do it now? It's not like the North is getting any warmer...
Sansa is apparently locked in her room and raped every night but that old hag can't take a clue? Light the candle yourself why don't you? Isnt she her maid?
Yeah, not sure what Brienne is planning. She could, uh have Pod or herself actually infiltrate Winterfell ahead of time and plan instead of sitting around.

someday

Banned
Tommen is an ineffectual king who believes that the people must love him, else he will be seen as a terrible king like his brother was. They yell "bastard" in the streets when he passes and he takes this to heart.

He believes that his mother has put good, god-fearing and law-abiding people in charge of King's Landing. He is a young man who is not aware of why such a thing would be ill-advised.

Cersei has an insular view of every situation and cannot counsel anyone on the bigger picture. She just destroys what's in front of her.

The only way to stop the faith is to kill its members, and Tommen is unwilling to do that, so they remain in power. To simply take their power would not suffice. They would take up arms, and more than likely the common people would rise up against Tommen.
Lol, again, thank you? for the background. I really just wanted to know if there was some clause that stopped the king from issuing a decree disbanding the Faith Militant that I was missing. I understand the plot of the show and the books. Here, we have a young man who is watching his family, including his hot wife, be taken by these people and he seems to have no clue how to get rid of them. If the former king (whoever that was) disbanded them simply with an order, and Cercei brought them back with a simple order, why can't Tommen, legally, get rid of them with a pen stroke? Or, was there more than just an order of the king that disbanded them in the past?

Ratrat

Lol, again, thank you? for the background. I really just wanted to know if there was some clause that stopped the king from issuing a decree disbanding the Faith Militant that I was missing. I understand the plot of the show and the books. Here, we have a young man who is watching his family, including his hot wife, be taken by these people and he seems to have no clue how to get rid of them. If the former king (whoever that was) disbanded them simply with an order, and Cercei brought them back with a simple order, why can't Tommen, legally, get rid of them with a pen stroke? Or, was there more than just an order of the king that disbanded them in the past?
from the wiki:
When Aegon the Conqueror, invaded Westeros, he adopted the Seven and gained support of the High Septon, who proclaimed that the Faith Militant would not offer resistance to the Targaryen invasion. A sept called the Sept of Remembrance was built on Rhaenys's Hill was constructed during the reign pf Aegon the Conquerer.

The Faith's support for the Targaryens changed upon Aegon's death and the passing of the Iron Throne to his son Aenys I Targaryen and later Maegor I Targaryen. The Faith withdrew their allegiance and the Militant orders supported those lords who opposed the Targaryens.

The resulting civil war raged through the reigns of Aenys I and Maegor the Cruel and into the start of the reign of Jaehaerys I. Maegor's brutal repression of the Faith caused tens of thousands of deaths. Eventually, Jaehaerys offered peace to the Faith and House Targaryen's unwavering defense and support in return for the militant orders disbanding to which they agreed. Jaehaerys I appointed Septon Barth the Hand of the King and had forty years of peace and prosperity.
He can't just arm them and then tell them to disband peacefully. In the books the crown owes the Faith an enormous debt which they agree to waive and also crown Tommen in return for the right to have their own military. Which I imagine was more like the Templars not the beggar knife wielders of the show.

Madness

That's the problem. Either you stop it at the start, cut the head off the snake and the body dies, otherwise it grows beyond your control. The faith militant couldn't be stopped now if they wanted.

The High Sparrow said it perfectly, “You are the few. We are the many, and when the many stop fearing the few…” 

The people of Kings Landing have been ravaged by war, another mad king (Joffrey), things are now going back to normal. While sure there will be those upset at the loss of brothels, I'm sure they don't care too much a bunch of corrupt royals are getting their just desserts. They'll question why Tommen wants a royal decree to ban people considered devotees. The book faith are much more medieval Catholic or protestant reformation time, the show ones are basically the start of the Taliban right now. In the book, the crown owes a debt to the faith, whereas in the show, it's not even hinted at.

Ratrat

The Tyrells are well loved in the book and there is outrage/protests after Margaerys arrest. I like the idea but I'm not sure how well the Faith could turn the people of Kings Landing against her and the Tyrells. Quite a threat though.

The Tyrells are well loved in the book and there is outrage/protests after Margaerys arrest. I like the idea but I'm not sure how well the Faith could turn the people of Kings Landing against her and the Tyrells. Quite a threat though.
I doubt the show would focus on that, it didn't even have time for Faith militant's proper set up.

someday

Banned
from the wiki:

He can't just arm them and then tell them to disband peacefully. In the books the crown owes the Faith an enormous debt which they agree to waive and also crown Tommen in return for the right to have their own military. Which I imagine was more like the Templars not the beggar knife wielders of the show.
Thank you.

Zolo

the high sparrow is delusional if he thinks he represents "the many". the tyrell threat is very real.

To be fair, the Tyrells have worked really hard to keep up a good image in King's Landing. I doubt they'd want to get rid of it by withholding food, and you can be sure the High Sparrow would let everyone know who's the cause.

Ratrat

To be fair, the Tyrells have worked really hard to keep up a good image in King's Landing. I doubt they'd want to get rid of it by withholding food, and you can be sure the High Sparrow would let everyone know who's the cause.
Can they be blamed when they are imprisoning the people's beloved Magaery and Loras? The food came with Margaery, what do they expect.
I doubt the show would focus on that, it didn't even have time for Faith militant's proper set up.
Definitely. Hardly matters anyway.

It's pretty cool when two characters who've never met do (Tyrion & Dany). Are we roughly up to where they are in the books with them now? Not that it in any way matters of course. I fully expect Season Six to be its own thing.

It's pretty cool when two characters who've never met do (Tyrion & Dany). Are we roughly up to where they are in the books with them now? Not that it in any way matters of course. I fully expect Season Six to be its own thing.

We're pretty much on equal footing with the books now. Only Jon, Sam and Theon have a teensy bit of material left, and of course the whole Ironborn arc which looks to be entirely gone anyway.

SteveWD40

Little moment I liked: Sansa finding out Jon is Lord Commander.

IIRC isn't Sansa her mothers daughter in looking down on Jon (the rest all loved him), her other siblings are all dead in her mind, Jon is the only family she has left that she knows of.

The fact he has risen so far even in the Nights Watch (a penal colony) must have stumped her, on top of the fact she doesn't even know her uncle Benjen is missing I assume?

Turin

Banned
I think she was mostly indifferent to him.

In CoK Jon recalls Sansa giving him advice about something(I can't remember what exactly). So they were on speaking terms at least.

That is one reunion I'd like to see in both book and show.

“That’s pretty.” He remembered Sansa telling him once that he should say that whenever a lady told him her name. He could not help the girl, but perhaps the courtesy would please her.

Ratrat

Sansa was kind of a dick, calling Jon a bastard, saying he was jealous of Joffrey. She even wondered if Arya wasn't found somewhere and not really her sister. She doesn't really seem to be close to any of her siblings, though we only see her interact with Arya.

Basically she was a dumb girl who chose her 'friends' over her family and payed for it.

Paganmoon

Sansa was kind of a dick, calling Jon a bastard, saying he was jealous of Joffrey. She even wondered if Arya wasn't found somewhere and not really her sister. She doesn't really seem to be close to any of her siblings, though we only see her interact with Arya.

Basically she was a dumb girl who chose her 'friends' over her family and payed for it.

So basically a teen/pre-teen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom