• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
They need to add things like Sand Snakes to introduce areas and characters that will matter later in the story. Remember, everything they are showing is also for setting up upcoming seasons.

It's going to continue like this guys. I would recommend bailing out now.

They totally need to establish the characters and locations, I just don't think they're doing it well.

Tabris

They totally need to establish the characters and locations, I just don't think they're doing it well.

How would you have done it? Remember, Sand Snakes has probably counted for a total of 20 minutes or so so far this season. So explain how you would do it in 20 mins or less, with introducing the same characters (Doran, Tristan, Marcella, Sand Snakes, Areo).

Also ensured to give visibility to the environment of Dorne, as well as the motivations between the 2 forces (pragmatic Doran and the aggressive Sand Snakes) and how that dynamic plays out.

Also need to show Bronn being made loyal to them for whatever the reason in the future is.

Lothar

Banned
They need to add things like Sand Snakes to introduce areas and characters that will matter later in the story. Remember, everything they are showing is also for setting up upcoming seasons.

It's going to continue like this guys. I would recommend bailing out now.

They need to have the Sand snakes playing pattycake?

Why would I bail? I love the show. Just because I love it does not means some things they do aren't very stupid. Such as turning Stannis from an interesting shades of grey character to something inhuman. I thought last episode was bad but the two before it were good.

Why not wait one more day to see if the storm clears? Why not wait for Davos to see if he can get supplies from Castle Black?

suzu

I don't think anyone expects the show to put in everything from the books. I mean, there's plenty of non-book viewers who thought the lead up to the sacrifice was not great.

I still enjoy the show (if I wasn't I wouldn't still be watching), but I sure as hell think the whole Stannis/20 good men and Jaime/Dorne's story has been fucking lame so far.

TRios Zen

It was a quick scene meant to show the dynamic between the sisters.

So what amazing Stannis character development would you have gotten by getting rid of that 1 minute and 5 second scene?

I think there are a large majority of posters in this thread who very much enjoy the show and only call out what they don't like - as should be expected.

Because Dorne doesn't bother you or you believe Stannis' actions were acceptable doesn't mean that EVERYONE has to interpret these things this way. How can something so easy as "different people see things differently" become so easy to miss?

foxtrot3d

Banned
This whole thing never made sense. We are supposed to believe these people are so dumb they are 100% sure some people built a big ass ice wall to prevent a bunch of raggedy smelly savages to enter their realm (which they do anyway since they're not stupid and have boats), even after witnessing the existence of undeads. And never question that idea, ever.

Also these people, murderers, rapists, thieves and what not, are suddenly very attached to some tradition and vow they have to keep and stuff. These people also think that letting thousands of your enemies die and be raised as an immortal army is the best thing to do.

I know that it's actually happening in a short time span, and they have too few shocking evidences to come to their senses, but come on.
The whole wall storyline was always boring to me because I'm supposed to accept a lot of bullshit.

I'd sooner believe someone would burn their own family to survive in the ice.

While I really like the Watch storyline in the books I agree with everything you said. I think people making the comment about us not seeing Jon talk about Hardhome in the show are missing the point, even in the books the Watch is not oblivious to the WW threat. They saw a wight try to kill Mormont and actually kill two other men, they were at the Fist of the First Men, Sam claims he killed an Other, they all remember the old stories, and when they look up they see a gigantic Wall made of Ice. Yet, these people are so dumb as to give Jon shit for letting a few thousand, half-starved wildlings through the Wall so that they don't become fodder for the Army of the dead.

Now, I can understand some Watch members reservation. Jon is talking about letting the enemy of the Watch for hundreds of years through the Wall. Men and women who have killed their brothers, who have raped villagers, burnt their crops, and carried off their daughters. People whose very names come from their black deeds which they commit against their brothers like "the Weeper." It can't be hard to suddenly be told that you have to save the same person who probably killed your best friend and then gouged out his eyes, cut his head off, and stuck it on a pike for the whole Watch to see. BUT, we're talking the end of the world here so you're going to have to make some sacrifices.

The thing about FTW is that we have to remember it's not a spontaneous moment, it's not like they learned that Jon intended to fully break his vows and march on Winterfell and decided to seize him there. It's clear that this was a plot long brewing and The Pink Letter finally broke the camel's back. The ignorance on display from the majority of the Night's Watch does kinda seem far fetched. However, sometimes I question whether that is really so out there. Like, if it was the end of the world and the Israeli's had to tear down their walls surrounding Jerusalem and let a bunch of fleeing Palestinians into the city do you really think they would do so without conflict? I don't know, but somehow I suspect it won't be like "Independence Day" where everyone just agrees to work together to kill the Aliens.

Of course, the NW v. the Wildings doesn't really have a religious bent to their conflict that would foment such hardened positions.

Tabris

While I really like the Watch storyline in the books I agree with everything you said. I think people making the comment about us not seeing Jon talk about Hardhome in the show are missing the point, even in the books the Watch is not oblivious to the WW threat. They saw a wight try to kill Mormont and actually kill two other men, they were at the Fist of the First Men, Sam claims he killed an Other, they all remember the old stories, and when they look up they see a gigantic Wall made of Ice. Yet, these people are so dumb as to give Jon shit for letting a few thousand, half-starved wildlings through the Wall so that they don't become fodder for the Army of the dead.

They weren't though, at least not in the show.

Out of everyone who survived the fight at the fist, most turned mutineer at Craster's Keep.

Essentially just Jon's crew are the only ones who survived that battle in the end. And 2 of them died in the willing attack on the Wall. That leaves 2 people who survived that fight left, Sam and the guy with a bit longer hair. Eddy maybe?

I think there are a large majority of posters in this thread who very much enjoy the show and only call out what they don't like - as should be expected.

Because Dorne doesn't bother you or you believe Stannis' actions were acceptable doesn't mean that EVERYONE has to interpret these things this way. How can something so easy as "different people see things differently" become so easy to miss?

It's not just a case of people interpreting things a different way, that's fine. The issue is the expectations for extra on-screen character development scenes where there is virtually no time available in the show to do it. That's why I'm saying people need to temper their expectations. Can only cover so much.

Speevy

Banned
What I don't understand is why Aemon's ravens didn't cause even a slight increase in Night's Watch recruitment. Did they think he was kidding?

Listen, all I'm saying is that if you have any problems with how the show has developed this season, you should probably bail. All you people going on about oysters and cockles, or the brilliance of the Dorne plot this season, just listen to me and stop watching the show.

Tabris

What I don't understand is why Aemon's ravens didn't cause even a slight increase in Night's Watch recruitment. Did they think he was kidding?

There was scenes of the Small Council and Stannis reacting to the raven notes.

The Small Council disregarded it. Tyrion tried to tell them what he saw and that it should be treated seriously, but this was when he was no longer Hand of the King.

Davos took it serious and gave it Stannis and Melisandre told Stannis this was important. Thus that Army comes and saves the day in the North.

Lothar

Banned
It was a quick scene meant to show the dynamic between the sisters.

So what amazing Stannis character development would you have gotten by getting rid of that 1 minute and 5 second scene?

One more minute and 5 seconds of Stannis struggling over the decision or showing more effects of the blizzard would be a million times better use of time.

I don't anyone cares about the sand snakes in the slightest. If they were introduced for the first time next season it wouldn't make any difference.

Speevy

Banned
If Stannis' army really is dying of starvation, they don't have an army to fight the Boltons because starving men don't fight well.

If Stannis' army is not that bad off, there's no reason to take drastic action.

This show is one of conflation and compromise, so what they did was not show men dying in Stannis' camp, and also give Stannis a drastic action.

I always get why they do certain things, but at some point, a writer just has to look at the time and characters and say "You know what, this just doesn't feel right."

TRios Zen

It's not just a case of people interpreting things a different way, that's fine. The issue is the expectations for extra on-screen character development scenes where there is virtually no time available in the show to do it. That's why I'm saying people need to temper their expectations. Can only cover so much.

Fair enough on that complaint, but I think there are a number of plot line issues that I do have with the show, even though by and large, I still look forward to watching it every Sunday.

For the record, I'm generally kind of done with the "good is dumb" thing the GRRM keeps playing but I will watch the end of GOT and finish the ASOIAF series (if) whenever it completes.

eot

Banned
Plus, D&D have already proven they know nothing about Stannis. First they said his entire character is about "ambition" (wrong) but also that he burned people alive on the beaches of Dragonstone when we first saw him... also utterly wrong, he was burning statues of the Seven. It's not inconceivable that they don't know that Shireen is of paramount importance to him, being his only heir and the only one he'll ever have. Stannis would rather offer himself to the flames if it meant Shireen had a chance at the throne instead, he cares about the line of succession. In the books he even makes a point of this, and orders Davos to lead his army in his stead if something should happen to him in order to place Shireen on the throne. This is completely gone in the show.

Davos isn't there in the books, it's Justin Massey he tells to crown Shireen if he should die.

Jarnet87

Is Roslin Frey offered to Robb Stark when he agrees to marry one of Walder Freys daughters? I don't remember her being there, and then there she is at the Red Wedding marrying Edmure.

Also thinking about Robb sending Theon to the Iron Islands it was pretty naive of him and was advised against doing so. Obviously he thought Theon could convince his dad to join forces with them but it's not like the two families were on good standing. Even if Theon didn't turn on Robb, I can't see Balon letting him go back to Robb with the knowledge that they were going to invade the North.

Only seen these two events from the show, anything different transpire in the books?

Lothar

Banned
They have more important things to cover next season, as the stakes get higher.

I'm not saying they should do what they did this year with Dorne next season. I'm saying they shouldn't have done it at all since it did nothing for anybody. The next Dorne scene in the show could just as well have been the first Dorne scene.

Is Roslin Frey offered to Robb Stark when he agrees to marry one of Walder Freys daughters? I don't remember her being there, and then there she is at the Red Wedding marrying Edmure.

Also thinking about Robb sending Theon to the Iron Islands it was pretty naive of him and was advised against doing so. Obviously he thought Theon could convince his dad to join forces with them but it's not like the two families were on good standing. Even if Theon didn't turn on Robb, I can't see Balon letting him go back to Robb with the knowledge that they were going to invade the North.

Only seen these two events from the show, anything different transpire in the books?

If I remember correctly, Robb never even sees any of the Frey girls before the Red Wedding. He sends Catelyn in to negotiate in his stead. Also, Robb marries the girl in the books for an entirely different reason than he married Talisa in the show for.

And Robb trusted Theon completely. They grew up essentially as brothers, so I'm sure he trusted Theon to figure something out.

foxtrot3d

Banned

1. Robb never looks at the Frey girls, it's like in the show Catelyn has a brief look but basically says that Robb will have whatever pick of Freys daughters he liked.

2. Not much different except there is no letter burning scene in the books with Theon. In the books Theon is a bit more scummy than in the show, he's initially more upset about the task he is given than the idea of betraying Robb Stark.

Forkball

Speaking of Edmure... where is that guy? We got literally no follow up on him except for the episode after the red wedding where Frey said he was in a dungeon. I guarantee you most show-only watchers don't even know he's alive.

Also draw the line in the sand now:

#TeamOysters
#TeamClams
#TeamCockles

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
In the books the watch send a guy to king's landing with the severed-animated-arm of a white walker. It takes so long for him to be granted an audience that the arm decomposes into nothing, and they make fun of him.

It's a wight arm, not a white walker arm. So basically just a regular dead human arm, which is not very compelling.

- THR interviews a few different SFX editors on their most difficult scenes (spoilers for a few other shows)

Filming Drogon:
For a shot of one of Daenerys' dragons (with its 50-foot wingspan) setting fire to characters in the stadium, real fire was used. "We shoot as much as we can," explains Joe Bauer of the production, which shot on location in Spain. "For the dragon attack in the pit, we put a 50-foot flamethrower on a motion-control rig and shot the fire as a stunt. The dragon is moving all of the time, so the flames couldn’t be static. [The crew also photographed] about five stunt players running at it and being set ablaze." About 13 VFX houses worked on the series this season. Rhythm & Hues animated the dragon, using a model that already was built by Pixomondo during a previous season and that included aspects of lizards, bats and birds to make it believable. CG also was used here to extend and complete the stadium, and crowd replication techniques were employed to fill the stands with spectators.

DZeAhJX.jpg

cWQaiHB.jpg

Faddy

Banned
I know some may disagree with this but effects wise, everything in the pit was amazing until the dragon riding.

The dragon riding is an incredibly difficult shot to do. The camera is on the dragon and moving while Dany is essential static which is put the audience in a unusual position. Then they have the background and this is where it gets super tricky because the background contains structures at multiple depths which need to move in parallax. They need the background like that as explained in the Aviator with the unusual camera it is hard to convey movement without a frame of reference. The computation and work required to make an accurate parallax render of Mereen is hugely expensive so what we got was the best they could do but as things didn't move quite right it was enough for our eyes to stop believing the CGI and take the audience out of the scene.

Tiktaalik

SHOCKING NEWS: You can ramble on and explain a shit ton in writing whereas you have to be more succinct in film.

(No excuse for sandsnakes tho lol)

munchie64

The dragon riding is an incredibly difficult shot to do. The camera is on the dragon and moving while Dany is essential static which is put the audience in a unusual position. Then they have the background and this is where it gets super tricky because the background contains structures at multiple depths which need to move in parallax. They need the background like that as explained in the Aviator with the unusual camera it is hard to convey movement without a frame of reference. The computation and work required to make an accurate parallax render of Mereen is hugely expensive so what we got was the best they could do but as things didn't move quite right it was enough for our eyes to stop believing the CGI and take the audience out of the scene.
Shoulda just used a real dragon. They used a real bear.
Thanks for the info!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
SHOCKING NEWS: You can ramble on and explain a shit ton in writing whereas you have to be more succinct in film.

(No excuse for sandsnakes tho lol)

no you don't get it, the books are great and the show is a doodie butt poop.

Faddy

Banned
Most of the are only funny the first you read then but the Tyrion one still gets me laughing

The Tyrion one should be titled "In the Books (still to be written)" because I don't remember any battle of Mereen in Dance. Dany flies away, Tyrion vows to make seeks words change sides, Quentyn dies and Barry talks we the Green Grace. But no battle.

kris.

Banned
Bahahaha my unsullied mom just text me and said something about reading on Twitter that Jon might die and she's upset as fuck. I keep trying to tell her to never listen to Twitter and it's all pure speculation. She's gonna be livid sunday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom