• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
???

Did we read the same books or did you want TWOW spoilers all the way through the season?

Did we? One can never be too sure about these things.

I didn't want TWOW spoilers, but it would have been nice for them to have tried to come up with something better suited to good television than what we got.

Brakke

Banned
I liked the cock-pirate's recitation of Jorah's Many Feats of Strength. Did Tyrion and Jorah give him the name of Khal Drogo? Or was dude just throwing in anything that came to mind?

I remember seeing him in Brazil and thinking, "Wow, that guy hasn't aged a day! But in reverse."

lmao

-griffy-

Banned
He's been in way more scenes than that.

Yes.

His arc has been (and worse, felt) long. 7 episodes on the road doing fuck all is boring. Maybe it isn't the dictionary definition of meandering, but considering that all of the characters in Westeros have a teleporter to arrive anywhere they wish instantly, it makes it even harder to swallow that Tyrion is the only one who has to actually spend time travelling anywhere.
I just don't even understand this. It's like you watched a different show than me.

They've taken the completely meandering story with numerous ancillary stops and side characters and completely stripped it down to be about as lean as it could be. 7 episodes in and he already meets Dany, something that didn't happen in 1000+ pages.

I liked the cock-pirate's recitation of Jorah's Many Feats of Strength. Did Tyrion and Jorah give him the name of Khal Drogo? Or was dude just throwing in anything that came to mind?

He was claiming that Jorah killed Drogo, instead of just a "Dothraki warrior", in single combat.

Massa

I just don't even understand this. It's like you watched a different show than me.

They've taken the completely meandering story with numerous ancillary stops and side characters and completely stripped it down to be about as lean as it could be. 7 episodes in and he already meets Dany, something that didn't happen in 1000+ pages.

Tyrion should have been riding a dragon in episode 4, killing Cersei in episode 7 and teaming up with Bran's dragon to end the White Walkers in episode 10.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

But which of us watched the true version of the show? Dun dun dun!
wun weg wun dar wun!

They've taken the completely meandering story with numerous ancillary stops and side characters and completely stripped it down to be about as lean as it could be.

Stripped it down to its essential and meandering boringness, but without all of the colorful and interesting side characters he meets along the way!

7 episodes in and he already meets Dany, something that didn't happen in 1000+ pages.

Tyrion didn't get 1000+ pages. He only had 12 chapters.

Brakke

Banned
He was claiming that Jorah killed Drogo, instead of just a "Dothraki warrior", in single combat.

Yeah I'm saying we never saw Jorah tell the guy that the bloodrider he killed was one of Drogo's. So did the cock-pirate embellish Jorah's story, or did he just pluck a bunch of stories out of his gossip bin and slot Jorah into them? Did he know about Thoros or did he get that story from Tyrion on the road?

Stripped it down to its essential and meandering boringness, but without all of the colorful and interesting side characters he meets along the way!

lamenting the loss of Penny and Duck what is this world...

Ratrat

Your posts make it sound like we've gotten 7 hours of Peter Dinklage walking through Essos when he's gotten probably 20 minutes of screentime.
His chapters in the book are a mixed back of boring and interesting. His scenes in the show are just boring. There is very little motivation driving the character: revenge, Casterly Rock etc.

Speevy

Banned
His chapters in the book are a mixed back of boring and interesting. His scenes in the show are just boring. There is very little motivation driving the character: revenge, Casterly Rock etc.

His character is more just happy to be alive and deeply depressed, which makes more sense than any of that other stuff.

-griffy-

Banned

His interplay with Jorah has been fun, and I loved the Valyria sequence. He's kind of gone from being completely dejected and drunk at the start of the journey to being forced to think on his feet to keep himself alive because things are constantly happening to him on the show. He tries to figure out what the deal with Jorah is, the stone men attack, the pirates are moments from killing him, he needs to convince the slaver to buy him, etc. It seems his chief drive at the moment is keeping himself alive, since he's been essentially at the mercy of others since leaving King's Landing, and then I think he's curious to finally meet Dany to see what the fuss is. Varys backed her, the red priestess in Volantis proclaimed her the second coming, Jorah's entire drive is to get back in her good graces. Everyone he has encountered in Essos seems to think she is the shit so at this point I feel he wants to see for himself, which leads to his last scene in the most recent episode.

Yeah I'm saying we never saw Jorah tell the guy that the bloodrider he killed was one of Drogo's. So did the cock-pirate embellish Jorah's story, or did he just pluck a bunch of stories out of his gossip bin and slot Jorah into them? Did he know about Thoros or did he get that story from Tyrion on the road?

Ooooh, gotcha. No idea.

Speevy

Banned
Really? I could've sworn he namedropped Drogo during that scene.

He did. He told the slave trader that he killed a Dothraki blood rider. His name with Quotho (sp?), blood rider to Khal Drogo in single combat.

Jorah looks at Tyrion as though Tyrion is the one who made up all those stories about Jorah to keep him alive and increase his value.

I don't get the whole Lady Stone Heart love. I think the whole thing would have come across as stupid if done on screen. Cat back from the dead traveling the countryside? Yeah, sounds stupid and would be even dumber on screen. Be glad that D&D cut that bomb out of the show.
It's stupider than the sand snakes, or wargs, or giants, or stone men, or an army of ice zombies, or a 100 year old man tangled in a tree, or 1000 year old child throwing grenades, or a zombie Mountain, or Dragons. All of that stuff looks dumb on screen doesn't it?

Speevy

Banned
It's stupider than the sand snakes, or wargs, or giants, or stone men, or an army of ice zombies, or a 100 year old man tangled in a tree, or 1000 year old child throwing grenades, or a zombie Mountain, or Dragons. All of that stuff looks dumb on screen doesn't it?

I think D and D correctly realized that having Cat back in any capacity cheapened the real impact of the red wedding. Lady Stoneheart is a monster, but Catelyn was a flesh and blood woman, and that's how they wanted the audience to remember Cat.

The Mountain on the other hand was a monster in his first life, and a monster in the next.

Also, sand snakes and wargs WERE stupid on screen.

I've bought in to the idea that the lots-of-names-to-keep-straight phenomenon was intentional, to show how little Dany understood this foreign place. They all come off as faceless nobodies because Dany thinks of them as faceless nobodies. It gets linked every few months in here, but https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.co...reenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/ has a pretty good summary of what's going on there.

Whew thanks for that, I'd forgotten a lot of what little I did take in.

I think D and D correctly realized that having Cat back in any capacity cheapened the real impact of the red wedding. Lady Stoneheart is a monster, but Catelyn was a flesh and blood woman, and that's how they wanted the audience to remember Cat.

The Mountain on the other hand was a monster in his first life, and a monster in the next.

Also, sand snakes and wargs WERE stupid on screen.
Oh I know that, didn't stop D&D putting it on screen though.

'Wanting the audience to remember a character as they used to be' is awful reasoning. 'Remember when Mr White was just the friendly local chemistry teacher, wouldn't it have been lovely for the audience to be able to remember him that way?' Fiction is full of characters who become monsters, so what?
I don't see how it cheapens the red wedding either, it's not like she's getting her life back.

Speevy

Banned
Oh I know that, didn't stop D&D putting it on screen though.

'Wanting the audience to remember a character as they used to be' is awful reasoning. 'Remember when Mr White was just the friendly local chemistry teacher, wouldn't it have been lovely for the audience to be able to remember him that way?' Fiction is full of characters who become monsters, so what?
I don't see how it cheapens the red wedding either, it's not like she's getting her life back.

To address your first point concerning Catelyn, yes lots of fictional characters become monsters. However, this particular fictional character's entire storyline was about how she would do anything for her family. In the books, this includes nearly hanging Brienne (a show favorite). We're not meant to like Lady Stoneheart.

Walter White is different because he reaches a point in his life where he can't go forward. He has terminal cancer. He's beaten down. He feels like he has to make a change, and that change turns him into a horrible person.

Catelyn Stark is as far as we know a loyal and dutiful wife from a very strange family. She makes some boneheaded political maneuvers and gets her entire family either killed or displaced in one way or other, and she dies. So the next logical step is that...a character who briefly met her daughter brings her back with red magic so she can hang Freys and others people who are just walking along the Riverlands?

That's a huge stretch, and not the least bit satisfying for me. The only Frey I want to see dead is Walder Frey, and I don't think we'll get that scene.

I feel that the need for northern revenge is most of the reason they put Sansa back in Winterfell, but once they looked at the surrounding conflicts, they couldn't give Sansa a whole lot to do except cry and get rescued. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

The red wedding is an event that changed not just the Starks, but the entire landscape of northern Westeros and the Riverlands. We are meant to feel that there is no retribution for what happened that night. There is nothing that can be done to exact some measure of peace. Arya even says that Joffrey's death made her feel nothing. So when one of the Starks sets foot in their home again, and it is really their home, it will really mean something.

Lothar

Banned
Ok, this is true. Still hate the plot though. No matter where they take these characters in the future, it was still a season wasted on stagnate and or regressing character arcs for Sansa and Theon. And I really hate not liking it because the two actors are so good.

I don't know if it's a regression for Sansa. I think I said it was last week but I've since flip flopped on the issue. What if this season ends with her being a wardeness of the north? What if the story is pivotal in her turning against Littlefinger?

She is a victim but that doesn't necessarily make her weak. It all depends on how she handles being a rape prisoner, isn't it? She's hurt and scared but it doesn't look like she's giving up. She picked up a corkscrew and is planning something. The previews show her
threatening Theon in the next episode
Theon doesn't look to be helping her on his own. A strong possibility is that she'll either have to force him or convince him by building him back up. If that's the case, then she's far from being the same as Jeyne Poole.

I only reply instead of letting this die because of that last line you said. I want to help you like it. :)

Lady Stoneheart is something that even book readers are split on. It's definitely my least favorite subplot from all of the books.

gutshot

Wow. Someone is actually complaining about the Tyrion storyline? That's been like the most consistently entertaining storyline of this whole season and about a 1000% improvement over what happened in the books!

Brakke

Banned
Why should I want to see Sansa as Wardeness of the North? She's not a Northerner in her heart. She doesn't know what being a Northerner means. She's the only Stark in her generation who isn't a warg.

I honestly don't understand why anyone likes her or wants her to ascend in the North except that they want to see the Boltons get bopped or they want to feel like all this time spent on Sansa had some consequence and wasn't a massive waste of time.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and put Zombie Mountain and forest grenadier waaay above LSH when it comes to stupid. Forest child w/bombs was just awful, and if you're okay with Zombie Mountain, I don't know how you couldn't be okay with LSH.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Your posts make it sound like we've gotten 7 hours of Peter Dinklage walking through Essos when he's gotten probably 20 minutes of screentime.

A man will infer what a man wants out of a post.

lamenting the loss of Penny and Duck what is this world...

I'll take anything over the empty nothingness of the show arc. Even Pretty Pig.

What if this season ends with her being a wardeness of the north?

Is there even such a thing? Would the north let a woman be warden?

Wow. Someone is actually complaining about the Tyrion storyline? That's been like the most consistently entertaining storyline of this whole season and about a 1000% improvement over what happened in the books!

SuTwl7q.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Are all of Walder Frey's daughters and granddaughters trueborn?

Can a commoner marry a noble and give birth to a trueborn son?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Are all of Walder Frey's daughters and granddaughters trueborn?

Can a commoner marry a noble and give birth to a trueborn son?

Of course, the problem is that doing so ultimately means jeopardizing potential alliances and possibly spitting in the face of other noble houses who were passed over for marriage for some commoner.

duckroll

So based on the loglines for the finale this season...
Stannis attacks Winterfell -> cliffhanger, Dany meets the new Dothraki -> cliffhanger, Cersei does the walk of shame, and Jon gets stabbed -> cliffhanger?

Speevy

Banned
So based on the loglines for the finale this season...
Stannis attacks Winterfell -> cliffhanger, Dany meets the new Dothraki -> cliffhanger, Cersei does the walk of shame, and Jon gets stabbed -> cliffhanger?

Sylvester Stallone walks in - Cliffhanger

Speevy

Banned
Synopses

The mere fact that Stannis survives is not a cliffhanger. He has to overcome adversity to even get to Winterfell. He can beat the Boltons if he gets there in one piece.

Madness

I mean, Rickon has to be end game in some form...right?

205Rickon.gif

GRRM wouldn't have kept him around in some form for that long if he wouldn't be in play. Whether it's the White Harbor ploy to restore a Stark Lord in the North/Winterfell, how much they mentioned Rickon and Shaggy Dog increasing anger/fury at what happened to his family and the circumstances.

I think by the end, Rickon will be the only Stark truly left for Winterfell and the North. Bran is a cripple beyond the wall, no way he'll leave again, Jon is a Targaryen and possibly Azor Ahai reborn. Arya is on her way to be a faceless man. Whatever happens or becomes of her, I think she'll eventually return to the house of black and white when she dies. Sansa, unlike the show, she's still married to Tyrion. Once Rickon is again spoke of as alive, she is no longer heir to winterfell then. She's going to probably marry someone else who's a Lord from another area and settle there. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom