• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you can be disappointed in a character's failings but it's better (e.g. more interesting) than them being silly shit mary sues. I don't get people sometimes.
At least thus far in the books and show even, she gets away with doing stupid stuff but suffers very little personal consequences unlike so many other characters in the series.

Pkaz01

Loved that they kept Lyanna's response to Stannis

and they nailed the reaction of Arya's character. She gets rejected so she spends the night saying the names, picks herself back up in the morning after taking a break and says fuck you guys then goes back to the grind.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The Jaqen = Kindly Man change is simply smart, effective adaptation and I can't see any reason someone would think otherwise other than book purism. It makes sense geographically and thematically and is effective for both readers and non-readers.

Which makes Varys' "She's the ruler that Westeros needs" sound even more laughable.

Varys believes she would be a just leader, which as of now is true. She is just not a tactical leader. This is where people like Varys, Tyrion, Selmy, Jorah are needed. It is just that as she has done more conquering she has started to listen less to their advice.

The book got taken and thrown into the fire really. It has now diverged so much it would be hard for someone to know whether something was a book spoiler or something new showrunners decided to do.
I'm ok with most of them, just not Brienne always being in close vicinity with Stark girls, Westeros is a big place!

So I don't like the fact that Jaime bangs Cersei post hand-hack in the TV show. I don't recall that happening in the books and imo it mars his redemption arc just a little.

Kettch

Holy shit. This must be the largest divergence from the books ever. Literally every scene and storyline outside of the Jon Snow election did not exist in the books. Even those which started up with some similarity had huge departures by the end. Pretty crazy. I guess this will be remember as the point where the books and show split completely.

Hopefully they do completely depart from the story here, so I can stop being disappointed. The one problem I had with this episode was how Jon's election had so little impact. It was hardly built up at all and then it was over, just pales in comparison to what was one of the great storyline resolutions in A Storm of Swords that had me wanting the next book so badly.

duckroll

Let's reimagine the scene where Dany executes the guy who killed the Son of the Harpy.

Dany = GRRM
Daario = The Showrunners
The Murderer = The Books
Masters = Show fans
Freed Slaves = Book fans
The Riot = Internet forums

Did he go to talk to Bronn in the books? I don't remember his crusade to bring home Myrcella, but maybe it's just been too long since ADWD.
All this stuff is new to the show.

It's a good change, IMO. Cuts out the utter tedium of his plod around the Riverlands, and is an effective way of dealing with all the new Dornish characters.
I like how Dany said the murderer deserved a trial but then doesn't give a trial to his murderer.
The guy confessed to the murder, unlike the Son of the Harpy.

Did he go to talk to Bronn in the books? I don't remember his crusade to bring home Myrcella, but maybe it's just been too long since ADWD.

No. Bronn has been gone for a bit in the books. The whole going to Dorne thing never happened in the books. Jaime goes to the Riverlands and deals with Edmure Tully.

Hopefully they do completely depart from the story here, so I can stop being disappointed. The one problem I had with this episode was how Jon's election had so little impact. It was hardly built up at all and then it was over, just pales in comparison to what was one of the great storyline resolutions in A Storm of Swords that had me wanting the next book so badly.

I seem to recall Tarly doing a TON of campaigning for Snow in the books over the course of many days (weeks?). Not a 2 minute speech in the mess hall.

No. Bronn has been gone for a bit in the books. The whole going to Dorne thing never happened in the books. Jaime goes to the Riverlands and deals with Edmure Tully.

Yes, I remember that now. I think he continued his sword and board practice on that journey too. Is this just filler bullshit until we get winds of winter? I hope not.

I don't think Mereen will be besieged. This conflict right here will be what tears this city apart.
Agreed
Hehehe nobody fucking likes Dany in the other thread.

#GoodNeoGAFposts
So, just like people feel about Dany in Dance. :p

--------------------

Good episode, agreed with others on this episode definitely feels like the point of adaption where the show is unquestionably it's own thing.
-The show in the first two episodes has smartly focused on the core arcs that work well in Feast/Dance, the ones about ruling. (Cersei in Kings Landing, Stannis and soon to be Jon in the North, and Meereen)
-Kevan was flames in the small council scene, that was great
-The only thing I'm kinda indifferent on is Brienne by chance running into the second Stark girl, but on the flip side of that what else are they going to do with Brienne at this point? Pod's hilarious clumsiness knows no limits, which is fun.

Unsullied:

I love Brienne, but they need to give her something to do in order for me to continue caring about her.

Watching her travel extreme distances just to get shut down and start over is getting really boring.

You have NO fucking idea.

Jon's stabbing...I'm guessing episode 10. I think D and D said the last scene was a book scene. That's all I can think of. Maybe Dany meeting the Dothraki?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
The dude who plays Qyburn is creepy as fuck, more so than I ever envisioned while reading the books. I love it.

Yeah, the lighting made him look so eerily menacing.

Plus...

fhaFMG8.jpg

I think they shortened the election because that is where the show has a lot to cover this season.
Yeah, a necessary omission at this point, although a shame to see it absent.
Jon's stabbing...I'm guessing episode 10. I think D and D said the last scene was a book scene. That's all I can think of. Maybe Dany meeting the Dothraki?
The White Raven scene is my bet for final scene.

dsp

I felt the same way when I was reading through it, but the show only has so much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom