• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
In a twist, Olly will approach Tormund and ask to become a wildling.

He's all like

la-trb-wyndham-loyalty-reward-program-20150511

Tubie

Not sure if it's been discussed here before, but after watching the latest episode again today I realized Jorah touches Daenerys when they're about to go down into the pit, and neither of them had gloves on.

Isn't greyscale highly contagious? Do you guys think this was just an oversight by the director? You can see it at minute 47:50 if you use HBO Go.

Kozak

Banned
I think a group stabbing by Jon led by Aliser would be good. Olly could try come running in, tears streaming down face but is held back by a brother.

Could end the scene with a close up of Olly's face.

Not sure if it's been discussed here before, but after watching the latest episode again today I realized Jorah touches Daenerys when they're about to go down into the pit, and neither of them had gloves on.

Isn't greyscale highly contagious? Do you guys think this was just an oversight by the director? You can see it at minute 47:50 if you use HBO Go.

I feel like the directors want us to assume/believe that you need to be fully converted to infect someone. Jorah seems to be touching everybody.

Speevy

Banned

Jorah has also touched multiple Meereenese fighting pit contestants, Tyrion, and probably others.

Maybe it's only contagious if you're a stone man. Otherwise it just kills you?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Do people think Aliser will stab Jon in the last episode?
Will it be a group of people like in the book, or just fucking Olly?
God I hope Wun Wun tramples the little cunt.

I don't think Alliser will join in.(Even though everyone would expect him to). He's an asshole and hates Jon but I don't believe he's the type that would murder his commander.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think it's less the idea of a small group of 20 leading a wildly successful raid on an unprepared enemy as it is the fact that Ramsay keeps getting away with it. Ramsay has now toplessly defeated the Iron Islands finest soldiers, married a pretty highborn girl who he can abuse nightly without repercussion, sniffed out the nascent Northern conspiracy against him and flayed it's old-lady leader alive, and now run a daring raid against the finest commander in the kingdom that was so successful it crippled an army. Like, none of these things are implausible, it just starts to get tiresome how unstoppable the guy apparently is. Ramsay is just their go-to device to make bad things happen to people.

Nailed it.

Brakke

Banned

Isn't greyscale highly contagious?

He offers his not-infected hand and he's all wrapped up in cloth and leather. In the books for sure people have stopped greyscale by hacking off afflicted limbs, so it's possible it only transmits by contact with afflicted flesh.

Here's some thoughts:

Dan asks, “How do you spread the Grayscale? Davos gave Princess Shireen a number of kisses, and Jorah and Daenerys had a little hand-holding session … so does everyone end up looking like an alligator?”

Probably by touch, but we don’t know everything. Shireen, though scarred by the disease, is no longer an active carrier, having survived a number of years with no further spread of the scale. I think it’s fair to assume that it takes at least direct contact with a sufferer’s scaly region to cause transmission, not contact with an unaffected limb or body part. Jorah is careful to offer Dany the hand that’s attached to the non-fucked-up arm and his rash is covered by his leather bracers. Is that enough? Probably. In the books, a character by the name of Jon Connington fraternizes with lots of people in close quarters while wearing gloves that hide a growing gray patch. None of his compatriots have, as of yet, come down with the disease.

Still, point taken. Jorah, stop touching people.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/ask-the-maester-dragons-human-sacrifice-and-more-dragons/

We don't really have a way of evaluating what "highly" contagious entails as we've only seen one person become infected, and that was during direct contact with a full-blown Stone Man who's infection, unlike Shireen's, never stopped spreading. In that same encounter, Tyrion made similar-but-maybe-his-clothes-were-between-them contact with a full-blown Stone Man and he isn't (we don't think) infected.

Snake

I really hope Alliser doesn't take part or approve. It would feel a little out of character in a weird way.

I would be more disappointed with Alliser stabbing Jon than with Olly doing it. Unless they did a good job of showing that he was genuinely doing it "For the Watch," and with a heavy heart.

I must be missing something why is this so terribad?

Also, avatar change time. Bittersteel was getting too tiresome.

Maybe it's just the disappointed book reader in me, but isn't it way too early to be doing that stuff (though I can't remember if she got needle out in the books so...)? Rather than having her do cool/clever assassin stuff like the coin poison first they're all like HEY LOOK THIS GUY IS A PEDOPHILE BET YOU CAN'T GUESS HOW ARYA WILL GET HIM.

Speevy

Banned
Edd won't choose to kill Jon because of the wildlings. He'll do it because Jon, after all that talk of banding together and defending the wall, wants to support a southern king with what limited resources the wall has.

Jon will have broken his vows by taking Davos' offer. I have a feeling Davos will also conveniently know about Jon's sister.

All of this will convince Jon to ride south personally.

Narratively speaking, it will connect back to that scene when Edd, Pyp, and Grenn bring Jon back.

Jon proposes leaving again and Edd confronts him. "For the watch!" etc.

Speevy

Banned
Also, isn't Stannis' letter itself an act of treason?

The night's watch may kneel to Stannis' superior numbers, but they serve Tommen.

If they even found that letter, sent to Jon promising him political favor in exchange for watch supplies, horses, etc., that would be a broken vow.

It would make Jon look pretty shady.

I wonder if they'll actually kill Myrcella, seems like it would be something significant to move the plot, and I just can't see what sending her back to KL with Trystane would mean

Mxrz

Maybe I missed something with the books. What makes Stannis a good commander? During the war he was mostly sieged up. He killed Renly with black magic, lost soundly at Blackwater, and ran over Mance's makeshift army.

Not a remembering a whole lot of Ws.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Maybe it's just the disappointed book reader in me, but isn't it way too early to be doing that stuff (though I can't remember if she got needle out in the books so...)? Rather than having her do cool/clever assassin stuff like the coin poison first they're all like HEY LOOK THIS GUY IS A PEDOPHILE BET YOU CAN'T GUESS HOW ARYA WILL GET HIM.

The coin can still happen, but Trant has to be killed by Needle. The Thin Man is a kill for the Faceless Men and the Many Faced God, Trant is for Arya.

Maybe I missed something with the books. What makes Stannis a good commander? During the war he was mostly sieged up. He killed Renly with black magic, lost soundly at Blackwater, and ran over Mance's makeshift army.

Holding a siege like Storm's End takes serious determination and discipline. However, his biggest achievement is defeating the Ironborn off Fair Isle.

Tubie

He offers his not-infected hand and he's all wrapped up in cloth and leather. In the books for sure people have stopped greyscale by hacking off afflicted limbs, so it's possible it only transmits by contact with afflicted flesh.

Here's some thoughts:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/ask-the-maester-dragons-human-sacrifice-and-more-dragons/

We don't really have a way of evaluating what "highly" contagious entails as we've only seen one person become infected, and that was during direct contact with a full-blown Stone Man who's infection, unlike Shireen's, never stopped spreading. In that same encounter, Tyrion made similar-but-maybe-his-clothes-were-between-them contact with a full-blown Stone Man and he isn't (we don't think) infected.

Ah that makes sense then.

From reading the books I always assumed it was super easy to spread by just skin-to-skin contact, but that is never very clearly spelled out.

I don't know why people are so annoyed by Davos saying it was 20 men, maybe less (other than the fact that Stannis didn't correct him with "fewer"). Obviously he can tell by the tracks how many men it was.

I don't know why people are so annoyed by Davos saying it was 20 men, maybe less (other than the fact that Stannis didn't correct him with "fewer"). Obviously he can tell by the tracks how many men it was.

But they should have shown him looking at the tracks, and then had a flashback to his tracking training to explain that. We have to show every possible thing.

/s

Jigorath

Banned

Someone wrote an essay analyzing Stannis as a military commander. It's lengthy, but a good read. Stannis is probably the best military commander in the series. Not Show Stannis though, Show Stannis is a fucking moron.

I kinda don't get the whole thing about the dogs. The scene was shot terribly, yes, but a large enough pack of dogs could rip apart a partly like the one Yara had.

I think a lot of people actually don't understand how vulnerable humans are in that they assume these champions are super warriors who can whirlwind 20 people away with a single blow. The people in Game of Thrones are human. They have human limits (outside of magic users). A dog can bite you and rip your flesh off. If an Unsullied is stabbed in the gut or back they're not going to just walk it off--this doesn't apply to people with plot armor (which lends itself to bad writing).

Brakke

Banned
Also, isn't Stannis' letter itself an act of treason?

The night's watch may kneel to Stannis' superior numbers, but they serve Tommen.

If they even found that letter, sent to Jon promising him political favor in exchange for watch supplies, horses, etc., that would be a broken vow.

It would make Jon look pretty shady.

The watch doesn't serve Tommen. How is Jon *receiving* a letter treason or a broken vow?

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

His biggest claim to fame was smashing the Iron Fleet when Balon rose up the first time. He also lead the assault on Great Wyk, so he's got a major W at sea and a major W on land setting siege. He was Master of Ships on Robert's small council.

Also I guess he beat the King Beyond The Wall lol.

munchie64

Edd won't choose to kill Jon because of the wildlings. He'll do it because Jon, after all that talk of banding together and defending the wall, wants to support a southern king with what limited resources the wall has.

Jon will have broken his vows by taking Davos' offer. I have a feeling Davos will also conveniently know about Jon's sister.

All of this will convince Jon to ride south personally.

Narratively speaking, it will connect back to that scene when Edd, Pyp, and Grenn bring Jon back.

Jon proposes leaving again and Edd confronts him. "For the watch!" etc.
Actually yeah. Olly has me all caught up on the Wildlings, but this makes sense too. Kinda hope they go with this now.

Speevy

Banned
The watch doesn't serve Tommen. How is Jon *receiving* a letter treason or a broken vow?

No, the night's watch is an established order that swears that they will take no part in the politics of the seven kingdoms. However, by default they respect the rule of the king in power, which means they do not actively oppose it.

Jon Snow is actively opposing the rule of a sitting king in possible exchange for future political favor. The only difference is that now Stannis is not at Castle Black to shield Jon from his own men.

So I ask again. How is Jon Snow now not both a night's watch oathbreaker and a traitor to the crown if he helps Stannis?

Massa

No, the night's watch is an established order that swears that they will take no part in the politics of the seven kingdoms. However, by default they respect the rule of the king in power, which means they do not actively oppose it.

Jon Snow is actively opposing the rule of a sitting king in possible exchange for future political favor. The only difference is that now Stannis is not at Castle Black to shield Jon from his own men.

So I ask again. How is Jon Snow now not both a night's watch oathbreaker and a traitor to the crown if he helps Stannis?

He's a traitor if he does it to help himself, but not if he does for the watch (in this case it's a trade, food for men to defend the Wall).

ZeroRay

Contempt for their viewers intelligence by not allowing them to put 2 and 2 together?

Poor contrivances that totally go against established lore that the show's already set (unsullied) and bad pacing leading to an event having less impact has been par for the course this season. If you have to go for "human nature" and "sometimes people are lucky in real life" to defend this, then lol.

Jigorath

Banned

I mean, what's the worst that can happen? The Tyrells or the Lannisters aren't going to send their armies all the way to the Wall to punish the 50 or so people that still work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom