• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

D & D may miss having a villain as hated as Joffrey. Seriously. Do non-readers really hate Ramsay right now? This would be a way to certainly do it.

Everyone would be all aboard team Stannis for sure in this case.

He doesn't seem to be on the same level as Joffrey yet if we go by the unsullied thread. Which is just weird to me, because I can't imagine that many readers like book Ramsay. hah.

They could do other stuff first.

They won't. They left Robin behind to tie off the loose ends in the Vale. And they didn't have all these traveling scenes so they could turn around and go back to the Vale. Harry the Heir also hasn't been cast, he won't be in the show this season and probably not ever.

Newest episode:

LF:"My marriage proposal has been accepted."

Sansa: "But I thought you were mourning my great aunt lysa"

LF: *scheme face*

It HAS to be Sansa replacing fArya.

...damn. Jeyne Poole is nowhere to be seen so this makes too much sense. fuck.

i don't know how i feel about this if true.

So I just finished season 1 (watched the last 6 episodes today haha) and I have some thoughts:

- Emilia Clarke is not a very good actress, at least when she's supposed to be getting angry. Or perhaps I'm retroactively disliking early Daenarys after how terrible she is in ADWD. At least Kit Harrington is amusing in his constant sad face.
- Not sure if I like the more sympathetic Cersei. She's such a good villain and already has clear motivations for her actions (though I'm not sure if those actions are understood until AFFC). Having her apparently have fallen for Robert in the beginning is a legitimately awful character change. I see people mentioning the lack of a villain. Well she could have been a great one...
- I know they can't transfer them to a TV show, but holy crap I miss reading Arya's internal thoughts. Aside from the scene being comically bad in the first place, not getting any reaction from Arya after killing that stable boy was extremely disappointing. It's such a significant moment in her development as a character and it's completely botched. I already know they remove the part in ASOS where she murders the shit out of those the Tickler and the squire boy, so it makes me feel like they're toning down her bloodthirst and willingness to kill people. Which is really weird considering the rest of the show.
- Varys and Littlefinger are amazing in this. Seriously they're so good. And it's even better knowing what they're planning for later on, even if they're later schemes are different from what goes on in the books. Bronn is also fantastic.
- I lol'd at them completely skipping the battle that Tyrion is in. I know why they did it, but it was still pretty funny.
- Also having characters give important information while two girls are doing it (or really, any naked girl on screen) is the idea ever. It's too distracting!

Overall it was pretty fantastic, with the weakest episodes being the first and the last. Looking forward to starting season 2 tomorrow!

Ratrat

hmm... so people are anticipating yet another non canon rape it seems...

I hope they don't ruin the best character arc in Dance too much.
Show Petyr was the guy who gave Ros to Joffrey so I don't know if doing anything to Sansa would be out of character for him.
A random whore vs the daughter of the love of his life.

Isn't Baelish the one who had Jeyne Poole trained in his whore house?

Joe

29nci8k.jpg

Well that is pretty shitty

Ratrat

Jon will "die" somehow even if the specifics change.

It doesn't look like the same pendant (though less terrible screens would help), what am I supposed to be seeing here?
Just checked my very blurry dvd and its exactly the same except it has that loop that attaches to the chain. So I guess Cersei gave Joffrey a cheap knockoff.

NeoGiff

We're all ignoring a more immediate problem: Jaime and Bronn's wacky misadventures in Dorne.

So, the plan is apparently for both of then to go on a covert spec ops rescue mission. They have to inconspicuously make their way to the Water Gardens, infiltrate the location unseen, somehow locate Myrcella alone, convince her to return with them, and then what? Swim home? We know from filming observations that
both of them arrive in Dorne on a beach, alone.
How is this even a plan?

It makes zero sense. It's as if D&D decided that since the plan is going to fail anyway and they're going to be captured, the specifics of the plan itself don't matter. That's just lazy writing.

Also, since in trailers and other behind the scenes stuff we've seen Jaime inside a Dornish building without Bronn, I think it's safe to say that either he's off fucking a Sand Snake or three, or Hotah's not-longaxe will be seeing some use.

This is all without mentioning the stupidity of Ellarianne's attitude to Doran. Her vengeful nature would make sense if she had heard of Oberyn's death second hand. But she was right there, she saw him exploit an opportunity to pursue revenge and get too cocky, leading to his death. But "Oberyn was murdered". Ok.

We're all ignoring a more immediate problem: Jaime and Bronn's wacky misadventures in Dorne.

So, the plan is apparently for both of then to go on a covert spec ops rescue mission. They have to inconspicuously make their way to the Water Gardens, infiltrate the location unseen, somehow locate Myrcella alone, convince her to return with them, and then what? Swim home? We know from filming observations that
How is this even a plan?

It makes zero sense. It's as if D&D decided that since the plan is going to fail anyway and they're going to be captured, the specifics of the plan itself don't matter. That's just lazy writing.

Also, since in trailers and other behind the scenes stuff we've seen Jaime inside a Dornish building without Bronn, I think it's safe to say that either he's off fucking a Sand Snake or three, or Hotah's not-longaxe will be seeing some use.

The plan does make little sense. Even if it succeeds, what is Dorne going to do once Myrcella is missing, they'll know who to blame, especially if Mycella appears in King's Landing. Jaime suggests this won't be an act of war, but I doubt the Dornish would see it that way. Both this and Littlefinger's apparent plans really feel like something the plot is forcing rather than actions the characters themselves would do.

This is all without mentioning the stupidity of Ellarianne's attitude to Doran. Her vengeful nature would make sense if she had heard of Oberyn's death second hand. But she was right there, she saw him exploit an opportunity to pursue revenge and get too cocky, leading to his death. But "Oberyn was murdered". Ok.
I don't have a problem with this. Her lover was killed by the Mountain, she's not rational about it. Wanting revenge here is not much of a stretch, only her ruthlessness may be, but show Ellaria hasn't been characterized prior in a way that clashes with this. It's no different from how many of the Dornish react to Oberyn's death in the books.

Though her dialogue with Doran could have been better written.

Moff

The plan does make little sense. Even if it succeeds, what is Dorne going to do once Myrcella is missing, they'll know who to blame, especially if Mycella appears in King's Landing. Jaime suggests this won't be an act of war, but I doubt the Dornish would see it that way.

"you got your kings sister back, we will go to war with you!" doesn't really sound resonable. unless they kill important people on their mission.
I still think the plan is dumb, it's such an action movie move, not something GRRM would write. well at least not up to ASOS. the quentyn plot was incredibly dumb, too, from start to finish.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah but he's already been shot, taken captive...burned.

The fight with the guy from Gin Alley.

Even when I read it in the book I knew he wasn't gonna be dead. Maybe he dies and is resurrected but not "Ned dead"

Speaking of which I think if he becomes a zombie in the book, he just won't "die" like that in the show anyway. They really downplay the magic to the point where it's not even in the show anymore. No Jon/Arya Warg, no Lightbringer, no Stoneheart.

Ratrat

"you got your kings sister back, we will go to war with you!" doesn't really sound resonable. unless they kill important people on their mission.
I still think the plan is dumb, it's such an action movie move, not something GRRM would write. well at least not up to ASOS. the quentyn plot was incredibly dumb, too, from start to finish.
But it perfectly mirrors that time when Barristan saved Aerys. It's only natural that Jaime would want to reinact this. Only he'll do it with one hand and without that whole army outside for backup.

It's more like "you entered our lands and stole our heir's fiance away, (probably) killing Dornishmen to do it." Add this onto Oberyn's death and the insult is really blatant. Even if war doesn't immediately result, Dorne would become an enemy waiting for its moment to strike.

But it perfectly mirrors that time when Barristan saved Aerys. It's only natural that Jaime would want to reinact this. Only he'll do it with one hand and without that whole army outside for backup.
And the part where Dorne is supposedly an ally, not a traitor holding the King hostage.

RedShift

The difference is Duskendale was in open defiance at that point, whereas the Lannisters don't want any hostilities with Dorne.

The mission makes no sense at all. They might as well send an army. Or just ask for her back like in ADWD.

How would you guys rank episodes 1 and 2 so far in comparison to other episodes 1 and 2.

For me, personally,

401 > 101 > 301 > 501 > 201

402 > 502 > 102 > 302 > 202

Breaking marriage pacts is kind of big deal, it didn't work out so well for Robb when he tried it.

I thought Jamie in Dorne plot was just going to be him going there as an honoured guest (like Balon Swann does in Dance) and then things would escalate as he got mixed up in the queenmaker plot. A covert rescue mission does sound pretty dumb.

eot

Banned

How is this even a plan?

There's short shot of Jaime in the beginning of this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Bo89m2f6g

You see Hotah's poleaxe, to me it looks like he's been captured. And yeah, the plan doesn't make much sense to me, it's just a slightly lazy way to shoehorn everything they want to show on screen at the same time.

Yeah but he's already been shot, taken captive...burned.

The fight with the guy from Gin Alley.

Even when I read it in the book I knew he wasn't gonna be dead. Maybe he dies and is resurrected but not "Ned dead"

Speaking of which I think if he becomes a zombie in the book, he just won't "die" like that in the show anyway. They really downplay the magic to the point where it's not even in the show anymore. No Jon/Arya Warg, no Lightbringer, no Stoneheart.

They ended last season on CoF throwing fireballs. How is that downplaying it?

Show Petyr was the guy who gave Ros to Joffrey so I don't know if doing anything to Sansa would be out of character for him.
Yeah I forgot Ros existed in the show. It seems she was included in to make Littlefinger clearly an evil character (that scene after the murder of Robert's baby bastard at the brothel). By the way, the directors sided with Varys in his scheme war against Littlefinger. In the books, we don't really know what actually Varys and Littlefinger are thinking due to the lacking of POV chapters and that's anazing. But in the show it seems that we have Varys as the "good" guy and Littlefinger as the "bad" guy.

X-Frame

Can anyone elaborate on the reason why all Captains of Braavos are required to carry anyone carrying the iron coin to Braavos? I can't remember if I read an explanation in the books.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I forgot Ros existed in the show. It seems she was included in to make Littlefinger clearly an evil character (that scene after the murder of Robert's baby bastard at the brothel). By the way, the directors sided with Varys in his scheme war against Littlefinger. In the books, we don't really know what actually Varys and Littlefinger are thinking due to the lacking of POV chapters and that's anazing. But in the show it seems that we have Varys as the "good" guy and Littlefinger as the "bad" guy.

Littlefinger would clearly be the best king on the Iron Throne. Shit would get done and stay done.

duckroll

Can anyone elaborate on the reason why all Captains of Braavos are required to carry anyone carrying the iron coin to Braavos? I can't remember if I read an explanation in the books.

They know what the House of Black and White represents, and they respect the culture and tradition it has established in Braavos.

JakeD

one reason might be that faceless men will not assassinate people they know from their previous life, so anyone who comes across a faceless man in training will do things to be remembered, to prevent being assassinated in the future

So I just finished season 1 (watched the last 6 episodes today haha) and I have some thoughts:

- Emilia Clarke is not a very good actress, at least when she's supposed to be getting angry. Or perhaps I'm retroactively disliking early Daenarys after how terrible she is in ADWD. At least Kit Harrington is amusing in his constant sad face.
- Not sure if I like the more sympathetic Cersei. She's such a good villain and already has clear motivations for her actions (though I'm not sure if those actions are understood until AFFC). Having her apparently have fallen for Robert in the beginning is a legitimately awful character change. I see people mentioning the lack of a villain. Well she could have been a great one...
- I know they can't transfer them to a TV show, but holy crap I miss reading Arya's internal thoughts. Aside from the scene being comically bad in the first place, not getting any reaction from Arya after killing that stable boy was extremely disappointing. It's such a significant moment in her development as a character and it's completely botched. I already know they remove the part in ASOS where she murders the shit out of those the Tickler and the squire boy, so it makes me feel like they're toning down her bloodthirst and willingness to kill people. Which is really weird considering the rest of the show.
- Varys and Littlefinger are amazing in this. Seriously they're so good. And it's even better knowing what they're planning for later on, even if they're later schemes are different from what goes on in the books. Bronn is also fantastic.
- I lol'd at them completely skipping the battle that Tyrion is in. I know why they did it, but it was still pretty funny.
- Also having characters give important information while two girls are doing it (or really, any naked girl on screen) is the idea ever. It's too distracting!

Overall it was pretty fantastic, with the weakest episodes being the first and the last. Looking forward to starting season 2 tomorrow!

Oh man, this scene was complete shit. There was nothing about it that wasn't awkward.

We've had Turner claiming that she was in a "horrible" scene a couple of months ago, and now we have Alfie Allen talking about what seems to be the same scene.

Everything seems to be leading up to Sansa being doomed at the hands of Ramsay, and Brienne showing up to rescue her (and maybe die).

It seems pretty safe to say that that's exactly where the show is going now.

Yeah, I remember that but I really hope it's something Sansa sees not one she's the victim of.

I think it's more likely that Sansa is gonna reverse Red Wedding those fuckers as a stand in for Wyman Manderly, not end up fleeing with Theon.

I wish.

X-Frame

They know what the House of Black and White represents, and they respect the culture and tradition it has established in Braavos.

one reason might be that faceless men will not assassinate people they know from their previous life, so anyone who comes across a faceless man in training will do things to be remembered, to prevent being assassinated in the future

Interesting, thanks you two!

TCRS

Banned
alright, all caught up. so far I've enjoyed the two episodes. not sure if I've already been spoiled (I haven't read any TWOW chapters), I'm a bit paranoid about that but it can't be avoided I guess. I fucking hate the fake mereneese language though, sounds so bad. In fact I hate all these fake languages.

Drogon looked boss man. as did Emilia <3 she seems to have improved her acting skills, no weird faces or lame performance so far.

NeoGiff

alright, all caught up. so far I've enjoyed the two episodes. not sure if I've already been spoiled (I haven't read any TWOW chapters), I'm a bit paranoid about that but it can't be avoided I guess. I fucking hate the fake mereneese language though, sounds so bad. In fact I hate all these fake languages.

Drogon looked boss man. as did Emilia <3 she seems to have improved her acting skills, no weird faces or lame performance so far.

You're probably the only person in the world who thinks this.

NeoGiff

I thought the show replaced everything that is not common tongue with Valyrian.

Eh... Dothraki?

And there are two versions of Valyrian in the show, just like the books. The guttural Low Valyrian spoken by Kraznys, and High Valyrian spoken by Dany and the Meereenese.

David Peterson confirmed that Old Ghiscari is a dead language by the time of the show, but words like "Mhysa" have wormed their way into common use of Valyrian.

I can see people's point that sending Jaime covertly to Dorne is a stupid plan.

I don't, however, see how this is a problem, seeing as its the brainchild of a crippled, middle-aged knight desperate to prove himself, and a woman so stupid that she deliberately raises a religious military force against herself.

Yes, Jaime sneaking into Dorne is probably just going to make things worse, but the same is true of everything Cersei's going to do this season.

TCRS

Banned
oh yeah I really enjoyed that part with the uncle (did they change the actor? not sure) giving her a dressing down. this is going to be fun :D

Please George or show creators.. please kill Dany.... you can even keep Ramsey alive.. just get rid of Dany...

Every one of her scenes is becoming gut wrenching

I was so fucked up with the possibility of Sansa being held captive by Ramsay that I forgot how Jaime and Bronn broventures in Dorne is crazy. I just hope that GRRM fuck everything and change all the stuff he said to D&D so we have two different stories.

NeoGiff

I was so fucked up with the possibility of Sansa being held captive by Ramsay that I forgot how Jaime and Bronn broventures in Dorne is crazy. I just hope that GRRM fuck everything and change all the stuff he said to D&D so we have two different stories.

That would be the worst possible outcome. Changing his years-in-the-making plan just to spite those he willingly sold the rights to? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom