• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really liked the change to Dany's plot. Meereen might just end up not being the shittiest arc ever.

Jaqen in the House makes way too much sense for the show to ignore it.

They really messed up the election, though. It felt so damn cheap.

X-Frame

Might be a different person wearing the same face.

Ohhhh, interesting! I like this idea, but then how would this Faceless Man know that Arya met whoever the Faceless Man was who was wearing the Jaqen face in order to gain her trust now? Unless there is something I am missing, it seems like this is the same person from before.

Kettch

I felt the same way when I was reading through it, but the show only has so much time.

Eh, the show has plenty of time, they just decide they want other things instead. Take the Jaime/Tyrion beetles conversation for instance. That was the perfect time to reintroduce the story of Tyrion's wife and setup the entire motivation for his imminent killing spree. Tyrion reminiscing about the past just before he's set to die, Jaime there who can be reminded of the guilt of what he'd done, setting up his confession. Instead we got a pointless scene for no reason and then one of the greatest moments in the series with no setup.

I don't think the show runners do a bad job really, it's just very clearly inferior. Hopefully as it goes on and I'm unable to compare the two, I'll be able to enjoy things more.

Varys believes she would be a just leader, which as of now is true. She is just not a tactical leader. This is where people like Varys, Tyrion, Selmy, Jorah are needed. It is just that as she has done more conquering she has started to listen less to their advice.

She is definitely not a just leader. Remember when she rounded up a hundred-something slave masters and executed them, just because some of them used their slaves as mile markers?

I really liked the change to Dany's plot. Meereen might just end up not being the shittiest arc ever.

Jaqen in the House makes way too much sense for the show to ignore it.

They really messed up the election, though. It felt so damn cheap.

What they should have done was not having the mission to Craster's Keep plot. Have Watcher on the Walls happen earlier season 4, and then had a proper build up to the election.

Ohhhh, interesting! I like this idea, but then how would this Faceless Man know that Arya met whoever the Faceless Man was who was wearing the Jaqen face in order to gain her trust now? Unless there is something I am missing, it seems like this is the same person from before.
Password and coin. Could that Faceless Man be this Faceless Man? It could be, but since everyone is no one, it doesn't really matter.

sk3

Banned
I figured part of the reason they are skipping LSH is because the audience may not take too well to back-from-the-dead characters, but if zombie mountain is going to show up that kind of throws that idea to the wind.

Brotherhood without Banners better show up at some point.

Pretty good episode, and seemed to cover the ground I would have expected the premier to. More interesting episode, definitely. The only thing I didn't like was Dorne. The introduction was too brief and felt very campy. I'm not one to make book comparisons buuut I will say that first Dorne chapter in AFFC is one of my top 5-10 chapters in the series. It's so evocative and vivid. Doran is a great character, and a great opportunity to the actor bringing him to life....depending on how the show handles him. I would have loved to see more of him, and an introduction of Doran's illness.

Wasn't a huge fan of Jon's election either...it didn't feel dramatic at all.

Bringing back Jaqen is perfect. The Kindly Man works for the book, but it makes perfect sense to use Jaqen instead for a visual medium like the show.

Bronn was awesome as usual. I'd bet money he'll die in Dorne, likely to save Jaime's life.

Sliver

Eh, the show has plenty of time, they just decide they want other things instead. Take the Jaime/Tyrion beetles conversation for instance. That was the perfect time to reintroduce the story of Tyrion's wife and setup the entire motivation for his imminent killing spree. Tyrion reminiscing about the past just before he's set to die, Jaime there who can be reminded of the guilt of what he'd done, setting up his confession. Instead we got a pointless scene for no reason and then one of the greatest moments in the series with no setup.

I don't think the show runners do a bad job really, it's just very clearly inferior. Hopefully as it goes on and I'm unable to compare the two, I'll be able to enjoy things more.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, exactly how I feel. I'm apprehensive to continue watching, since GRRM told these guys how the book series will end. Don't want the books spoiled by a show that isn't as good.

cj_iwakura

Kevan was fantastic in that small council scene too

Yep, definitely good stuff. Loved the episode overall. If this is how they'll be handling it from here on out, I'm all for it. Their changes seem like they'll make for far more enjoyable drama.

Well, excluding Brienne.

Oh, and Doran was great. Also in for more Bronn.

Kettch

Pretty good episode, and seemed to cover the ground I would have expected the premier to. More interesting episode, definitely. The only thing I didn't like was Dorne. The introduction was too brief and felt very campy. I'm not one to make book comparisons buuut I will say that first Dorne chapter in AFFC is one of my top 5-10 chapters in the series. It's so evocative and vivid. Doran is a great character, and a great opportunity to the actor bringing him to life....depending on how the show handles him. I would have loved to see more of him, and an introduction of Doran's illness.

Wasn't a huge fan of Jon's election either...it didn't feel dramatic at all.

Bringing back Jaqen is perfect. The Kindly Man works for the book, but it makes perfect sense to use Jaqen instead for a visual medium like the show.

Bronn was awesome as usual. I'd bet money he'll die in Dorne, likely to save Jaime's life.

I'm still quite optimistic about the Dorne material. Arianne wasn't really a key character to me, so I'm perfectly fine with Ellaria taking her place. We still have the whole introduction of the Sand Snakes to come, so hopefully that'll breathe some life into the area.

Don't know how I feel about merging Jaime's story into it. I'm sad that we'll be losing probably my favorite line from the book "With a trebuchet." But we'll see. It could work out. At the very least, more Jaime/Bronn conversations can't be a bad thing, those actors have done a spectacular job with their characters.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I'm afraid this will end up happening, but I'd much rather see Bronn take on a Darkstar-ish role instead and sabotage Jamie's mission in some way. I just don't like the idea of him having a heroic ending where he defends the hero...this is the guy who admitted he'll do just about anything for the right amount of money. He's a dangerous and deeply amoral person and I'd rather see that reinforced than for him to have some form of redemption.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Finally caught up on the last two episodes and preferred the first over the second. Sansa's attitude has definitely changed and I am not sure how they can keep her momentum with it this season, based on knowing where she is headed. I have no idea what they are doing with Brienne, how is chasing after Sansa going to help at all, if you already got rejected. I think the election was pretty terrible. I think the Dorne intro could have gone better, especially with giving them a location on the opening map, maybe after they get rid of the eyrie. I do like the King's Landing plot, and how they got Bronn to join the journey. I think Tyrion is succesfully shown how he doesnt give a shit, which I was worried about. Danaerys plot is...odd. I don't know if I liked it or not yet. Arya's plot felt drawn out.

dsp

I don't disagree with you when it comes to the story of Tyrion's wife. Tyrion's current attitude in the show would make a lot more sense too 'cause right now it's a bit pathetic. The show has not done well with Jaimie's story over the last two seasons, either. But I don't think you can compare completely cutting that scene between Tyrion and Jaimie in the books to speeding up the election in the show. I would have liked to have seen the election take place the same way it does in the books, but I don't think it's a big deal unless there's a bunch of filler at The Wall throughout the rest of the season... then they definitely fucked up.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm afraid this will end up happening, but I'd much rather see Bronn take on a Darkstar-ish role instead and sabotage Jamie's mission in some way. I just don't like the idea of him having a heroic ending where he defends the hero...this is the guy who admitted he'll do just about anything for the right amount of money. He's a dangerous and deeply amoral person and I'd rather see that reinforced than for him to have some form of redemption.
Yeah, I'd love for Bronn to betray Jaime and have Jaime get the better of him by pure luck.

She is definitely not a just leader. Remember when she rounded up a hundred-something slave masters and executed them, just because some of them used their slaves as mile markers?

The scene where Hizdar pointed out the blatant hypocrisy and viciousness of that act, which likely helped spur the Harpy movement in the first place, highlighted just how green and shortsighted she is as a ruler. As much as she and her claim have been carried by GRRM, she has yet to convince me that she's truly capable of running Westeros after she conquers it.

Patriots7

Finally caught up on the last two episodes and preferred the first over the second. Sansa's attitude has definitely changed and I am not sure how they can keep her momentum with it this season, based on knowing where she is headed. I have no idea what they are doing with Brienne, how is chasing after Sansa going to help at all, if you already got rejected. I think the election was pretty terrible. I think the Dorne intro could have gone better, especially with giving them a location on the opening map, maybe after they get rid of the eyrie. I do like the King's Landing plot, and how they got Bronn to join the journey. I think Tyrion is succesfully shown how he doesnt give a shit, which I was worried about. Danaerys plot is...odd. I don't know if I liked it or not yet. Arya's plot felt drawn out.
I imagine that Brienne will save Sansa, likely dying in the process.

For some reason, the show seems gungho on making Sansa a victim again.

I imagine that Brienne will save Sansa, likely dying in the process.

For some reason, the show seems gungho on making Sansa a victim again.

I'm terrified that all she'll have left is vengeance against the Mannis.

Yep, definitely good stuff. Loved the episode overall. If this is how they'll be handling it from here on out, I'm all for it. Their changes seem like they'll make for far more enjoyable drama.

Well, excluding Brienne.

Oh, and Doran was great. Also in for more Bronn.

Sorry, double post, but man Doran has way more willpower than I ever would. I'd be DYING to spill the beans on my master plan to someone, especially to shut someone up who's ripping on me at the time.

dsp

Christ, for some reason I've never even thought about how she feels about Stannis, at least not since Renly's death. That's definitely a path her character could be taking in the show. I hope not.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Christ, for some reason I've never even thought about how she feels about Stannis, at least not since Renly's death. That's definitely a path her character could be taking in the show. I hope not.

I can't see her living long enough for that.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I just had a thought that D&D speeding through Brienne's story is just so that they can make her LSH, but that's way too out there. Would kind of make sense if Jaime ever goes to the Riverlands to "tie up loose ends." and they encounter each other again.

I just want a Frey killing machine somewhere...

Speevy

Banned
Someone refresh my show memory because it's a little hazy.

What interaction (on the show) has Arya had with Meryn Trant? What has she even heard about him?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Sorry, double post, but man Doran has way more willpower than I ever would. I'd be DYING to spill the beans on my master plan to someone, especially to shut someone up who's ripping on me at the time.

In the books, by the end of ADWD, I had originally forgot that she had wanted to do that and figured she was over it, and had moved on to more important things. Where in the show...I am afraid they will actually have this happen.

Also Arya only says four names now: Cersei, The Mountain, Meryn Trant, and added Walder Frey. No Tywin, The Red Woman, Thoros of Myr or Beric Dondarrion.

Someone refresh my show memory because it's a little hazy.

What interaction (on the show) has Arya had with Meryn Trant? What has she even heard about him?
Killed Syrio

Szeth

I know if the fetch me a block line is in or not because a legitimate critic (Terri Schwartz) talked about the line on a podcast I listen to but I don't even want to say behind spoiler tags for fear of bans. Stupid leak!! :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom