• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
Ok, so D&D apparently wrote a part especially for Emilia's body double. That part is [future episode spoilers]
a whore who dresses up as Dany and has her dress altered so that her ass is always out. I won't say what storyline it's in, but it's pretty obvious as it's straight from ADWD.

So meta.

I don't remember that at all, but I guess I didn't pay much attention in the Meereen chapters, what with all the Reznak mo Skahaz mo Kandaq shit going on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ser-davos-actor-liam-cunningham-10194273.html

Stannis is dead. Sansa kills him. I can feel it now.

Speculation from Reddit:

I call this the White Wedding. My speculation for the end of this season is as follows. Stannis hears of the wedding of Ramsay Bolton and Sansa, and announces his intent to attack Winterfell. Sansa and Ramsay are wed and Theon has to watch as Ramsay brutally sexually assault Sansa.
Brienne and Podrick have followed Sansa to Winterfell and have waited outside the city gates.
Lord Commander Jon decides to protect Hardhomme and do his duty as a leader of the Watch due to rumors that white walkers are attacking the town. He is devastated that he can't save Sansa, but he must protect his Oath.
Stannis' forces arrive to meet the Bolton Army outside of Winterfell. During the siege, Sansa is assaulted again but this time Theon saves her. Together they kill Ramsay. The Bolton army is also defeated, and Stannis slays Roose. It is an epic battle.
Brienne takes the opportunity to duel the Mannis, and she slays him with Oathkeeper. Melisandre enraged uses blood magic to kill Brienne and she flees back to the camp where Shireen is held.
Jon has an epic battle at Hardhomme where his team is defeated by an endless onslaught of resurrected corpses by the Night King who fights Jon in epic combat. He is betrayed when he does not make it back to the ship when he doesn't retreat and stabbed in the back. For the Watch.
Melissandre does a blood ritual sacrificing Shireen to save the Mannis who she believes is the true king. However, it is Jon's eyes who open due to the sacrifice. He is the true King. .

NeoGiff

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ser-davos-actor-liam-cunningham-10194273.html

Speculation from Reddit:

uF7nyzQ.gif

Edit: "The White Wedding". Is Pod involved?...

bengraven

Speculation - yes I can do this for this one:

I like the mistaken Azor resurrection thing - sounds like that's what the books are hinting at. Would be an awesome payoff for both Jon and Mel's arcs and a fitting end to Stannis - truly, he dies a hero and after having lived a few years as the false Azor Ahai it's time for that to be done with.

I don't think that will happen with Sansa. I think Theon will start her, but I don't see Ramsey getting anything out of it. Somehow I don't think Sansa will lose her v-card to Ramsay, but again, that's what I expect so it will probably not happen - but imagine the massive backlash if it does. Also, I wonder how Ramsay's jealous woman will factor in here.

Sorry for the double post.

I don't agree with Elio and Linda a lot of the time, but they made a very good point in their latest video review. They basically said that no one in the show seems to be "anti-vengeance", and everyone is always gung ho about shedding blood. Not to mention this is one of the main selling points of the show, which HBO seems to love.

It happened with Cat in Season 1 ("And then we will kill them all"), and now with Ellaria's character changes it has happened again. Doran doesn't count, because as long as he keeps in line with his book counterpart, he's one vengeful motherfucker.

I just thought it was an interesting and valid point to make.

You mean they seem anti-violence? You're saying that those who seek revenge (like Park Chan-wook's trilogy) end up suffering more in the end? Or the opposite, because Cat kind of suffered. Just seeing if I'm reading you wrong.

The body double thing makes me laugh. ;)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Stannis dies, the people left fighting for the Throne will be young kids who have no experience ruling

Terrible

You assume the throne will go to someone with a claim. No claim will withstand Littlefinger's schemes.

NeoGiff

You mean they seem anti-violence? You're saying that those who seek revenge (like Park Chan-wook's trilogy) end up suffering more in the end? Or the opposite, because Cat kind of suffered. Just seeing if I'm reading you wrong.

The body double thing makes me laugh. ;)

Basically what I mean is that no one on the show seems to see the futility of the constant pursuit of vengeance. Essentially, Ellaria's attitude in the books after Oberyn's death.

Cat in the books was the voice of reason, which made her bloodthirsty, vengeful return as Stoneheart all the more stark (heh). That was lost in the show at the end of the first season when she swears to Robb that they will "kill them all".

Haha, I'm not fully 100% sure it's true, but I hope it is.

I refuse to believe something as big as Stannis dying could happen this year, given the showrunner's comments about no (major) TWOW spoilers.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yes, but there are different ways for an adaptation to be faithful. It can be faithful in that it slavishly replicates scenes and lines of dialog from the book (see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) or it can be faithful to the character, spirit, and tone of the story while making the changes needed for the difference in medium (see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, or The Lord of the Rings films).

I think Game of Thrones is a pretty faithful adaptation in the latter regard, though obviously that is subjective. It's obviously a difficult line to walk, and it's completely up to the individual for what they'll put up with.

You know as hard as I and everyone else is on D&D I think it's harder to imagine them doing a much better. First, the show is hella fucking expensive and it's only 10 episodes a season. That right there is limiting enough, even most "small" series have 12 or 13 episodes per season but GoT is just 10. So that right there means that every single fucking second has to count, it also means subtly, long backstory, and drawing things out gets thrown right out the window. They can't spend all day for you to finally make the connection that Renly and Loras are gay or perfectly explain to you the significance of Robert's Rebellion, Old Valyria, and the Blackfyre Rebellions.

In addition, the low budget means a smaller cast. Like, it's weird that all of a sudden Kevan appears out of nowhere in the show but what is the show going to do? Pay his actor to sit around every scene in the past seasons saying maybe one word? That same logic applies to most other minor characters. Plus, there is the added problem of confusing the audience with so many characters. I know plenty of people that don't know all the names of all the characters or what's up with them because they haven't read the books and purely watching the show makes things hard to follow. So, it's not a surprise that the Greyjoys are cut alongside, Arianne, Oakheart, Illyrio, and most likely fAegon (maybe?), Jon Conn, Manderlys, Lady Dustin, etc. Why introduce more characters, which costs more money since those other characters are still around, and risk overloading the audience when you can just condense it all and hand their story off to another character?

It sucks for us book readers but it makes sense for a show. But, I will still criticize them for dumb choices and dumb unnecessary changes. As I said before their time is precious so when they waste time with "beetle, klunk" scenes when they could be using that time more effectively well then I get pissed. Hey, how about we use beetle time to get more background info on Dorne or Oberyn himself?

Moff

yeah I don't see stannis dying either. but it's more or less obvious that jon will sooner or later replace stannis, as melisandres one true king at least.

NeoGiff

Guys, guys. Varys is the obvious endgame. The Merking of the Scaly Throne.

Why do you think I chose this avatar? So I and my slimy king can scoff at and give the stinkeye to all of your petty predictions.

Euron

I still feel like Melisandre is going to deliberately sacrifice Shireen to bring back Jon once she fully accepts that it's him that's Azor Ahai and not Stannis. The backlash from that is something I really want to see.

I feel that on the show
Brienne vs Stannis is going to happen but it won't go as planned. Melisandre killing her sounds about right if it does happen but she won't kill Stannis. She already won one big fight with the Hound and we never see repetitions like that, even if it isn't GRRM writing the scenario in this case.

RedShift

Why do you think I chose this avatar? So I and my slimy king can scoff at and give the stinkeye to all of your petty predictions.

I think she'd rather her son sat the throne than sit it herself.

Think about it

bengraven

Varys is probably tied for my favorite character. If he keeps Varysing, he might be #1. He temporarily lost the rights to that when he killed Kevan, aka "Let's Treat Cersei Like Tyrion Treated Joff".

I was disgusted by him at first like you're supposed to be, this slimy fuck meeting with Cat beneath the city...you're meant to think he's this kind of evil analog to Littlefinger's creepiness. But by Book 2, with his interactions with Tyrion, he started going higher and higher. By Book 3, when you realize the whole "I'm doing what's right for the realm", I was sold.

SPOILERS!

FINAL SCENE OF THE SERIES:

5uOjCFb.gif
]

They will sing songs for spiders.

NeoGiff

Varys is probably tied for my favorite character. If he keeps Varysing, he might be #1. He temporarily lost the rights to that when he killed Kevan, aka "Let's Treat Cersei Like Tyrion Treated Joff".

I was disgusted by him at first like you're supposed to be, this slimy fuck meeting with Cat beneath the city...you're meant to think he's this kind of evil analog to Littlefinger's creepiness. But by Book 2, with his interactions with Tyrion, he started going higher and higher. By Book 3, when you realize the whole "I'm doing what's right for the realm", I was sold.

SPOILERS!

5uOjCFb.gif
]

They will sing songs for spiders.

Aaaallll of this!

Not to mention Conleth Hill is one of the best actors in the show. I never see him, I just see Varys. That goes for Dillane and McElhatton too, though a lot more understated. I only see Stannis and Roose.

foxtrot3d

Banned

SPOILERS!

I'm the complete opposite, I bought into Varys bullshit that he does what he does "for the realm" but by the end of ADWD and after fully understanding the extent of his schemes I feel he is right up there with LF but maybe even worse. First off let's remember this is a guy that cuts the tongues out of little boys and girls and then sticks them in dark cramped tunnels to spend their days stealing secrets. Second, for guy all about the realm he sure does seem to do a lot of shit that causes pure chaos. Like tattling to the Mad King that Rhaegar planned to usurp him and generally feeding into the Mad King's paranoia. Then of course he proves oh so loyal to Robert Baratheon, who despite being a drunken sot, left the realm in relative peace during his rule. He plots secretly behind his back to place a secret Targ/Blackfyre on the throne.

But, this plot wouldn't be so bad if it didn't also require that the entire realm be rooted up in war and also require the use and discarding of two other Targaryens (Viserys and Dany). As far as we know, Varys planned for Dany or Viserys to cross the Narrow Sea with a pack of wild savage Dothraki that would tear apart the countryside and rally the country together for the arrival of fAegon. Naturally, fAegon would have to destroy these rival Targ claimants leaving him as the sole ruler of Westeros. All of that is pretty fucked up and hardly seems to "serve the realm."

At least LF seems honest enough in his motivations, these oh so noble Houses mocked him as a boy so now he has returned using nothing but his wits to hood winkle them all. Hey Tully I heard you didn't want me marrying your daughter, well I decided to uproot your entire family from its long held castle and now I'm the new L

EDIT:

OH MY GOD!!! They are Stannis bashing so hard in the show watcher thread I just want to slap them.

Moff

OH MY GOD!!! They are Stannis bashing so hard in the show watcher thread I just want to slap them.
honestly I thought the same about him up until the end of ASOS, he becomes a likable character as soon as he decides to save the realm to win the throne

foxtrot3d

Banned
honestly I thought the same about him up until the end of ASOS, he becomes a likable character as soon as he decides to save the realm to win the throne

But, that's happening right now and they still hate his guts. Praise be the one true King!

Moff

But, that's happening right now and they still hate his guts. Praise be the one true King!

well as I can see it many seem to like him already, and linda&elio said he would get a new scene that will make him even more likable, so D&D are definitely trying to do that justice.

the show watchers also think dany is annoying and pretty much every other main character seems to give the impression I had of them when I read the books, judging from the comments in the show thread

bengraven

And yeah, Giff, Conleth was the perfect person for Varys. My version was much more stuffy and flamboyant, which I still liked, but the calm, serene Varys is much better for the character. My original interpretation was a cross between Boy George and that creepy, villainous Cardinal from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

I'm the complete opposite, I bought into Varys bullshit that he does what he does "for the realm" but by the end of ADWD and after fully understanding the extent of his schemes I feel he is right up there with LF but maybe even worse. First off let's remember this is a guy that cuts the tongues out of little boys and girls and then sticks them in dark cramped tunnels to spend their days stealing secrets. Second, for guy all about the realm he sure does seem to do a lot of shit that causes pure chaos. Like tattling to the Mad King that Rhaegar planned to usurp him and generally feeding into the Mad King's paranoia. Then of course he proves oh so loyal to Robert Baratheon, who despite being a drunken sot, left the realm in relative peace during his rule. He plots secretly behind his back to place a secret Targ/Blackfyre on the throne.

But, this plot wouldn't be so bad if it didn't also require that the entire realm be rooted up in war and also require the use and discarding of two other Targaryens (Viserys and Dany). As far as we know, Varys planned for Dany or Viserys to cross the Narrow Sea with a pack of wild savage Dothraki that would tear apart the countryside and rally the country together for the arrival of fAegon. Naturally, fAegon would have to destroy these rival Targ claimants leaving him as the sole ruler of Westeros. All of that is pretty fucked up and hardly seems to "serve the realm."

At least LF seems honest enough in his motivations, these oh so noble Houses mocked him as a boy so now he has returned using nothing but his wits to hood winkle them all. Hey Tully I heard you didn't want me marrying your daughter, well I decided to uproot your entire family from its long held castle and now I'm the new L

EDIT:

But the chaos was created by the person who thrives most in this situation: LF. Varys isn't perfect and he's not a hero due to his past history and extreme acts for his motivations, but he's working from the hip in this chaos (like not expecting Tywin to be assassinated, being forced to kill Kevan) to get his plans to work. I think he genuinely hates that people have to die for his cause, but he does it anyway. To LF, he controls everything and seems to enjoy the suffering he creates, a kind of postive, to him, side effect of his plans. "Oh, not only are plans going as they were dealt, but people are hating me and dying? How amusing".

Edit: as for Dany being annoying, we're talking about GRRM who has the ability to make us change how we feel about characters. Jaime, recently Sansa, for example...

NeoGiff

If Brienne ever kills the Mannis I'd be super pissed. But, the thing is that it's kinda poetic that she becomes a Kingslayer. Sounds like something George would write.

Brienne is really starting to piss me off in the show. She's just so... aggressive and demanding ALL. THE. TIME.

NeoGiff

And yeah, Giff, Conleth was the perfect person for Varys. My version was much more stuffy and flamboyant, which I still liked, but the calm, serene Varys is much better for the character. My original interpretation was a cross between Boy George and that creepy, villainous Cardinal from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Who is this Giff you speak of? I'm Griff.

bengraven

HELLO...MCFLY...

"NeoGiff"

tumblr_msouzd8vmS1qfr6udo2_500.gif

Basically what I mean is that no one on the show seems to see the futility of the constant pursuit of vengeance. Essentially, Ellaria's attitude in the books after Oberyn's death.

Cat in the books was the voice of reason, which made her bloodthirsty, vengeful return as Stoneheart all the more stark (heh). That was lost in the show at the end of the first season when she swears to Robb that they will "kill them all".

Haha, I'm not fully 100% sure it's true, but I hope it is.

Ah, okay, I was thinking the same thing. Whether it's just GRRM realism leaking in that we can't get what we want or he purposely wants people to suffer for revenge, it's something that never ever works out in anyone's favor.

Except a few times for Arya.

Speculation from Reddit:

Yeah there's no way this is happening. This is like all TWoW major spoiler territory and Benioff already said Season 5 is mostly safe from that.

Sorry for the double post.

I don't agree with Elio and Linda a lot of the time, but they made a very good point in their latest video review. They basically said that no one in the show seems to be "anti-vengeance", and everyone is always gung ho about shedding blood. Not to mention this is one of the main selling points of the show, which HBO seems to love.

It happened with Cat in Season 1 ("And then we will kill them all"), and now with Ellaria's character changes it has happened again. Doran doesn't count, because as long as he keeps in line with his book counterpart, he's one vengeful motherfucker.

I just thought it was an interesting and valid point to make.

But Ellaria is taking a lot of Arianne's role so it makes sense. Ellarianne.

NeoGiff

But Ellaria is taking a lot of Arianne's role so it makes sense. Ellarianne.

There's a pretty huge difference though:

Ellarianne wants to mutilate and slowly kill Myrcella.
Arianne wants to crown her.

Edit: Is "Ellarianne" a thing now? I'm taking the credit!

JcISogi.gif

I can totally see something like this happening in the Winterfell arc.

Myranda will be jealous of Sansa, and her jealousy will become problematic for Ramsey who can't harm Sansa by Roose's orders. Myranda will try to hurt Sansa to win back Ramsey's affection. Though Ramsey would prefer to be with Myranda and is itching to torture Sansa, his hands are tied, and he can't let her attack slide. Out of frustration, he'll force Sansa to kill Myranda. This way, he doesn't have to hurt Myranda himself and he gets to torture Sansa in a roundabout way. A scene where Sansa is forced to torture and kill someone will be hard to watch and maybe controversial, fulfilling all those rumors about a certain Sansa scene in season 5.

NeoGiff

Well I thought it first, I'm sure. A secret claim that never could have been foreseen in advance, in the true Aegon spirit.

I'll give you this one, if only because I know exactly how it feels to not have proof of your invention.
I invented and tweeted "The Roose is Loose" back in Season 3.

Edit: Actually, that's not right. I said "Roose is on the Loose", and then someone else changed it to the much better "The Roose is Loose".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom