• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

With as much as they have changed Brianne's hunt for the Stark girls, do you guys still think we'll get zombie Catelyn at the end of this season?

Arnie

Sorry if I'm late to this but have they cut all of Victorion's story (sorry for the spelling)?

If so then how is season 6 going to make a lick of sense.

NeoGiff

I think they probably had more scenes for the Lord Commander Election but cut them when the actor who played Denys Mallister passed away.

From what I can remember back when his death was reported, it seemed as if he had filmed more than one scene, as he passed just four days after beginning filming. So, yes, that seems like the case.

From the show's perspective, they were lucky to have filmed the most important one, so that they can still benefit from Mallister's inclusion. Not to mention J. J. Murphy himself had his final appearance on the biggest show in the world.

Edit: Here's the original source. Confirms "scenes" plural.

Edit 2: There was no "In memory of J. J. Murphy" at the end of this episode, was there? That's either an oversight, or another small scene of his might be included in a future episode.

Kain

Sorry if I'm late to this but have they cut all of Victorion's story (sorry for the spelling)?

If so then how is season 6 going to make a lick of sense.

Yes.

Dany already has all the ships she needs to invade Westeros, now they just have to clean up Mereen and that's it.

I want Lavarm more than anyone, but seeing how they are writing the new stuf... I almost prefer not to have him cast.

Arnie

Christ. What a bottle job. Would've prolongued the book content as well, rather than fly through to the point of no return and deliver a diluted product to boot.

Just not that arsed about the show, in all honesty. It's sub-par compared to the books and coasting on the world thats already established.

studyguy

Christ. What a bottle job. Would've prolongued the book content as well, rather than fly through to the point of no return and deliver a diluted product to boot.

Just not that arsed about the show, in all honesty. It's sub-par compared to the books and coasting on the world thats already established.

Honestly a lot of the current content is heading towards stuff that dragged for fucking ages. Danny's chapters were an absolute slog for me, so it's of little consequence personally. The faster they get to the pits the better imo on that end. There was simply too much meandering for my tastes and if they can cut that out then fuck it.

I'm still hoping in the back of my mind that the only reason they scrapped the Ironborn plot this season is because the last scene will be the Kingsmoot and it will end with everyone seeing The Silence coming over the horizon and Daario=Euron will step off the ship.

Kaladin

I think my favourite show-only scene is still Tywin's introduction while butchering the deer.

On a related note, I was highly disappointed that the show omitted the "Tywin Lannister does not shit gold" line from his final scene,

I mean, he was killed on the toilet....how do you not keep that line?

Real Hero

On a related note, I was highly disappointed that the show omitted the "Tywin Lannister does not shit gold" line from his final scene,

That was in Tyrions head though. Would be strange it have him say it there and then to himself.

Kerned

Banned

Speaking that line out loud to no one would have been absurd.

Showaddy

It'd sound pretty stupid spoken aloud to be honest, as great a line as it is it's only in Tyrion's head.

Edit: Beaten slightly...

Kaladin

I don't think it would have translated well into that medium. they surely thought about it, but it would probably have been too much comedy for that scene.

You're probably right about the comedy aspect of it.

I would also accept if they could work it into one of the conversations Tyrion is having with Varys this season (or last season). That wouldn't kill the mood of the death scene and still kept the line.

Kerned

Banned
This isn't fucking Arrested Development.

tumblr_moc75yaCMR1qk2t5co1_500.jpg

hydruxo

Honestly a lot of the current content is heading towards stuff that dragged for fucking ages. Danny's chapters were an absolute slog for me, so it's of little consequence personally. The faster they get to the pits the better imo on that end. There was simply too much meandering for my tastes and if they can cut that out then fuck it.

Dany's storyline is godawful to be honest, so I'm inclined to agree that the faster they get through it the better

Dany

Banned
Lena Heady is doing an amazing job as Cersie thus far. She has really grown into her role. I despise the character so much, I cannot wait to see her walk of shame.

bengraven

The hissing actually reminded me of a sim or RPG.

WHAT DO YOU CHOOSE:

1) Justice: off with his head!
2) Compassion: free him!
3) Compromise: he will serve time in the dungeons, then come out a free man.

YOU CHOOSE: 1.

Sons of the Harpies reputation +1
Free Men reputation -5
Daario approves.
Grey Worm disapproves.
Missandei disapproves.

Montresor

Ha! You are now starting to see the key difference between the books and the show, subtlety. The show spells things out VERY explicitly, such as THIS CHARACTER IS GAY or this is the person responsible for X. The books on the other hand force you to pay attention to draw connections. It is entirely possible to read all the books thus far and never realize that Renly and Loras are gay. Unlike the show their relationship isn't common knowledge and known only to a few, thus because they aren't POV characters you have to read between the lines to understand the nature of their relationship.

The biggest one comes from Stannis himself who is the one that quips "in your bed she's like to die that way," referring to Magaery's maiden status. There's also that line by Loras to Tyrion himself about why he joined the Kingsguard at such a young age when he could be about prowling and he quips something about how "when the sun has set, no candle can replace it." Obviously, he's referring to the fact that Renly is dead and no one else can ever replace him. Again, all very subtle.

If you ever read the Dunk and Egg novels the third novellas includes a gay character and yet I had no idea until I read it for like the third time. Then all of a sudden I was like "how the hell did I miss that?" It's why I love the books, so much stuff is hidden beneath the lines.

I'm so glad I read this post of yours. I've read a bit further in book 3 and I caught a subtle hint at Loras's sexuality when Jaime first re-appears in King's Landing with Brienne, and Loras accuses Brienne of murdering Renly and tries to slay her himself. Jaime says something like "I am Lord Commander of the Kingsguard you little pup! Put your sword away or I'll shove it somewhere even Renly did not find!" aka a play on shoving something up someone's bum, and a reference to Loras's and Renly's bedplay... something I would not have caught if I did not check out these posts and look for subtle references like this.

And the way Loras slays Emmon and Robas in a fit of rage in Book 2 makes a bit more sense now. He was deeply in love with Renly and then Renly mysteriously dies. I should stress that I knew Loras was gay thanks to the show, but now I'm much happier to catch subtle cues like this in the book, after realizing the book won't ever explicitly say "Loras is gay".

This has definitely been my favourite book so far. I'm at the Jon Snow chapter where Jon and Stannis eventually meet each other at the Wall (don't know the specifics yet but I skipped to the end of the chapter and saw randomly that Stannis speaks with Jon). I recently read the Jaime chapter where he holds interviews with each of the members of the Kingsguard. I was absolutely blown away - I'm so excited about that chapter I basically gave an excited verbal synopsis to my brother. I adore two aspects of this chapter: 1) It serves as a wonderful refresher on each member of the Kingsguard. I always knew Ser Meryn Trant was the piece of shit who would beat Sansa bloody (and that he is the one who killed a baby at a mother's breast), but I couldn't make heads or tails of Ser Boros Blount versus Ser Balon Swann. The chapter made it perfectly clear what each member's personality is like (and thankfully it let us know why only five of the Kingsguard sat with Jaime - because Ser Arys Oakheart was in Dorne protecting Myrcella). and 2) One by one Jaime performs his interviews, starting with the biggest piece of human scum (Trant), making sure to interview him in full view the other brothers of the Kingsguard, then dismissing him, then doing the same with the second biggest piece of scum (Blount), and so on, until Loras is alone with Jaime.

I'm sad they never had a scene like this in Season 3/4.

What will the BIG thing be in this season's 9th episode, you reckon? I can only imagine the Pits.
Pits are a certainty, and the Walk of Atonement is a possibility.

There's a show-original battle happening at Hardhome in episode 8, so they're spacing the big moments out again.

I hope this won't turn into Diet Game of Thrones again like the end of Season 4, where all sorts of interesting events are rushed and dumbed down for a general audience. It's kind of looking that way with the accelerated and altered plotlines for nearly every major character. Why can't this show have Breaking Bad caliber writers? HBO must be pinching pennies instead of hiring the best talent. They know people will eat it up regardless.

So far this season is great visually and not so great in the other areas.

You only have to look to D&D since they're the ones in charge.

It was odd since I'm pretty sure they referenced it earlier in the season didn't they?

hydruxo

What will the BIG thing be in this season's 9th episode, you reckon? I can only imagine the Pits.

They've said that they want to move away from Ep 9 containing the huge event because it's become too predictable, but we'll see

Personally I think it'll go:

Ep 7-8: Battle of Hardhome
Ep 8: Cersei's Penance Walk

Ep 9: Pits

Ep 10: Dany & Drogon encounter with Dothraki + Varys kills Pycelle & Kevan + Jon's stabbing

Patriots7

I don't think I believed Renly was gay.
Martin made it so obvious that I figured he was just having fun with stereotypes (Rainbow guard, being the best dressed person at court, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom