• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, at least the meltdowns on Jon stabbing will be epic. If they end on it as a cliff hanger that will be a giant fuck you as well. At least in the book it was nuanced and there's a good chance he's either still or alive or will be rezed.

Because at least in the books they've laid tons of groundwork for Jon being resurrected or warging into Ghost and then being resurrected.

The show? If they resurrect Jon it'll be because in the "Previously on GoT" bit before the episode they explicitly show Beric being resurrected by Thoros and Bran warging into Summer. Cause the show sure as hell hasn't done any setup in showing the other Stark kids having warg abilities or somebody like Stoneheart to show how resurrection via R'hllor is a thing beyond Beric.

I think with how subtle the show has been with foreshadowing things to this point, its all but a certainty that Brienne kills Stannis, just as much as Olly will go Brutus on Jon.

With how the show has been, I half expect Brienne to be brutally killed before she can kill Stannis, but then Rams will kill Stannis from behind when we're all shocked at Brienne. In the middle of all that Theon and Sansa escape thanks to Pod.

Mhmm

Because at least in the books they've laid tons of groundwork for Jon being resurrected or warging into Ghost and then being resurrected.

The show? If they resurrect Jon it'll be because in the "Previously on GoT" bit before the episode they explicitly show Beric being resurrected by Thoros and Bran warging into Summer. Cause the show sure as hell hasn't done any setup in showing the other Stark kids having warg abilities or somebody like Stoneheart to show how resurrection via R'hllor is a thing beyond Beric.

I hate those recaps. Make everything way too obvious.

Brakke

Banned
If anything, at least the meltdowns on Jon stabbing will be epic. If they end on it as a cliff hanger that will be a giant fuck you as well. At least in the book it was nuanced and there's a good chance he's either still or alive or will be rezed.

Lol @ nuanced. Giving that entire prologue which otherwise accomplishes exactly nothing *except* to specifically outline the rules of warging and demonstrate Jon's out isn't nuance it's blatant telegraphing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

I actually think that is 100% intentional to give Jon's next form as much impact as possible.

Madness

Wait someone explain to me why the '20 good men' thing is so hard to believe.

Stannis has the superior force here, even with the loss of the sell swords. We're supposed to believe that 20 men infiltrated a camp of thousands, set staged fires to only the food stores, destroyed the seige weapons, killed most of the horses and then disappeared without a sight? Not only are they several hundred miles out from Winterfell, but even if they're Northerners, no one likes the Boltons.

I don't know just felt very deus ex machina to me. They needed Stannis to be upset and suffer a loss, so let's get everyone's favorite Ramsay pull a Splinter Cell style assault and vanish.

Dysun

lol @ someone seeing 20 men completely neuter an army and thinking that's a believable scenario and not contrived to hell and back in order to have Stannis' heel turn

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mel burns Theon trying to raise Stannis but "nothing" happens (Jon revives way away). So she turns to the only other person around with kings blood; Sansa. Burns her. ReturnOfTheKing.

But then Ramsay kills them all. Even Jon. Especially Jon.

Sounds almost like a bad 1970's Musical Variety Show. "Mel's Fireside Chat Emporium"

I could see the 1st part happening, and Sansa killing Mel when she tries for #2.

Also something I've worried about. They introduce Beric and his condition, which I really thought would lead right into Stoneheart. I mean, it's the only reason why Beric's whole condition exists. As it stands now, he's basically an undead Robin Hood, and his part of the story is over.

Resurrection also seems to need to have a red priest/priestess involved, on site. Thoros there for Beric and Stoneheart, and the potential of Mel being there with Jon, post "FTW." Neither of these are around for Jon now.

With no Stoneheart, and no other Warging besides Bran (No Arya/Nemeria, nor whispers of Robb and Grey Wind), both Warging and "resurrection" has long been pushed to the side. Which makes me worried that death will just be death, or he won't die and just be injured (or "FTW" fails in it's attempt).

Maybe the season ends with the Wall being attacked by the full force of the WW, interrupting FTW and signaling the doom of Westeros. I'd be ok with this.

We're still not to episode 10.

We've had rape, child sacrifice. Are corkscrew abortions in our future?

Chekov's Wine Barrell T-Handle.

Speevy

Banned
lol @ someone seeing 20 men completely neuter an army and thinking that's a believable scenario and not contrived to hell and back in order to have Stannis' heel turn

A terrorist attack that destroys a supply of something is completely believable, not in medieval times with an army guarding it though.

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know I laughed pretty good when Hizdhar got stabbed. I felt that he was the total embodiment of the "Meereenese Knot" and thus D&D killing him was them officially axing that whole complicated mess.

Kain

I find funny that Davos knows the exact number of people who took to burn the camp. It's like he watched last week's episode or something.

hoos30

S0QEQ5g.png

hahaha
Oh god dying here

suzu

I hate to spoiler tag speculation, but I feel this is kind of inevitable at this point, Re: Stannis. It cannot be an accident that Brienne has been stationed right outside of Winterfell for half a season, and, having recently declared her unshakeable intention to put an end to Stannis Baratheon, will now be within striking distance. I feel like we have a 90% chance of Brienne killing Stannis in Episode 10, and the book purists aren't ready for it. I think we'll be getting the biggest yet round of "I'm done with this show" posts from people who absolutely won't be done with the show, but who will certainly do their best to make this thread painful to read.[/spoiler]

This show ain't exactly subtle. :p I don't think anybody is going to be surprised, including Stannis stans. He was never going to sit on the Iron Throne. Same thing with Shireen getting burned.. nobody is really shocked that she was going to burn, it was how it all went down.

And I didn't know this thread was only for positive reactions. :O

Brakke

Banned
Did you guys actually like The Pink Letter? Isn't it the same sort of thing as the twenty good men? A Deus Ex that happens off-screen to raise stakes on an important character, tipping over to engaging some action that's surprising but not exactly out-of-character.

The Pink Letter is doubly cheap because the authorship is frustrating. If Ramsay wrote it he captured and immediately flipped Mance? If Mance himself wrote it then it opens a million character questions about his motivations. So cheaply mysterious.

Lonestar

Brienne's like "There's Stannis. Stab him!"

They do and his whole army is gone in the next scene.

Sounds like the D&D way.

Dany flies away, and immediately, 90% of the Harpy's are gone from the arena floor (looking at that rotating camera view of Tyrion, Jorah, Daario, and Missandei.

Brienne kills Stannis. Melisandre burns Theon to revive Stannis but Jon wakes up right?

OH OH OH

What if... she burns Stannis?!

Sounds like the D&D way.

Dany flies away, and immediately, 90% of the Harpy's are gone from the arena floor (looking at that rotating camera view of Tyrion, Jorah, Daario, and Missandei.

What do you mean... you mean their bodies are gone or are you talking about the standing soldiers? Because the standing SotH got fuckin' rekt by the dragon and the smart SotH probably ran off because fuccckkk that's a dragon.

I thought it was a decent episode overall. Shireen's death was surprising to say the least but it'll be interesting to see how she fares in the rest of the books. The Drogon scene at the end was good. Dorne still pales in comparison to the book but still, I'm looking forward to the series finale.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Did you guys actually like The Pink Letter? Isn't it the same sort of thing as the twenty good men? A Deus Ex that happens off-screen to raise stakes on an important character, tipping over to engaging some action that's surprising but not exactly out-of-character.

The Pink Letter is doubly cheap because the authorship is frustrating. If Ramsay wrote it he captured and immediately flipped Mance? If Mance himself wrote it then it opens a million character questions about his motivations. So cheaply mysterious.

No, because the Pink Letter was the culmination of the feelings built up by Jon over the course of ADWD and the previous novels. This is a guy who missed his opportunity to save his father and then decided to turn around from aiding his brother who later died. Now, to suddenly realize that a battle is being fought over his home and that one of his sole surviving siblings is in the middle of it makes him finally abandon his vows.

Plus, the mystery of the Pink Letter is fun to debate.

I hope show Daario lives forever.

Allegedly (hinted by GRRM in an interview), he's somebody important under another identity. I feel more confident with theories now that we are relatively safe from book readers coming in and ruining stuff or accidentally getting spoiled when trying to find discussion on theories.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I like how tactical genius Stannis Baratheon losing all his supplies and horses to a guerrilla force on foreign ground in inclement / horrendous conditions is less believable than tactical genius Stannis Baratheon launching an attack against Winterfell without enough provisions to last a year even if the weather cooperated. This is the same guy everyone held up because he ate rats and shit at Storm's End.

Kallor

This season would have been so much better with the Iron Islanders story. Best parts of AFFC and ADWD. Hopefully we get to catch up with them next season.

Blatz

If
Brienne really does kill Stannis
I don't think people in here will care that much anymore after yesterday. I'm so excited for the Winterfell/North Plotline in TWOW but at this point in the show I just want to see it end. They've done enough damage already.

Ramsay and 20 people somehow made it past Stannis' entire army and destroyed every single siege weapon and piece of food without a single person in the group being spotted, let alone killed. You would think there would be guards everywhere, especially among the most important items for a war (weapons and food for the soldiers). And how were they even able to start the fires? The whole thing was just impossible. If some of Ramsay's men were killed or captured it would be more believable but they weren't even spotted.

Let's not forget that Stannis said "we have to march now". But somehow Ramsay could get to the camp (and know exactly where the camp was) before Stannis could leave. If they are that close to Winterfell, why are they waiting?

One of the Spearwives could have given up everything. I think Mance is chilling somewhere in the crypts.

Real Hero

This season would have been so much better with the Iron Islanders story. Best parts of AFFC and ADWD. Hopefully we get to catch up with them next season.

Would it? Look how they handled Dorne. I don't think adding another plot thread would have improved this season.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

If anything the show suffers the same way the books do -- iron islands and dorne stuff comes outta nowhere. It's almost like GRRM didn't plan this stuff out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

If the Dorne stuff was excellent, I wouldn't have second thoughts. However, seeing as how Dorne has played out so far this season in a rather lackluster fashion, I think that I would have liked to see how they could have done the Riverlands instead, or perhaps the Iron Islands stuff instead.

Boats and sea shots might be too expensive, though.

Lol @ nuanced. Giving that entire prologue which otherwise accomplishes exactly nothing *except* to specifically outline the rules of warging and demonstrate Jon's out isn't nuance it's blatant telegraphing.

Well I meant in the way that he nay not even be fully dead, but just injured. Like Arya taking the Hounds Axe "to the back of the head."

Lonestar

You know how there are plenty of people still carrying The Row Boy's torch, with nary a whisper about him in the show ever since.

What about the True Hero we deserve?

He's been swimming for a long time.

What do you mean... you mean their bodies are gone or are you talking about the standing soldiers? Because the standing SotH got fuckin' rekt by the dragon and the smart SotH probably ran off because fuccckkk that's a dragon.

Sure, a lot of them fled, but there were plenty of them still around, with an endless supply of spears to throw. But woosh goes the dragon and the queen, and everyone's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom