• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogimachi

I've read all the books. I fully believe Melisandre could persuade Stannis to do this.
Not my point, as much as I disagree.

You said "This is a man who murdered his own brother without batting an eyelash", which is factually incorrect, as anyone who has read the book should know.

cj_iwakura

Not my point, as much as I disagree.

You said "This is a man who murdered his own brother without batting an eyelash", which is factually incorrect, as anyone who has read the book should know.

He still went through with it, and has shown no remorse. Somehow I doubt this will be any different.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Fuck you Stannis. Can't wait for your pathetic dead. Killed his brother and daughter and still won't be King.... Trash.

Didn't she spend the last half of ADWD shitting all over Essos? I don't think they're resistant to disease. That would be funny though if Jorah gave her Grey Scale. That Jorah.

Well, considering that plague doesn't exist in the show and they've been talking about greyscale nonstop, that might take it's place.

Vyer

Maybe I need a reread, but I've never liked book Stannis and the way Mel has him twisted this sacrifice seems pretty in character.

TV Stannis may be a little more surprising, but I feel like that's only because he's had a few more 'wins' in the last season. Since his introduction the show laid on pretty thick how desperate he is and how willing he is to follow Mel's advice. It was pretty clear during his clashes with Davos over the Gendry stuff.

Aw, man.

Fuck this show's reliance on "bad things happen to good people, get it? Aaahhh." And if the books pull this same shit, fuck those, too. I was already close to my breaking point after 2000 pages of GRRM's aimless-ass wheel spinning.

They were using optical camo, obviously.

mgs.261.png

It's just like one of my western HBO shows...

*approving nod*

foxtrot3d

Banned
Obviously the food stuff is really stupid. But if you don't think Stannis, the guy with the iron will and sense of duty who believes he is the only thing standing between Westeros and the Others would not kill his daughter to save his cause, you've been picturing the wrong Stannis.

Like I said, everything Stannis has done this season has been really stupid, but that's the first in-character thing he's done this whole time.

Ehhh, Stannis isn't some "ends justify the means" type guy. He has an iron sense of justice, it's his own person view of justice, but it's one he adheres to. Somehow I don't see Melisandre convincing him to burn his daughter. It will be done behind his back or after his death in the books.

Aw, man.

Fuck this show's reliance on "bad things happen to good people, get it? Aaahhh." And if the books pull this same shit, fuck those, too. I was already close to my breaking point after 2000 pages of GRRM's aimless-ass wheel spinning.

*approving nod*
Aimless wheel spinning? You need a whole book to bring Dany form a caring mother figure bent on freeing slaves to the kind of person that sets fire to an entire continent because it's her birthright.

Ehhh, Stannis isn't some "ends justify the means" type guy. He has an iron sense of justice, it's his own person view of justice, but it's one he adheres to. Somehow I don't see Melisandre convincing him to burn his daughter. It will be done behind his back or after his death in the books.
Oh, I agree! It's definitely gonna be Mel in the books. I do think though that Stannis would sacrifice his daughter if it was legitimately the only option he had left, as the show presented (even if it was only because of teleporting Bolton ninjas).

Hasn't Stannis expressed regret about having to be a king in the first place, like he was begrudgingly doing what his birthright and Mel's prophecies demand of him? Or am I imagining that? In any case I always thought he had a strong sense of duty, and putting the realm above even your own children is the duty of a king.

A bunch of Targs have died from disease in the past, them being immune to disease is baseless.

The Sand Snakes were always a bit of a joke. But Dorne in the show never had the screen time to do anything. They should have cut it and used that time for other plot threads.

Having seen this season play out, I think Arianne's plotline would have been more compelling and easier to pull off. Replace Jaime, Bronn, and Ellaria with Oakheart, Darkstar, and Arianne and it could play out almost exactly the same, with Doran's reveal coming when Arianne swears loyalty to him.

Feast/Dance were really a big part of Jaime's attempt at redemption, we've gotten none of that this season with him messing around with Bronn, and he's only had one meaningful scene with his daughter.

Eidan

Ramsay is truly the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to being an endless fountain of monstrous, perfectly executed evil deeds.

kirblar

Stannis' "Justice" is incredibly arbitrary and self-serving.

Renly is not Shireen. He tried to reason with Renly, and Renly was ready to meet him in battle to stand for his affluenza claim.

In the show, this dude just burns his own daughter alive because Ramsay Snake and the Fox Hounds burned some supplies.

Arkeband

Banned
Didn't she spend the last half of ADWD shitting all over Essos? I don't think they're resistant to disease. That would be funny though if Jorah gave her Grey Scale. That Jorah.

She was also having a miscarriage, it's assumed.

But here's where I got the 'Targaryens might be more resistant to disease" from:
Ser Barristan wrinkled up his nose, and said, “Your Grace should not be here, breathing these black humors.”

“I am the blood of the dragon,” Dany reminded him. “Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?” Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

There's also the whole "Why didn't Tyrion get greyscale" -> because he might be half Targ tinfoil theory.

Okay, someone explain to me Ellaria's characterization here

First she's extremely petulant in the beginning of the episode, then suddenly she loses all of her petulance when faced with execution, and then she starts acting totally reasonable when talking to Jaime

Does her entire arc through this season even serve a purpose

But here's where I got the 'Targaryens might be more resistant to disease" from:

There's also the whole "Why didn't Tyrion get greyscale" -> because he might be half Targ tinfoil theory.

Viserys apparently never read about the Great Spring Sickness. Fortunately we have and thus know that Targs die from disease.

Renly is not Shireen. He tried to reason with Renly, and Renly was ready to meet him in battle to stand for his affluenza claim.

In the show, this dude just burns his own daughter alive because Ramsay Snake and the Fox Hounds burned some supplies.

Yeah, in his eyes Renly was a usurper. He tried to reason with him, even offered him positions and pardons. Even still, he regrets his death.

But Shireen did nothing wrong. I just can't see him doing it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

She's taking the word of her crazy older brother.

Jarmel

Banned
Okay, someone explain to me Ellaria's characterization here

First she's extremely petulant in the beginning of the episode, then suddenly she loses all of her petulance when faced with execution, and then she starts acting totally reasonable when talking to Jaime

Does her entire arc through this season even serve a purpose

She obviously will kill Jaime as she's riding him.

I was assuming Mel will do it behind his back up at Castle Black, considering that all the women were left there. Not sure if that's more forgivable, though.

Better embrace the inevitable.

Team Stannis still.

Unless he actually does decide to burn Shireen in the books...which I doubt he will.

Pretty sure it's gonna be:

+Mel heard about the letter and finally makes sense of her "Why do I keep seeing Jon when I ask to see AA" problem
+Mel's like "Well fuck Stannis then that sucks."
+Mel realizes that even though Stannis wasn't really AA, he was really a king
+Shireen burns

foxtrot3d

Banned
Aimless wheel spinning? You need a whole book to bring Dany form a caring mother figure bent on freeing slaves to the kind of person that sets fire to an entire continent because it's her birthright.

Oh, I agree! It's definitely gonna be Mel in the books. I do think though that Stannis would sacrifice his daughter if it was legitimately the only option he had left, as the show presented (even if it was only because of teleporting Bolton ninjas).

Hasn't Stannis expressed regret about having to be a king in the first place, like he was begrudgingly doing what his birthright and Mel's prophecies demand of him? Or am I imagining that? In any case I always thought he had a strong sense of duty, and putting the realm above even your own children is the duty of a king.

I don't care much for placing characters in implausible situations in order force them to make a binary choice. Like, what would Daenerys do if the only way to defeat the White Walkers was to kill an innocent baby and then eat its own heart in front of its mother, would she do it? Who cares if she would or would not do it, such a situation would never happen it's completely implausible. That same thing applies to the current Stannis situation, whether he would burn his daughter or not is a moot point if he never has to confront that choice in the books.

Lothar

Banned
Pretty sure it's gonna be:

+Mel heard about the letter and finally makes sense of her "Why do I keep seeing Jon when I ask to see AA" problem
+Mel's like "Well fuck Stannis then that sucks."
+Mel realizes that even though Stannis wasn't really AA, he was really a king
+Shireen burns

Then that means Stannis is still a decent guy and not the worse than Ramsay shit that we just got. Then why the hell would they make that change? Again, it kind of retroactively ruins all past Stannis/Davos scenes.

Turin

Banned
Yeah, Shireen's definitely is going to burn in the books. I'm not convinced Stannis is the one to make that call.

We'll see.........

I don't care much for placing characters in implausible situations in order force them to make a binary choice. Like, what would Daenerys do if the only way to defeat the White Walkers was to kill an innocent baby and then eat its own heart in front of its mother, would she do it? Who cares if she would or would not do it, such a situation would never happen it's completely implausible. That same thing applies to the current Stannis situation, whether he would burn his daughter or not is a moot point if he never has to confront that choice in the books.

I suppose that's fair. I just wasn't surprised when I heard that this whole thing was supposedly GRRM's idea, because it kinda makes sense that Stannis would do that in the impossibly stupid situation he's been written into.

The show at this point isn't really about interesting character decisions though. That went out the window when Jon just went off to Hardhome to fight Voldemort and then came back perfectly fine a day later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom