• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

Wow.

Yall still rooting for Stannis.

Faked his sword. Burned people. Burned his Daughter.

So gives him justice?

Monocle

Lol wow, who's still rooting for Stannis now? Letting a fire-worshiping fruitcake kill burn the fuck alive probably the nicest, gentlest person on the show. His own daughter. Too far, even for his loony pickled old wife.

I'm not sure he'd come off worse if he had personally kicked Bambi in the balls. This jerk needs to go.

Turin

Banned
I'm gonna go watch Ponyo or something.

Anything to get my mind off little girls burning alive and rape and cannibalism and murder and even the combat sports I love so much. I need a break. -_-

I'm not sure he'd come off worse if he had personally kicked Bambi in the balls.

LOL! You got me with that one. :D

Stannis has been killing or letting his family die from the very beginning. He's one of the last people you'd want to be related to. He ran away and let Robert be killed and he assassinated Renly with dark magic. He openly considered burning his nephew alive. Burning Shireen is just the last straw. He talks a mean game about loyalty to his family, but at every single turn he has chosen himself over his family. He's a guy that's just really good at rationalizing selfishness.

hoos30

Lol wow, who's still rooting for Stannis now? Letting a fire-worshiping fruitcake kill burn the fuck alive probably the nicest, gentlest person on the show. His own daughter. Too far, even for his loony pickled old wife.

I'm not sure he'd come off worse if he had personally kicked Bambi in the balls. This jerk needs to go.

The Red God delivers time and time again. It's not like he sacrificed her to the seven, the drowned god or the old gods, those poseurs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought the episode was really shlocky and all over the place but I'm legit surprised that people are miffed over Shireen's burning.
Legacy is literally everything even within the context of just the show. Stannis has a wife who looks like she's about to keel over at any second and he tossed out his only heir. Literally everything that is happening in the books or shows is based around illegitimate contention of an empty throne. Sacrificing your lineage in order to ascend to the throne accomplishes nothing. More than that...what does this sacrifice accomplish? Even in the event that Stannis takes Winterfell, which is still an uphill battle, there are many more armies to fight to reach King's Landing, secure it, and fight off those who still lay claim to it. Dude just played his trump card when the game isn't even close to being over.

People's reactions to Shireen's death was so sweet. Can't wait for their reaction when the nights watch betrays Jon Snow and reenact Julius Caesar's final moment. Another incoming Red Wedding reaction?

Hizdahr's death is probably the first thing that the show has done differently from the books that I greatly approve of

Before he got stabbed the scene sure did seem to be setting him up as the Sons of the Harpy leader - he was late, the writing specifically called attention to that by having Dany ask him about it, he was just like "oh y'know just doing some stuff." Makes me wonder if the attack on him, specifically, was fake.

NeoGiff

Linda being as cordial as ever.

Ac1oHUt.png

This is someone who earns money on the back of the show.

Hey Missandei, Daario, Jorah and Tyrion, you guys can handle a pit full of murderous cutthroats, right? we out lol #ICanShowYouTheWorld

Legacy is literally everything even within the context of just the show. Stannis has a wife who looks like she's about to keel over at any second and he tossed out his only heir. Literally everything that is happening in the books or shows is based around illegitimate contention of an empty throne. Sacrificing your lineage in order to ascend to the throne accomplishes nothing. More than that...what does this sacrifice accomplish? Even in the event that Stannis takes Winterfell, which is still an uphill battle, there are many more armies to fight to reach King's Landing, secure it, and fight off those who still lay claim to it. Dude just played his trump card when the game isn't even close to being over.

Stannis obviously needs to find a new and younger wife to bear him some new children. Hey, maybe he should marry Sansa.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Linda being as cordial as ever.

Ac1oHUt.png

This is someone who earns money on the back of the show.
I kinda want to watch their video about this episode but then I think about actually having to listen to them and I change my mind.

it's ok the dragon spooked them and they only wanted to kill dany anyway

Well there were several shots of the arena that basically showed that the fight was over and the harpies scattered. You joke, but a dragon is likely to scare the shit out of well, anyone. So many staying around to get burned is the more improbable part.

Some of those guys were so scared they completely forgot to run away and instead got right up in the dragon's grill and threw spears at it.

"Oh, she flew away? OK, truce guys. Truce! See you later, drive safe!"

Mxrz

Wait, whats her problem? Not like this show isn't approved by GRRM, and will end up in the same place as the books.

Got a late start on this episode due to the game, but good stuff. Feel bad for the Stannis crowd, but we knew this was the road he was headed down. It sort of goes back to what Varys said long ago. Stannis cannot sit on the throne after all his black magic stuff.

Mel isn't at Castle Black, so that rules our her reviving Jon. Maybe Davos gets him out? Could lead to him being sent after Rickton next season. But who knows.

Allister back on Jon's side? Yay bros. Unnamed others + Oly for stabbing? It still seems incredibly short sighted, even more so now on the show after what some of the watch just saw at Hardhome.

I thought Haziq or whatnot was a harpy. Guess thats out? Guy wasn't terrible, but his last two minutes of screen time seemed to be "be as big a dick as possible."

The dragon flight wasn't terrible. But fucking Mireen. Why the hell wouldn't she just burn the entire damn city down and move on? It destroyed Dany on so many levels.

Tyrion gonna road trip again, wee.

Ramsey's camp is a little too invincible. They couldn't like capture some of the men at all? Nothing? 20 dudes just slipped in and out no big deal. If Stannis army is suppose to be shitty, they could have done more to show it over the years.

NeoGiff

Holy shit, guys. Anyone who doesn't see a problem with someone wishing endless misfortune and hatred on others for something as trivial as a television show has a problem.

Brakke

Banned
Before he got stabbed the scene sure did seem to be setting him up as the Sons of the Harpy leader - he was late, the writing specifically called attention to that by having Dany ask him about it, he was just like "oh y'know just doing some stuff." Makes me wonder if the attack on him, specifically, was fake.

Yeh him being late reminded me of the poison crickets. Such a blatant "this is the fucking guy" but then he totally isn't the guy.

Watching it atm. Even after reading the leaked spoilers and seeing one of the stills, I was not fucking prepared for Shireen's screams. OMFG. T_T

Mxrz

Yeah, I muted the tv after the third or forth one.

Oh yeah, whats with Ellaria kissing up to Jamie? I had expected Doran to do his "I was the grass that hid the viper" and bring her into his big scheme.

Yeah, I muted the tv after the third or forth one.

Oh yeah, whats with Ellaria kissing up to Jamie? I had expected Doran to do his "I was the grass that hid the viper" and bring her into his big scheme.

Maybe happening in ep 10 ?

Would Davos abandon Stannis after finding out he burned his daughter? Personally I would like him to do this and take the black.
He'll arrive at castle black probably after ramsay's letter gets there, so when he arrives he'll believe (or not) that stannis died, and will know nothing about shireen burning

I was totally out after the Shireen bit, the fighting pit scene with Dany and Drogan certainly brought me back in but some of those flying shots man.......

tumblr_n8nziaWN1I1s7wufmo10_r1_250.gif

Madness

So what I was spoiled with in this thread came true. As for book readers hating the showrunners, apparently
the showrunners said that GRRM told them this happens in the future book as well. So maybe that's why they put it in

But damn. Is it just me or did Hizdahr die a really fake death? He said he had some matters to attend to. And then when the harpies come, he was stabbed very awkwardly, almost like Scream where they knew where to do it. He even looked at Daario like see, I'm not the leader, I'm being stabbed.

Man, I just don't get what kind of deity exists in a world that would grant powers for burning young girls alive. And the sad part is, the Lord of Light is the only one resurrecting people from the dead, doing shadow monster shit, giving visions. The faith of the seven has been useless.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wait, whats her problem?

If you read her tweets, it's clear she's upset by the fact that:

Oe4oQcJ.png

D&D casually confirmed in the Inside the Episode that Shireen's burning is something that GRRM told them happens in one of the upcoming books. Unlike a lot of the other events that haven't happened in the books (yet), like Barristan's death, they've kept quiet about whether they were things GRRM told them happen in later books or just stuff they came up with on their own. "The show is the show and the books are the books" has been the go-to line whenever a deviation happens.

sIuVLW2.png

Spoiling the books through the show's narrative is an inevitability - spoiling the books via an interview is something else entirely. It really was completely unprofessional on D&D's part to reveal that information publicly.

So what I was spoiled with in this thread came true. As for book readers hating the showrunners, apparently
the showrunners said that GRRM told them this happens in the future book as well. So maybe that's why they put it in

But damn. Is it just me or did Hizdahr die a really fake death? He said he had some matters to attend to. And then when the harpies come, he was stabbed very awkwardly, almost like Scream where they knew where to do it. He even looked at Daario like see, I'm not the leader, I'm being stabbed.

Man, I just don't get what kind of deity exists in a world that would grant powers for burning young girls alive. And the sad part is, the Lord of Light is the only one resurrecting people from the dead, doing shadow monster shit, giving visions. The faith of the seven has been useless.

There is a difference between Shireen burning which all book readers expected to happen vs. Stannis wanting her to burn. For that to happen Stannis has to go back to wall. Maybe it is happening but that just seems ass backwards and then GRRM has lost his marbles.

NeoGiff

A sweet little bit of trivia regarding Liam Cunningham and Kerry Ingram.

Unbeknownst to each other, they had both bought gifts. On their last day together, Liam gave her a silver stag, and she gave him a pillow with a stag sewn onto it.

Source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom