• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

I have some bad news for you :(
Oh, I am aware. I think that's what got people riled up. In the unlikely event that book Stannis also murders Shireen, it will probably at least make more sense and garner a completely different kind of reaction from readers.

Kard8p3

What else can he do? He can only tell them what he has planned at that moment in time. The fact that the story changes as he's writing is a good thing. It's the reason we didn't end up with the Jon Snow/Arya/Tyrion love triangle.

Was that actually a thing or are you making a joke? lol

Speevy

Banned
No father who truly loves his daughter would burn her, but any man who would burn innocents is no one you'd want as a king.

I think D&D thought you needed a bludgeoning reminder of this.

munchie64

Oh, I am aware. I think that's what got people riled up.
Haha yeah, I was joking :p
Personally I see it as pretty natural, but it seems the majority think differently. I would've like it to be more gradual though. Like Melly brining it up episode 1 or something.

Speevy

Banned
Pretty much all the kings or queens kill or burn innocent people in this series.

Just kings

-Robb (king in the north)
-Renly
-Tommen (soon to be dead I'm sure)

The point is that Stannis' confidence and leadership made him more appealing. The writers thought we needed a reminder of what happens when Stannis' devotion to the red woman goes too far.

It was just poorly plotted, contrived, and unnecessarily brutal. If it means anything though, there's probably a good reason why they didn't have Melisandre sacrifice Shireen against her king's wishes. And don't say she always does what Stannis commands because she tried to fuck Jon.

Ratrat

No father who truly loves his daughter would burn her, but any man who would burn innocents is no one you'd want as a king.

So they just wanted Brienne to kill him without the audience turning on Brienne. Or something.

munchie64

So the numbers were higher than every episode since the premiere right? (Talking first airing of course)

It's probably because of Hardhome, will be interesting to see if the finale can hold it.

Moff

I find it hard to believe he hasn't written that yet or at least hasnt made the decision if stannis does it himself or if it happens behind his back a long time ago.
I absolutely understand that he does not want to give away plots about his own book because of fan questions, though.

I certainly hope he doesn't change his ideas and plots because of salty fan reactions.

Iksenpets

Banned

If it actually is Stannis who burns Shireen, it would kind of make sense that this would maybe be a scene from pretty late in Winds that he hasn't written yet. If he needs to get Stannis to the point where he'd do that, it probably would take a whole book of development. Maybe D&D just moved it up since they want to end the Stannis story early.

Turin

Banned
Been waiting for leaks that something interesting might happen.

Stabbing Jon will feel weirdly anti-climactic but it'll break the internet nonetheless.

Madness

I find it hard to believe he hasn't written that yet or at least hasnt made the decision if stannis does it himself or if it happens behind his back a long time ago.
I absolutely understand that he does not want to give away plots about his own book because of fan questions, though.

I certainly hope he doesn't change his ideas and plots because of salty fan reactions.

George Lucas did this with the Star Wars prequels. The removal of Jar Jar Binks to only cameo character status, adding in Qui-Gon voice only because fans complained his body hadn't vanished in Phantom much like Obi-Wan. The most egregious was Revenge of the Sith where he added in all sorts of things to tie up loose ends and to answer what the fans complained about.

JK Rowling did the same. Everyone wanted her to answer who Grindelwald was (random character she made initially), demanded to know the importance of Dumbledore receiving the invisibility cloak, why no magic worked on it so she made up these Deathly Hallows etc. Every creator gets inevitably influenced by fans and in some cases, what precedes their work. There is no way GRRM won't have what the show has done, how fans reacted to the events clouding his judgment as he's writing, even subconsciously. 'They hated Sansa rape in show, maybe she doesn't get raped by Littlefinger now', 'Margaery has become a fan favorite, maybe I'll give her a much larger role' etc.

Ushay

If I remember correctly, D&D sat and spoke with GRRM and he told them what is going to happen in 'broad strokes' .. the Shireen thing is likely one of those things they decided to include this season despite it not being penned just yet.

Total speculation of course.

Moff

George Lucas did this with the Star Wars prequels. The removal of Jar Jar Binks to only cameo character status, adding in Qui-Gon voice only because fans complained his body hadn't vanished in Phantom much like Obi-Wan. The most egregious was Revenge of the Sith where he added in all sorts of things to tie up loose ends and to answer what the fans complained about.

JK Rowling did the same. Everyone wanted her to answer who Grindelwald was (random character she made initially), demanded to know the importance of Dumbledore receiving the invisibility cloak, why no magic worked on it so she made up these Deathly Hallows etc. Every creator gets inevitably influenced by fans and in some cases, what precedes their work. There is no way GRRM won't have what the show has done, how fans reacted to the events clouding his judgment as he's writing, even subconsciously. 'They hated Sansa rape in show, maybe she doesn't get raped by Littlefinger now', 'Margaery has become a fan favorite, maybe I'll give her a much larger role' etc.

I'm fine with most of these examples. I am also fine with GRRM giving more importance to osha because he liked the actress. what I am not fine with is that if he had it already made up in his mind (or already written down) that stannis indeed is the one making that decision and now changes it because of fan reaction. it would really be a bit like using the show as a beta test for his story and that's a bit different than your examples.
apart from that, I still believe it's a very interesting plot to confront stannis with such a decision, do the ultimate sacrfifice or have everyone die. I think it's good writing.
and if he would change it now to happen behind stannis' back because of salty fans would just be a cheap way out.

duckroll

GRRM has given no indication that he's changing anything. He just does not care to participate in speculation about events which have not happened in the books yet. I don't think it is hard to see where he's coming from.

NeoGiff

Why are we complaining about Ramsay's abilities? He's clearly a witcher.

The first evidence for this was back in season 4, when he used Quen to survive shirtless against the Iron Islands' Fifty Best Killas®. He has continually buffed up Axii due to having to keep Reek in line (we'll get back to this in a moment). He ploughs Sansa because that's what witchers do. Then this season he assembled Twenty Good Men® - a merry band for the ages, I'm sure you'll agree. After slurping down a healthy dose of Cat, Ramsay made a cleared a path to Stannis' camp using Aard. He then used his buffed up Axii combined with a mutagen to confuse the guards. After looting a ham sandwich or two for the journey home, he proceeded to plant Dragon's Dream bombs randomly around the camp, before igniting them with a healthy burst of Igni. Finally, all the horses were obviously related to Roach due to their unreliability and sudden random disappearances.

Ushay

Why are we complaining about Ramsay's abilities? He's clearly a witcher.

The first evidence for this was back in season 4, when he used Quen to survive shirtless against the Iron Islands' Fifty Best Killas®. He has continually buffed up Axii due to having to keep Reek in line (we'll get back to this in a moment). He ploughs Sansa because that's what witchers do. Then this season he assembled Twenty Good Men® - a merry band for the ages, I'm sure you'll agree. After slurping down a healthy dose of Cat, Ramsay made a cleared a path to Stannis' camp using Aard. He then used his buffed up Axii combined with a mutagen to confuse the guards. After looting a ham sandwich or two for the journey home, he proceeded to plant Dragon's Dream bombs randomly around the camp, before igniting them with a healthy burst of Igni. Finally, all the horses were obviously related to Roach due to their unreliability and sudden random disappearances.

This is brilliant, Ramsay the Witcher. Seriously though I despise the luck some characters carry in this show.

Kyougar

What else can he do? He can only tell them what he has planned at that moment in time. The fact that the story changes as he's writing is a good thing. It's the reason we didn't end up with the Jon Snow/Arya/Tyrion love triangle.

to be fair, at that Point, Tyrion probably wasnt a dwarf and had all the characteristics of Jaime

to be fair, at that Point, Tyrion probably wasnt a dwarf and had all the characteristics of Jaime

Yeah, that makes the most sense. Reading through the outline Tyrion was originally a murder machine. Not that he isn't somewhat of a murder machine in the actual books, but he's taking people on left and right in direct combat.

Yeah, that makes the most sense. Reading through the outline Tyrion was originally a murder machine. Not that he isn't somewhat of a murder machine in the actual books, but he's taking people on left and right in direct combat.

Tyrion's murder spree in the battle of the Blackwater in the books is still one of the least believable parts of the series. Super random and against everything built up about the character.

CassSept

GRRM has given no indication that he's changing anything. He just does not care to participate in speculation about events which have not happened in the books yet. I don't think it is hard to see where he's coming from.

Well, we know he spoke about increasing Osha's presence because he really liked how Natalia Tena liked it, so it's not outside realm of possibility that some events might change somewhere down the road.

[quote="God's Beard!";167158973]Tyrion's murder spree in the battle of the Blackwater in the books is still one of the least believable parts of the series. Super random and against everything built up about the character.[/quote]

Show Ramsay's predecessor.

That really was an incongruous character moment. Especially as the explanation fundamentally boiled down to "orcish battle lust" giving him some supernatural combat ability.

Carcetti

Just realized that the last episode was a huge step-up for the Meereen plot. We didn't get lava hand or giant armies but at least the dragon ride let Dany ditch

1) Boring Daario
2) The unsullied who can't even fight
3) The most worthless plot on show, the Grey Worm / Missandei romance
4) The whole city

It's all gonna get better from here on for sure.

hoos30

Stannis is Azor Ahai, you know, the legendary hero who forged Lightbringer by plunging it into his beloved wife's heart. At least that's what his so far undefeated red witch advisor has been telling him for years.

AkuMifune

Banned
I know how dumb this is, but just had the strangest dream that on the blu-ray set they included a comedy song and dance routine that the people of kings landing sang about wanting to roll varys in chocolate and oats and eat him. They were in the middle of the big finale when my wife woke me up for work. Lol.

Lothar

Banned
Stannis is Azor Ahai, you know, the legendary hero who forged Lightbringer by plunging it into his beloved wife's heart. At least that's what his so far undefeated red witch advisor has been telling him for years.

Book Stannis is that too. Yet trapped in the blizzard with his death looking likely, he isn't sending messages to burn his daughter. Instead he's sending messages to crown his daughter in case of his death.

I know how dumb this is, but just had the strangest dream that on the blu-ray set they included a comedy song and dance routine that the people of kings landing sang about wanting to roll varys in chocolate and oats and eat him. They were in the middle of the big finale when my wife woke me up for work. Lol.

Let's hope you're a greenseer.

Man, I have no idea why GRRM even bothers making any sort of public statement anymore with the amount of parsing every word of his gets. "Haven't written yet" = haven't published yet. That's all he meant.

kirblar

The only thing he's mentioned have been additive. (Possible twist, Osha reappearance) - he's never once mentioned taking things out due to feedback.

Man, I have no idea why GRRM even bothers making any sort of public statement anymore with the amount of parsing every word of his gets. "Haven't written yet" = haven't published yet. That's all he meant.

He said written, you're the one reinterpreting it here. If GRRM had meant published he probably would have said so. It's not a big deal that he hasn't written it yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom