• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
The one good thing they did in the episode was not making Hizdahr the king harpy. That would have put extra cheese on the shit burger.

Brakke

Banned
I thought it was a good ep after all. Gave a good amount of time to the Shireen stuff, Stan for to reiterate what's been his thesis statement all along, Davos is still and always The One True King Of My Heart.

The Ramsay thing wasn't bad it was just sort of unnecessary. They could've accomplished what they wanted in exactly the same way by having a blizzard batter the camps for two days or something. Since we didn't have Ramsay slaughter a thousand men by hand I didn't really mind it. Just a device for raising stakes.

Dorne had some good zingers. Ellarianne talking to Jaime was kind of tender. Sand Snakes still doofuses.

Whole Pit segment handled well. Stabbing Hizdahr is interesting. Since we don't have any other Meereenese characters it's hard to know what to make of that. On the one hand that's cool because it makes the Harpy's threat very nebulous and inevitable, we don't have a thread to pull on there. I like that but it's kind of frustrating in Episode 9 because it means there's basically no chance we introduce the puppet master this season--or even if there is one.

In the season 10 preview, Dany's crew is sitting around like they're about to end Seinfeld.

Lol yeah that was great.

HawkeyeIC

Going to be some interesting reactions when Ramsey comes out just fine next episode (assuming) and Jon is dead. You can only punish viewers so much...

Shireen burning should have been the final scene for maximum impact. Dany going all Neverending Story seemed like a cop out because they were too afraid of ending on dead babies.

Brakke

Banned
Show Ramsay hasn't killed anyone related to him yet.

Wow. Show Ramsay is a more moral man than Stannis.

That's not how morality works. Tyrion less "moral" than Ramsay on this standard...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166836735]Shireen burning should have been the final scene for maximum impact. Dany going all Neverending Story seemed like a cop out because they were too afraid of ending on dead babies.[/QUOTE]

they already did the crying-tortured girl ending once this season and look how that turned out...

Joni

Well, seems like last week was an accident. Quite a disappointing season so far. Castle Black storylines are the only enjoyable ones for the moment.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
At some point Stannis has to wonder when the red lady says, "you know who REALLY has king's blood?"

And then Stannis burns himself at the stake while Arya watches nonchalantly in the middle of the town square while Danny and Jon trade inappropriate emotional reactions (differing between zero and a thousand). Then Lady Stoneheart is queen and the entire planet is revealed to just be a in a really weird solar system with highly elliptical / wobbly orbits

Winter is coming, more like axis tilting

Fin

Brakke

Banned
Man how the heck are we going to do the Winds of Winter thread? Assuming that God willing it comes out before Season Six (slim a chance as that is), I'll want to talk about show-things as soon as they happen in the book (like when Shireen gets burnt in the book).

I guess if we do the standard Mark Everything For Two Weeks I'll wait until the tagging embargo comes up? Otherwise it's going to be a nightmare of tagged spoilers, will be impossible to have any kind of consistent discussion.

Musolf815

Ramsay is truly the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to being an endless fountain of monstrous, perfectly executed evil deeds.

I remember Martin saying he wanted to top Walter White's evilness in Winds of Winter...maybe making Ramsay go full invincible villain + Joker is the way?

Man I thought it was beyond clear D/D said the Shireen death came straight from GRRM.

A story is not just a random collection of plot points, who, why, where, how, all plays into it.

I have no doubt Shireen dies at some point in the books, and I even think it will be by burning, but it won't happen this way. The way the show chose to do it was just bad writing.

hoos30

Even if I have to stand alone.....

#StillTeamStannis

Stannis sacrifices his daughter to save the whole world and you ungrateful rats abandon ship.

Dysun

A story is not just a random collection of plot points, who, why, where, how, all plays into it.

I have no doubt Shireen dies at some point in the books, and I even think it will be by burning, but it won't happen this way. The way the show chose to do it was just bad writing.

You're just rationalizing dude, Stannis is gonna burn her to clear up some snow D&D said so
/s

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
His Mannis card has been revoked.

I am really looking forward to Winds of Winter...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Bad writing how? Who said it was random? Which part wasn't clear, or emotive, or delivered well? Why do you think any of the above has anything to do with the obvious fact that D/D got this directly from GRRM? And should I assume that you think GRRM will handle it better? Why?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Burning Shireen doesn't seem to make much sense if you're looking for kings blood.... When you JUST burnt Mance Raydar, the king beyond the wall, like a week ago and got nothing for it magic power boost wise....

Man that was hard to watch.
But bravo on them for the high drama

Kusagari

The show has shown us that there is one battle we need to see above all others:

Ramsay and his 20 good men vs. The Harpies.

I don't think the world would ever be the same afterward.

Lakitu

st5fu
Fuck Stannis.

I somewhat liked his charisma and the lovely scene he had with Shireen earlier in the season.

But this is beyond the pale, he can go fuck himself or preferably get flayed by the (equally as bad) Ramsay Bolton.

After that, no fan of the show will be sympathetic for him.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Burning Shireen doesn't deem to make much sense if you're looking for kings blood.... When you JUST burnt Mance Raydar, the king beyond the wall, like a week ago and got nothing for it magic power boost wise....

And you forgot about Maester Aemon at the Wall. You know the guy with ACTUAL, ancient Valyrian king's blood.

Maybe it's because I'm watching it on a tiny YouTube screen, but I think the CG of Drogon is super impressive, on the par of most movies. Which studio does the CG for this show?

Speevy

Banned
They could have framed that all differently and still had the same result.

You see a fire in the final scene of the episode and hear screaming.

Shireen's doll is on the ground.

*credits*

Next episode, Stannis discovers what has happened to his daughter, orders Melisandre and Selyse seized when everyone noticed the snows almost instantaneously going away.

Melisandre says "Look, my king. The lord of light has accepted our offering."

Boom, same death, different context.

Brakke

Banned
Burning Shireen doesn't deem to make much sense if you're looking for kings blood.... When you JUST burnt Mance Raydar, the king beyond the wall, like a week ago and got nothing for it magic power boost wise....

Jon robbed them of Mance's blood magic. Or it'd be reasonable for Mel/Stan to think that, anyway.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The show has shown us that there is one battle we need to see above all others:

Ramsay and his 20 good men vs. The Harpies.

I don't think the world would ever be the same afterward.

While the Night's King watches from a distance.
night-s-king.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
They could have framed that all differently and still had the same result.

You see a fire in the final scene of the episode and hear screaming.

Shireen's doll is on the ground.

*credits*

Next episode, Stannis discovers what has happened to his daughter, orders Melisandre and Selyse seized when everyone noticed the snows almost instantaneously going away.

Melisandre says "Look, my king. The lord of light has accepted our offering."

Boom, same death, different context.

Yes but Stannis has to actively choose ambition over family.

(did nobody read the Sean Collins review yet??)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Burning Shireen doesn't deem to make much sense if you're looking for kings blood....

It does makes sense, it is the same setup as with Gendry.

It's also not beyonds Stannis character to do whatever he thinks is necessary to fulfill his duty. It actually fits very well.

But yearh the scene was really hard to watch. They could have at least muted the sound at the end. The screaming was really painful.

Das Ace

Going to be some interesting reactions when Ramsey comes out just fine next episode (assuming) and Jon is dead. You can only punish viewers so much...

I doubt they'll leave Jon where GRRM left him at the end of Dance. People are gonna spot Kit later in the year for filming :p

Speevy

Banned
The only way they can possibly screw up episode 10 is by having Sansa kill herself or something. Otherwise they've pretty much screwed up as much as they possibly can.

Tiktaalik

Not really sure why people are upset that Trant is portrayed as a pedophile. This is probably going to make use of some of the content from the Mercy chapter of Winds of Winter, but using a character we all know instead of some random new person. The show has done this before many times.

Shireen burning is absolutely shocking, and I'm hanging up my Stannis team jacket. As awful as it was, with an event this significant I can't see how or why this isn't how GRRM is planning it. Folks are too eager to blame D&D for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom