• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't know. But the books make a point that dragons can live hundreds of years and never stop growing as long they're properly fed.

That's just what they've guessed. Dragons that were in the pit didn't grow, but Maester Marwyn says the Maesters were responsible for that, and gave the space excuse to the Targs when they were killing their dragons instead of saving them.

Falcs

Banned
DIgd64w.png

Who's ready for next week?

Man, if this is what happens next week...
Fucking hell. And you can just tell some serious shit is going to go down with this damn kid.

None of these things are relevant to the show. No Yunkish generals, no Brazen Beasts, barely Shavepate. Daario killing the Meereenese champion is an endorsement for Daario, not an indictment of Meereenese martial ability.

This isn't hard. Show-Unsullied are simply nerfed compared to book Unsullied. Which, of course they are. They're Dany's entire military in the show. Where in the books she has sellswords, Dothraki, etc, pulling down the overall average of her force's skill-level.

And they did well in the pit! Once they made a formation, they were killing Harpies at better than one each. They didn't even lose that fight.

I agree with all of this. I hated almost everything about this episode, but a group of 20 or so unsullied not being able to completely decimate a force at least ten times their number is not one of the things I hate.

The only being capable of something like that is Ramsay.

I can't keep reading this thread because it's just fueling my dislike of the show but in the end I can't leave because.... Well just because.

Hurry up and release the next book George sheesh.

Btw: what's with all the Ramsay love?

Speevy

Banned
D and D said the first time we saw Stannis, he was sacrificing people on the beaches of Dragonstone.

I thought they were burning idols of the seven.

Syder

"A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire,” Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, “The Old Gods of the North have sent this storm upon us. Only R’hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever.”

“Half my army is made up of unbelievers,” Stannis had replied. “I will have no burnings. Pray harder.
“ — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt.”
Now we just have to face the grim fact that this isn't an adaptation any more. It's an interpretation. A way to edit George's writing, albeit somewhat my himself, for a wider audience. I also worry what these changes/streamlining mean for certain threads in the books.

The deaths of Hizdahr and Shireen, and Jorah's Greyscale, just tell me GRRM isn't going to do anything consequential with them in the future books and I'm disappointed I've discovered this through the show. Also, the lack of Jeyne Poole,
Aegon
, Arianne, Euron and Victarion and other characters like Coldhands worries me about their importance in the book storyline. The severe lack of Bran tells me George just doesn't have a clue what to do with him.
CHAYZf1UAAAXQBG.jpg

Speevy

Banned
The one good thing they did in Stannis' camp was sending Davos away.

I'd hate to waste him over such a horrible decision.

Just watched the episode. Still trying to process that scene, but for now, I'll say two things: as much as I hate what happened, the scene itself was wonderfully directed and acted (top marks to Dillane, who actually made me feel something more than just outright disgust and loathing towards Satannis), and Shireen's screams are going to stay with me for a while.

As for the rest of the episode? Meh. God Mode Ramsay and his 20 Good Men somehow manage to sneak past an entire army and burn the apparently unguarded supply tents without suffering a single casualty? Next episode, I'm actually half-expecting him to do a shirtless kamikaze charge into Stannis's forces and STILL come out unscathed. Arya's scenes should be exciting and intriguing but just seem to drag, and I'm not sure the Meryn Trant, Pedo of the Kingsguard reveal was necessary. Guess we couldn't have an episode without at least an implied rape. Nothing happened at the Wall, and by this point I'm sure even the densest of the unsullied are expecting the "shocking" twist in the next episode (but hey, let's have Olly glare at Jon for the 150th time, just in case we haven't telegraphed his betrayal sufficiently). Dorne continues to be an utter waste of money, acting talent and screen time (seriously, we lost Jaime's Riverlands story, Lady Stoneheart and other book material for this?). Brienne is MIA once again, and presumably still hanging out outside Winterfell (it's hard to believe they cut her much-reviled AFFC material and STILL managed to make her arc this season even more boring). Daznak's Pit was horribly staged and lacked any kind of tension (there was one awful prolonged moment when the harpies were surrounding Dany and her entourage but nobody was actually doing anything, like they were all waiting for a cue from the director. It seemed to go on forever). I did think the dragon-riding CGI was absolutely fine, however, especially for a TV show.

Man, reading that back, I sound like a complete stereotype of a disgruntled book reader, but believe it or not, I used to defend the show to the hilt when people would complain about D&D's changes or the declining overall quality. It's becoming increasingly harder for me to do so.

Honestly I echo the same sentiments. D&D should be commended for making Arya Stark of all people boring and then stuffing some good 'ol fashioned pedophilia for the ratings boost and subsequent "controversy"

Every single these people do is not for the sake of storytelling but for ratings

Just watched the episode and I have to say, I really liked it.

That scene was something else and I am frustrated with Stannis' decision to go forward with it but it still worked for me.

Dany riding the dragon looked kind of cheesy but it sort of read that way as well.

Arabesque

Though I suspect Stannis in the book will somehow be involved with Shireen's burning, not something you do in secret

And yes the bastards situation was dropped like rock, very unfortunate and means no more Gendry

Geographically, it wouldn't be possible. Stannis is already marching onto Winterfell, and he wouldn't be able to go back to The Wall to issue the order, so it would have to be Melisandre (and maybe the Queen) who does it on their own. Maybe they manage to actually talk with her and convince her it is a sacrifice to save her father I dunno.

Which is why Edric Storm is sort of central to the whole thing, more than ever. Outside him being the strongest person to inherit the Stormlands and being Stannis' heir (should he be legitimised) he also was Shireen's closest (and only ...) friend around her age. His reaction to her death is something that would be interesting to see. Of course that is all in regards to how TWOW plays out.

As for Robert's basterds in the show, yeah it's really unfortunate that plot line got dropped. The fact that they combined Gendry and Edric's role into one makes me think that they are also streamlining that thread in order to have Gendry show up as the new heir to the Stormlands (if they even bother bringing that plot point up). The problem is that without it, Stannis just burnt his one true heir to his ancestral home, and that is something that "The younger brother should obey the elder" Stannis wouldn't typically do.

Speevy

Banned
Every time the show conflates something with something else, there's going to be a question of characterization.

If Raff the Sweetling had been a show character, might we feel better about watching Arya kill him?

Now we just have to face the grim fact that this isn't an adaptation any more. It's an interpretation. A way to edit George's writing, albeit somewhat my himself, for a wider audience. I also worry what these changes/streamlining mean for certain threads in the books.

The deaths of Hizdahr and Shireen, and Jorah's Greyscale, just tell me GRRM isn't going to do anything consequential with them in the future books and I'm disappointed I've discovered this through the show. Also, the lack of Jeyne Poole,
Aegon
, Arianne, Euron and Victarion and other characters like Coldhands worries me about their importance in the book storyline. The severe lack of Bran tells me George just doesn't have a clue what to do with him.
[IG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHAYZf1UAAAXQBG.jpg[/IMG]
Bran is off jedi training. I'm curious as to how the onion knight will react to the news. Will he stay loyal to the king or stay with Jon Snow in the Wall?

The question on everybody's mind is what is Ricken doing right now? Is he having a good night's rest?

Arabesque

The one good thing they did in Stannis' camp was sending Davos away.

If Davis was still in the camp, he would've ran away with Shireen rather than let her die. He loves that girl like she was his own child.

Makes me wonder how he will end up going to get
Rickon
in the show

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If Davis was still in the camp, he would've ran away with Shireen rather than let her die. He loves that girl like she was his own child.

Makes me wonder how he will end up going to get
Rickon
in the show
Shireen didn't have black hair in the show, maybe Davos was her real father. :p

Speevy

Banned
Iwan Rheon is a very talented actor, but Ramsay has done so many villainous, disgusting things without any recourse from the other characters that I just want him to die.

So book Jon won't go to Winterfell to help reclaim it and get HAHAAAAAAAAA HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA so does this mean that if there's any betrayal it'll be solely due to "unh you brought our enemies over here" stupidity?

jett

D-Member
Great post from the unsullied thread...

Stannis is most def getting chopped this weekend. You don't do something like that and survive.

Anyway, it's for the best, show-wise. The more people die, the better. Too many fucking parallel plotlines going on in this thing, it's a mess.

Speevy

Banned
The letter is something like "Haha I'm totally raping your sister, Stannis is not coming, fuck you bastard."

Sam says "What are you gonna do?" and Jon's like "It's vow-breakin' time! Tell Olly to meet me in the stabbing yard."

Arabesque

Shireen didn't have black hair in the show, maybe Davos was her real father. :p

But then, if Shrieen is of King's blood and the burning works* next episode, that would mean ...

#TeamDavos

*I would laugh if Shrieen's burning did nothing lol poor girl, senseless sacrfice

The letter is something like "Haha I'm totally raping your sister, Stannis is not coming, fuck you bastard."

Sam says "What are you gonna do?" and Jon's like "It's vow-breakin' time! Tell Olly to meet me in the stabbing yard."

They've only recently made show Jon not incredibly annoying compared to his book version, and they've given him a reason to stay and fight considering what he just fucking went through, if he seriously drops this serious shit because of a troll letter fuck the police.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I love your posts.

jett

D-Member

Aegon
CHAYZf1UAAAXQBG.jpg

Personally I believe these changes mean nothing. D&D are doing whatever they want, and it's only going to get "worse" next season, where there's no book material at all to scrib from. I actually look forward to that disaster.

Geographically, it wouldn't be possible. Stannis is already marching onto Winterfell, and he wouldn't be able to go back to The Wall to issue the order, so it would have to be Melisandre (and maybe the Queen) who does it on their own. Maybe they manage to actually talk with her and convince her it is a sacrifice to save her father I dunno.

Which is why Edric Storm is sort of central to the whole thing, more than ever. Outside him being the strongest person to inherit the Stormlands and being Stannis' heir (should he be legitimised) he also was Shireen's closest (and only ...) friend around her age. His reaction to her death is something that would be interesting to see. Of course that is all in regards to how TWOW plays out.

As for Robert's basterds in the show, yeah it's really unfortunate that plot line got dropped. The fact that they combined Gendry and Edric's role into one makes me think that they are also streamlining that thread in order to have Gendry show up as the new heir to the Stormlands (if they even bother bringing that plot point up). The problem is that without it, Stannis just burnt his one true heir to his ancestral home, and that is something that "The younger brother should obey the elder" Stannis wouldn't typically do.

Very good analysis. Show Stannis really is a total idiot then
Book Stannis would like to have some very strong words with Melisandre if she does indeed coax Shireen into sacrificing herself (maybe that's how she dies)

Back to the show, if the letter thing is true then are they seriously turning Sansa into nothing more than a damsel for big hero Jon to rescue?

Very good analysis. Show Stannis really is a total idiot then
Book Stannis would like to have some very strong words with Melisandre if she does indeed coax Shireen into sacrificing herself (maybe that's how she dies)

Back to the show, if the letter thing is true then are they seriously turning Sansa into nothing more than a damsel for big hero Jon to rescue?

No. They turn Sansa into once again the reason a family member gets killed/almost killed.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Man, if this is what happens next week...
Fucking hell. And you can just tell some serious shit is going to go down with this damn kid.

Yep, we're gonna go from this week and "omg, Stannis murdering children, his own child no less" to "omg, I hope that child gets murdered for what he did to Jon."

Corpekata

Banned
At this point enough has changed that I wouldn't say any deaths or changes here point to their fates in the books. Couple changes, sure, but this season has deviated enough that I can't imagine most of them would reflect the books.

At this point enough has changed that I wouldn't say any deaths or changes here point to their fates in the books. Couple changes, sure, but this season has deviated enough that I can't imagine most of them would reflect the books.

If he confirms Jon is dead and doesn't come back in here then that seals his fate in the books. Largely because if the show can say his importance as a supposed lead character is done then it'd be weird if he's extremely important in the novels.

It's pretty obvious how the letter thing will go down. Jon will get the letter, but after an internal struggle refuse to take the bait. Then Davos arrives and makes an offer of staffing the entire wall in the future in exchange for assistance from the Watch in the present. Jon will be able to convince himself that he will need extra men at the wall so much that helping Stannis would be the correct course of action as the commander of the watch, and not just what he chooses to do for the sake of revenge/Sansa/his home.

Would work better than the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom