• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. I'm kind of bummed he's leaving. Which is the same feeling I had when I realized he was the epilogue character in ADWD lol. Damn.

I mean, in the books Cersei finds out he's returned and is running things only after she's released from imprisonment and does her walk of shame. I'm sure he'll be back later this season.
Brienne/Pod are going replace Mance/Spearwives as Sansa's rescue party in Winterfell.
Oh man that would be something.

That Dorne scene was very cheesy. Ellaria's lines were awful

I enjoyed the rest of the episode

What I find interesting about it is that Ellaria doesn't seem to be adopting Arianne's plot from AFFC to put Myrcella on the throne - instead, she seems to straight-up want Myrcella dead.

Given that we don't seem to be getting a Quentyn as far as anyone can tell, it makes me wonder if Doran's big plan is going to be that original idea of putting Myrcella forward as the legitimate heir under Dornish law. After Quentyn's fate at the end of ADWD, I strongly suspect that the Dornish will end up falling back on some variation of that plan in the books as well.

Hissing is never not funny.

And I'd rather watch Bronn take over House Stokeworth than him going to Dorne and standing in for Arys Oakheart, or whatever they're going to do with him there.

I didn't really like the idea of bringing Jaqen back, but whatever, it works here.

Show Brienne has all the luck, shame that no Stark girls wants shit to do with her.

Glad to see they're showing how fucking stupid Dany is.

edit:

Siddiq was great as Doran. Not really buying Ellaria's role in all this. Wonder how cheesy the Sand Snakes are going to come off as.

Speevy

Banned
Hissing is great if you're having a contest to see who can be the best snake.

The freed slaves know only "Miyhsa", "Kill the masters.", and "Ssssssssss."

Shireen will have to teach them more words.

LordCanti

What I find interesting about it is that Ellaria doesn't seem to be adopting Arianne's plot from AFFC to put Myrcella on the throne - instead, she seems to straight-up want Myrcella dead.

Given that we don't seem to be getting a Quentyn as far as anyone can tell, it makes me wonder if Doran's big plan is going to be that original idea of putting Myrcella forward as the legitimate heir under Dornish law. After Quentyn's fate at the end of ADWD, I strongly suspect that the Dornish will end up falling back on some variation of that plan in the books as well.

It would make more sense for them to throw their support behind Dany and for the big reveal to be Dorne having sent forces to aid her. I don't think there's a single house in Westeros that would support Dorne trying to put Myrcella on the throne over Tommen and Dorne certainly couldn't do it alone.

Gila

Fucking Cersei, this entire time I've been pronouncing Prince Doran as Doh-ran not Dur-ann

It's gonna annoy me everytime they say it now

Jigorath

Banned
TV viewers turning on Danaerys? I never thought I would live to see the day.

Anyways, pretty good episode. Jon's election didn't feel as dramatic as it should have. Jaqen reveal was fun. Doran is fucking cool. Ellaria is going to suuuuuuuuck. Shireen is still cute as a button. Jaime and Bronn going on a mission to Dorne is gonna be a lot more fun to watch than Jaime's Riverlands plot, I'm happy they changed it.

No idea what they're going to do with Brienne this season if neither Stark girl wants anything to do with her. Kill Stannis? No, they said no major plot points from Winds is going to be spoiled this season. They should have just had her stick around in King's Landing last season. That way she can go on the Dorne mission with Jaime and Bronn. Bring Podrick along too. That would have been a fun time. Maybe she'll run into Rickon. I mean she's already run into both Sansa and Arya by complete chance. Finding Rickon might not be too far fetched at this point.

Speevy

Banned
They should do the Dornish scenes like that MAD TV skit for the Spanish soap opera. Picture this in those ridiculous accents, and Indira Varma slinking about the hallway, looking back at Doran with the most devious grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0aFNxutE

Ellaria: War...

Doran: Peace...

Ellaria: Oberyn...

Doran: Brother...

Ellaria: Myrcella...

Doran: Chid...

Ellaria: Revenge...

Doran: Leave...

Moff

back when we heard that wlashiha was cast again the idea was brought up he might be the kindly man and I admired that idea, because wlashiha did a stellar job as jaqen.
but now that I saw it he just felt out of place, it makes the faceless men feel so much smaller. however, I still love his performance so I am not sure if I like it.

Speevy

Banned
I definitely think they're gonna kill Bronn now that he's been taken from his book storyline with the promise of this "bigger castle".

It seems an unlikely proposition that he could have a happy ending after putting himself i harm's way one more time.

I definitely think they're gonna kill Bronn now that he's been taken from his book storyline with the promise of this "bigger castle".

It seems an unlikely proposition that he could have a happy ending after putting himself i harm's way one more time.
They better save him until Tyrion returns to Westeros and bro-up.

I'm a fan of the theory posted earlier in the thread that he's going to end up being a replacement for Darkstar - basically, just have him working for whoever Darkstar is working for.

suzu

I didn't think about this until some of you speculated, but dammit if Brienne screws shit up in the North..

Looking forward to Bronn's quips. He's so going to die. :(

Kevan's cool. I enjoyed the small council scene. Not now Mace.

So happy to see Jaqen again.

Shireen is adorable.

Haha... Oh, Dany. What was up with the hissing though?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't know why you people think that Kevan small council scene was any good, book Kevan would NEVER do that. Keven doesn't like Cercei in power and thinks she's pretty terrible at pretty much everything but he wouldn't insult and debase her in public. Doing such a thing would only hurt the Lannister family.

I wonder if Brienne's gonna go to Winterfell, go to the Wall, meet up with Stannis's forces in between, or give up and head south (if they want to have her eventually re-intersect with Jaime as in the books and maybe run into the Brotherhood). She's kind of a total wildcard at this point.

I don't know why you people think that Kevan small council scene was any good, book Kevan would NEVER do that. Keven doesn't like Cercei in power and thinks she's pretty terrible at pretty much everything but he wouldn't insult and debase her in public. Doing such a thing would only hurt the Lannister family.

The writers of this show don't pay that level of attention to the details.

Speevy

Banned

I think that was sort of a "Tywin knew what you are." moment for the show. Kevan spent time in war tents with Tywin, getting berated for indecision and foolishness.

He passes that along to Cersei because he knows that the Lannister family's future is at stake, and it's being presided over by a person who has no idea what she's doing.

I'll take any scene of someone putting Cersei in her place.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if Brienne's gonna go to Winterfell, go to the Wall, meet up with Stannis's forces in between, or give up and head south (if they want to have her eventually re-intersect with Jaime as in the books and maybe run into the Brotherhood). She's kind of a total wildcard at this point.

She'll try to find one of the Stark direwolves next in the hope that she can swear an oath to it.

Perfect quote from the non spoiler thread about tonight's episode:

I love Brienne, but they need to give her something to do in order for me to continue caring about her.

Watching her travel extreme distances just to get shut down and start over is getting really boring.

Sums up AFFC pretty well. Kind of amazed that this season of harsh cuts left in an alternative take on one of the most criticised story arcs.

Kuroyume

Banned
The only thing I like that they're doing is that they're giving Bronn something to do. That at maybe some Qyburn. Really wish they would do the torture scene with him.

Hate how they've represented Dorne on the show. So bland relative to what I imagined it to be. Visually I feel the seveon kingdoms are starting to feel to repetitive.

Just not really feeling much of anything this season so far...

TTG

Mareen's divisiveness and plight are just as irrelevant and clunky on the show as it was in the books. Everything else was good though, better than the premier.

Also, I like the change of plans for Jaime. Don't even remember what he was doing in the books, so this seems cool.

Mareen's divisiveness and plight are just as irrelevant and clunky on the show as it was in the books. Everything else was good though, better than the premier.

Also, I like the change of plans for Jaime. Don't even remember what he was doing in the books, so this seems cool.

Jaime goes on a failed redemption tour after he decides to actually respect his vows, turns down the Hand of the King appointment, and has a falling out with Cersei. He solves problems but no one respects him for it.

Moff

in public? how is the small council public?
tywin did the same thing didnt he?

look, one of the biggest problems of AFFC and ADWD is the lack of a strong opponent, a charismatic leader of the bad guys. GRRM was not able to fill the void tywin left. and obviously D&D are trying to do exactly that to a certain degree with kevan, and I loved the small council scene.

foxtrot3d

Banned
in public? how is the small council public?
tywin did the same thing didnt he?

look, one of the biggest problems of AFFC and ADWD is the lack of a strong opponent, a charismatic leader of the bad guys. GRRM was not able to fill the void tywin left. and obviously D&D are trying to do exactly that to a certain degree with kevan, and I loved the small council scene.

No, Tywin only ever properly chastised his children in private like he should. With Tywin dead the Lannister enemies are only closing in, like the Tyrells, showing open distension within Lannister ranks could only serve to weaken them. Hence why book Kevan also only chastised Cercei in private and kept his mouth shut in public.

Speevy

Banned
No, Tywin only ever properly chastised his children in private like he should. With Tywin dead the Lannister enemies are only closing in, like the Tyrells, showing open distension within Lannister ranks could only serve to weaken them. Hence why book Kevan also only chastised Cercei in private and kept his mouth shut in public.

I don't think he cares what the people at that table think. Nobody really cares what the people at that table think, so it doesn't make the Lannisters look any worse than they already do.

As a matter of fact, Kevan is right. Cersei has surrounded herself with people who are only there to do exactly what she says at all times.

Moff

I'm pretty sure there were several scenes where tywin chastised his family on the small council, he even sent joffrey to bed.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, once you're someone's uncle and you watched them grow up, it's pretty hard to be their subordinate.

Of course, that doesn't mean Kevan is safe from death.

duckroll

It's the small council. It's basically in private. The only people in that room are people who are eager to suck Lannister cock to have a favorable position in the capital anyway. Anyone who actually has self respect or is capable or commands any sort of power in the larger world has been chased away from the administration. Lol.

Mxrz

TV Bronn is the sort of character I could see sticking around to the end. He's just too honest. Although seeing him go up against Sir Strong or whatever would be humorous given what he said about the Mountain.

I really don't think Kevan's likely to be a big antagonist at this point.

Agreed that it hurts the books a bit not to have a major antagonist, but I think a major theme of AFFC/ADWD is more that it's about everyone sort of turning on each other.

(Also, Littlefinger and the Boltons are both pretty good as far as antagonist characters are concerned, IMO.)

hydruxo

The damage has already been done to the Lannister family, they've been at odds with each other for a while now. There's really nothing that Kevan can say to Cersei that will make a difference to their image in Westeros. I wouldn't really consider the small council as being in public either. Pycelle is the only one who was there who might spread some rumors, but nobody really cares about what Pycelle has to say anyways. Mace is Mace...he's too caught up in the newness of being on the council and being gullible to do anything, and Qyburn is there because of Cersei. So all that being said, I think having Kevan chastise Cersei was the right move.

Brakke

Banned
[...]

The Lord Commander election was lame, but the entire Night's Watch/Wall section of the story has been bungled so badly, since at least half way though season two, that I honestly can't muster any shits to give in regards to how things do or don't play out. I think that that side of the story is beyond recovery, at this point.

[...]

I feel ya on everything in this post. I was particularly thinking about the election. On the one hand, Sam slaying Janos went over real well with my friends on viewing. And also, like, Jon becoming Lord Commander was totally obvious to everyone for so long. So I don't think it was "bungled" so much as it was rote.

The situation at the Wall is weird. It's like the situation in Meereen, I think. It's clear to everyone that Dany is a big deal and most people figure Jon matters but both of those threads are pretty limp. They need to up the stakes beyond the Wall or just say out loud "by the way Jon is a Targaryen and that matters!!". Even when Dany is boring you can always fall back on "hey but she has Dragons so". Who gives a shit about the Watch? It's like a hundred people. Jon is the king of the shittiest hill and now that he's denied the Stark name the dude is totally inconsequential in the drama of the show.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The damage has already been done to the Lannister family, they've been at odds with each other for a while now. There's really nothing that Kevan can say to Cersei that will make a difference to their image in Westeros. I wouldn't really consider the small council as being in public either. Pycelle is the only one who was there who might spread some rumors, but nobody really cares about what Pycelle has to say anyways. Mace is Mace...he's too caught up in the newness of being on the council and being gullible to do anything, and Qyburn is there because of Cersei. So all that being said, I think having Kevan chastise Cersei was the right move.

Another change I don't like, I really hope that Mace Tyrell is just playing at being the blubbering fool and that D&D haven't actually written him that way. He's no idiot in the books and despite what others think knows what he is doing and is all about grabbing as much power as he can.

Zolo

Another change I don't like, I really hope that Mace Tyrell is just playing at being the blubbering fool and that D&D haven't actually written him that way. He's no idiot in the books and despite what others think knows what he is doing and is all about grabbing as much power as he can.

He obviously is. It puts an emphasis on how much smarter Olenna and Margaery are in contrast to make things more simple on TV. It's kinda like how in a disney sit-com, they give the main character a dumb best friend to make the main character look better in contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom