• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a pretty huge difference though:

Ellarianne wants to mutilate and slowly kill Myrcella.
Arianne wants to crown her.

I wonder how much that is intended to be taken literally, or if Ellaria is providing as much hyperbole as she thinks necessary to try to stir Doran to take action...cause I'm thinking that makes more sense.

NeoGiff

I wonder how much that is intended to be taken literally, or if Ellaria is providing as much hyperbole as she thinks necessary to try to stir Doran to take action...cause I'm thinking that makes more sense.

I bloody well hope so. But the fact that it makes sense means that it's probably not the case.

Yep. I'm on board with this.

I just think there really are boundaries this show won't cross, and sexual violence (actual, not tearing her dress like in S2) against one of the Stark daughters is one of them.

Plus, from a writer's perspective isn't rape on the wedding night kind of limiting? If I was writing the show I'd want to really get creative in showcasing Sansa's newfound resolve and maturity while not losing any of Ramsay's hair trigger psychoticness.

scosher

I still feel like Melisandre is going to deliberately sacrifice Shireen to bring back Jon once she fully accepts that it's him that's Azor Ahai and not Stannis. The backlash from that is something I really want to see.

I believe Shireen's role in the story has more to do with her greyscale than being any sort of possible sacrifice for Melisandre. ADWD really emphasizes the condition, both with how it's viewed by Val and the Wildlings, and the stone men during Tyrion's voyage east. Perhaps the White Walkers can control those afflicted with greyscale, much like how they control the dead. Would explain why Wildlings fear it so much and kill anyone who is infected. Ever since Shireen was cast, I figured she had some important role to play down the line that we just haven't read about yet. She's a character that could've been easily cut completely from the show, or at least not sail north with Stannis, but obviously D&D kept her in for a reason.

There was also some talk of how Craster dealt with his greyscale daughters that piqued Sam's interest in this episode, and it sounded like Craster offered them up to the White Walkers just like he did with male babies.

I believe Shireen's role in the story has more to do with her greyscale than being any sort of possible sacrifice for Melisandre. ADWD really emphasizes the condition, both with how it's viewed by Val and the Wildlings, and the stone men during Tyrion's voyage east. Perhaps the White Walkers can control those afflicted with greyscale, much like how they control the dead. Would explain why Wildlings fear it so much and kill anyone who is infected. Ever since Shireen was cast, I figured she had some important role to play down the line that we just haven't read about yet. She's a character that could've been easily cut completely from the show, or at least not sail north with Stannis, but obviously D&D kept her in for a reason.

There was also some talk of how Craster dealt with his greyscale daughters that piqued Sam's interest in this episode, and it sounded like Craster offered them up to the White Walkers just like he did with male babies.

Shireen will be the queen of the dead and the true ruler westeros deserves

cLOUDo

Guys, guys. Varys is the obvious endgame. The Merking of the Scaly Throne.

Why do you think I chose this avatar? So I and my slimy king can scoff at and give the stinkeye to all of your petty predictions.

jorah kill him and kidnap Tyrion

hoos30

The main issue with that is that we know from Charlotte Hope's resume that she's in at least one of episodes 9-10, and Alfie says this happens in about the middle of the season.
How would an actor know which episode their scene ends up in?

Sean C

How would an actor know which episode their scene ends up in?
The scripts they're working off and the directors they're working with. CVs routinely list the directors and are accurate.

This sounds plausible and absolutely boring. Warm her up Reek would have a much bigger impact
Having bigger impact is not a desirable goal in and of itself if it involves things like rewriting Sansa's arc to make her a rape victim.

Lothar

Banned
This sounds plausible and absolutely boring. Warm her up Reek would have a much bigger impact

I agree. I wouldn't like to see it happen from the perspective that I also didn't enjoy the Red Wedding for the first time but from a storytelling perspective, I would be impressed. That is something that would have similar reactions to the red wedding. Everyone would be talking about the next day. People really would see Ramsay as more of a villain than Joffrey. I miss the hatred everyone had for Joffrey.

Sean C

I agree. I wouldn't like to see it happen from the perspective that I also didn't enjoy the Red Wedding for the first time but from a storytelling perspective, I would be impressed. That is something that would have similar reactions to the red wedding. Everyone would be talking about the next day. People really would see Ramsay as more of a villain than Joffrey. I miss the hatred everyone had for Joffrey.
Sansa isn't just a device to make people hate Ramsay. She's one of the main characters.

Dysun

The scripts they're working off and the directors they're working with. CVs routinely list the directors and are accurate.

Having bigger impact is not a desirable goal in and of itself if it involves things like rewriting Sansa's arc to make her a rape victim.
They've thrown away logic before for shock factor, like Robb bringing his pregnant wife to the Red Wedding, so it's not something they are above

Its consistent with Ramsay's character, and if they are putting Sansa in this situation it's an obvious inevitability

Sean C

Its consistent with Ramsay's character, and if they are putting Sansa in this situation it's an obvious inevitability
No, it's not "inevitable", as in something they could not avoid writing. They've rewritten many such plots. If they rewrite Sansa's plot to include rape, it's because they wanted to.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ok, so D&D apparently wrote a part especially for Emilia's body double. That part is [future episode spoilers]
a whore who dresses up as Dany and has her dress altered so that her ass is always out. I won't say what storyline it's in, but it's pretty obvious as it's straight from ADWD.

So meta.

oh my lord

Dysun

No, it's not "inevitable", as in something they could not avoid writing. They've rewritten many such plots. If they rewrite Sansa's plot to include rape, it's because they wanted to.

Actually it kinda is, barring some unforeseen circumstance Ramsay has to consummate the marriage and she's not going to go into that willingly I would imagine. Roose Bolton isn't going to want that hanging in the air ala Tywin/Tyrion. We know how vile a creature Ramsay is compared to Tyrion as well. The only way they write themselves out of this corner is if the escape/Siege occurs immediately after the marriage.

Ratrat

I don't see why Sansa needs to marry Ramsay. She doesn't need him to claim the north. Why would Littlefinger orchestrate a RW 2.0 that involves Sansa being tortured and raped when he's grooming her to be queen? How would they even pull that off with so few men? How is Littlefinger even in a place to marry off or verify a fake Arya without the Kings permission as she is supposed to be a hostage?

NeoGiff

I don't see why Sansa needs to marry Ramsay. She doesn't need him to claim the north. Why would Littlefinger orchestrate a RW 2.0 that involves Sansa being tortured and raped when he's grooming her to be queen? How would they even pull that off with so few men? How is Littlefinger even in a place to marry off or verify a fake Arya without the Kings permission as she is supposed to be a hostage?

The consensus is that he's not marrying her off as fake anyone, but as Sansa Stark, do she can take them down from within.

Which still makes no sense.

Forkball

I don't see any other notable "still alive in the books" deaths beyond the heavily rumored ones. They certainly aren't going to kill off Stannis, Roose, or Ramsay this year unless it's an off screen report that may or may not be true. I also hate the mere notion of Brienne killing Stannis. There's no way she's going to get anywhere near him.

Ratrat

The consensus is that he's not marrying her off as fake anyone, but as Sansa Stark, do she can take them down from within.

Oh...

Well it's good he's throwing her into Ramsays clutches without warning or form of protection. I'm sure she's more than equipped to deal with him. Ramsay agreeing to marry Tyrions wife who is currently wanted by the people giving him power is pretty mind boggling but there may be a clever explanation for that.

Moff

isn't the plan obvious?

if he will really marry sansa to ramsey, he wants stannis to kill him after the wedding and sansa would become the ruler of the north.

then littlefinger would marry her himself and would be one of the, if not the the most powerful man of westeros and a huge step closer to being king.

I don't see any other notable "still alive in the books" deaths beyond the heavily rumored ones. They certainly aren't going to kill off Stannis, Roose, or Ramsay this year unless it's an off screen report that may or may not be true. I also hate the mere notion of Brienne killing Stannis. There's no way she's going to get anywhere near him.

I think there is a good chance Ramsay dies, I would not put him in the safe category. And they are pushing the Brienne/Stannis angle hard, there certainly is a likelihood she encounters him.

Forkball

isn't the plan obvious?

if he will really marry sansa to ramsey, he wants stannis to kill him after the wedding and sansa would become the ruler of the north.

then littlefinger would marry her himself and would be one of the, if not the the most powerful man of westeros and a huge step closer to being king.
Many would claim Sansa as the ruler of the north without the marriage. The marriage only helps the Boltons. The only advantage to having her marry Ramsay would be as a plan B if Stannis is defeated. Then Sansa could Littlefinger them from the inside, or serve as a reason for the North to rebel against the Boltons. Still, I would wait for Stannis to attack, see the outcome, and then decide what Sansa's best role would be if I was Littlefinger.

Ratrat

isn't the plan obvious?

His plan hinges on Stannis and his minuscule army defeating the Bolton and Northern houses. And given Ramsays reputation, Sansa would be lucky to be alive at that point. That is to say, she would choose immediate death before bearing a son and then death.

Moff

Many would claim Sansa as the ruler of the north without the marriage. The marriage only helps the Boltons. The only advantage to having her marry Ramsay would be as a plan B if Stannis is defeated. Then Sansa could Littlefinger them from the inside, or serve as a reason for the North to rebel against the Boltons. Still, I would wait for Stannis to attack, see the outcome, and then decide what Sansa's best role would be if I was Littlefinger.

well stannis just wanted to make jon lord of winterfell, littlefingers plan would be done for good if that happened. I don't agree the marriage only helps the boltons.
what if ramsey is wedding someone else? what if the boltons insited on the wedding sooner? sure, many would support sansa, but many wouldnt. I don't think littlefinger wants do deal with that kind of civil war in the north.

His plan hinges on Stannis and his minuscule army defeating the Bolton and Northern houses. And given Ramsays reputation, Sansa would be lucky to be alive at that point. That is to say, she would choose immediate death before bearing a son and then death.

Well it's not clear that Stannis' army is miniscule in the show. He did just hire a bunch of mercenaries too.

hoos30

I've read that the directing and writing credits aren't accurate at all, they just approximate. Do they really fly the directing staff between three or four different locales for each episode? And have all of those actors and production staff just sitting around until they get back?

bengraven

I'll give you this one, if only because I know exactly how it feels to not have proof of your invention.
I invented and tweeted "The Roose is Loose" back in Season 3.

Edit: Actually, that's not right. I said "Roose is on the Loose", and then someone else changed it to the much better "The Roose is Loose".

Can I have some while we're at it?

Sansay
Briennrick
Rickshaw
Tossed Salladhor

hoos30

isn't the plan obvious?

It could work. Once Sansa marries Ramsey, the Northern houses essentially rebel against the Boltons. Stannis arrives to finish them off and gets killed by Brienne in the process.

Iksenpets

Banned

I really think this plot would make so much more sense with Alayne instead of Sansa. You lose the Boltons-marrying-for-Stark-name angle, but no one really cares about that, and reframing it as a North-Vale alliance between Roose and Baelish would be a plausible enough motivation. And then Alayne would have so much more freedom to act in Winterfell without suspicion. Why would the Boltons ever let the real Sansa out of their sight? They have to know their subjects want her instead of them.

I was pretty ok with RamSan at first because I thought this was where they were going with it, and naybe I'll be ok with it once we get past the initial flimsy motives and are able to just accept it as fact and watch the future scenes for what they are, but man they picked the weirdest, least plausible way of making this happen.

Can I have some while we're at it?

Sansay
Briennrick
Rickshaw
Tossed Salladhor

I'm just glad D&D didn't do my off-season theory of a Grey Worm-Shavepate merger. Saved me from having to coin Grey Wormo Kendaq.

Patriots7

Plan makes no sense.
Marrying Ramsay does not legitimize Sansa by any means. She is the current (to most) heir to Winterfell already.

This just helps the Boltons. It's so illogical.

Moff

Plan makes no sense.
Marrying Ramsay does not legitimize Sansa by any means. She is the current (to most) heir to Winterfell already.

This just helps the Boltons. It's so illogical.

thats not true at all, that is saying dany could just walk to the iron throne and sit down and be done with it

How could they announce Sansa openly though? I don't think the show can just gloss over the Sansa being wanted for regicide thing. It maybe won't seem so incongruous from a show only perspective, but I'm sure Sansa has made several references to being frightened of the queen finding her.

Ratrat

thats not true at all, that is saying dany could just walk to the iron throne and sit down and be done with it
She could if it was the Martells and Tyrells in power in Kings Landing.
Well it's not clear that Stannis' army is miniscule in the show. He did just hire a bunch of mercenaries too.
Ah, forgot about that. It still seems like the kind of gamble Littlefinger wouldn't take. He would watch and wait imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom