• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsmith

I love how all the people throwing spears with enough strength and accuracy to pierce a dragon's hide miss the opportunity to just throw them at Dany instead. Its on the same level as reducing the Unsullied to Paul Blarts with spears.

Not on the same level as 20 "good" men taking down an entire supply chain or assassinating the character of my favorite character ;_;

I cant really say that, since we dont know what the books will bring and D&D do know the ending (assuming the main points leading to the ending as well). What bothers me is the journey there and how its presented. But who knows? Will continue watching.

I'm with you, the journey has been a bit rough this season but it's easy to be critical about a world I love.

Arkeband

Banned
Do they touch up CGI for the blu-ray releases, like how anime movies like Evangelion get rehauled from their theatrical releases to home video?

LordCanti

I love how all the people throwing spears with enough strength and accuracy to pierce a dragon's hide miss the opportunity to just throw them at Dany instead. Its on the same level as reducing the Unsullied to Paul Blarts with spears.

Not on the same level as 20 "good" men taking down a supply chain or assassinating the character of my favorite character ;_;

If we're going to that level you've got to ask why they didn't just bum rush her all at once in the first place. The attack started with them shanking randos in the crowd when they could have been pouncing on her.

Assuming Stannis does actually burn Shireen personally in the books (that's a way you can interpret D&D's statement but they don't even get character's names right so who knows), I wonder who the PoV would be.

Pretty sure it's gonna be:

+Mel heard about the letter and finally makes sense of her "Why do I keep seeing Jon when I ask to see AA" problem
+Mel's like "Well fuck Stannis then that sucks."
+Mel realizes that even though Stannis wasn't really AA, he was really a king
+Shireen burns

Yeah, this is what I can see happening. Which wouldn't really leave Stannis at fault here. Would that mean that Mel is just going to abandon Stannis and his crusade? Wonder where Stannis's plot goes from there.

Arkeband

Banned
If we're going to that level you've got to ask why they didn't just bum rush her all at once in the first place. The attack started with them shanking randos in the crowd when they could have been pouncing on her.

It ended with a crowd of like 60 of them surrounding their puny group and running in one at a time like the Power Rangers Putty Squad.

Gnome

If the show has taught me one thing, it's that Unsullied ain't shit and Son's of the Harpy clean house whenever they're on screen.

We knew Shireen is getting burned in the books, I am 99% sure though it will be Mel/Selyse doing it in the books vs. Stannis

The way he talks about it when he says "its so horrible but so good in a story sense because it all comes together" than he goes on to talking about Stannis and Melisandre burning people. It really does sound like GRRM told them that both Stannis and Melisandre have to do with the burning.

Iksenpets

Banned
Assuming Stannis does actually burn Shireen personally in the books (that's a way you can interpret D&D's statement but they don't even get character's names right so who knows), I wonder who the PoV would be.

I think either way it would have to be Mel. Either she burns her herself at Castle Black, or she somehow takes Shireen and delivers her through the snow to Stannis, just so he can do it personally. I really think the first is more likely.

People have been comparing it to Agamemnon/Clytemnestra, but I always saw it in the books as a reverse of that situation. Rather than a father sacrificing a daughter for good fortune in battle, only to be murderered by his wife in revenge, we have a wife who sacrifices her daughter while her husband is away at battle, hoping it will help him, and the husband executing her on his return. That is what I expect the book plot to be until I see otherwise.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm going to now throw out a string of "minor" annoyances that bugged me this episode, they aren't deal breakers but each one made me cringe:

-"Incest is cool in Dorne." WTF?
-Mycella threat was not a Cercei plot.
-I'd add sending Trystane to KL but we don't know Doran's plan so I'll let it slide for now.
-Arya lack of subterfuge.
-Meryn Trant is a pedophile. After all why else would Arya want to kill him? We've got to make it super justified.
-Face Tyrell, he's a damn joke at this point.
-Stannis has no idea what the Dance of the Dragons was, he's just a high-born lord who never paid attention during history lesson. Yes, I get we need to explain it to the audience that doesn't excuse turning Stannis into an idiot for a moment. You could have had it explained to Flea Bottom raised Davos, although even he probably knows the gist of it.
-Harpy optical camouflage.
-Harpy accuracy and combat prowess.
-Harpies storming the Pit in general, wasn't the Hizdahr marriage and opening of the Pits supposed to stop this?
-Unsullied weaklings.
-Dany just abandoning everyone like Tyrion and Missandei as the fighting initially broke out.

And that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

someday

Banned
She should have yelled "I'll always think of you as a frriiiieennndddddd" as she flew away.

This got me.

Yeah, this episode was something else. My biggest problem with Shireen being burned is that it was caused by Ramsey's actions, and we never see him doing any of it. It does help me dislike Stannis again though so all wasn't lost I guess.

One thing I don't get though is why didn't Arya kill the Thin Man when she was there? I know she saw Trant but it would have taken a minute or two to take out the Thin Man. He was already calling for her for his damned oysters.

When Drogon showed up all I was thinking was I hoped he burned every fucker in there. Seriously, burn them all, obviously except for Missandei and Tyrion.

The way he talks about it when he says "its so horrible but so good in a story sense because it all comes together" than he goes on to talking about Stannis and Melisandre burning people. It really does sound like GRRM told them that both Stannis and Melisandre have to do with the burning.

In that case D&D sort of redeemed. But I just don't see it happening that way, Stannis is no where near the damn wall.

Or they are just talking about the show version which they often do in these things and and it has nothing to do with what GRRM told them about the books.

Eidan

In that case D&D sort of redeemed. But I just don't see it happening that way, Stannis is no where near the damn wall.

Send word by raven, who knows. As I said earlier, I have a hard time believing that Melisandre would burn Shireen without some form of approval from Stannis. I also have a hard time believing that, when Martin told the showrunners about this, he wouldn't explain whether Stannis approved the action or not.

I can see that most of the CGI money went to the Hardhorne episode after witnessing the ending of Ep. 9. :p

But seriously, Stannis....

pTIn0vn.gif

phaonaut

Were the horses killed by fire or taken?

If killed, how do they not have enough food? He must have had hundreds of horses, thats tens of thousands of pounds of meat.

Edit: Also its winter so they could keep it fresh as long as they liked.

And they've completed the assassination of Stannis's character compared to the books. Wasn't really much of a surprise since they nonsensically brought characters with Stannis that didn't need to be there.

I'm mostly okay with Daenerys changes but I'm disappointed they didn't have Dany get scalded/blistered by the heat from Drogon so show watchers are going to still going to think she's immune to heat/fire. =\

Speevy

Banned
"Winter is temporarily delayed because I set my only daughter on fire. This doesn't really solve the problem of having no food though but our men are energized, so let's kick some ass. Woohoo snow's melting."

Judderman

drawer by drawer

If killed, how do they not have enough food? He must have had hundreds of horses, thats tens of thousands of pounds of meat.

20 Good Men took care of those too.

Speevy

Banned

According to Roose, Stannis had 3,000 horses or thereabout.

"Winter is temporarily delayed because I set my only daughter on fire. This doesn't really solve the problem of having no food though but our men are energized, so let's kick some ass. Woohoo snow's melting."
The Red God is going to send a bunch of rabbits their way.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I didn't expect to see that dragon scene this season, but I guess they're trying to get done with most all of book five.

Next season will be 90% new material, I imagine.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know what the worst part about all this is? If Stannis doesn't personally sacrifice Shireen in the books then the general public will believe that the show's interpretation of Stannis is the correct one, the one in which he burns his own child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom