• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

The Tyrion one should be titled "In the Books (still to be written)" because I don't remember any battle of Mereen in Dance. Dany flies away, Tyrion vows to make seeks words change sides, Quentyn dies and Barry talks we the Green Grace. But no battle.
it's the siege not a battle which is taking place at the end adwd, mainly seen from tyrions POV

Speevy

Banned
Way too early for that :p

After Sunday

-Jon Snow
-Roose
-Ramsay
-Stannis
-Melisandre
-Selyse
-Myrcella
-Tommen
-Tormund Giantsbane
-Lancel Lannister
-Bronn
-Myranda
-Theon
-Pycelle
-Kevan
-Balon
-Meryn Trant
-The Thin Man
-Oysters
-Clams
-Cockles
-20 Good Men
-Olly

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Bahahaha my unsullied mom just text me and said something about reading on Twitter that Jon might die and she's upset as fuck. I keep trying to tell her to never listen to Twitter and it's all pure speculation. She's gonna be livid sunday night.

I kind of do hope it just ends with him getting stabbed and cliffhangers hard with him lying there bleeding, the internet explosion will be manna for my soul.

Joe

Nerds ruin everything. This show could be so, so, so much worse. Given the logistics alone it's incredible they made it through 5 seasons at all.

Speevy

Banned
I'm half convinced that the reason they sacrificed Shireen is because in 99% of other stories a devoted father would have turned on Melisandre.

They just wanted to be different.

Real Hero

Nerds ruin everything. This show could be so, so, so much worse. Given the logistics alone it's incredible they made it through 5 seasons at all.

That's true enough. It could be better too but I'd say we are lucky to get as good an adaption as its been

It could be worse? What a ringing endorsement, although I agree that that's about the kindest thing to be said about season 5.

kris.

Banned
I kind of do hope it just ends with him getting stabbed and cliffhangers hard with him lying there bleeding, the internet explosion will be manna for my soul.

It'd fill me with glee to see the anarchy and outrage if they end the series with him bleeding out and it fading to black.

It'd fill me with glee to see the anarchy and outrage if they end the series with him bleeding out and it fading to black.

God I hope not. I would hate being left on a cliffhanger. I just want some sort of hint. Anything that shows he doesn't die or is going to be resurrected.

What would be the point? Jon dies, they film season 6 and he shows up on set someone leaks set pics and everyone's like well no suspense he didn't die.

Jacob

I mean, if the kindest thing you can say about the show is that they've kept the production rolling along smoothly. The show totally does some things well (in previous seasons I would have said most things) but "be grateful it exists at all" isn't really an argument unless you're incredibly desperate for any sort of fantasy show to exist, regardless of quality.

Are we really going to do this "but what about season six set pics!!" thing *again*?

I thought it seems a reasonable point to bring up in speculation, but I don't watch a ton of TV so I can't say how common the use of season-ending ambiguous deaths are.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
6SNoonq.jpg

lmao

Joe

I mean, if the kindest thing you can say about the show is that they've kept the production rolling along smoothly. The show totally does some things well (in previous seasons I would have said most things) but "be grateful it exists at all" isn't really an argument unless you're incredibly desperate for any sort of fantasy show to exist, regardless of quality.
I've personally enjoyed every episode, even the "bad" episodes. For me, I think it's great that there's a book telling and a TV telling of the same overall story.

My point initially was that unless you get hung up on mundane nuances in comparisons to the book the show is rather good. Even with some mediocre acting and fight choreography.

Also, you hear more about the bad acting than the good acting (there's a lot of good acting) , and the bad cgi more than the amazing fact that they decided to film on location all around the world instead of in studios in Hollywood.

Even if you think the show is rough (I personally dont) if you factor in the logistics and the incredibly complex plot then I think it's fair to say that it's amazing the show is being made at all and has made it 5 seasons so far. If someone thinks the show is bad now, I don't think they realize how bad it could have truly been.

Lothar

Banned
The Show vs. Book Tyrion thing has nothing to do about Tyrion's arc in the books.

It's a Dany in Meereen image rather than Tyrion. It was made after episode 7. At the same point in the story in the books, a huge war was on the verge of happening with armies of slaver cities and armies of pirates coming, while on the show all that was happening was she was meeting Tyrion. Other than that, everything was fine for her.

It's a Dany in Meereen image rather than Tyrion. It was made after episode 7. At the same point in the story in the books, a huge war was on the verge of happening with armies of slaver cities and armies of pirates coming, while on the show all that was happening was she was meeting Tyrion. Other than that, everything was fine for her.

And the show version is perfectly fine for the show.

Crisco

Banned
CF88NIRUUAAEtzr.jpg

The thing is, if you asked Martin, he'd probably say he wished his plot was closer to show. Hell, how many book readers wished the major events of AFFC/ADWD were condensed into a prologue for a book that's actually good.

Iksenpets

Banned

Yeah, can't complain about this one. This season has had some bad arcs, but Tyrion and Dany aren't them. They've been fine (minus the Barristan stuff with Dany). The Unsullied have had some bad choreography, but the story itself has been fine.

Speevy

Banned
Let's make this perfectly clear about Stannis.

What they did Sunday was sloppy, poorly done characterization. They didn't build to it and did not earn it. Shireen should not have been burned. Ramsay should not have been able to do what he did. Thus it follows that Ramsay doing what he did should not have made Stannis do what he did. It was bad storytelling and D&D's part.

However, Stannis does allow innocent people (even his relatives) to be burned not because it is absolutely necessary, but because his red priestess demands it.

This "Mannis" thing is totally inconsistent with the books. Being a great general does not make you a great man, and D&D probably realize this.

Lothar

Banned

I can't fault them for not having a battle, but her story has still been lousy. Making a big deal about having a trial then burning a person to death 2 episodes later without a trial. Having a public execution at the worst possible time. Marrying a guy against his will. Barristan dying a meaningless death in a alley.

I really hope this story isn't abandoned, and it's more like a change of structure. By far the most interesting part of ADWD and still with room to include next season. While reading I felt the characters introduced in this part of the story really had the potential to expand the Danerys story to be as expansive as the Westeros stuff. They will need to make use of it next season.

Iksenpets

Banned
Let's make this perfectly clear about Stannis.

What they did Sunday was sloppy, poorly done characterization. They didn't build to it and did not earn it. Shireen should not have been burned. Ramsay should not have been able to do what he did. Thus it follows that Ramsay doing what he did should not have made Stannis do what he did. It was bad storytelling and D&D's part.

However, Stannis does allow innocent people (even his relatives) to be burned not because it is absolutely necessary, but because his red priestess demands it.

This "Mannis" thing is totally inconsistent with the books. Being a great general does not make you a great man, and D&D probably realize this.

The only relative he ever burns is his brother-in-law, for treason. The only innocent he ever considers in Edric, whom he loathes and is a bastard, and whom he's only convinced to burn after Melisandre pulls off the triple whammy. And really, Davos took Edric away before he could make his decision, so he never even explicitly makes up his mind, though I think it's safe to assume he was going to do it, if Davos believed he was really going to.

He's definitely not good, but he's not that. At least not yet.

Zabka

I can't fault them for not having a battle, but her story has still been lousy. Making a big deal about having a trial then burning a person to death 2 episodes later without a trial. Having a public execution at the worst possible time. Marrying a guy against his will. Barristan dying a meaningless death in a alley.

Her whole arc is that she has no idea how to rule. They've done a good job portraying it in a much more concise manner and getting Tyrion there earlier to advise her makes it feel like an actual complete storyline instead of the mess that most ADWD arcs were.

That reinforces the Dany can conquer, she can't rule thing that show has going on.

gioGAF

While books 1 through 3 were great and provided a more detailed story than the corresponding seasons, books 4 and 5 were mostly TRASH. The show is trumping the books now.

The never ending Brienne arc, the ridiculous Lady Stoneheart situation (I can't believe people actually think this comes across as a good arc, it is downright laughable), the Dorne and Ironborn arcs, Tyrion's never ending trip to Daenerys, FAegon+Connington, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. GRRM really went off the rails on books 4+5, and while the show is not perfect, it is a far more enjoyable experience than the meandering content of 4+5.

If the show had actually followed the books, they would have lost most of their audience since this season would be about characters the audience had never even been exposed to before. Just think, an episode 9 Kingsmoot instead of what we got, lol.

I can't wait for Sunday, episode 9 was epic, Drogon is like f'n superman!

ctothej

I've personally enjoyed every episode, even the "bad" episodes. For me, I think it's great that there's a book telling and a TV telling of the same overall story.

My point initially was that unless you get hung up on mundane nuances in comparisons to the book the show is rather good. Even with some mediocre acting and fight choreography.

Also, you hear more about the bad acting than the good acting (there's a lot of good acting) , and the bad cgi more than the amazing fact that they decided to film on location all around the world instead of in studios in Hollywood.

Even if you think the show is rough (I personally dont) if you factor in the logistics and the incredibly complex plot then I think it's fair to say that it's amazing the show is being made at all and has made it 5 seasons so far. If someone thinks the show is bad now, I don't think they realize how bad it could have truly been.

I agree completely. The fourth and fifth books were a convoluted mess, and with a few exceptions (Sand Snakes, Sansa becoming a victim again instead of a player), this season is a big improvement.

Lothar

Banned
Her whole arc is that she has no idea how to rule. They've done a good job portraying it in a much more concise manner and getting Tyrion there earlier to advise her makes it feel like an actual complete storyline instead of the mess that most ADWD arcs were.

That reinforces the Dany can conquer, she can't rule thing that show has going on.

In the books, she can't rule because ruling is hard and she's new at it. In the show, she can't rule because she's stupid and insane. She's one of my favorite characters in the books, I can understand all her decisions. In the show, I find her impossible to like. A 5 year old watching the show could see the public execution was a bad idea.

Brakke

Banned
1) I laughed.
2) We should probably not even make leak jokes.

1) Please don't post any leaked images or discuss content from the leaks. Doesn't matter if you use spoiler tags or not.
2) Don't talk about where to acquire said leaks. There are plenty of other places on the internet to chat about this sort of thing.
3) Don't beg for PMs regarding leaked material.

The finale is on Sunday night and E3 is next week. This is a very bad time to take a ban.

A sansa comparison pic would be favorable to the show.
Book version: Sansa is taken under Littlefinger's wing, he takes her to his home and shows how he has risen from nothing. Sansa finds a maternal instinct through caring for her 'Sweetrobin'. She is lined up to marry Harry the Heir, who seems like he might be a bit of a swine, but Sansa puts him in his place and soon has him eating out the palm of her hand.

Show: Raped. Wants to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom