• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtYNyPb.jpg

SNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

nitewulf

there is no way GRRM is happy with these divergences from the books, but its all his fault. did he ever express his views?

why the fuck did they kill of ser barristan? how does that make any sense?

and Stannis' last move? come on, Stannis would NEVER do that.

Faddy

Banned
Someone wrote an essay analyzing Stannis as a military commander. It's lengthy, but a good read. Stannis is probably the best military commander in the series. Not Show Stannis though, Show Stannis is a fucking moron.

He sat on his arse at Storms End. Davos was the hero.
He met Renly when he was vastly outnumbered, shadow baby creation isn't really a military matter
He sailed into a trap at Blackwater failing to land his ships
He was stopped at the gates by a dwarf with no battle experience
He lingered too long at Castle Black meaning he was trapped in the snows

His victory at Dragonstone was inevitable as the Targaryen loyalists were already fleeing so his victory in the Iron Islands is his only solid win. Routing a wilding army is no real victory. Jeor Mormont was convinced he could take them with 300 good men.

Jigorath

Banned
He met Renly when he was vastly outnumbered, shadow baby creation isn't really a military matter

His victory at Dragonstone was inevitable as the Targaryen loyalists were already fleeing so his victory in the Iron Islands is his only solid win. Routing a wilding army is no real victory. Jeor Mormont was convinced he could take them with 300 good men.

I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say you didn't bother reading the essay I linked.

No mention of him outwitting the Iron Fleet I see...

ZeroRay

Complaints aside, I would love 20 good men to ravage my camp. ;)

This next episode is gonna be pretty interesting. It'll give us a clearer picture on how they'll continue the show. If they have Dany encounter Dothraki, then they're actually going to be more faithful to her continued storyline than I expected. Pretty sure Jon's stabbing might be the culmination. Can't think of another scene from the books to end the season on.

If you have to go for "human nature" and "sometimes people are lucky in real life" to defend this, then lol.

That's a strong straw man you are arguing with.

This story is an epic tale of heros/heroines and fantasy. On some level not everything is going to be realistic. It's an epic tale because it has epic occurrences in it. People want a story where the hero sometimes overcomes incredible odds. It's part of the heros journey. So the "sometimes people get lucky" is really about telling a story of heros facing overwhelming odds and still choosing to fight and (perhaps) becoming victorious.

Does that mean that there's not critiques to be leveled? Of course not. But to declare that a story can't have unlikely situations happen is equally ridiculous. Unlikely things happen every day. Sometimes they happen in stories too...

Speevy

Banned
Think about all the show-invented memes and meta-games these threads have inspired.

-Face Tyrell
-Olly the Slayer
-Karl Tanner the Fookin' Legend of Gin Alley
-Ironborn afraid of dogs
-Don't give up on the gravy.
-I'm gonna eat every fuckin' chicken in this room.
-Ramsay "20 Good Men" Bolton
-Daario is Euron
-Renly is not right.
-Loras "Gay Sex Every Night" Tyrell
-Ros who is in every scene for no damn reason until her death
-Stannis the Mannis, the grammar nazi, the child killer
-Margaery's astronaut suit
-Sexposition
-Arya wanting some of Gendry's fine ass.
-Littlefinger can teleport anywhere that takes everyone else months.
-Jon does nothing but brood.
-Ygritte's ridiculous accent.
-Littlefinger's sideways face, twirly mustache demeanor, always plotting to betray everyone including himself.

The list goes on and on.

Brakke

Banned
No, the night's watch is an established order that swears that they will take no part in the politics of the seven kingdoms. However, by default they respect the rule of the king in power, which means they do not actively oppose it.

Jon Snow is actively opposing the rule of a sitting king in possible exchange for future political favor. The only difference is that now Stannis is not at Castle Black to shield Jon from his own men.

So I ask again. How is Jon Snow now not both a night's watch oathbreaker and a traitor to the crown if he helps Stannis?

He's not beholden to the crown though. If he's not supposed to take part in the politics of the Kingdoms, then it's not on him to actively oppose Stannis, either. His priority should clearly be to preserve the Watch in pursuit of his vow to shield the realms of men. The Watch only cares about "treason" insofar as they don't want the King to wipe them out and they do want the King to support them by sending men up to the Wall. If the Lannisters are neglecting to contribute men and they obviously aren't about to march up and wipe out the Watch, then what's it matter he offers some minor support to Stannis who supported him in fulfilling his oath to the Watch?

You're using the word "oathbreaker" but nothing he's done so far breaks any part of the oath. Only when (if) he decides to ride off to Winterfell is there a problem, as he breaks his oath to live and die at his post.

Think about all the show-invented memes and meta-games these threads have inspired.

-Face Tyrell
-Olly the Slayer
-Karl Tanner the Fookin' Legend of Gin Alley
-Ironborn afraid of dogs
-Don't give up on the gravy.
-I'm gonna eat every fuckin' chicken in this room.
-Ramsay "20 Good Men" Bolton
-Daario is Euron
-Renly is not right.
-Loras "Gay Sex Every Night" Tyrell
-Ros who is in every scene for no damn reason until her death
-Stannis the Mannis, the grammar nazi, the child killer
-Margaery's astronaut suit
-Sexposition
-Arya wanting some of Gendry's fine ass.
-Littlefinger can teleport anywhere that takes everyone else months.
-Jon does nothing but brood.
-Ygritte's ridiculous accent.
-Littlefinger's sideways face, twirly mustache demeanor, always plotting to betray everyone including himself.

The list goes on and on.

I hereby vote Stannis the Mannis is changed to Stannis the Menace. After that shit no going back.

there is no way GRRM is happy with these divergences from the books, but its all his fault. did he ever express his views?

Basic answer: It was deemed more important that Tyrion and Jorah get to her before season 7. Damn shame they didn't give Barristan a more interesting end.

-Face Tyrell
The only one that matters. The one true king.

#TEAMMACETYRELL

--------------

Oh my, HBO finally replaced their flash hellhole of a website!

Kinda sucks but after last week I have to tap out of this thread. There was no way I could not be spoiled Sunday morning browsing through. People were just openly discussing spoilers with spotty tagging.

I've read all the books but still really love the show!

Guess I'll just have to lurk the book thread to get unspoiled reactions :( (even though at this point book readers don't even know what's going to happen next!)

Euron

Guys...next episode what if:

-Arya kills Meryn Trant
-Jaqen scolds her for it
-Arya tells him it was because he killed Syrio Forel The First Sword of Braavos
-Jaqen reveals that he and Syrio are one in the same, and had the goal of finding Arya the whole time
-They hug while emotional music plays. The scene is beautiful.
-Cut to Jon being stabbed to death by Olly

Kinda sucks but after last week I have to tap out of this thread. There was no way I could not be spoiled Sunday morning browsing through. People were just openly discussing spoilers with spotty tagging.

I've read all the books but still really love the show!

Guess I'll just have to lurk the book thread to get unspoiled reactions :( (even though at this point book readers don't even know what's going to happen next!)

I agree that discussion of the shireen thing fucking sucked. Some of it was tagged, some of it not really, and some of it was indirectly referring to the event but not tagged (extensive discussion of whether the event was character appropriate for Stannis or not).

ZeroRay

That's a strong straw man you are arguing with.

This story is an epic tale of heros/heroines and fantasy. On some level not everything is going to be realistic. It's an epic tale because it has epic occurrences in it. People want a story where the hero sometimes overcomes incredible odds. It's part of the heros journey. So the "sometimes people get lucky" is really about telling a story of heros facing overwhelming odds and still choosing to fight and (perhaps) becoming victorious.

Does that mean that there's not critiques to be leveled? Of course not. But to declare that a story can't have unlikely situations happen is equally ridiculous. Unlikely things happen every day. Sometimes they happen in stories too...

I mean, there is unlikely, and there's immersion breaking. The Ramsay raid would never go down in ASOIAF and that's always going to cloud my vision, even if it's allowable within the logical framework (lol) set by Game of Thrones.

I didn't have problems with contrivances going Walt's way in Breaking Bad because they established the show as a pulpy, westernesque drama from the beginning.

Once again, my vision of ASOIAF is definitely scrutinizing the show more than casual viewers would, but I feel it fits the MO of this season of getting to "big events" by any means necessary, without the good buildup to back it up.

foxtrot3d

Banned

C'mon dude we are so passed that now. Also, now that we've seen nearly all the episodes it was the right call. Now that Tyrion and Jorah have met back up with Dany their is no point to having him around for the show. There would be no way to give every "adviser" sufficient screen time with Barristan also still around. Hell, Daario finally got to say and do some stuff that was relevant last episode.

I mean, there is unlikely, and there's immersion breaking. The Ramsay raid would never go down in ASOIAF and that's always going to cloud my vision, even if it's allowable within the logical framework (lol) set by Game of Thrones.

I didn't have problems with contrivances going Walt's way in Breaking Bad because they established the show as a pulpy, westernesque drama from the beginning.

Once again, my vision of ASOIAF is definitely scrutinizing the show more than casual viewers would, but I feel it fits the MO of this season of getting to "big events" by any means necessary, without the good buildup to back it up.

I can absolutely respect that. I think there is a need perspective shift though of what the book world is able to do and what the show world is able to do. There are many casual viewers and not many casual readers. The show is going to be dumbed down and is required to be to be successful at all. It's not ideal, but it's the hand we are dealt with a show like this.

For me I'm ok with this level of unrealism in the show. I mean, sure, if John snow surfs down a staircase on a shield or we have Dany and her gang going down a river in barrels, I'm going to be pissed. But right now, the events that have happened can and do happen in real situations, so I am ok with it happening.

Sean C

Routing a wilding army is no real victory. Jeor Mormont was convinced he could take them with 300 good men.
Mormont was an idiot, seeing as the Wildlings historically go toe-to-toe with the Night's Watch and Northern armies.

I'm surprised that people seem to think that Robb was running a great military campaign or trying to liken him to a great military leader. There always seemed to be a significant amount of luck and chance on his campaign's side, which was primarily brought about because of the Lannister's being unable to commit fully to the campaign against Robb while dealing with all of the other political and military turmoil. Robb has always been more of a creation of circumstances to me than some military wonderkind.
The Lannisters were fully committed against Robb; their armies never moved to fight anyone else. Robb's reputation as a great leader is based on his having annihilated two of the three armies the Lannisters raised against him while taking minimal losses. He had luck in places, to be sure, but the ultimate Lannister victory was pretty much purely based on luck too.

SpaceHorror

So GRRM discussed the show Night's King a bit in the comment section of his blog, if a bit indirectly. He even kind of criticizes the show's version, if only by stating his preference:

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

Thought about including spoilers, but as GRRM mentioned it openly on his blog, ah, to hell with it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So GRRM discussed the show Night's King a bit in the comment section of his blog, if a bit indirectly. He even kind of criticizes the show's version, if only by stating his preference:

Thought about including spoilers, but as GRRM mentioned it openly on his blog, ah, to hell with it.

You're late bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom