• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any time to set up a resurrection, and warging would probably seem like an asspull with no prior setup. Maybe they'll cut before he breathes his last breath. Or he'll just be dead as shit when the credits start rolling.

I'm just looking forward to internet reactions lol

E: Jon's importance to Melisandre has been made explicit + some will remember Beric's Red God revival. Some will think something's up.

Moff

It's also a potentially weird plot device that works well specifically because of the POV format of the books. When you actually spend time with Stannis first hand and see him marching for Winterfell, and then just cut away from the battle and learn the "outcome" from a letter, it might feel completely cheap and lame on screen.

well we see at least a bit from the battle, we have seen bloodied ramsey and stannis in trailers/interviews. it could end with a small but indecisive highlight, unlike others I would like the season to end with all the books cliffhangers and I think it can work if they do it right.

Speevy

Banned
If there is one thing D and D excel at, it's taking ambiguous things and making them stupidly clear to the audience.

There will be no doubt about what awaits our characters in season 6.

Victarion

Why don't people realize that leaving Jon's resurrection for next season is not an option? Showrunners can't hide Jon being cast for the next season.

Moff

Why don't people realize that leaving Jon's resurrection for next season is not an option? Showrunners can't hide Jon being cast for the next season.

I just don't think it's that important, what's important is the initial effect. hearing/reading after some time that kit harrington is on the next season might even be positive and encourage people again to watch.

however, we don't really know that jon will be ressurected, as far as I know the most common theory is that he wargs into ghost. but it would probably make more sense for the show to keep kit harrington.

Most people don't watch the casting, they just watch the show.
Also, who cares? They need to make the show without worrying how the internet might spoil it.

Brakke

Banned
arya was mentioned in the pink letter wasn't she? of course sansa will be mentioned instead of her.

That makes the thing pretty empty though. Did Jon ever even have a scene with Sansa? Arya in peril matters because Jon love Arya and was bros with Arya and that was reciprocated, we know because Needle. Jon doesn't have that with Sansa.

Moff

That makes the thing pretty empty though. Did Jon ever even have a scene with Sansa? Arya in peril matters because Jon love Arya and was bros with Arya and that was reciprocated, we know because Needle. Jon doesn't have that with Sansa.

that's true but he won't simply ignore it either, and the scene would work simply because ramsay likes to tease and he doesn't know sansa and jon had little connection.
I feel they wanted to build up on that connection a bit when ramsay mentioned jon to her in the last episode.

cLOUDo

they trying to do this with Charle Dance and fails

They should do the same thing they did to Daenerys in season 1

I'm counting exactly with that to make people chill out. But if this show was mine, I'd make Kit film all his scenes from season 6 now so no rumours and news about his casting. And so.. "Surprise modafocas, here is your favorite bastard ressurected in season 6!"

kirblar

You know like most of the people that watch the show won't be following casting news or set photos.
It's the sort of thing that gets covered on EW.com and such- you can't hide it, and the book readers will spoil people anyway. You have to put enough in the show to let the audience figure it out themselves.

It's not like George was subtle about it either- Man Wolf Man and all.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Guys this show is mainstream now. The majority of its viewer base is not on GAF or EW.com. They just turn on the TV once a week and watch.

Victarion

It's the sort of thing that gets covered on EW.com and such- you can't hide it, and the book readers will spoil people anyway. You have to put enough in the show to let the audience figure it out themselves.

It's not like George was subtle about it either- Man Wolf Man and all.

Exactly, the shit from EW or whatever just pops up every week on my facebook feed even though I have not followed any of them, they simply appear because they are posts related to Game of Thrones.

Exactly, the shit from EW or whatever just pops up every week on my facebook feed even though I have not followed any of them, they simply appear because they are posts related to Game of Thrones.

That should still have no bearing at all on how they film the show. His death is huge regardless of an EW cover. If anyone ever goes back and watches the show for the first time later, it's still better structure to have this big death as a cliffhanger and not a quick reveal. They 'spoiled' that charles dance was cast again this season, did anyone think his ass wasn't dead?

Brakke

Banned
that's true but he won't simply ignore it either, and the scene would work simply because ramsay likes to tease and he doesn't know sansa and jon had little connection.
I feel they wanted to build up on that connection a bit when ramsay mentioned jon to her in the last episode.

Yeah I'm just thinking about the Previously On... segment they do on broadcast and on HBO GO now. If Jon was going to get a Pink Letter about Arya they would slot in him giving her Needle and them huggin' it up. Since it's Sansa though I don't think they can drop anything in there. I guess you just have Olly deliver the letter and then Jon tells him some touching story about Sansa
and then Olly says GOSH YEAH WOW IT MUST SUCK TO HAVE SO MUCH FAMILY YOU CARE ABOUT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A REALLY TOUGH PROBLEM FOR YOU YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD and stabs him

Victarion

That should still have no bearing at all on how they film the show. His death is huge regardless of an EW cover. If anyone ever goes back and watches the show for the first time later, it's still better structure to have this big death as a cliffhanger and not a quick reveal. They 'spoiled' that charles dance was cast again this season, did anyone think his ass wasn't dead?

It's clearly a different case compared to Charles Dance. He only had a short scene in S5 while Jon will obviously have more scenes to play, there are gonna be some leaked photos from one of those scenes at least and people will realize he's alive.

Again, they don't have to go crazy and straight up show Jon reborn as Azor Ahai or whatever, they can just show a 5 second close up of Jon at the end of episode 10 where he opens his eyes and BAAM season ends right there.

Brakke

Banned
And I love that people are again pre-criticizing the show for something that hasn't even happened yet, and may not happen, in the show.

Nah it's more trying to anticipate if it will happen. I think it won't, or it'll be super different, because that letter plays so different in the show universe than it did in the book universe.

He did leave for Robb, his brothers brought him back. Assuming Sam is gone by the time he's dead, there will be no one to convince him otherwise.

Uhhh he's Lord Commander now. Since he tried to run off to Robb he's fallen in love, lost a love, been elected Lord Commander by brothers he fought alongside, brokered deals with a King. He doesn't need Sam to hold him back at Castle Black...

99% of the people that watch this show either don't pay attention to casting/set pictures or try to avoid them because of spoilers. Such a leak would make people want to watch S6, to see what happens to him.

Honestly after this season I don't know why anyone would look for that stuff anyway. I actually want to be surprised.

Iksenpets

Banned
If he didnt leave for Robb why would he leave for Sansa?

"I have to go help my brother avenge our father" is a really different situation from "I have to rescue my sister from a crazy torturer-rapist". Jon wanted to help Robb, sure, but he also knew Robb could take care of himself. Robb didn't need Jon, even if they would have liked to have been together. With Sansa it's either he rescues her now or leaves her to her life of misery.

The show is kind of throwing me for a loop by having Ramsay clearly in battle with Stannis. The Pink Letter stuff works in the book because Ramsay could potentially be back at Winterfell, so it's plausible that he's getting misinformation from the battlefield. If Ramsay is there, then we either have to buy into one of the theories that someone else writes the letter, or accept that it really is a true, first-hand account of the battle from Ramsay. They could replace it with a letter from Sansa begging for help if they absolutely need to to move the plot along, but that probably wouldn't be quite as impactful as Ramsay's letter, and it would be disappointing after they already developed Ramsay's flair for letter writing.

hoos30

You don't have to be bros with your last known living sibling to care for them and want to help them get out of a shitty situation.

Iksenpets

Banned

Moff

If he didnt leave for Robb why would he leave for Sansa?

well it wasn't just about arya in the book either, at that point she already fled winterfell with mance, she is safe, ramsay even wrote that in the letter
robb was much further away and jon was just a steward
now ramsay threatens him directly in the letter and jon has 2 armies at his command

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

Euron, Randyll Tarly, a potential fusion of Septon Meribald and the Elder Brother who maybe has the Hound, Sam's mom, brother, and sister, some sort of flashback involving child Ned, Arya's acting troupe, and what looks like a Dothraki character. And a priestess; no one really knows what she's about. Maybe a Moqorro stand-in?

Shit, that kind of reveals a lot about next season!
Sam apparently does go to Oldtown after all, GREYJOY(S)!!! YAAAAS, Bran tree internet flashbacks...and if they're doing Septon Meribald, then does that mean Brienne (and by extension, Sansa) will still be in Winterfell next year and they're bringing him into the fold for some reason, or that she'll rescue Sansa and go on the road again? Maybe head back towards the Riverlands? Maybe team Brienne + Sansa up with the tBwB? Lady Sansaheart? And then they could do Jaime's arc from AFFC...?! ahhhhhhhhhh

Btw, is the acting troupe thing from TWOW? I don't remember that.

Iksenpets

Banned
Shit, that kind of reveals a lot about next season!
Sam apparently does go to Oldtown after all, GREYJOY(S)!!! YAAAAS, Bran tree internet flashbacks...and if they're doing Septon Meribald, then does that mean Brienne (and by extension, Sansa) will still be in Winterfell next year and they're bringing him into the fold for some reason, or that she'll rescue Sansa and go on the road again? Maybe head back towards the Riverlands? Maybe team Brienne + Sansa up with the tBwB? Lady Sansaheart? And then they could do Jaime's arc from AFFC...?! ahhhhhhhhhh

Btw, is the acting troupe thing from TWOW? I don't remember that.

Yeah, the acting troupe is in the Mercy chapter. Spoilers for that chapter:
Which is weird, since the chapter implies she'll be leaving them, so you would think they're not relevant anymore since the show is adapting Mercy this season, but maybe they just really liked the idea of Arya training as an actress and the little play that they do?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, the acting troupe is in the Mercy chapter. Spoilers for that chapter:
Which is weird, since the chapter implies she'll be leaving them, so you would think they're not relevant anymore since the show is adapting Mercy this season, but maybe they just really liked the idea of Arya training as an actress and the little play that they do?

Oh, I see. That's cool.

Nekofrog

Banned
Can he live on inside her instead so we still have Carice van Houten on the show?

i'm pretty sure we had a thread about this a few days ago (what would you do if you woke up as the opposite gender?)

imagine waking up in that body, when you already have a penchant for redheads. no progress would ever be made.

Massa

Poor Renly.

004_Jon_Borne-1024x576.jpg

Anthony: “When they arrested Margaery and Loras, I was saying, ‘My queen! My man! Are you kidding me? I’m getting angry.”

Sean C

Theon had never had any scenes with Sansa either, but the Winterfell arc's emotional content is premised on their having been foster-siblings, so I don't think that would stop the writers.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Theon had never had any scenes with Sansa either, but the Winterfell arc's emotional content is premised on their having been foster-siblings, so I don't think that would stop the writers.

Or perhaps Theon's former secret feelings towards Sansa. Man, Theon was such a prick, actually I still think he is in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom