• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

What are loglines?

Final two episodes:

Episode #49: “The Dance of Dragons”

Stannis confronts a troubling decision. Jon returns to The Wall. Mace visits the Iron Bank. Arya encounters someone from her past. Dany reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Episode #50: “Mother’s Mercy”

Stannis marches. Dany is surrounded by strangers. Cersei seeks forgiveness. Jon is challenged.

So that episode title...they're trolling right? Or is it referring to
Selyse?

They're not trolling. I think people just haven't paid attention to the show if they don't understand what it means.
The High Sparrow said that those who beg "the Mother's mercy" could be pardoned by the Faith. It refers to confessing your sins and showing contrition. It directly refers to Cersei's walk of shame and has nothing to do with Stoneheart conspiracies.

I mean, Rickon has to be end game in some form...right?

205Rickon.gif

Rickon eats the Night's King.

Lothar

Banned
Why should I want to see Sansa as Wardeness of the North? She's not a Northerner in her heart. She doesn't know what being a Northerner means. She's the only Stark in her generation who isn't a warg.

I honestly don't understand why anyone likes her or wants her to ascend in the North except that they want to see the Boltons get bopped or they want to feel like all this time spent on Sansa had some consequence and wasn't a massive waste of time.

If she's not in a position of power, her whole storyline since KL would feel like a waste of time. Littlefinger is grooming her to be a political player. If she's never in a leadership position, that would be like if Arya never killed anyone after her assassin training.

She's learned to hate the south and appreciate the north. That's heavy handed in the chapter where she builds the snow Winterfell castle.

Is there even such a thing? Would the north let a woman be warden?

Littlefinger said in the show that Stannis would make her Wardeness when he arrived.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Why should I want to see Sansa as Wardeness of the North? She's not a Northerner in her heart. She doesn't know what being a Northerner means. She's the only Stark in her generation who isn't a warg.

I honestly don't understand why anyone likes her or wants her to ascend in the North except that they want to see the Boltons get bopped or they want to feel like all this time spent on Sansa had some consequence and wasn't a massive waste of time.

That's not entirely true, it's very possible that she was a warg but didn't understand it. Afterall, she dreamt of running through the forest with Lady. Also, why exactly is she not a "Northerner at heart?" Why, because she doesn't have a beard or is as wild as Arya? Sansa IS a Northerner, that cannot be disputed and she grew up in the North so she knows everything about Northern culture. However, like any pre-teen Sansa grew up wanting to get away from home and experience the more "fanciful" and "proper" culture of the South. She has learned now that the South and KL is nothing she should have ever dreamed about.

I think the Sansa stuff and Dorne have been the shittiest parts of this season so far when it comes to over all story lines so far. Considering how much shit there is to wade through it's not entirely horrible. I think I wish had Sansa be the show's "Lady Stoneheart" in a way.

I'd be very surprised if they left Jon's cliffhanger the same as the books. You can't do that in a TV show because it would be found out immediately that he was revived when he is spotted on set. I think they will show that he is not dead by his eyes turning white or some shit like that being the final shot or they will keep the stab until next season. The former is more likely.

Is LSH happening this season? Saw this on Reddit.BWB actor tweets late last year and deleted

That was confirmed fake.

I'd be very surprised if they left Jon's cliffhanger the same as the books. You can't do that in a TV show because it would be found out immediately that he was revived when he is spotted on set. I think they will show that he is not dead by his eyes turning white or some shit like that being the final shot or they will keep the stab until next season. The former is more likely.

That was confirmed fake.

Yeah I just finished a google image search. Its photo shopped. So sad though. I was hyped for a bit lol

Also, I do agree with you. They just can't just end the season with Jon getting stabbed. Something needs to happen because he needs to live.

Saya

If they actually go through with LSH that would be exciting. Pod's actor said the finale would "break the internet". He's probably talking about
Jon being stabbed
, but LSH would definitely be a good contender for that as well.

foxtrot3d

Banned
If they actually go through with LSH that would be exciting. Pod's actor said the finale would "break the internet". He's probably talking about
Jon being stabbed
, but LSH would definitely be a good contender for that as well.

I hated LSH in the books and think it's too late for the show to do it now.

I hated LSH in the books and think it's too late for the show to do it now.

It would just be a bizarre turn if it happened now, especially since there has been no set up for it.

It really just feels like the Euron casting stuff is making everyone think all the things once thought scrapped are now actually coming in late.

So based on the loglines for the finale this season...
Stannis attacks Winterfell -> cliffhanger, Dany meets the new Dothraki -> cliffhanger, Cersei does the walk of shame, and Jon gets stabbed -> cliffhanger?

Doubtful. Season finishers generally like to do more to give an indication of what's coming next (and to leave room for season openers to do a lot of here's-what-this-season's-plots-will-be).

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I think the drop in ratings is due to the first 4 epsiodes getting leaked.
I know of a few people who pirated the first 4 episodes and didnt watch the show until episode 6 or 7 because of the long gap between 1-4 and a new episode, so they simply forgot..

Paganmoon

I don’t get all of the hate the show is getting. I think D&D are doing a great job considering how overall shitty AFFC/ADWD are. GRRM just phoned that shit in. The first 3 books were released in close proximity (1996, 1998 and 2000). AFFC was released 5 years later (2005) and ADWD was released 6 years after that (2011). I feel GRRM lost his focus over that time. The first 3 books are solid and easily adaptable to television, the last 2 books contain so much nonsense and meandering that D&D are literally having to make shit up to keep things interesting.

The show has reduced the Brienne and Podrick trip, which is extremely wasteful in the books. It has also brought Danny and Tyrion together without us having to deal with so much of the bloated shit GRRM put us through (long ass boat trip, fake Targaryan, slavery, pig jousting, joining sellswords, etc.).

I don’t even want to get started on the whole Ironborn conflict, which ran on and on in the books. It bored me to tears and the show seems to have done away with it. I wouldn’t mind if Daario = Euron, as some have theorized, but I really don’t want to see damphair, kingsmoot crap. I almost skipped that shit in the books.

The last two books lack direction, I feel GRRM is milking that shit for all it is worth and writing on and on about whatever just to pad length so he can make more bucks (I don’t blame him, but as a fan it is annoying to read).

The show is doing very well in adapting GRRM’s work for screen. Haters are complaining now about certain things, but I guarantee the complaints would have been much louder if D&D wasted multiple episodes on Ironborn politics, Brienne / Podrick trip culminating in Brienne getting her face chewed off, Davos trips, Fake Aegon, Tyrion’s super slow trip to Mereen, etc.

I wasn’t too happy with the Sansa arc, but any book reader should have known Sansa was getting put into the “fake Arya” role. The book is much worse, what with Reek actually warming things up and the dogs getting involved.

Overall, this season has been great, ESPECIALLY given what D&D have to work with as inspiration (AFFC/ADWD).

This man knows what's up, completely agree about the bloat and that the show is doing its best to adapt the latest books.

Show still sucks ass for the Sansa arc though, no forgiving that.

Moff

it's hard to believe that some people here honestly think tyrion's show arc was more boring than in the book's.
his ADWD chapter are among the most disappointing ones in the whole series, not only doesn't anything interesting happen, they are an incredible drag to read, and to top it off penny and tysha make them absolutely awful.
and while his arc in season 6 is certainly his worst in the Show, too. it's so much more enjoyable than in the books, it's actually good and they handled the adaption very well, it's all I hoped for they would do after I read it in ADWD.

foxtrot3d

Banned
it's hard to believe that some people here honestly think tyrion's show arc was more boring than in the book's.
his ADWD chapter are among the most disappointing ones in the whole series, not only doesn't anything interesting happen, they are an incredible drag to read, and to top it off penny and tysha make them absolutely awful.
and while his arc in season 6 is certainly his worst in the Show, too. it's so much more enjoyable than in the books, it's actually good and they handled the adaption very well, it's all I hoped for they would do after I read it in ADWD.

Eh, while I agree with the show condensing all that stuff I still enjoyed all his chapters in the books. In fact, they are some of my favorite chapters.

I think some of the problems with this season are that D&D haven't been ambitious enough with their cuts. They could have restructured things even more around the pre-existing main characters. If they are really bringing Euron and Oldtown into the next season then I don't even know how they are going to do that plus the remaining unwritten parts of the series in 7 or 8 seasons without the pacing being all sorts of fucked up. And if the show's popularity has peaked, so probably has their budget.

I don’t get all of the hate the show is getting. I think D&D are doing a great job considering how overall shitty AFFC/ADWD are. GRRM just phoned that shit in. The first 3 books were released in close proximity (1996, 1998 and 2000). AFFC was released 5 years later (2005) and ADWD was released 6 years after that (2011). I feel GRRM lost his focus over that time. The first 3 books are solid and easily adaptable to television, the last 2 books contain so much nonsense and meandering that D&D are literally having to make shit up to keep things interesting.

The shit they're making up really isn't interesting though.

Sansa married, again. Getting abused, again. Been there, seen that. Getting a bit boring now.

Oh no! Bronn is poisoned, he's done for!
*One minute and two tits later*
Oh no, he's fine now.

'Let's kill Selmy. He takes too much screen time away from Grey Worm and Missandei'.

The show has reduced the Brienne and Podrick trip, which is extremely wasteful in the books.

Brienne has literally been sitting in a room staring out a window for two whole episodes episodes now. Again, that really isn't interesting either.

Yoda

I think some of the problems with this season are that D&D haven't been ambitious enough with their cuts. They could have restructured things even more around the pre-existing main characters. If they are really bringing Euron and Oldtown into the next season then I don't even know how they are going to do that plus the remaining unwritten parts of the series in 7 or 8 seasons without the pacing being all sorts of fucked up. And if the show's popularity has peaked, so probably has their budget.

They always tend to spend their extra budget on worthless CG *cough* skeletons before the blood raven *cough*. I'm more worried about the character arcs going forward. Seeing how lame Jamie and Bronn's secret agent mission into Dorne was... I really don't know where Jamie's character is going @ this point.

The shit they're making up really isn't interesting though.

Sansa married, again. Getting abused, again. Been there, seen that. Getting a bit boring now.

Oh no! Bronn is poisoned, he's done for!
*One minute and two tits later*
Oh no, he's fine now.

'Let's kill Selmy. He takes too much screen time away from Grey Worm and Missandei'.
Grey Worm and Missandei been MIA most of the season, and they've never taken up much screen time. It's always funny to see the misplaced anger directed at those characters.

But really, killing Barristan was fine. The show has enough minor characters that they don't have time to do justice to. They could probably stand to kill off more of them tbh.

They always tend to spend their extra budget on worthless CG *cough* skeletons before the blood raven *cough*. I'm more worried about the character arcs going forward. Seeing how lame Jamie and Bronn's secret agent mission into Dorne was... I really don't know where Jamie's character is going @ this point.
Even beyond the silliness of the Dorne plotline, I don't think Jaime has had enough time devoted to his character arc. It's things like that that make me think they are still trying to cram too many subplots into the show.

Ratrat

They cut stuff out without adding anything interesting. Tyrion meeting Ilyrio, Connington, scheming with Griff, hearing about Danys reputation, even the stuff with Jorah had more punch to it. In the show they hardly seem to have an interest and their interactions are lame. At best it's inoffensive and brief.

Brakke

Banned
If she's not in a position of power, her whole storyline since KL would feel like a waste of time. Littlefinger is grooming her to be a political player. If she's never in a leadership position, that would be like if Arya never killed anyone after her assassin training.

She's learned to hate the south and appreciate the north. That's heavy handed in the chapter where she builds the snow Winterfell castle.

I say yeah, her whole KL story did feel like a waste of time. Every minute spent with Sansa is a waste of time to me. I don't need a story about a naive idiot who's perpetually traumatized and ground into a panicked, inactive cypher. Is that snow castle scene about identifying with the Northern, independent, active, duty-bound spirit? Or is about nostalgia for a time when her family was alive and she had parents? Would Sansa swing the sword herself to lop off the head of a Night's Watch deserter?

When Robb called the banners the thing that got people rallied was his firm, violent cajoling the Greatjon into line. Robb wasn't just named Stark, he *was* Stark. In temperament, Sansa takes after Cat before she fell in love with Ned and really became Stark. She wears the Stark name but she's really Sansa Tully. Or Sansa Baelish.

That's not entirely true, it's very possible that she was a warg but didn't understand it. Afterall, she dreamt of running through the forest with Lady. Also, why exactly is she not a "Northerner at heart?" Why, because she doesn't have a beard or is as wild as Arya? Sansa IS a Northerner, that cannot be disputed and she grew up in the North so she knows everything about Northern culture. However, like any pre-teen Sansa grew up wanting to get away from home and experience the more "fanciful" and "proper" culture of the South. She has learned now that the South and KL is nothing she should have ever dreamed about.

She didn't have any worthwhile warg experience in the show. And even though neither has Arya, at least Nymeria is still alive, so far as we know. It'll be a real bungling of the heaviest, most obvious, non-negotiable symbol of those wolves if they never bring Nymeria back. Plus in the books anyway we have Arya's prototype in Lyanna. Arya fits a Stark type. Sansa doesn't.

Has she ever demonstrated "knowing everything about Northern culture"? Has she made any kind of decision or play or remark since returning to Winterfell to support the claim that she has any kind of expertise or intuition about the North? She should have sent off for some girlhood friend or used some intimate secret knowledge of the crypt or the Godswood or something to start mustering allies. So far all she's done is claim that her family has allies in the North and been told by some old bat that the North Remembers. But she herself hasn't done anything to demonstrate a Northern spirit or even Northern networking / friendship roots.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well if they cast Euron for season 6, surely season 7 involves the Manderly clan.

Ironborn been cut brah

I mean, Rickon has to be end game in some form...right?

He'll obviously return eventually (with a completely different actor, no doubt), and after 2+ seasons of being absent, it better be worth it! Perhaps he'll save Westeros from the Others with an army of sled dogs, walrus', shadowcats, and unicorns!

This isn't accurate. Technically Martin started writing AGOT in 1991 and was writing much of all three books at the same time.

ADWD/AFFC was delayed due to structural problems Martin couldn't figure out how to fix. 5 year gap, the Meereenese Knot, etc.

Moff

They cut stuff out without adding anything interesting. Tyrion meeting Ilyrio, Connington, scheming with Griff, hearing about Danys reputation, even the stuff with Jorah had more punch to it. In the show they hardly seem to have an interest and their interactions are lame. At best it's inoffensive and brief.

I agree with this, but I consider the arc in ADWD offensively bad and long :p

Ratrat

I agree with this, but I consider the arc in ADWD offensively bad and long :p
Fair enough. I wish they had kept the revenge angle though. It feels like there is very little character progression this season. Whether it's Sansa reverting to her season 2 self or Dany feeding people to dragons and then reacting in horror with the 'I'm no butcher!' line and averts her eyes at the training pits is just silly.

carlsojo

Fair enough. I wish they had kept the revenge angle though. It feels like there is very little character progression this season. Whether it's Sansa reverting to her season 2 self or Dany feeding people to dragons and then reacting in horror with the 'I'm no butcher!' line and averts her eyes at the training pits is just silly.

The people she fed to dragons were people she felt to be responsible for the Sons of the Harpy. The people fighting in the pits were slaves she had "freed", so I can understand why she didn't enjoy that.

Ikael

Final two episodes:

Episode #49: “The Dance of Dragons”

Stannis confronts a troubling decision. Jon returns to The Wall. Mace visits the Iron Bank. Arya encounters someone from her past. Dany reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Episode #50: “Mother’s Mercy”

Stannis marches. Dany is surrounded by strangers. Cersei seeks forgiveness. Jon is challenged.

Hmmm, my take on each one:

Episode 49:

Stannis captures runaway Theon and Sansa. He ponders whetever to accept Brienne's duel and / or Selysse's sacrifice, and what the hell to do with his new prisioners. Daznak's pit, Daenerys runs away with her dragon.

A kinda weaksauce episode 9, me thinks :/

Episode 50:

Stannis marches, gets killed. Daenerys meets the Dothraki, resolves to move towards Westeros at fucking last. Cersei's walk of shame. Appeals to trial by combat? Ayra's "Mercy" chapter. Jon gets stabbed and revived, possibly involuntarily.

If they resolve these plots all will be good with the world. If all of these ends up in cliffhangers like the books, I am going to burst out of sheer anger. Martin's decision of adding a cliffhanger between two books without resolving none of the multiple plots that he opened in AFFC and ADWD infuriates me to no end.

SteveWD40

I hate to admit but I can't see them resolving anything huge this series, which means cliffhanger central.

Stannis may die (Brienne?) but Ramsay better had as well or I may be done, smug, plot armoured little shit.

munchie64

I don't think it's giving D & D too much credit to say that Ramsay purposefully has a giant plot death wish on him. I'd say it's obvious on any other show.

Ramsey ain't dying this season, FACT.

Source: not actually a fact.

That said:

I seem to remember Iwan Rheon saying he hopes they won't kill him off next year because he's just purchased a house and needs to pay it off. Make of that what you will.

SteveWD40

I like the idea that Stannis kills him / Roose and is victorious...then Brienne shows up and he goes out like a boss.

which means it won't happen.

Grey Worm and Missandei been MIA most of the season, and they've never taken up much screen time. It's always funny to see the misplaced anger directed at those characters.

But really, killing Barristan was fine. The show has enough minor characters that they don't have time to do justice to. They could probably stand to kill off more of them tbh.

Like Grey Worm! He's had somewhere around 20 minutes total screen time so far, every second of which could have been much better spent elsewhere. Knowing D&D, no Grey Worm probably would have just meant 20 minutes of extra boobs though.

That said:

I seem to remember Iwan Rheon saying he hopes they won't kill him off next year because he's just purchased a house and needs to pay it off. Make of that what you will.

Go back and look the quote up, though. Sounds like he said too much and was trying to walk it back.

Iksenpets

Banned

That said:

Lol, if that true, it'd suck if they're ending season 5 on a cliffhanger and doing the battle in 6.01. Then he might get his scripts and find out he dies in the premiere and he's left with a fat one-episode paycheck.

fuzzyset

I've been pretty positive about this season in general, but if they don't have the Battle of Winterfell this season I'll be very upset. Theres 4/5/6? story lines affected by the BoW which they've been discussing ALL SEASON. Not having that will be inexcusable. Given that
Stannis is only marching in ep 10
, I'm not as hopeful as I once was.

Ratrat

Hardhome and Daznaks Pit will eat the entire budget. GoT has generally shied away from having battles and it seems unlikely they would have three huge set pieces.

munchie64

I've been pretty positive about this season in general, but if they don't have the Battle of Winterfell this season I'll be very upset. Theres 4/5/6? story lines affected by the BoW which they've been discussing ALL SEASON. Not having that will be inexcusable. Given that
Stannis is only marching in ep 10
, I'm not as hopeful as I once was.
Yeah this is the season of Winterfell in a way. I think at this point I can safely say that no matter how good/bad everything else is, I personally will be disappointed with no decent Winterfell wrap up this season. What kind of wrap up... well if there even is one, there are so many ways it could go. The dream is having the battle finished with a decently clear victor but that seems impossible now.

Go back and look the quote up, though. Sounds like he said too much and was trying to walk it back.

Oh really? I remember seeing the quote on a different site a while back so I can't really remember its context.

I also found this quote from Alfie Allen floating around:

"There's some amazing scenes between Ramsay and his father this year, without a shadow of a doubt, and I think the Boltons are going to be a force to be reckoned with for the years to come."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom