• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots7

The meltdown in the other thread is pretty good.

But seriously what is up with some book people who can't stay out of there? You're making them think we're all caught up and they're going to come in here and still get spoiled. :|
How can they get spoiled?
Sansa's TWOW chapter, which can't happen in the show?

I really recommend listening to the showrunner commentary at the end of the show. It really let's you see into the creative minds of D&D.

"When Alliser kills Jon it's like a bad guy killing a good guy. But Ollie isn't a bad guy, he's a good guy. He's a kid so he's not a bad guy. And he kills Jon."

It's like poetry.

That's amazing.

bengraven

I liked it a lot. I won't lie.

And REMEMBER...NEXT WEEK...SAME TIME, SAME PLACE-----ish. A Re-Read of Ice and Fire 2015!

If you want to start early, we're dipping our toes in a bit with the first three chapters, but officially NEXT SUNDAY is the first day.

Makai

Show-watcher here. Anything not caught up to the books yet?

Somebody in the other thread said so, but I don't believe him.

Betty

Banned
The meltdown in the other thread is pretty good.

But seriously what is up with some book people who can't stay out of there? You're making them think we're all caught up and they're going to come in here and still get spoiled. :|

I really don't see what there is to spoil, LSH isn't going to be in the show so other than that they're as caught up as we are, more so in fact.

Choabac

I really don't mind the show "spoiling" the future books. They are very different, and even if some things were to come in the books it would be under radically different situations and I wouldn't feel tarnished at all.

Peeps here the same?

Yeah it doesn't bother me either. I started as a show watcher though, so I could see how a book first fan may not like that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wait, so Lady Stoneheart... is that not happening in the show? I got this spoiled for me a while ago and briefly thought we would see Cat be resurrected after Jon's death. Do you think she'll be in the show? Is she not a major character in the books?

Zolo

I really don't mind the show "spoiling" the future books. They are very different, and even if some things were to come in the books it would be under radically different situations and I wouldn't feel tarnished at all.

Peeps here the same?

Kinda-sorta.

bengraven

Stannis is dead, I think, after watching David talk about it. I'm pretty sure he's dead dead.

Actually I do believe everything is covered FOR THE CHARACTERS WE KNOW. There are other characters who have stories that go back at least two books and at least one of them will be introduced next year. So bits of his story might trickle in.

Honestly I think we should just do one thread next year. ;)

Wait, so Lady Stoneheart... is that not happening in the show? I got this spoiled for me a while ago and briefly thought we would see Cat be resurrected after Jon's death. Do you think she'll be in the show? Is she not a major character in the books?
Nah, she doesn't do anything except try to kill Brienne and Jaime, and they're both busy doing stupid shit.

Zolo

She's almost certainly not an end-game character which is the big difference. Same with Connington, Arianne, etc.

Arkeband

Banned

Except for things that are 99% surely cut from the show wholesale, show watchers and bookreaders are now pretty much exactly on the same page, minus a few sample chapters from TWOW.

And a lot of prophecy stuff that is hinted throughout the books that they failed to convey properly in the show. (like Jon's parentage, a 'chosen one' hero, certain dream sequences, etc)

NJDEN

OK, so Jon is obviously going to be resurrected by Melisandre. I always thought the Jon warning into Ghost theory was stupid.

- Shireen's burning didn't grant Stannis a favor. Instead it will be used to resurrect Jon, who we already know Melisandre had an interest in.
- Melisandre just so happens to make it back to the wall right before it happens. Jon will be resurrected in the final scene of S6E01

All of this relates back to Stannis.
- I am going to assume Stannis isn't dead. They didn't show him die on screen. There was no reason NOT to show it unless it's specifically because Stannis doesn't die.
- Where is the one place Stannis has left to go? No family and his only friend is at the wall. He will go to the wall.
- Having finally accepted his defeat he will be the man to replace Jon as Lord Commander and get the watch back on track. There's no better man to do it. He's iron willed, understands the threat of the White Walkers (as displayed by his conversation with Sam) and a proven military commander. He's the only man who could turn the watch back into something respectable.

My thoughts exactly.

Can someone please explain to me why is Arya going blind and all those faces she removed from Jaquen to reveal herself? Pleasee

You're not trailned on how to use the faces properly until you become "no one." It looks like they set up the blindness to be a side effect of whatever mask she put on.

suzu

How can they get spoiled?
Sansa's TWOW chapter, which can't happen in the show?

I really don't see what there is to spoil, LSH isn't going to be in the show so other than that they're as caught up as we are, more so in fact.

Like all the "obvious" theories that haven't been solidified on the show. And the characters they haven't even cast yet on the show but, might show up next season.

No Tonberry! Not you too!

WHScVXs.jpg

So...the Arya murder and the Jaquen "we are all no one" scenes were pretty good. Cersei's walk was suitably raw.

That's all I got.

A lot of it has to do with how genuinely unsatisfying most of the ADWD ending was. The Theon/Mance stuff, Victarion, Jaime being a badass negotiator, the LSH stinger, the Doran swerve, the pink letter, Manderly doing North thangs, the Varys/Pycelle/Kevan outro...this stuff carried the novel. I can understand cutting the travel logs and the Eyrie and Arianne/Quentin and the kingsmoot and even the battle for Mereen. But cutting off perhaps 5 or 6 of the actual satisfying storyline resolutions really, really hurt the season.

If a few of these things are moved to season 6 the show can be salvaged, but as of right now the format restrictions are really hurting the product.

Dorne was far and away the worst series of mistakes D&D made in the show. Nothing was compelling all season long. You could have replaced all of the sandsnakes with Arianne and Aerys Oakhart and had genuine intrigue, a meaningful death, an actual romance that didn't come off as silly, and Doran looking somewhat competent. Should've kept Jaime/Bronn team-up but move it to Riverrun all season, have Brienne/Pod get kidnapped early on and put her on a bus all season, have Brienne return in Ep 9 like "Jaime I need help!" and closed the season with the LSH reveal.

There was no need for the urgency of Myrcella's death. It's an awful plan. Ellaria just sent her nephew in law (or whatever) into Cersei's clutches with a reason to butcher him. Smart.

Jon I don't mind. Sam had to go for Oldtown to happen. The stabbing felt unsatisfying when I read it, just kind of formulaic here. Nothing like the red wedding. I don't think anyone believes it, so they should have teased something.

I liked it a lot. I won't lie.

And REMEMBER...NEXT WEEK...SAME TIME, SAME PLACE-----ish. A Re-Read of Ice and Fire 2015!

If you want to start early, we're dipping our toes in a bit with the first three chapters, but officially NEXT SUNDAY is the first day.
You know what? I'm going to join you. Gonna wash the bad taste out with the books.

Burt

Passing up an explicit view of Stannis' death in a show that, if nothing else, relishes taking that shit to the max is a pretty clear indication of how things ended there.

They're gonna meet up with Theon and Sansa and form Final Fantasy Vesteros: Paladin, Dark Knight, White Mage, Thief.

Betty

Banned
So they did two books in one season? What the hell?

There's a lot of travelling and moving pieces in AFFC and ADWD, to properly adapt it would take too long and honestly it wouldn't make good tv, not that I'm saying their revisions have been much better.

MartyStu

Theyre all alive. Or will be by next season's finale.

I think they keep Jon dead for awhile to let other stuff happen.

After giving it some thought and seeing some other theories, I think this is likely.

And if anyone has a right to do in Stannis it is Davos.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Passing up an explicit view of Stannis' death in a show that, if nothing else, relishes taking that shit to the max is a pretty clear indication of how things ended there.

They're gonna meet up with Theon and Sansa and form Final Fantasy Westeros: Paladin, Dark Knight, White Mage, Thief.

I'll take it.

I was worried about how much they were trying to cram into this episode before it happened and the result doesn't really surprised me. It was a rushed mess. The whole season suffered from trying to do too much in too little time. Maybe if they had cut out more and devoted more time to fewer plotlines things would have worked out better, but they'd probably just fuck things up in different ways.

Oh well, we'll always have seasons 1 and 4. And maybe GRRM will publish another book one day.

The fact that they didn't bother to do the Davos Manderly scenes really hurt the flow of this season. It would have given team Stark something to hold onto until season 6 and it would have been more satisfying to see the back and forth between them and the Freys. It's really disappointing that none of those chapters made it to the screen. It's some of the best writing Martin has done in the entire series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom