• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. LSH could have translated into an amazing TV moment.
This is what I was thinking when reading the books. I never for one second expected that they would cut the single solitary instance of a Stark exacting revenge we've had from the show, as tainted as that revenge is. It's the thing that non book readers have been clamouring for since Ned lost his head, and they don't even know they're missing it.

Gila

D&D always tried to go for maximum shock value, be it unnecessary deaths or nudity, I was just surprised that they didn't capitalize on LSH.

Yeah I agree, I literally turned back the page and re-read paragraphs prior to see if I was reading correctly

It would turn heads on the show too

Ratrat

That's 100% got to be in at some point, if they changed it to Jon personally shooting Mance no way they won't have him executing Slynt. I expect them to slightly change that line though much to the communities anguish.

If/when they do it they need to use that Greyjoy theme again as well, made Theon & Robb's execution scenes amazing.
Anguish? It's a Fuck Yes! scene in line with 'Dracaris' or Crown of Gold.

Partition

Banned
This is what I was thinking when reading the books. I never for one second expected that they would cut the single solitary instance of a Stark exacting revenge we've had from the show, as tainted as that revenge is. It's the thing that non book readers have been clamouring for since Ned lost his head, and they don't even know they're missing it.

The Starks will get their revenge in the end, not necessarily by killing people - but by being the winners and key players in the end game. Arya will probably kill all the people on her list, including some Lannisters, Sansa will end up being queen (imo), Jon will destroy the others, Bran will warg into a dragon or something cool, and Rickon will come back and rebuild Winterfell.

To me that's just as satisfying as the killer zombie plot.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm missing it. I was enjoying it in the books. More than anything to do with Mereen at least. And the Queenmaker plot. I'm actually really interested to see where it's going.

Admittedly Dani has the world's most boring subplot in the show right now, but you have to give her at least something to do. LSH doesn't really develop any major characters and not using it also means that later death escapes like John's warg feel more meaningful because the show hasn't played the not really dead card as much.

Admittedly Dani has the world's most boring subplot in the show right now, but you have to give her at least something to do. LSH doesn't really develop any major characters and not using it also means that later death escapes like John's warg feel more meaningful because the show hasn't played the not really dead card as much.
I bet that D&D wont count on show watchers remembering anything about Berric. When Jon's death/ressurection comes around, they'll hammer it home by showing the scene where Melissandre randomly dropped in on the Brotherhood to say "Oh so we can resurrect people eh? I didn't realise we could do that. That's interesting.." on the 'previously on...' clips.

I was kind of hoping we'd see some kind of reconciliation between zombie Cat and zombie Jon before the end, something really bittersweet. I still kind of hope something like that happens in the books.

Marz

The Starks will get their revenge in the end, not necessarily by killing people - but by being the winners and key players in the end game. Arya will probably kill all the people on her list, including some Lannisters, Sansa will end up being queen (imo), Jon will destroy the others, Bran will warg into a dragon or something cool, and Rickon will come back and rebuild Winterfell.

This is game of thrones fool. All those guys are gonna die.

NeoGiff

No. See, the actual line has to be similar to the original, but a lot more dumbed down so those silly old show watchers can understand.

"Edd, my friend who is dolorous meaning sorrowful and who also isn't Sam, Grenn or Pyp, please fetch me a block of wood. I'm going to make Janos Slynt who was formerly the Lord Commander of the King's Landing City Watch, and now a pain in my arse, kneel down and place his head on it. You see, I'm going to execute him with my sword, and then look towards His Grace The Mannis in the hope that he gives his solemn seal of approval with a slight twitch of his head so the fans will shut up and care about my storyline again."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
No. See, the actual line has to be similar to the original, but a lot more dumbed down so those silly old show watchers can understand.

"Edd, my friend who is dolorous meaning sorrowful and who also isn't Sam, Grenn or Pyp, please fetch me a block of wood. I'm going to make Janos Slynt who was formerly the Lord Commander of the King's Landing City Watch, and now a pain in my arse, kneel down and place his head on it. You see, I'm going to execute him with my sword, and then look towards His Grace The Mannis in the hope that he gives his solemn seal of approval with a slight twitch of his head so the fans will shut up and care about my storyline again."
No explanation of how he got his Valyrian sword from the late Lord Commander Mormont? That sucks. :(

Iksenpets

Banned
No explanation of how he got his Valyrian sword from the late Lord Commander Mormont? That sucks. :(

The late Lord Commander, whose own son so disappointed him that he was disinherited of the sword, and is at the very moment probably a miserable wreck of a man in some foreign brothel, plotting out some baffling scheme about how he's going to make it back on top by kidnapping a dwarf to give as a present to a woman who justifiably spurned him. I mean, that's my hunch, anyway. Not sure why, just feels like what would probably happen to him. Anyway, back to the part about the chopping, which I shall perform with a downward motion of the arms...

hydruxo

I wouldn't be so sure of that. This is Game of Thrones after all.

Kain

Stannis will kill him. "Jon, fetch me Melisandre."

I loled way to hard at this xD

The Starks will get their revenge, but it will be bittersweet: Arya / Jon will unwillingly kill each other, Sansa will reign alone or something and Bran will sacrifice himself too (maybe he will enter a wolf and stay there forever watching over something?).

Rickon is good, though, he will be the biggest motherfucker Westeros has ever seen. But that will obviously be explained in the last page of ADOS appendixes along with finally acknowledging that Varys is a merman and everything he has done is for the sake of his people, who will invade the world and win this thing.

I was kind of hoping we'd see some kind of reconciliation between zombie Cat and zombie Jon before the end, something really bittersweet. I still kind of hope something like that happens in the books.

I wouldn't count on that considering the way Thoros seems to think the brotherhood has gone sideways. I'm counting on zombie cat to do the same thing as living cat: bumble from one mistake to the next and hose everyone around her.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm genuinely afraid they could be the show's "jump the shark" moment. And this is while Yara's doggy fear is a thing that exists.

Yeah, they're definitely worrying. We don't really know anything about any of their acting talents, and the female Dornish costume design has been a bit weak, especially compared to how great their designs have been for the men. But my understanding from reviews is that even people who got the screeners have only really seen a scene or two of them, so I don't think anyone knows enough to say for sure. And even if they're bad, I don't think they really become a jump the shark moment unless they're really really bad. I mean, the show survived the SciFi Original Series of Dany in Qarth, so I think it can survive this ok. I do hope they maybe redo the costumes or something when they go to KL next season.

Also, isn't the woman playing Nym literally a Star Wars extra?

And man, my friend who hasn't read was asking me the other day if Yara was ever coming back, and I had to tell him I didn't know because she's so far off the books, and got to explaining to him how cool she's supposed to be in the books, and it depressed me all over again. Also, he brought up how creepy her intro in season 2 was, and it made me realize that for all the hate we give the dogs, that scene was fucked up nearly as badly. 100% less funny and 100% more gross and creepy.

Yeah, they're definitely worrying. We don't really know anything about any of their acting talents, and the female Dornish costume design has been a bit weak, especially compared to how great their designs have been for the men. But my understanding from reviews is that even people who got the screeners have only really seen a scene or two of them, so I don't think anyone knows enough to say for sure. And even if they're bad, I don't think they really become a jump the shark moment unless they're really really bad. I mean, the show survived the SciFi Original Series of Dany in Qarth, so I think it can survive this ok. I do hope they maybe redo the costumes or something when they go to KL next season.

Also, isn't the woman playing Nym literally a Star Wars extra?

And man, my friend who hasn't read was asking me the other day if Yara was ever coming back, and I had to tell him I didn't know because she's so far off the books, and got to explaining to him how cool she's supposed to be in the books, and it depressed me all over again. Also, he brought up how creepy her intro in season 2 was, and it made me realize that for all the hate we give the dogs, that scene was fucked up nearly as badly. 100% less funny and 100% more gross and creepy.

Well, Keisha Castle-Hughes was nominated for a leading actress Oscar. :p

I don't think it's going to be a big deal personally, just because I'd be surprised if they really played a major role. One of the advantages of show having a billion characters and plot lines is when one of them isn't a home run, it's far from the end of the world.

RyanDG

I loled way to hard at this xD

The Starks will get their revenge, but it will be bittersweet: Arya / Jon will unwillingly kill each other, Sansa will reign alone or something and Bran will sacrifice himself too (maybe he will enter a wolf and stay there forever watching over something?).

Rickon is good, though, he will be the biggest motherfucker Westeros has ever seen. But that will obviously be explained in the last page of ADOS appendixes along with finally acknowledging that Varys is a merman and everything he has done is for the sake of his people, who will invade the world and win this thing.

There really does need to be a 20 year time jump in the last 50 pages of ADOS that then deals with Rickon leading a band of cannibal northmen descending on the rest of Westeros like a plague.

Iksenpets

Banned
Well, Keisha Castle-Hughes was nominated for a leading actress Oscar. :p

I don't think it's going to be a big deal personally, just because I'd be surprised if they really played a major role. One of the advantages of show having a billion characters and plot lines is when one of them isn't a home run, it's far from the end of the world.

D'oh. Forgot about the Oscar nomination. My apologies to Ms. Hughes.

Jigorath

Banned

She'll probably show up at the end of the seasons, get captured by Stannis, and D&D will call it a day. Not much else they can do with her.

RedShift

tumblr_mn5af5Bqmu1qddfrco2_500.gif

tumblr_mn5af5Bqmu1qddfrco3_500.gif

God Tumblr gifs suck.

eot

Banned
Yeah, he was on screen for like 3 seconds. I hope they show him more this season but I kinda doubt it. They've been so downplayed the entire show.

cj_iwakura

With the cuts they've made it doesn't really matter. His life or death isn't particularly relevant to any of the ongoing plotlines in the show.

Well they explicitly called him out during the burning of the leeches, can always just have Drogon fly by and snatch him off the bridge.

Well they explicitly called him out during the burning of the leeches, can always just have Drogon fly by and snatch him off the bridge.

Yeah, but there's little point in showing that if it doesn't lead to anything. Showing a death scene would only make sense if they intended to follow up on it this season.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They'll kill him off eventually. It makes no difference at the moment. I wouldn't bet on this but it would not completely shock me if it were tied explicitly into Arya's Faceless Men arc. Not that she would be directly involved or anything, just that it were mentioned or shown.

New Episode Tonight: The House of Black and White

Arya arrives in Braavos. Pod and Brienne run into trouble on the road. Cersei fears for her daughter's safety in Dorne as Ellaria Sand seeks revenge for Oberyn's death. Stannis tempts Jon. An advisor tempts Dany.

pr0cs

That's 100% got to be in at some point, if they changed it to Jon personally shooting Mance no way they won't have him executing Slynt. I expect them to slightly change that line though much to the communities anguish.
Pretty sure in the book Jon kills mance or who they belive is mance

I admit, this was my first thought as well. I won't get too excited but...I'm sort of excited.

It gave me a glimmer of hope, but then I realised I was being ridiculous. I am curious what they're going to go with those two though, don't remember seeing much of them in the trailers!

-griffy-

Banned
Pod and Brienne run into trouble on the road.

It's happening?
Careful viewers of the trailers will know what this references.
Not happening, they are attacked by men from the Vale, presumably because they follow Littlefinger and Sansa's caravan that rode past last episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom