• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Oh wait he's just doing the tunnel again? Ok that literally means nothing. And we know D&D have said there are no major spoilers this season for TWOW so Stannis dying is out of the picture.

Wait, so he just renewed the show he had already done? That's no big deal then. We know they worked around that before.

Speevy

Banned
Although IMDB is notoriously unreliable,
he is slated for all ten episodes.

His daughter is only listed for the first four, Melisanndre is only listed in the first five, but both Stannis and Davos are listed for 5.10.

Gemma Whelan is weirdly listed for 5.10. Maybe Ramsay captures her and kills her in front of Reek?

Jigorath

Banned
Hey guys, have we talked about Stephen Dillane's signing full time on another show next season?

That seems kind of significant.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If he goes who the hell do I have to root for? The crazy dragon lady without any dragons? The stupid little kid who's marrying natalie dormer? Fuck it, let the Others win. Game over guys. The 7 Kingdoms are fucked.

Oh wait he's just doing the tunnel again? Ok that literally means nothing. And we know D&D have said there are no major spoilers this season for TWOW so Stannis dying is out of the picture.

There has to be a major spoiler if we're getting the Battle of Winterfell this season. Unless they pull a Martin and leave it for next season which would be pretty annoying.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If he goes who the hell do I have to root for? The crazy dragon lady without any dragons? The stupid little kid who's marrying natalie dormer? Fuck it, let the Others win. Game over guys. The 7 Kingdoms are fucked.

There has to be a major spoiler if we're getting the Battle of Winterfell this season. Unless they pull a Martin and leave it for next season which would be pretty annoying.
They probably are leaving the battle until season 6.

I thought that but then looked at the actor. He is too young, fAegon needs to be at least the same age as Jon Snow and to be completely consistent a couple of years older.

When he says fake Aegon, I think he means he will have Aegon's storyline.(i.e. invading the Stormlands with an army) Not that he'll turn out to be a Targaeryon.

ryseing

When he says fake Aegon, I think he means he will have Aegon's storyline.(i.e. invading the Stormlands with an army) Not that he'll turn out to be a Targaeryon.

I actually meant the Targaryen part.

The age thing doesn't completely dissuade me from that thinking. Trystane's actor looks similar enough in age to Jon.

If we are going to talk about characters aging up too fast then Rhaegal and Visceron are the stand out culprts. They have trebled in size since they were locked away but I suppose dragons=magic so they don't have to obey any sort of laws of biology or thermodynamics.

Yeah there huge, Pretty sure Drogon in the books is described as his body being the size of a horse with the others fair bit smaller. If Drogon is bigger again in the show then hes gotta be the size of a castle by now .

Yeah there huge, Pretty sure Drogon in the books is described as his body being the size of a horse with the others fair bit smaller. If Drogon is bigger again in the show then hes gotta be the size of a castle by now .

Isn't Drogon basically Balerion the Dread? Wasn't Balerion's head as big as a carriage?

suzu

As of A Dance with Dragons, Drogon's wings stretch 20 feet from tip-to-tip, black as jet.

Balerion was the largest of all the Targaryen dragons, his teeth were as long as swords and his jaws big enough to swallow a mammoth whole.[4] His fire was as black as his scales, his wingspan so vast that entire towns would fall under his shadow when he passed overhead.

From the wiki. :eek: The tv show version probably won't ever be that huge. lol

NeoGiff

Although IMDB is notoriously unreliable,
he is slated for all ten episodes.

His daughter is only listed for the first four, Melisanndre is only listed in the first five, but both Stannis and Davos are listed for 5.10.

Gemma Whelan is weirdly listed for 5.10. Maybe Ramsay captures her and kills her in front of Reek?

It's unreliable, but Dillane did film a lot this year - significantly more than in previous seasons.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's unreliable, but Dillane did film a lot this year - significantly more than in previous seasons.

Agreed on the unreliability of IMDB, but checking it just now after reading his post
I think he overstated the Stannis appearances. He's listed for 8. Episodes 6 and 8 are the only ones he's not on. That seems much more realistic. Nothing to confirm that or anything, but it fits with what we know. Also, on the Yara bit he mentioned, she's actually listed in 3 episodes, 7, 9, and 10, which would fit with the idea of a very brief Yara plot that ends up connecting her with Stannis towards the end of the season.

I actually meant the Targaryen part.

The age thing doesn't completely dissuade me from that thinking. Trystane's actor looks similar enough in age to Jon.

I think an Trystane who isn't Aegon but who does pretty much everything Aegon does fits a little bit better, just because it's a bit less backstory to explain. It would just be that Doran was a co-conspirator with Varys and Illyrio (I think it was intentional that Varys mentioned multiple colleagues last episode) and once they got word that Viserys and Drogo were dead, the plan shifted away from them and towards Dany, who they planned to tie down with a marriage to Trystane. When Trystane finds out he's going to marry Dany when she arrives, he decides he should start conquering now to impress her when she gets here, and attacks Storm's End, just like Aegon. He basically becomes a weird fusion of Aegon, Quentyn, and Arianne all in one.

bengraven

Pink letter correct after all?

She was hot. No regrets.

Punch%20Chuck%20Norris.gif

kirblar

they recast myrcella,, cast trystane so I think there will be some kind of story to her and trystane. my best guess would be that trystane falls in love with myrcella but will be forced to marry dany as soon as she lands.

as for mereen, I guess the sons of the harpy plot must be enough for one season and after daznaks pit she gets the hell out of there.

btw. didnt we have all episode titles by this time in the past? I'm wondering if the pit will be 8, 9 or 10
If Trystane is the Aegon replacement, I think he ends up w/ Sansa.

I think an Trystane who isn't Aegon but who does pretty much everything Aegon does fits a little bit better, just because it's a bit less backstory to explain. It would just be that Doran was a co-conspirator with Varys and Illyrio (I think it was intentional that Varys mentioned multiple colleagues last episode) and once they got word that Viserys and Drogo were dead, the plan shifted away from them and towards Dany, who they planned to tie down with a marriage to Trystane. When Trystane finds out he's going to marry Dany when she arrives, he decides he should start conquering now to impress her when she gets here, and attacks Storm's End, just like Aegon. He basically becomes a weird fusion of Aegon, Quentyn, and Arianne all in one.

Regarding Aegon, Euron/Victarion, Lady Stoneheart, and any of the Oldtown business -

The best way to understand these characters and subplots (and how they will or won't be handled in the adaptation) is in terms of 'jobs to be done.' And since we've only got the beginning for all of those arcs, that's REALLY difficult for anyone in a bookreader's position to guess at right now. For example, it's possible that the entire purpose of Aegon is to provide a possible marriage candidate for the Three Queens to fight over while also offing (?) Loras. It's possible that the entire purpose for Lady Stoneheart is to kill Jaime. But none of these things have happened yet, and it's totally possible for something wildly different to perform those same functions within the story without really resembling the existing thing at all (e.g. whatever 'jobs' Mance Rayder was going to perform for the story will now likely be done by someone else).

I don't think it's necessarily correct to assume that any character's going to come along who is a close analogue to fAegon, basically, or it's possible that fAegon is just gonna be held for Season 6, or they've still kept him a secret somehow. Who knows.

Speevy

Banned
Agreed on the unreliability of IMDB, but checking it just now after reading his post
I think he overstated the Stannis appearances. He's listed for 8. Episodes 6 and 8 are the only ones he's not on. That seems much more realistic. Nothing to confirm that or anything, but it fits with what we know. Also, on the Yara bit he mentioned, she's actually listed in 3 episodes, 7, 9, and 10, which would fit with the idea of a very brief Yara plot that ends up connecting her with Stannis towards the end of the season.
e.

IMDB spoilers, do not read if you don't want some really likely stuff spoiled for you

I'll bet what happens is that Stannis sails south with his men, like Salador, and meets up with a band of sea-farers...which turn out to be the Greyjoy band that Yara was leading into the Dreadfort. They capture Stannis and either completely change the author of the pink letter, or Ramsay finds out about it, and stages a ruse to demoralize Jon Snow from potentially allying with Stannis, whose fate will remain unknown until season 6.

Boom.

Partition

Banned
Even though they wasted Mance, I'm still glad he isn't coming back alive / switched. I thought that was kinda tacky and it wouldn't go over well in the show-verse.

Speevy

Banned
Shireen is a princess of pure joy and perfection. They can't let anything happen to her. She has no political ambitions. She's just so nice to everyone.

IMDB spoilers, do not read if you don't want some really likely stuff spoiled for you

I'll bet what happens is that Stannis sails south with his men, like Salador, and meets up with a band of sea-farers...which turn out to be the Greyjoy band that Yara was leading into the Dreadfort. They capture Stannis and either completely change the author of the pink letter, or Ramsay finds out about it, and stages a ruse to demoralize Jon Snow from potentially allying with Stannis, whose fate will remain unknown until season 6.

Boom.
Wat
Even though they wasted Mance, I'm still glad he isn't coming back alive / switched. I thought that was kinda tacky and it wouldn't go over well in the show-verse.
Yeah, it's a shame that Mance was a wasted opportunity and a waste of a great actor, but I think it's probably the right decision to not do the switch at this point.

RedShift

Shireen is a princess of pure joy and perfection. They can't let anything happen to her. She has no political ambitions. She's just so nice to everyone.

I know it's foolish to hope for such things (especially all those hints last season about Mel killing her), but I really think Shireen will sit the throne at the end of it all.

Iksenpets

Banned

Boom.

It's really pretty much the only way it can happen at this point!

NeoGiff

I loved this in 501, Shireen closing her eyes while Selyse has that stupid grin on her face:

cZ30Xv7.png

a98Ue7J.gif

Boom.

I'll take that bet.

Boom.

Jigorath

Banned

Boom.

Nah.

I still think Stannis sends the letter to get Jon to ride out to Winterfell. Selyse is crying in the trailer because she thinks Stannis is dead. When Jon dies shortly after Mel will try to sacrifice Shireen to bring back Jon. She'll convince Selyse to kill her daughter under the guise of bringing back Stannis. Stannis will win the North but he'll lose Shireen as a result and then he'll kill himself.

Or something like that.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, reducing the number of fake-deaths is a good thing.

It's weird though. They had Beric Dondarrion do it and then you thought "Well, now everyone is coming back." and then they just slammed the door on the whole concept.

Maybe fan feedback?

Speevy

Banned
Nah.

I still think Stannis sends the letter to get Jon to ride out to Winterfell. Selyse is crying in the trailer because she thinks Stannis is dead. When Jon dies shortly after Mel will try to sacrifice Shireen to bring back Jon. She'll convince Selyse to kill her daughter under the guise of bringing back Stannis. Stannis will win the North but he'll lose Shireen as a result and then he'll kill himself.

Or something like that.

Random, silly speculation spoiler

Mannises don't suicide. Too stubborn to suicide. All that other stuff sounds plausible, though again, I love Shireen so much.

kirblar

It's weird though. They had Beric Dondarrion do it and then you thought "Well, now everyone is coming back." and then they just slammed the door on the whole concept.

Maybe fan feedback?
Beric's stuff with Arya was a really clear set-up for LSH. Was very weird to have it and then not follow up.

Partition

Banned
Yeah, reducing the number of fake-deaths is a good thing.

If Stoneheart and switch-Mance were in, it would completely take away from Jon's death. Arguably also the reason they (probably) aren't doing Aegon, because the show doesn't need more secret targs.

Beric's stuff with Arya was a really clear set-up for LSH. Was very weird to have it and then not follow up.

I think at the time they weren't sure if they were going to do LSH, but in any case it's still a set up to introduce Jon coming back to life.

NeoGiff

Have the synopses past episode three been discredited as fake?

I'm not sure about IMDb, but the ones on Watchers are correct. That also goes for the three that were taken down (and never put back up), the only inaccuracy was Cogman's writing credit.

EDIT: Just checked IMDb. If it's the Stannis reference you mean, then yes, it's accurate.

I'm not sure about IMDb, but the ones on Watchers are correct. That also goes for the three that were taken down (and never put back up), the only inaccuracy was Cogman's writing credit.

EDIT: Just checked IMDb. If it's the Stannis reference you mean, then yes, it's accurate.
Ah okay, didn't know that. Thanks

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I realize Emilia Clarke doesn't want to do nudity anymore, but she should at least engage in some love scenes. There's like zero passion with Daario that you get from the books (partly because he's just a dull looking bore on the show) but showing these pre and post sex scenes makes everything fall flat and makes me question why they're even together.

I think part of this is also due to the recast. The Dany/Daario romance was never presented well on the show, but I think Emilia Clarke at least had a semblance of chemistry with Ed Skrein - she has none whatsoever with Michiel Huisman, who might as well be playing a new character. I don't even think they need more love scenes, necessarily, just more (talking) scenes together.

I really don't think the show is going to have a Pink Letter you guys. Just like I don't expect it to have some kind of "is he or isn't he dead" bit about Davos.

Iksenpets

Banned
I really don't think the show is going to have a Pink Letter you guys. Just like I don't expect it to have some kind of "is he or isn't he dead" bit about Davos.

I think they're cutting everything else to sort of build capital for the Pink Letter, making sure no show viewer has reason to doubt them when they pull that. The Pink Letter is an actual earned twist, that gets cheapened by all the stupid twists that came before it. By dropping all of those, they can hopefully increase its impact.

I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I am really not a fan of all this uncertainty around the show now. I read the books! I should know everything! God damn you, GRRM, I'm terrified for the Mannis now.

I think they're cutting everything else to sort of build capital for the Pink Letter, making sure no show viewer has reason to doubt them when they pull that. The Pink Letter is an actual earned twist, that gets cheapened by all the stupid twists that came before it. By dropping all of those, they can hopefully increase its impact.

Eh. Again, I think that it's something we really don't know the upshot of so we can't say how important it is.

Most of the stuff that relied really heavily on the single-character-perspective literary device in the books for suspense has rightfully been jettisoned by a TV show that can't reproduce that same literary device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom