• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing to me that people continue to emphasize that Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons were not as good as the earlier books as a way to excuse this season, when several of the best story lines from the book were not included the last two seasons at all, and those that were included were bastardized versions of them that were just a step above something I would expect from SyFy. Jesus christ... So much wasted potential in a Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons...
FfC and DwD seem really boring and straightforward at first because the plots are actually really subtle, and the books immensely reward rereads in order to fully understand character motivations and consequences.

It's like D&D just read over the Wikipedia summary and said "well these things have to happen I guess, what a boring book. Let's spice it up!"

Welp. I think I'm out. Good bye show, you were fun while you lasted. It was great seeing the first few books brought to life.

But, GRRM, please make me forget this shit with a brilliant new book, that's my only hope.

duckroll

Oh and I like how the finale basically confirms that Barristan was killed off on the show just so his role in the books could go to Tyrion since one character is more popular than the other. Lulz. :(

Patriots7

Maybe Stannis isn't dead. I hope he's not, but the show had done a shitty job with him for the most part so we'll see. And I found it funny how Brienne still referred to Renly as the true king. His claim was the shittiest of all.
He never claimed that the throne was his by right.

He actually stated something along the lines of "There were Targaryen heirs after Aerys, but that didn't stop Robert from claiming the throne"

Zolo

Stannis wouldn't die off-screen, though I have no idea what else could be done with him now aside from getting killed or tortured in the first episode next season.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh and I like how the finale basically confirms that Barristan was killed off on the show just so his role in the books could go to Tyrion since one character is more popular than the other. Lulz. :(
That was obvious as hell once Tyrion actually reached Dany. Wasn't the actor even pissed about it for that very reason?

A_Gorilla

Banned
He never claimed that the throne was his by right.

He actually stated something along the lines of "There were Targaryen heirs after Aerys, but that didn't stop Robert from claiming the throne"

Correct. He claimed it by right of conquest, which by all accounts he would have succeeded had Stannis not shadow assassinated him.

Werd

I would have liked Mel to be looking in a fire or something before she leaves, seeing Jon's death or something. We know she's a true believer and she just abandons him hearing of their loss of army strength.

even then you could have heard something prior to them being literally right the fuck next to you. That many horses running that fucking fast and men going HIYAAAAAAAAA HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA would've alerted people 2 miles away.

Hearing horses two miles away? You know people got stampeded back in the day by herds of way more buffalo cause they didn't hear it in time. Just saying....

MartyStu

Don't complain. This decision probably saved us from hearing ''Where do whores go" a hundred times.

Sean C

Well, that was kind of a trainwreck

D&D have never liked Stannis, and that shines through in this episode. I have no doubt that Stannis will die in the books, but it won't be anything like this. Ridiculous, to the end, from half the army leaving with nobody noticing, to Stannis just walking up to Winterfell, to somehow ending up in the woods completely alone just so Brienne can appear to kill him.

And Sansa's Winterfell story can officially be declared a complete waste of her character development, as she did nothing all season but re-enact her season 2 story, and all the things people suggested might be manipulations were in fact just "cool" one-liners. Apparently, putting a Stark in Winterfell means absolutely nothing.

Arya's storyline finally got good (apart from the scene opening with Meryn beating the three girls; yeesh, why was that necessary? We already know he's a villain), and had a very effective ending.

I thought Cersei's story was also done well, and I found it interesting how the last few episodes have mimicked the books' POV approach, in that we see nothing of King's Landing beyond what she sees.

They botched "For the Watch" completely. If Thorne was going to kill Jon based on the stuff he'd already done, why the hell did he let him through the gates last episode? Because when the Pink Letter is removed, that's all he's acting on.

Oh, and Dorne. Goddamn Dorne, with the Sand Snakes' brilliant plan to get Trystane immediately killed. Though I did enjoy that Bronn survived, validating my conviction the idea that he was going to die based on nothing beyond the fact that Arys Oakheart, a character with no connection whatsoever to Bronn's role in the show, died, was dumb.

Duxxy3

Hasn't been the case for most of the season, but king's landing was the most well done area for the episode. Other areas were too short or too long. King's landing was just right.

Red Comet

Stannis wouldn't die off-screen, though I have no idea what else could be done with him now aside from getting killed or tortured in the first episode next season.

Brienne might try to use him in a play to get Sansa from the Boltons. But, yeah, don't know what the endgame would be there.

Valhelm

contribute something

Hasn't Barristan's role essentially been filled, though? There's no need for a coup, because Hizdahr is dead and the Harpy raid seems to have been unsuccessful.

Although if your speaking for Barristan's presumable role in Winds, then you might be right.

Gianny

Can someone please explain to me why is Arya going blind and all those faces she removed from Jaquen to reveal herself? Pleasee

Zolo

Hasn't Barristan's role essentially been filled, though? There's no need for a coup, because Hizdahr is dead and the Harpy raid seems to have been unsuccessful.

Although if your speaking for Barristan's presumable role in Winds, then you might be right.

This actually makes me wonder if Barristan actually lives and was killed off specifically to have his role filled by Tyrion.

A pathetic end for Stannis, poorly written and utterly disappointing. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

What's funny is that in the book you just find out he's dead in a letter Jon reads from Ramsey, no doubt killed by some random soldier. That's certainly awesomely written and not disappointing.

Seriously, it's so fucking apparent that D&D can't do shit without GRRM's direction and writing. All the best scenes were those that were faithful to the books.

Not true at all. Some of the absolute high points of the series were Hardhome, Cersei/Robert conversation, Oberyn/Tyrion conversation, probably others I'm forgetting...none of which were written by George (iirc).

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Maybe Stannis's horses were stealth and after they ran off the Dothraki found them. It would explain how Stannis didn't hear them leave and Dany didn't hear them approach. #StealthHorses

What's funny is that in the book you just find out he's dead in a letter Jon reads from Ramsey, no doubt killed by some random soldier. That's certainly awesomely written and not disappointing.

Not true at all. Some of the absolute high points of the series were Hardhome, Cersei/Robert conversation, Oberyn/Tyrion conversation, probably others I'm forgetting...none of which were written by George (iirc).
Hardhome was the closest we've had the show switch to being a Michael Bay film, and it came at the cost of one of the wonderful arcs that everyone is saying D&D ruined. The Hardhome stuff pretty much exemplifies everything wrong with this show.

And if you honestly got that from the pink letter, you didn't understand book five haha.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Exactly how I expected it to be handled but still a bad decision in my opinion.

The showrunners are so damn obsessed with their "lol shocking twist" moments to ever think anything through.

Just give me another book.

blackflag

That was a mess. I can't wait for the book to see how different the Stannis thing and the Reek turn is.... Too bad it won't even be this year.

And then after that one, the whole TV series will be over before the next book. I guess I need to look at them as two totally separate things.

Arkeband

Banned

The Oberyn/Tyrion conversation is basically word for word from the books.

Well Robert Strong looked pretty badass at least!

I dunno. In the books Qyburn was having armor made that was too big and too heavy for any mortal man. I didn't expect him to be wearing regular old Kingsguard gear, I was expecting him to be some kind of walking man-tank with a billowing white cape.

Them cutting out Cersei falling into his arms in a dramatic fashion was kind of a meek way to go about it. In the book she couldn't even make it to the door, she had to be carried by her monstrous champion. Whatev's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom