• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

I don't like what Jaime has become in the show. I love ASOS and AFFC Jaime, show Jaime is not the same guy, he is a toothless dog. I don't think we are getting the letter burning.

In fact if they end up killing Bronn in Oakheart's manner I will feel far more bad than if they end up killing Jaime.

I have legit fear for both Bronn and Jaimie, I don't think either are safe. I mean if LSH does kill Jaimie then D&D can just kill him off in Dorne.

Jaime is fine for now. Whatever his status is in the books, he'll make it to the last season, or possibly offed in the finale of the sixth season. Bronn is likely fucked though.

Arkeband

Banned
I have legit fear for both Bronn and Jaimie, I don't think either are safe. I mean if LSH does kill Jaimie then D&D can just kill him off in Dorne.

I'm not convinced that the show killing main characters will reflect what happens to them in the books.

GRRM had a few comments recently about how the show is the show and the books are the books. He could easily write a different ending, or the same ending but everything leading up to it is different. We already have marked differences.

Unfortunately if the rumors about the tenth episode are true (where it parallels the end of ADWD) then we probably won't be able to say with any certainty which way it's going until next season - which will hopefully coincide with TWOW.

You know what's funny? Now that D&D have gone their own way, I'm starting to feel that uneasiness for all the characters.

Like yesterday, when Pod got separated from Brienne I was thinking "oh shit, is Pod actually in trouble? Could he be killed now? Seriously?"

I think that's going to start happening more and more.

Game of Thrones will get fun again, now we actually have to fear for the characters because we don't know what's coming. Ice Dragons? Stone Giants? A Meteor? Anything can happen and that excites me. D&D should just make their own show at this stage. Broad strokes is all they have to work with

Arkeband

Banned
Game of Thrones will get fun again, now we actually have to fear for the characters because we don't know what's coming. Ice Dragons? Stone Giants? A Meteor? Anything can happen and that excites me. D&D should just make their own show at this stage. Broad strokes is all they have to work with

The downside to 'broad strokes' is that most of the best written scenes are pulled directly from the book, nearly word for word. When they're left to their own devices it's generally god-awful. (see "Kunk Kunk Smath the Beetleth")

The downside to 'broad strokes' is that most of the best written scenes are pulled directly from the book, nearly word for word. When they're left to their own devices it's generally god-awful. (see "Kunk Kunk Smath the Beetleth")

Point taken and I agree. This show needs to be written like House of Cards, that's what the series really is, political drama with the occasional dragon thrown in

The only broad stokes will be ADOS content and it won't be that broad if GRRM is pulled in to help write that stuff. TWoW stuff will probably be much more detailed.

NeoGiff

I got bored...

tTYrFp7.png

You should find a better example because that scene was fine.

Subitai

Man, given that they know exactly what is going to come with Dany plot/character wise and all the major changes from the books, why couldn't they redo things to make her more likable along her way back to the Iron Throne?

NeoGiff

Man, given that they know exactly what is going to come with Dany plot/character wise and all the major changes from the books, why couldn't they redo things to make her more likable along her way back to the Iron Throne?

Maybe they're preparing everyone for her villainess role early on?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the smath the beetleth scene. Yara and the dogs was pretty terrible, though.

hawk2025

Because the point is that she should not be likable and/or capable of being a great ruler right now.

Dysun

Two questionable scenes (one of which is faaar worse than the other) does not equate to "generally awful".

Grey Worm/Missandei
Karl Fookin Tanner of Gin Alley
Ros
Shae the funny whore
Loras in anything

The show missteps in original content as much as it hits

Real Hero

Robert and Cersei was good and the Jaime and Ned guard guy (Jory?) talking about the The Ironborn rebellion. Generally I think added scenes are good while the added story lines usually suck.

Szeth

Two questionable scenes (one of which is faaar worse than the other) does not equate to "generally awful".

Nah, that one scene Bryan Cogman wrote that had to be edited and cut short due to budget and time is totally indicative of D&D's writing quality.

Marz

Really loved the brief bit of Doran we got in the episode, the actor looks perfect for the role. Hope they flesh out his character and not just a few scenes to remind people that Dorne exists.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I generally think that as the show has gone more and more off course, it has gotten worse and worse, dialogue wise and character arc wise. I just don't know for certain if that is true or not, because I started reading the books after marathoning seasons 1 & 2.

f0rk

I generally think that as the show has gone more and more off course, it has gotten worse and worse, dialogue wise and character arc wise. I just don't know for certain if that is true or not, because I started reading the books after marathoning seasons 1 & 2.

The dialogue is definitely trying too hard

Arkeband

Banned
Kunk Kunk felt to me like Peter Dinklage speaking rather than Tyrion. The mockery was out of character; considering Tyrion loves 'cripples, bastards, and broken things', finding his "moron" cousin so fascinating that he apparently spent a significant amount of time just watching him punch dirt doesn't really reflect what we know about Tyrion's upbringing. In the end it felt like he was full of shit and he had just invented his cousin on the spot to make a parallel to The Mountain's specific brand of chaos.

He's then immediately handwaved away in the laziest way possible:
"Whatever happened to our dear cousin?"
"Oh he died when a horse kicked him in the chest."
"LOL."

For Tyrion who just came away from a court scene where he roasts everyone for judging him because of the way he was born, it's a little hypocritical to turn around and muse about a mentally handicapped relative.

I really don't think the Ironborn and the dogs scene was anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be, honestly.

I saw a iffily-done scene with Yara abandoning Theon to his fate and disowning him while avoiding getting savaged, whereas everyone else seems to have seen some appalling wreck of a scene with the Ironborn screaming and weeping when confronted by some dogs. I genuinely don't see the big issue with the scene- I think it was badly done, but some of you have taken it as a grievous knock against the competence of the entire show, which I find totally baffling.

I liked the Karl Tanner bits last season too. He was a charismatic and enjoyably loathsome villain, and the plot at Craster's was a damn sight more interesting than anything else Jon would have been doing otherwise. People would have eaten that up with a spoon had it been in the books, and quibbled if D&D had changed some random inconsequential line.

While I'm knocking down some established truths, I like the addition of some personality and story for Grey Worm and Missandei. If we are to be spending a lot of time in Meereen, and I think we can take it as read that we are, I'd rather they spend a comparatively small amount of time building up personalities and plots for other members of Dany's party, instead of expecting us to be invested in the tribulations and schemes of Dasdfg bo Pqwert or whichever other unpronouncable non-entity features in any given chapter of ADWD

I think they probably had more scenes for the Lord Commander Election but cut them when the actor who played Denys Mallister passed away.

Arkeband

Banned
The hissing was goofy but it did a good job of reminding Danaerys that everything about these people she's trying to rule is a complete fucking mystery to her and she has no business being there.

I was just waiting for the "Daario, what's going on?!" "RUN!!!"

To me, it's whatever, Meereen is a clusterfuck in the books, so they can't really go too wrong depicting everything leading up to Dany's exit.

Oberyn's coversation with Tyrion about seeing him as a baby wasn't in the books, right? That was a great scene.

It's 100% from the books. I caught this episode with a friend when it aired and as book readers, after that scene ended we both looked at each other and went "Whoa, that was like, line for line from the books."

Brakke

Banned
Kunk Kunk felt to me like Peter Dinklage speaking rather than Tyrion. The mockery was out of character; considering Tyrion loves 'cripples, bastards, and broken things', finding his "moron" cousin so fascinating that he apparently spent a significant amount of time just watching him punch dirt doesn't really reflect what we know about Tyrion's upbringing. In the end it felt like he was full of shit and he had just invented his cousin on the spot to make a parallel to The Mountain's specific brand of chaos.

He's then immediately handwaved away in the laziest way possible:
"Whatever happened to our dear cousin?"
"Oh he died when a horse kicked him in the chest."
"LOL."

For Tyrion who just came away from a court scene where he roasts everyone for judging him because of the way he was born, it's a little hypocritical to turn around and muse about a mentally handicapped relative.

Huh? Jaime looks at the "broken thing" and disregards it, Tyrion looks and sees someone worth spending time to watch and to consider. Tyrion calling someone "moron" isn't necessarily an insult and it isn't necessarily disparaging, Tyrion's established that it's best to call things what they are.

I'm not feeling your reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom