• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
510's title Mother's Mercy confirms Lady Stone Heart. Episode ends with Dany flying off on Drogon, Sansa being impregnated (likely raped), Jon finding out who his mother his from the Night King and Zombie Cat offering the 'mothers mercy' to Roose Bolton as she saves Stannis from losing the battle.

And then Victarion and Euron emerge from the sea on an airship to electric guitar and crash into King's Landing.

Tommen's like "What do I do?"

Vade

Ned and Howland were the only two to leave the tower alive.

"Shit, bro," Howland remarked. "We forgot the baby back in the tower!"

"Lol, whoops," replied Eddard. And they went back to the tower and this time all three left it alive.

I would rather have this scene than D & D and their hack writing.

And then Victarion and Euron emerge from the sea on an airship to electric guitar and crash into King's Landing.

Tommen's like "What do I do?"

cut to sand snakes storming into king's landing, bare-chested
"hey tommen we'll help you if you tell us you love our tits"
"of course i do who doesn't like tits lol"
then the sand snakes beat euron 3v1 after a 3 hours fight because they had to go one by one

-griffy-

Banned
Is this episode like 95% Jon?

It's gonna be the largest segment I believe. There was that rumor/fact/thing awhile ago that pegged the Hardhome battle stuff at like
minutes or something similar. I don't recall what the source was or if it was ever verified but it sounds plausible enough. This is gonna be their big battle sequence of the year, and the one we've been hearing about for ages that took weeks to shoot one scene because it was so big and complicated and all that.

It's gonna be the largest segment I believe. There was that rumor/fact/thing awhile ago that pegged the Hardhome battle stuff at like
minutes or something similar. I don't recall what the source was or if it was ever verified but it sounds plausible enough. This is gonna be their big battle sequence of the year, and the one we've been hearing about for ages that took weeks to shoot one scene because it was so big and complicated and all that.

what would the battle be ? wildlings vs white walkers ?

move over ramsay the storm is coming
300px-Mathia_Arkoniel_Euroncrowseye.jpg

Daario?

Well, I guess Stannis did employ the Stormcrows in the show.

Massa

Ned and Howland walk out with a dead baby and run into Melisandre. She says she was sent to help Azor Ahai reborn but decides to help the boy anyway, and revives him before continuing on with her search.

-griffy-

Banned
what would the battle be ? wildlings vs white walkers ?

It's probably gonna start as crows/Tormund's crew vs. wildling/infighting or something, and then white walkers attack and all hell breaks loose. I mean, white walkers are pretty much confirmed at this point with Chekhov's Dragon Glass being introduced last episode.

Making Game of Thrones all about big battle sequences is completely missing the point. I actually appreciated that we never really got one with Robb's entire campaign.

The Blackwater and the battle at the Wall (and eventually the Winterfell/Meereen stuff, I think) work well 'onscreen' because they actually have some pretty decisive tide-turning moments, but Hardhome doesn't strike me as being something that's particularly strategic or really affects any of the pieces on the board. It's more like a chance to remind us that White Walkers are a thing, since they haven't shown up this season.

I'm 100% all about every single character having repetitive conversations with every single other character about power, for what it's worth. I'm just not in this for the action set pieces.

510's title Mother's Mercy confirms Lady Stone Heart. Episode ends with Dany flying off on Drogon, Sansa being impregnated (likely raped), Jon finding out who his mother his from the Night King and Zombie Cat offering the 'mothers mercy' to Roose Bolton as she saves Stannis from losing the battle.

lol holy shit.

Also, this is something they really haven't touched on yet and I really fucking hope they don't start on a "is Sansa pregnant?" story.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Making Game of Thrones all about big battle sequences is completely missing the point. I actually appreciated that we never really got one with Robb's entire campaign.

The Blackwater and the battle at the Wall (and eventually the Winterfell/Meereen stuff, I think) work well 'onscreen' because they actually have some pretty decisive tide-turning moments, but Hardhome doesn't strike me as being something that's particularly strategic or really affects any of the pieces on the board. It's more like a chance to remind us that White Walkers are a thing, since they haven't shown up this season.

I'm 100% all about every single character having repetitive conversations with every single other character about power, for what it's worth. I'm just not in this for the action set pieces.

I disagree, Hardhome SHOULD have been in the books. We've yet to really see the WW's as a threat in the books which means GRRM is going to have to spend the "final" two books building them up. A big action sequence North of the Wall involving Wights and the Others is something ADWD desperately needed.

lol holy shit.

Also, this is something they really haven't touched on yet and I really fucking hope they don't start on a "is Sansa pregnant?" story.

What better way to continue Sansa's "empowerment" arc than to have her get pregnant only to choose on her own to drink moon tea and kill the unborn fetus so that Ramsay's evil bastard blood would not continue. Truly a masterful and powerful moment in her story that shows the benefits of being pro-choice and an example of a strong independent woman making her own life decisions.

I disagree, Hardhome SHOULD have been in the books. We've yet to really see the WW's as a threat in the books which means GRRM is going to have to spend the "final" two books building them up. A big action sequence North of the Wall involving Wights and the Others is something ADWD desperately needed.

The Fist of the First Men happened in the books but kinda happened offscreen/between seasons in the show (we go straight from the approaching army at the end of S2 to its aftermath at the beginning of S3).

-griffy-

Banned

Yeah, having the white walkers sit out an entire season at this point would probably be a mistake. Plus having Jon go to Hardhome himself adds more potent fuel for the betrayal.

The Fist of the First Men happened in the books but kinda happened offscreen/between seasons in the show (we go straight from the approaching army at the end of S2 to its aftermath at the beginning of S3).

Really don't know how any book reader could forget this, the FotFM chapter is amazing/terrifying.

Lothar

Banned
lol holy shit.

Surely since there was a plan that involved her getting married and having sex with someone she doesn't want to be with, LF gave her a supply of moon tea.

gioGAF

I don’t get all of the hate the show is getting. I think D&D are doing a great job considering how overall shitty AFFC/ADWD are. GRRM just phoned that shit in. The first 3 books were released in close proximity (1996, 1998 and 2000). AFFC was released 5 years later (2005) and ADWD was released 6 years after that (2011). I feel GRRM lost his focus over that time. The first 3 books are solid and easily adaptable to television, the last 2 books contain so much nonsense and meandering that D&D are literally having to make shit up to keep things interesting.

The show has reduced the Brienne and Podrick trip, which is extremely wasteful in the books. It has also brought Danny and Tyrion together without us having to deal with so much of the bloated shit GRRM put us through (long ass boat trip, fake Targaryan, slavery, pig jousting, joining sellswords, etc.).

I don’t even want to get started on the whole Ironborn conflict, which ran on and on in the books. It bored me to tears and the show seems to have done away with it. I wouldn’t mind if Daario = Euron, as some have theorized, but I really don’t want to see damphair, kingsmoot crap. I almost skipped that shit in the books.

The last two books lack direction, I feel GRRM is milking that shit for all it is worth and writing on and on about whatever just to pad length so he can make more bucks (I don’t blame him, but as a fan it is annoying to read).

The show is doing very well in adapting GRRM’s work for screen. Haters are complaining now about certain things, but I guarantee the complaints would have been much louder if D&D wasted multiple episodes on Ironborn politics, Brienne / Podrick trip culminating in Brienne getting her face chewed off, Davos trips, Fake Aegon, Tyrion’s super slow trip to Mereen, etc.

I wasn’t too happy with the Sansa arc, but any book reader should have known Sansa was getting put into the “fake Arya” role. The book is much worse, what with Reek actually warming things up and the dogs getting involved.

Overall, this season has been great, ESPECIALLY given what D&D have to work with as inspiration (AFFC/ADWD).

bengraven

C'mon man he was just deflecting the obviously leading question.

Hey I'm just the messenger. It was probably a deflection...but IS it?

No Arya? She's Mercy.

Iksenpets

Banned
It is something how we just got an excellent episode and everyone is still complaining.

This most recent episode bothered me because of how hard it doubled down on the bad direction they're going in Winterfell. Instead of some kind of bounce back for Sansa, we get her bruised and begging for help from Theon, who sells her out so we can get another flaying scene.

I agree that the overall pacing of this season is way better than the books, but they haven't delivered on the plots they heavily altered at all. Winterfell and Dorne are both bad. The only plot that's really changed for the better is Tyrion.

-griffy-

Banned
This most recent episode bothered me because of how hard it doubled down on the bad direction they're going in Winterfell. Instead of some kind of bounce back for Sansa, we get her bruised and begging for help from Theon, who sells her out so we can get another flaying scene.

Sansa also twisted the knife a bit by goading Ramsay about his potential baby brother and how that would affect his claim, and then she grabbed that corkscrew thing.

Lothar

Banned

I agree that the overall pacing of this season is way better than the books, but they haven't delivered on the plots they heavily altered at all. Winterfell and Dorne are both bad. The only plot that's really changed for the better is Tyrion.

Going in that direction to begin with, why shouldn't they double down? They made it as horrifying as possible. She absolutely shouldn't bounce back from it or act like it was no big deal. That would be the awful sexist rape empowerment trope. Thankfully that didn't happen.

HOLY SHIT KIDS

So George was at that con this weekend and someone thought they'd be clever and asked:

"So it was just Howland, Ned, and Jon that survived the Tower of Joy?" and GRRM amusedly said that, (SERIES SPOILERS SRSLY)
"Howland and Eddard" were the only people to leave the Tower of Joy alive. Wrench thrown into R and L equals J?

His actual quote was "Ned and Howland the only two MEN to leave the Tower of Joy".

With GRRM you have to parse his answers.

I don't think LSH is there though still. Episode title Is Confirmed.

D&D just likes to fuck with us.

title refers to:
Selsye/Shireen whatever is happening there
Cersei's Walk of Shame
Arya's mercy
Dany's dragons will obviously be there in the last episode of the season

Kyougar

We also thought Euron was not happening.
We also thought Septon Meribald was not happening
We also thought Dorne would be cool
We also thought Sansa would be an empowered player
We also thought AFFC and ADWD would only take one Season. But We got the last part of season 4, season 5 and Season 6 with stuff from these books.

WE THOUGHT WRONG!

Well, most of you guys did, I was always in the group that said we need more time with both books so it doesnt feel rushed and would not be awefull. guess what, its rushed and awefull especially Dorne needed WAY more screentime to give the characters, character.

Looks like final scene will be the Walk of Shame now

Mother's Mercy directly refers to that. Probably ends with the Robert Strong introduction.

Kinda lame

That would be a horrible last scene. Usually they end the season with something like Arya going to Bravos. It will probably be Dany riding Drogon and telling me people its time they make their way to Westeros once she gets her new Khalasar.

Anyone think Jon will be resurrected this season?

Speevy

Banned
Looks like final scene will be the Walk of Shame now

Mother's Mercy directly refers to that. Probably ends with the Robert Strong introduction.

Kinda lame

That's not necessarily true. The Children did not refer to Arya leaving for Braavos or Tywin's death.

Valar Morghulis wasn't the ending whitewalker scene we got for season 2.

Turin

Banned
The problem with doing LSH now is that it would be within close proximity to
Jon's probable resurrection.
It'll just end up feeling cheap.

Sansa did cast a striking image with that grey hood on last episode. I could accept her as being a quasi-LSH. But then again, I have no idea how closely D&D will try to mirror Sansa's story in the next two books.

Speevy

Banned
The problem with doing LSH now is that it would be within close proximity to
Jon's probable resurrection.
It'll just end up feeling cheap.

On a side note, Sansa did cast a striking image with that grey hood on last episode. I could accept her as being a quasi-LSH. But then again, I have no idea how closely D&D will try to mirror Sansa's story in the next two books.

She says "PROMISE ME THEON!"

OMG Lady Stoneheart is back on. It's back on guys!

kirblar

People will be fine with Jon's storyline ending with the stabbity stab stab since they'll show his eyes go white. It's a cliffhanger, but it's a "how does he get out of this?" one, not a "is he dead?" one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom