• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned
Geographically, it wouldn't be possible. Stannis is already marching onto Winterfell, and he wouldn't be able to go back to The Wall to issue the order, so it would have to be Melisandre (and maybe the Queen) who does it on their own. Maybe they manage to actually talk with her and convince her it is a sacrifice to save her father I dunno.

Which is why Edric Storm is sort of central to the whole thing, more than ever. Outside him being the strongest person to inherit the Stormlands and being Stannis' heir (should he be legitimised) he also was Shireen's closest (and only ...) friend around her age. His reaction to her death is something that would be interesting to see. Of course that is all in regards to how TWOW plays out.

As for Robert's basterds in the show, yeah it's really unfortunate that plot line got dropped. The fact that they combined Gendry and Edric's role into one makes me think that they are also streamlining that thread in order to have Gendry show up as the new heir to the Stormlands (if they even bother bringing that plot point up). The problem is that without it, Stannis just burnt his one true heir to his ancestral home, and that is something that "The younger brother should obey the elder" Stannis wouldn't typically do.

Edric Storm is so important he was mentioned all of twice in the last two books. No bastard is going to have a claim to the Stormlands, no one will support him. Whoever controls the throne will most likely give it to a loyal supporter. The Stormlands is not a plot, there is nothing to be told in the squabbling for titles. There has already been three sieges detailed at Storms end, we sure as he'll don't need a fourth.

If/when Shireen dies at Castle Black how is Edric who is in parts unknown going to find out

Also Tommen is The Lord of the Stormlands.

bengraven

Then Davos comes riding back.

"Look who I ran into on the way back?"

*presents Gendry to Stannis*

"Perfect. Men, prepare the firewood!"

"Sire, we found a little black haired baby behind the firewood!"
"Why that's the little Robert bastard! I thought he died in King's Landing! Good find, lad!"
"Not a lad, sire. I'm a girl. Stone's the name. Mya Stone."

Fuck awful episode.

Sand snakes slapping hands

Stannis committing filicide because of OP Ramsay

We really need to understand how evil Trant is so let's make him a child rapist

All the sons of harpies magically disappearing after Dany flies away on her dragon, because lol can't afford the CGI to have Dany riding the dragon while having it burn everyone. Her friends are lucky all the harpies suffered from involuntary teleportation once Dany decided to leave all her friends to die.

Don´t forget the Harpy slaying noble man, Dragon climbing cgi straight from the 80s, Bron becoming a comic relief character, Olly staring contest, Jon travling the sea and yet standing on the wrong side of the wall etc etc. Major clusterfucks all around. Spartacus had better arenas even in season 1.

munchie64

Don´t forget the Harpy slaying noble man, Dragon climbing cgi straight from the 80s, Bron becoming a comic relief character, Olly staring contest, Jon travling the sea and yet standing on the wrong side of the wall etc etc. Major clusterfucks all around. Spartacus had better arenas even in season 1.
CGI like this didn't even exist in the 80s.

cLOUDo

stannis should listen davos not melissandre

tumblr_mo5th95hNW1qkwee2o1_500.gif

Don't know about show but if you're willing to read, the Malazan: Book of the Fallen novels are fantastic.

Thanks, it's sounds good, I'll look at it.

My question though, was specifically about the cgi. People are blasting it, but is there a precedent of better cgi in TV shows somewhere? I can't think of one with an equal scope (large organic creatures and massive battles).

Thanks, it's sounds good, I'll look at it.

My question though, was specifically about the cgi. People are blasting it, but is there a precedent of better cgi in TV shows somewhere? I can't think of one with an equal scope (large organic creatures and massive battles).

in TV it isn't likely since not many channels have the budget that HBO can pour into their shows.

Enosh

innocent loving girl >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "EEEEEENH MY PARENTS ARE DEAD kid
are we really blaming him for not being BFFs with wildling after they murdered and ate his parents in front of him? because I totally understand him wanting to nuke every wildling from the face of the planet

CGI like this didn't even exist in the 80s.

Well duh. Of course not. They still somehow managed to made it look like a fanmade video on youtube. Neverending Story looked better than this. Danny climbing Drogon was so hilarious it almost made me forgot the poor fighting choreographie minutes earlier.

are we really blaming him for not being BFFs with wildling after they murdered and ate his parents in front of him? because I totally understand him wanting to nuke every wildling from the face of the planet

Nah I understand why a kid would be against it, but if he really ends up killing Jon because of it? Sorry there's no understanding there.

Jon is totally going to head south and get stabbed. He must have already forgotten about the zombies that's why he didn't tell anyone about them.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well duh. Of course not. They still somehow managed to made it look like a fanmade video on youtube. Neverending Story looked better than this. Danny climbing Drogon was so hilarious it almost made me forgot the poor fighting choreographie minutes earlier.

I think perhaps you need to buy a better TV.

Javaman

If
Brienne really does kill Stannis
I don't think people in here will care that much anymore after yesterday. I'm so excited for the Winterfell/North Plotline in TWOW but at this point in the show I just want to see it end. They've done enough damage already.

Ramsay and 20 people somehow made it past Stannis' entire army and destroyed every single siege weapon and piece of food without a single person in the group being spotted, let alone killed. You would think there would be guards everywhere, especially among the most important items for a war (weapons and food for the soldiers). And how were they even able to start the fires? The whole thing was just impossible. If some of Ramsay's men were killed or captured it would be more believable but they weren't even spotted.

Yeah i hated that. It would have been better if fire chick set them in order to push Stanis to killing his daughter.

Almost all the fight scenes are crap this season. I don't know If its the choreography or editing, but they make no sense. Barriston, arena, sand snakes? All complete crap. Hardhome and Jamie's fights were the only good ones.

Kusagari

I'm half expecting the Bolton's to stomp Stannis army and then the season ends with Jon getting the troll letter from Ramsay.

Then next season Ramsay kills Jon in front of Sansa.

The letter is something like "Haha I'm totally raping your sister, Stannis is not coming, fuck you bastard."

Sam says "What are you gonna do?" and Jon's like "It's vow-breakin' time! Tell Olly to meet me in the stabbing yard."
Pre episode recap:
"Take off your clothes."

"...Ned Stark'sBASTARD."

"But the wilding skilled my entire family..."

I think perhaps you need to buy a better TV.

You think the dragon climbing looked great? Well i´m not the one in need for a better TV. ^^
I didn´t bother me as much as Dany getting away unburned (again).. i´m more curious about how a show of this magnitude could fuck this scene up the way it did. it was supposed to the biggest thing this season.

You think the dragon climbing looked great? Well i´m not the one in need for a better TV. ^^
I didn´t bother me as much as Dany getting away unburned (again).. i´m more curious about how a show of this magnitude could fuck this scene up the way it did. it was supposed to the biggest thing this season.

considering the amount of CG/make up needed for the whitewalker fight? It's a fucking dragon.

duckroll

Dragon climbing cgi straight from the 80s

They still somehow managed to made it look like a fanmade video on youtube.

You think the dragon climbing looked great?

I love how this goes from "CGI straight from the 80s" to "fanmade video on youtube" to "so if it is neither of those that must mean it looks great". Truly hilarious. Maybe you should learn to better articulate your criticisms if you don't want people laughing at you.

Edit: Oh while I was posting that we already got this gem:

The shot where Dany rides drogon looked like a "people sitting in a moving car scene" from the 20s.

So is it 80s, 20s, or Youtube? Make up your mind!

Arabesque

Edric Storm is so important he was mentioned all of twice in the last two books.

It was more speculation as to what Stannis will do once he finds out that Shireen had been burned. I mean Stannis has no one else as heir, and it might as well be someone who was of noble birth (or at least equivalent enough to be a Great Bastard). He doesn't need to be an important figure in the story or a POV character.

No bastard is going to have a claim to the Stormlands, no one will support him.

Orys did. And people accepted his claim. And really once you think about, Joffery too ...

And in terms of bastards holding claims, both Robb and Stannis seemed to think that all they needed to do was just legitimise Jon as Jon Stark and the North would've accepted him as the King in the North. And going by how strong the support for Daemon Blackfyre was, it seems like that is all it takes in this world to get the support of lords (who would either be bound by duty or opportunistic desires).

Whoever controls the throne will most likely give it to a loyal supporter. The Stormlands is not a plot, there is nothing to be told in the squabbling for titles. There has already been three sieges detailed at Storms end, we sure as he'll don't need a fourth.

But there had been a large portion dedicated of this story in regards to squabbling over who is the King of whom :p Obviously the ultimate fate of who will actually get the Stormlands is something only GRRM would know, but I'm not talking about that.

I'm considering Stannis' options having lost Shrieen, and what he would do to ensure that House Baratheon doesn't become extinct.

If/when Shireen dies at Castle Black how is Edric who is in parts unknown going to find out

Edric is in Lys. And if Shrieen were to die, it might take a while for news to make it from Castle Black to Lys, but it will get there. Not to mention if Stannis does legitimise him, he would send word for him to come back,

I'm not saying that he would just teleport like they do in the show lol, it's just something to think about in regards to what will happen in the future.

Also Tommen is The Lord of the Stormlands.

Sure. I mean Tommen on paper is the Lord of the Stormlands because on paper he is Robert's trueborn son, but I think half the kingdom already knows that is simply not the truth. And given the other 2 major lords declared for themselves, that makes his claim even more dubious.

Not like it matters to him anyways, since
Varys
is busy killing all of Tommen's sane advisers and letting Cersei roam around freely, so Tommen should find himself dead shortly after Shrieen.

Sure. But lets be honest. The shot where Dany rides drogon looked like a "people sitting in a moving car scene" from the 20s. Poor backrounds and silly riding motions included.

Jesus it went from neverending story to "from the 20's" rofl

next time you describe it it'll be

"How did they fuck up that scene, it looked like a 5 year old's drawing being floated in front of the screen"

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Thought it looked pretty good. Certainly nowhere near as bad as you are making it out to be.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jon sees the NW surrounding him
Jon: "Olly, fetch me my sword."
Olly runs to Jon and plunges Longclaw into Jon's chest while saying "For my parents!"
*credits*

I love how this goes from "CGI straight from the 80s" to "fanmade video on youtube" to "so if it is neither of those that must mean it looks great". Truly hilarious. Maybe you should learn to better articulate your criticisms if you don't want people laughing at you.

Edit: Oh while I was posting that we already got this gem:

So is it 80s, 20s, or Youtube? Make up your mind!

Climbing: 80s.
Riding (seeing her face) 20s.
Easy.

Jesus it went from neverending story to "from the 20's" rofl

next time you describe it it'll be

"How did they fuck up that scene, it looked like a 5 year old's drawing being floated in front of the screen"

Not discussing the sandsnake fight right now.

Valhelm

contribute something
I just got around to watching the last episode. Wow.

With Hizdahr out of the picture, the chance of Daaron in the show seem somewhat more possible. I'm not sure why he would be killed if not to make Daenerys single again.

Speevy

Banned
Having this show filmed as though it were from the 20s would be awesome.

Imagine a silent film Game of Thrones.

Dany's face-acting would really start to shine.

Think of the red wedding

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

With Hizdahr out of the picture, the chance of Daaron in the show seem somewhat more possible. I'm not sure why he would be killed if not to make Daenerys single again

Jorah's time has come.

foxtrot3d

Banned

With Hizdahr out of the picture, the chance of Daaron in the show seem somewhat more possible. I'm not sure why he would be killed if not to make Daenerys single again.

This is actually a good point, since Daario clearly isn't Euron he doesn't serve much point. He's ripe for the chopping block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom