• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
"There will be no burnings. Pray harder."

You remember that part at least (and not every other scene afterward which laid the groundwork for the decision)

Look man I agree it was depraved and shocking. It was upsetting as anything I've ever witnessed on TV. But the whole bad writing thing is just such lazy criticism. Not arguing it further with you.

rando14

Ugh, Olly stabbing Jon is gonna be so corny, already rolling my eyes just thinking about it -_-

At least maybe let Alliser do it, that'd be interesting hehehe

-The pink letter
-Balon Greyjoy's death/Yara's appearance
-Jaime returning home to reconnect with his sister
-The fate of Loras hangs in the balance.
-The Martells have to do whatever it is the Martells will do, along with Myrcella and Trystane.
-The aftermath with Dany searching for a new army.

How the hell do you fit all that into 60 minutes?

These probably won't be in, well I suppose the pink letter could be in, but that's not time consuming. Even in the books that happens quickly, too quickly even. As for the rest: cliffhangerz.

Sam still has to make it to the citadel too
Well he might leave Castle Black this episode.

mantidor

I kinda hate Sansa after re-watching a bit of GOT.

She was a total dick to Tyrion who was nothing but a saint to her. The nicest thing she ever did for him was pick up a wine cup. But the whole "woe is me, I have to marry the nicest guy but I'm a vain, superficial, intolerant, and stupid. Dwarfs are icky" completely flipped me on her.

She was also a total dick to Arya and Ned. She has been a superficial *negative adjective here that is more commonly said in the UK* for the entire show.

I hope she dies. Only Stark I dislike.

When was she a dick to Tyrion? because she didn't want to sleep with him? Seriously?

kirblar

Here's a list of things that are supposed to happen in episode 10.

-The beginning or entire siege of Winterfell
-Jon's stabbing by his own men
-The pink letter - Not happening
-Jaime returning home to reconnect with his sister - Dorne is done.
-Sansa attempting to escape or dying in the attempt.
-Brienne attempting to rescue Sansa, kill Stannis, or both.
-The Boltons dying or making plans to defend Winterfell.
-Cersei's walk of shame.
-Margaery gets released and reunited with Tommen.
-Arya has to kill Meryn Trant for Syrio and for being a pedo, and continue her deception toward the HBW.

-The Martells have to do whatever it is the Martells will do, along with Myrcella and Trystane.-Again, done for the season
-The aftermath with Tyrion, Jorah, and Daario.

It's less, although I think Arya has even more content than you think.

Das Ace

-Cersei's walk of shame.

-Arya has to kill Meryn Trant for Syrio and for being a pedo, and continue her deception toward the HBW.

-The Martells have to do whatever it is the Martells will do, along with Myrcella and Trystane.

Because it will really only be these ones (if that), and half of them happen at Winterfell.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

-The pink letter
-Jaime returning home to reconnect with his sister
-Cersei's walk of shame.
-Margaery gets released and reunited with Tommen.

*opening schene* aaaaaaaaaaaaaah stab stab cut run cut body falls into camera transition to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh guy on fire in some other place with jon stabbing tight closeup to john's face aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh camera pans up sky changes color camera looks down to see sansa looking through her window doing sansa things, brienne suddenly bursts through the door aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh...

it could be their birdman episode.

Pkaz01

Have a feeling Arya doesn't kill Meryn next episode, sticks to the plan as no one and then next season after the acting school Meryn and Tyrell are about to head back and Arya kills Meryn as her last chance

There's at least one more scene they filmed with a ~secret character~ that we haven't seen.

I was hoping that would be this episode but now if it's 10 we won't see him back in KL to kill Kevan. Even a jetpack can't let you travel that fast.

There was a Bloodrider / Screamer / Whatever in the pit this ep.

But yeah I agree bringing in a Khalasar is kind of weird at this point.

They've always been an hour?

Dany surrounded by strangers sounds like Dothraki to me. What else could it be?

VARIA

What I got from this episode is that Targaryans are not insane, they're feral. Daenerys will establish a form of justice and rule, just not one that is aligned with what the iron throne has grown accustomed to. She will be the joker (wild card) , not the queen. From what I've seen/read, no "ruler" will win at the end.

Speevy

Banned
It occurs to me that the showrunners think foreshadowing is the same thing as character-building.

They did foreshadow the hell out of Shireen getting burned alive as far back as season 3, last season, and this one.

They just didn't bring Stannis to the conclusion naturally.

ffg_poisoned-well-tbg.jpg

Called it!

Tabris

When was she a dick to Tyrion? because she didn't want to sleep with him? Seriously?

because she was being a teenage girl?

excuse me?

Are you serious? She's a teenager (pre-teen in the books) forced into a marriage with a guy from the family who is responsible for most of her own family being killed. What the hell is superficial, intolerant, stupid, or vain about hating that situation and not being all friendly and happy about being forced into it?

The way she acted towards Tyrion in the "Eww, you're gross" way is what made me dislike her. It was outright intolerance towards dwarfs.

It occurs to me that the showrunners think foreshadowing is the same thing as character-building.

They did foreshadow the hell out of Shireen getting burned alive as far back as season 3, last season, and this one.

They just didn't bring Stannis to the conclusion naturally.

Exactly, having character A predict that character B will uncharacteristically do something. And having B resist the idea but suddenly for contrived reasons suddenly change his mind and go through with the prediction is not good writing.

You have to bring B to that position believably, through events that occur believably.

Brakke

Banned
remember when Dany grabbed Jorah's stone-hand this ep 😁

Dany just getting greyscale and croaking would be so, so funny.

Speevy

Banned
The knights of the Vale are trained to fight in the ice and snow. I don't know how one trains to do that, but Littlefinger says they are.

Northerners are skilled in the art of remote tent burning. They just ride by and tents just burst into flames.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
The knights of the Vale are trained to fight in the ice and snow. I don't know how one trains to do that, but Littlefinger says they are.

Northerners are skilled in the art of remote tent burning. They just ride by and tents just burst into flames.

They just popped immolation aura and stealth and ran around in there. They're Warlock-Rogue hybrids that serve the one true king.

The way she acted towards Tyrion in the "Eww, you're gross" way is what made me dislike her. It was outright intolerance towards dwarfs.

She should have just happily spread her legs for that ugly dwarf whose family imprisoned her and killed a bunch of her relatives.

hoos30

D&D just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase season 6 for either system, nor will they purchase any of D&D's series. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but D&D have alienated an entire market with this move.

D&D, publicly apologize and cancel S6 for TV or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Go to sleep, man.

A_Gorilla

Banned
So wait, has Aegon been completely cut from the show or are the saving him for next season? I've heard next to nothing regarding him.

Kuroyume

Banned
Where are all the Stannis fanboys now?

FUCK HIM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK HIM

Good things:

- Really cool shot of the horse burning in the intro although I find it fucking hard to believe Ramsay was able to get in there. I know that's his specialty but that's pushing it.

- Loved the return to the wall scene. Ser Allister isn't so one note in the series. Seems to get Jon somewhat.

- Loved the Davos and Shireen intereaction. Same with her talk with Stannis and the execution. Although I totally fucking disagree with her dying.

- Really enjoyed the fighting pit stuff mainly because of Drogon.

Bad things:

- Killing Shireen. Fucking heartless. Just fuck off.

- Dorne. Who cares?

- The Arya stuff. I don't care for it at all. And I dug the Cat stuff in the books so I don't get why I'm not enjoying it so much on the show. Looks kind of cheap and Arya's acting has gotten pretty bad.

- Where the fuck are the Unsullied? Bunch of fucking no show jobbers. I read those books thinking they were bad asses. They look like shit on the show. And fuck, could have really used Belwas or Barristan in that scene, D&D you stupid fucks!

- The flying at the end just looked horrible.

Clipjoint

I wouldn't be surprised if Mellisandre ends up burning Shireen to bring back Jon. That would fulfill the "stone" part of the AA prophecy, and it would make sense that George told D&D that Shireen was going to be burned at The Wall in Book 6.

can't fuck with stannis after they make him burn shireen in this show. god damn.

also wow at daenerys riding the dragon, that was a lot cornier than i thought it would be. all the close-up shots of her flying on him were hilarious.

anyways after watching black sails (show went to god-tier mode with season 2) i can only accept this as euron:
flintsquintyeyes.jpg

make it happen HBO.

Zocano

I thought the episode was really shlocky and all over the place but I'm legit surprised that people are miffed over Shireen's burning. I thought it was a bit sudden but I didn't feel like it was out of character. Melisandre has been pressuring Stannis to sacrifice her for 2+ seasons already and there has been a ton of build up to it. My main issue is that I felt the catalyst for his pivot wasn't earned enough. A lot of it had to do with the pace of the show (which is very clearly been sloppy and rushed since the first season) and it didn't feel like Stannis was backed into a corner enough to do so. But by no means did I think it was a character suicide on his part. This is of course exclusive to the show and what the show has presented us. It is a *very* different story in the books.

can't fuck with stannis after they make him burn shireen in this show. god damn.

also wow at daenerys riding the dragon, that was a lot cornier than i thought it would be. all the close-up shots of her flying on him were hilarious.

her acting through the whole pit scene was ridiculous
*jorah gets hit*
*stares*
*jorah gets hit again*
*stares again the same way*
*drogon flies in*
*stares*
*drogon is attacked*
*stares*

All these shots of her were pretty bad

Status
Not open for further replies.