• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be the worst possible outcome. Changing his years-in-the-making plan just to spite those he willingly sold the rights to? No thanks.

He can change his mind at anytime as the author. He already changed a lot of things for the better that he had initially planned after the first book. The worst scenario is to have his creativity limited to some agreement made years ago when he had an idea. I'm not saying he should change without a motive.

raindoc

We've had Turner claiming that she was in a "horrible" scene a couple of months ago, and now we have Alfie Allen talking about what seems to be the same scene.

Everything seems to be leading up to Sansa being doomed at the hands of Ramsay, and Brienne showing up to rescue her (and maybe die).

It seems pretty safe to say that that's exactly where the show is going now.

I was thinking... could they turn Sansa into "Lady Stoneheart"?

Massa

We're all ignoring a more immediate problem: Jaime and Bronn's wacky misadventures in Dorne.

So, the plan is apparently for both of then to go on a covert spec ops rescue mission. They have to inconspicuously make their way to the Water Gardens, infiltrate the location unseen, somehow locate Myrcella alone, convince her to return with them, and then what? Swim home? We know from filming observations that
both of them arrive in Dorne on a beach, alone.
How is this even a plan?

It makes zero sense. It's as if D&D decided that since the plan is going to fail anyway and they're going to be captured, the specifics of the plan itself don't matter. That's just lazy writing.

Getting to Dorne should be easy enough. Stalk things out, bribe a few servants, bam, you have Myrcella.

Doesn't seem that far fetched to me. Didn't she get kidnapped in the books too? It's not like she's in a prison.

Getting to Dorne should be easy enough. Stalk things out, bribe a few servants, bam, you have Myrcella.
I doubt it will be so easy, not for an outsider who has never been to Dorne.
Doesn't seem that far fetched to me. Didn't she get kidnapped in the books too? It's not like she's in a prison.
She wasn't kidnapped, she willingly left with a Martell and had a body double disguise it.

He can change his mind at anytime as the author. He already changed a lot of things for the better that he had initially planned after the first book. The worst scenario is to have his creativity limited to some agreement made years ago when he had an idea. I'm not saying he should change without a motive.

Man I don't know. That Jon, Tyrion, Arya love triangle would have been awesome!

Euron

People are complaining about endings over on Gaming Side but literally nothing phases me anymore after ADWD. Seriously, there are like what at least SEVEN different cliffhangers?

1) Jon's Caesar Moment
2) Whatever the hell happened with the Pink Letter
3) Jaime and Brienne going to Stoneheart
4) Battle of Meereen (I'll just group them all together)
5) Cersei's trial planned but not happening yet
6) Aegon planning to lead the attack on Storm's End
7) Dany meeting the Dothraki

Edit: Also Davos heading to Skaagos

That would be the worst possible outcome. Changing his years-in-the-making plan just to spite those he willingly sold the rights to? No thanks.

Well, he's already making noise about how the show is giving him ideas for a character twist, and how he can doing things with this character that aren't possible on the show, so him making changes, while not spiteful, to differentiate the books is definitely possible.

People are complaining about endings over on Gaming Side but literally nothing phases me anymore after ADWD. Seriously, there are like what at least SEVEN different cliffhangers?

1) Jon's Caesar Moment
2) Whatever the hell happened with the Pink Letter
3) Jaime and Brienne going to Stoneheart
4) Battle of Meereen (I'll just group them all together)
5) Cersei's trial planned but not happening yet
6) Aegon planning to lead the attack on Storm's End
7) Dany meeting the Dothraki

Edit: Also Davos heading to Skaagos

That's what happens when you write books without any real structure. ADWD was just the next group of assorted chapters that were finished at the time.

-griffy-

Banned
What if it's not about Ramsay doing something to Sansa or causing something to be done to Sansa, but Ramsay forcing Sansa to do something?

Violater

I was so fucked up with the possibility of Sansa being held captive by Ramsay that I forgot how Jaime and Bronn broventures in Dorne is crazy. I just hope that GRRM fuck everything and change all the stuff he said to D&D so we have two different stories.

Does this mean Bronn gets the sticky end of
axe1_3260771b.jpg

That's exactly what you're saying- that he should change his plan for the series to spite the show.

OK, so it is a motive, but it's a shitty and small-minded one.

No I'm not saying it. I might have used the wrong words. I want him to write the best story possible and if he changes the currently ending because he thought of a better one it would be even better for me, because it would spite the series and I'll never be spoiled by it.

No I'm not saying it. I might have used the wrong words. I want him to write the best story possible and if he changes the currently ending because he thought of a better one it would be even better for me, because it would spite the series and I'll never be spoiled by it.
I wouldn't count on GRRM having had a solid and detailed synopsis of the end game to hand over to D&D, just rough outlines. We saw from the publisher letter which leaked just how drastically his plans for books 2 and 3 changed in the time it took to write them.

MikeyB

What's wrong with her? I feel that her scenes this season are the best they've been since Season 1.

In Season 1, she's incompetent, but increasingly shown to be competent and resilient. Also, a lot happens to her. Married, essentially crowned, brother killed, fractures the Khalisar, then mother of dragons. And that's with limited screentime.

The last two episodes have featured her heavily and have repeatedly bludgeoned viewers over the head with the facts that an inexperienced child ruler is a terrible ruler, that changing social conventions takes time, and that she's abandoned the dragons which are the real source of her power. This could have been demonstrated in about a third of the time that they've devoted to her. Plus, nothing has happened. Nothing. She's as incompetent as she was when she killed the masters.

They've also done a really poor job of tying it to the arc of her character so far.

Massa

I doubt it will be so easy, not for an outsider who has never been to Dorne.

She wasn't kidnapped, she willingly left with a Martell and had a body double disguise it.

Right, it's still a very risky plan but I don't think it's that far fetched to think that with some money and travelling under the radar you could sneak her out of there. It's a better response to the Martell threat than simply asking for her.

Also, considering this is the guy who trew a kid out the window, stabbed the king in the back and jumped into a bear pit, covert ops in Dorne seems like a safe and boring thing to do.

That would be a sad end for a good character.

Fitting end though.

NeoGiff

Fitting end though.

I wonder how many Sand Snakes he'll take out in his boss fight with them beforehand though? They're so cool, they all use different weapons!

Jesus, I'm bitter today. I'm really looking forward to all the divergences this season, but the more I think about the possibilities, the more they piss me off.

NeoGiff

Sorry for the double post.

I don't agree with Elio and Linda a lot of the time, but they made a very good point in their latest video review. They basically said that no one in the show seems to be "anti-vengeance", and everyone is always gung ho about shedding blood. Not to mention this is one of the main selling points of the show, which HBO seems to love.

It happened with Cat in Season 1 ("And then we will kill them all"), and now with Ellaria's character changes it has happened again. Doran doesn't count, because as long as he keeps in line with his book counterpart, he's one vengeful motherfucker.

I just thought it was an interesting and valid point to make.

Kain

I wonder how many Sand Snakes he'll take out in his boss fight with them beforehand though? They're so cool, they all use different weapons!

Jesus, I'm bitter today. I'm really looking forward to all the divergences this season, but the more I think about the possibilities, the more they piss me off.

I've tried to isolate the books from the show but I can't and the more changes they make the more it pisses me off. I'm thinking of dropping the series because the adaption is so, SO bad.

The show itself is great, the production, art direction, the actors... everything is great, but this is not ASOIAF and I can't separate the two as much as I try. I hope it passes with time...

jett

D-Member
I wish Dany was a better character. I liked her in S1 and in the first three books, but she has since become unbearable in the show and in the novels. Sucks that we have to endure her antics until the very end.

-griffy-

Banned
I've tried to isolate the books from the show but I can't and the more changes they make the more it pisses me off. I'm thinking of dropping the series because the adaption is so, SO bad.

The show itself is great, the production, art direction, the actors... everything is great, but this is not ASOIAF and I can't separate the two as much as I try. I hope it passes with time...

It sounds like what you want is a translation of the book to show, not an adaptation, which by definition necessitates change and adjustment.

The last few seasons have been good television, and unfaithful adaptations of the books.

Unfortunately, faithful adaptation of AFFC/ADWD would make for extremely poor television.

I wish Dany was a better character. I liked her in S1 and in the first three books, but she has since become unbearable in the show and in the novels. Sucks that we have to endure her antics until the very end.

I dunno, it's entirely possible that we've already read the last Dany POV chapter.

-griffy-

Banned
You can adapt without butchering the original material, but I guess you do have a point.

Yes, but there are different ways for an adaptation to be faithful. It can be faithful in that it slavishly replicates scenes and lines of dialog from the book (see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) or it can be faithful to the character, spirit, and tone of the story while making the changes needed for the difference in medium (see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, or The Lord of the Rings films).

I think Game of Thrones is a pretty faithful adaptation in the latter regard, though obviously that is subjective. It's obviously a difficult line to walk, and it's completely up to the individual for what they'll put up with.

eot

Banned
The little things bother me more than the major divergences, like the "power is power" scene where Littlefinger talks to Cercei about the incest situation. His whole thing is to be inconspicuous, not to actively make enemies of people like Cercei because he's a nobody and she can have him killed just like that. It's an irrelevant scene, but that's also the problem because it doesn't fit.

The little things bother me more than the major divergences, like the "power is power" scene where Littlefinger talks to Cercei about the incest situation. His whole thing is to be inconspicuous, not to actively make enemies of people like Cercei because he's a nobody and she can have him killed just like that. It's an irrelevant scene, but that's also the problem because it doesn't fit.

That scene always bugged me too. I hadn't even read the books when that episode first aired and even then I thought it was ridiculous of him to threaten Psycho Cersei like that. She's the queen you dolt, why would you say those things?

There's a meme going around of how the series would have ended right there had Cersei killed him

Kain

But can you adapt a text so voluminous and stay within a real world budget?

Absolutely not, and as griffy said it's a completely subjective matter. I know it's my problem, but I really cannot stand many of the changes they have made, and it's getting worse.

NeoGiff

Holy shit, I just found out something both sleazy and hilarious casting-wise, but it contains spoilers for the next episode so it'll have to wait.

NeoGiff

Ok, so D&D apparently wrote a part especially for Emilia's body double. That part is [future episode spoilers]
a whore who dresses up as Dany and has her dress altered so that her ass is always out. I won't say what storyline it's in, but it's pretty obvious as it's straight from ADWD.

So meta.

Brakke

Banned
woooooooooooooooow weird
everyone got so used to Emilia T&A they salty she doesn't want to any more but we gunna throw them a bone??

Valhelm

contribute something
Does this mean Bronn gets the sticky end of

33% chance yes

Also, we're totally gonna see
Jorah in Volantis next episode. It's gonna be glorious.

Apparently the body double is an English model known as Rosie Mac, and she's only eighteen.

894948e633.jpg

Kain

Ok, so D&D apparently wrote a part especially for Emilia's body double. That part is [future episode spoilers]
a whore who dresses up as Dany and has her dress altered so that her ass is always out. I won't say what storyline it's in, but it's pretty obvious as it's straight from ADWD.

So meta.

But that's... totally normal according to what happens in ADWD.

Brakke

Banned
is that lady wearing makeup on her cleavage to make her cleavage more pronounced?

I watched a youtube video about how to do that once and now I'm always paranoid people are doing it >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom