• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
If Sansa is in a position of power next season as the Wardeness of the North killing Freys, will people look back on this current Winterfell story more favorably in retrospect?

munchie64

If Sansa is replacing LSH next, I'll have to wonder what she's up to in the books lol

Also kinda funny the last three season finales have titles that could easily refer to LSH. This time has to be intentional.

-griffy-

Banned
His actual quote was "Ned and Howland the only two MEN to leave the Tower of Joy".

With GRRM you have to parse his answers.
F7gxGhp.jpg

People will be fine with Jon's storyline ending with the stabbity stab stab since they'll show his eyes go white. It's a cliffhanger, but it's a "how does he get out of this?" one, not a "is he dead?" one.

They will show Ghost's eyes go white. He has very distinct red eyes, so that will be a good way to convey it.

The main reason being given for resurrection being this season is they wouldn't be able to keep Kit's casting in S6 under wraps and also they would want to use him in the promotions.

gioGAF

I don't get the whole Lady Stone Heart love. I think the whole thing would have come across as stupid if done on screen. Cat back from the dead traveling the countryside? Yeah, sounds stupid and would be even dumber on screen. Be glad that D&D cut that bomb out of the show.

TRios Zen

I wanted Stoneheart in season 3 and 4. Not now. That time has passed. I want Sansa to kill Freys now.

So seriously - some "villain" has to bite it this season, right?

Frey's or Bolton's are overdue I think.

Which of course means we'll get ADWD ending: Stannis' army near defeat, then the pink letter, leading to Jon's stabbing, cut to credits, 10 month wait.

I don't get the whole Lady Stone Heart love. I think the whole thing would have come across as stupid if done on screen. Cat back from the dead traveling the countryside? Yeah, sounds stupid and would be even dumber on screen. Be glad that D&D cut that bomb out of the show.

LSH cutting was a bad decision from a show only viewer perspective.

LSH was that hope for revenge for Stark family who pretty much lost everything when Rob was killed. Show should have definitely done it, right now as a show viewer all you have seen is the Stark family getting SHIT on for 5 seasons.

Real Hero

lol its happening get used to it

kirblar

I hope we get Varys's adventures in camping and ganking in the S6 premiere. Really isn't time enough to set up Kevan this season.

Lothar

Banned
So seriously - some "villain" has to bite it this season, right?

Frey's or Bolton's are overdue I think.

Which of course means we'll get ADWD ending: Stannis' army near defeat, then the pink letter, leading to Jon's stabbing, cut to credits, 10 month wait.

Boltons seem to have run their course. Another season and book of them doing the same stuff would be boring.

And if they're gone, the leader of WF would have to be either Sansa or Littlefinger.

What better way to continue Sansa's "empowerment" arc that to have her get pregnant only to choose on her own to drink moon tea and kill the unborn fetus so that Ramsay's evil bastard blood would not continue. Truly a masterful and powerful moment in her story that shows the benefits of being pro-choice and an example of a strong independent woman making her own life decisions.
You joke but Im sure someone actually believes this shit.

I dunno. It seems awkward to bring in LSH now. If Jon truly dies and it ends on that cliffhanger. It would piss alot of show watchers off. Why keep watching a show that kills your favorite characters? Like who the fuck survives would be my thinking if I didn't read the books. I hope they do the resurrection this season. It would setup next season for Jon leaving the wall and maybe heading to WInterfell? It would be stupid to do the resurrection next season imo.

Edit - My grammar is fucking atrocious. My god.

Turin

Banned
I hope we get Varys's adventures in camping and ganking in the S6 premiere. Really isn't time enough to set up Kevan this season.

At least we had that one prime Kevan moment in episode 2. Of course, his encounter with Varys won't have the effect it should have.

I've thought of the white raven scene working in a season 6 premiere, would give them some time to show Kevan undoing some of Cersei's fuckups. At the same time, the book pretty much yada yada'd that, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the show do the same.

I think the White Raven scene is a pretty killer final scene as well.

TRios Zen

I dunno. It seems awkward to being in LSH now. If Jon truly dies and it ends on that cliffhanger. It would give people hope for Jon to be resurrected in S6. I hope they do the resurrection this season. It would be stupid to do it next season imo.

LSH would be completely implausible to show watchers I think. She's been dead for two seasons and even though resurrection has been shown, it just seems like a reach for non-book readers (at this point).

I agree with hoping for something positive this season on the show, but that means I "haven't been paying attention".

RyanDG

Oh shit... Maybe Jon was dead when he left the tower, and Lyanna made Ned promise to go to the others to turn him into an undead baby. But because of his Targaryen line, the normal distinguishing other characteristics aren't prevalent since his blood is of both Ice and Fire. Jon's been an undead baby zombie this whole time.

Speevy

Banned

I have a feeling we'll see this guy again.

He's either Bruce Bolton or Waldo Frey.

He also reminds me of that guy in Wayne's World that they replace with Charlton Heston because he's not a good actor.

The show has reduced the Brienne and Podrick trip, which is extremely wasteful in the books.
Want to talk about wasteful? Wasting Gwendoline Christie's time with the show having reduced Brienne to staring at a tower for a light to go on. Riveting material right there.

Speevy

Banned
Brienne will probably sneak/kill her way into Sansa's room under cover of night.

It's absolutely clear that Brienne never gets anywhere near Stannis this season.

Iksenpets

Banned
Want to talk about wasteful? Wasting Gwendoline Christie's time with the show having reduced Brienne to staring at a tower for a light to go on. Riveting material right there.

It's possible her reduced role was necessary due to Star Wars filming.

Going in that direction to begin with, why shouldn't they double down? They made it as horrifying as possible. She absolutely shouldn't bounce back from it or act like it was no big deal. That would be the awful sexist rape empowerment trope. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Ok, this is true. Still hate the plot though. No matter where they take these characters in the future, it was still a season wasted on stagnate and or regressing character arcs for Sansa and Theon. And I really hate not liking it because the two actors are so good.

Turin

Banned
Stannis burning Ramsay alive as a sacrifice would be satisfying.

I tried to find a picture of a young Jonathan Pryce to use but it's impossible, Jonathan Pryce never looked young.

Kinda true. Though, I'd say he's still no match for Max Von Sydow in the "always looked old" department.

I tried to find a picture of a young Jonathan Pryce to use but it's impossible, Jonathan Pryce never looked young.

I remember seeing him in Brazil and thinking, "Wow, that guy hasn't aged a day! But in reverse."

Forgot she was in this season.

Moff

LSH is not happening. Her best time would of been last years finale. It would of been a perfect setup for Brienne/Pod path,

well with euron now in the show there is a possibility they will actually add more content from AFFC/ADWD in season 6 and get brienne and jaime back on track, I have never given up hope and I will be rewarded

so after a season of people complaining nothing's happening it'll end with
like four cliffhangers and minimal satisfaction.
at least they're getting the true book 4/5 experience (I partially kid)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But if rumors are true, and the ending encites a big enough reaction

what are the rumors?

the last 2 books contain so much nonsense and meandering that D&D are literally having to make shit up to keep things interesting.

And yet they're failing miserably at it. They had two huge books to base this season off of, plus years of planning, and this is the best they could come up with? Almost none of the storylines hold up under even the tiniest amount of scrutiny and some are just flat out bad. Pacing is also whack.

It has also brought Danny and Tyrion together without us having to deal with so much of the bloated shit GRRM put us through (long ass boat trip, slavery).

Tyrion's arc has been a long, boring, meandering mess this season though - one complete with a long ass boat trip and slavery shenanigans. 7 episodes comprises a good chunk of Tyrion's overall show arc and they've done nothing interesting with it.

fuzzyset

The timeline is already all wacky with Littlefinger teleporting around Westeros, Gilly's kid never aging, and Myrcella in Dorne for "years". Having LSH resurrected now would be ridiculous. Her body is long since decayed. They could, possibly, show her already up and at em with a "lol look what we haven't been showing you", but that's kinda dumb and way less impact.

-griffy-

Banned
Tyrion's arc has been a long, boring, meandering mess this season though - one complete with a long ass boat trip and slavery shenanigans. 7 episodes comprises a good chunk of Tyrion's overall show arc and they've done nothing interesting with it.
Tyrion's entire arc this season has been like 6 scenes and that's it, and something happens in every single one of them. He hasn't even been in every episode, has he? He was in a crate, he got out and talked to Varys. He walks through Volantis, goes to a brothel and gets captured by Jorah. Jorah steals a boat and knocks Tyrion out after he is annoying. They see Drogon and get stoned. They get captured by slavers. They get sold. They are at the bush league fighting pit and meet Dany. And here we are.

It's literally not a long, boring, meandering mess because it's factually not long or meandering. Every single one of his few scenes has pushed that story forward.

As far as I can tell, Season 3 Episode 7: "The Bear and the Maiden Fair."
Yeah, I think that's correct.

^^^^^^

I believe Tyrion has been in each episode:
501: Pentos
502: In the wagon, Varys complains about Tyrion being drunk the whole time
503: Volantis scenes
504: Jorah steals the boat, Tyrion figures out who he is and where they're going
505: Valyria
506: They talk a out Jorah father, later talk about Dany, get captured
507: They are sold, minor league gladiator scene with Dany

LSH or no LSH, I want the Brotherhood Without Banners back. I miss those guys.

Agreed. Even if it's just Thoros and Beric back with a bunch of other guys. I hope next season they really show the effect of the wars on the small people. The casting spots they've announced (though nameless) seem to indicate we might be getting some Riverlands stuff (maybe through Brienne travelling there, assuming she survives?).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tyrion's entire arc this season has been like 6 scenes and that's it, and something happens in every single one of them.

He's been in way more scenes than that.

He hasn't even been in every episode, has he?

Yes.

It's literally not a long, boring, meandering mess because it's factually not long or meandering. Every single one of his few scenes has pushed that story forward.

His arc has been (and worse, felt) long. 7 episodes on the road doing fuck all is boring. Maybe it isn't the dictionary definition of meandering, but considering that all of the characters in Westeros have a teleporter to arrive anywhere they wish instantly, it makes it even harder to swallow that Tyrion is the only one who has to actually spend time travelling anywhere.

Turin

Banned
Tyrion's has felt like a side story this year. Didn't bug me at all.

Didn't you hear? Jorah rode with his flaming sword. He's Thoros of Myr now.

He's also the witch who killed Khal Drogo. And Jon Connington as well.

Agreed. Even if it's just Thoros and Beric back with a bunch of other guys. I hope next season they really show the effect of the wars on the small people. The casting spots they've announced (though nameless) seem to indicate we might be getting some Riverlands stuff (maybe through Brienne travelling there, assuming she survives?).

Hey. They also have Anguy.

foxtrot3d

Banned
He's been in way more scenes than that.

Yes.

His arc has been (and worse, felt) long. 7 episodes on the road doing fuck all is boring. Maybe it isn't the dictionary definition of meandering, but considering that all of the characters in Westeros have a teleporter to arrive anywhere they wish instantly, it makes it even harder to swallow that Tyrion is the only one who has to actually spend time travelling anywhere.

???

Did we read the same books or did you want TWOW spoilers all the way through the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom