• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah 2 is the worst. But it has the best episode (Blackwater)

I'd agree with this. Blackwater was really done. But season 2 as a whole is pretty shitty. Dany's storyline is terrible, but I guess I can give them credit for trying something. They murdered Jon's storyline. And Arya and Tywin was cute at first, but it shouldn't have been the majority of her time at Harrenhal.

Kaladin

lol don't bring that shit in here

next someone'll ask about the tipping customs in Westeros vs Essos ;_;

If someone tipped everywhere they went in Westeros, they would probably get robbed by thieves who were working for one of the establishments they tipped so generously.

NeoGiff

I haven't checked the thread for a while, what did I miss?

Oh...

pEtFEJP.gif

Sean C

As a man, how does one urinate without a penis?
Realistically, Theon should have died of infection as a result of the way that would mess up his urinary system. With modern surgical work, you may be able to make it work, but not with Medieval medicine (not to mention, Ramsay keeps him in a filthy dungeon while he keeps cutting pieces off him).

Realistically, Theon should have died of infection as a result of the way that would mess up his urinary system. With modern surgical work, you may be able to make it work, but not with Medieval medicine (not to mention, Ramsay keeps him in a filthy dungeon while he keeps cutting pieces off him).

I have thought about this.

Speevy

Banned
I want to see a scene where Sansa is with the Boltons, and Little finger brings with him thousands of Northern banner men to slaughter the Bolton's and the Frey's, and retake the north. That would be awesome, but unlikely.

I always wondered how Martin would explain all the castrated people in his novels with that ancient medicine. Maybe he thinks it works like cutting cats?

I always wondered how Martin would explain all the castrated people in his novels with that ancient medicine. Maybe he thinks it works like cutting cats?

They pour boiling wine in every wound. That seems pretty scientific.

Actually, there are a couple of mentions of maesters using moldy bread poultices, which is how you'd make medieval penicillin.

Sean C

Yeah I felt that way writing it, but I assume that would be the way to castrate someone in ancient times and keep them alive
If you want to castrate someone and keeping them alive, you just sever the testicles. That doesn't affect the urinary tract, and is quite survivable. But in GRRM's novels they always cut off the penis too (Varys, Theon, the whole Unsullied system), which the ancients did not do if they weren't trying to kill the person.

Interesting theory about why Jamie is going to Dorne:

Jamie is going to Dorne thanks to a combination of actual and manufactured guilt by none other than Cersei. At first I wondered why she would present Jamie with this "Dornish" threat box, fully knowing what was inside only to reassemble it for him to open it again. However, the goal remains the same - get Myrcella back from the Dornish.

Then it dawned on me: Cersei set this whole thing up. Cersei had the box created as well as putting the necklace inside. We see that Myrcella is absolutely fine, so the whole scenario of getting the necklace from her seems shady considering. I think that the necklace is in fact the one Sansa was wearing in Season 1 that Joffrey gave her (or it's absolutely possible that Cersei lied and that the necklace isn't rare at all). In any case, Jamie seems to be this extremely predictable guilt ridden husk of his former self and who better than Cersei than to take advantage of such a thing. Jamie is no longer fully tractable to her, like Qyburn seems to be, so getting him out of King's Landing makes sense for her. But she's also Cersei and we know she would do anything to get Myrcella back, and Jamie is the only person other than her to give a hoot about Myrcella.

I think this is all part of Jamie's role as the Valanqar, as this scenario sets up the rift between he and Cersei. He will likely go speak to Doran (we see him with Hotah in the trailers), and find that no one sent such a device to King's Landing, and/or that Myrcella still has her necklace. He will be extra pissed because Bronn will likely die as a result of this deception by Cersei (just added tinfoil, but it adds another layer of anger towards her). At some point Jamie will return safely to King's Landing (perhaps with Myrcella) and fulfill the Valanqar aspect of Maggy's prophecy.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Speevy

Banned
I'm getting weary that those theories are all things straight from the leaked episodes

I think the show needs all of its biggest players alive until 5.10, so I doubt it. Also, some of these theories leave the show with nowhere to go for season 6.

3 episodes into S2, it isn't too bad. Amused at how they had to include a random as hell 3 minute Dany scene just to have her appear on screen in the last 2 hours. Not too bothered by the book changes that much (though Jon seeing a white walker? I feel like that's a problem somehow), though I'm kind of bummed we don't get to see how Arya is also a badass survivalist who can make it alone for like weeks without help. Also disappointed to see Margaery's scheming personality revealed so early. Having her reveal her true nature when confronting Cersei in AFFC/ADWD is such a great reveal moment.

I also don't really get the fascination with turning despicable assholes into sympathetic characters. Theon is supposed be a piece of shit, not some dude that actually really wants to help out Robb but his jerk of dad won't let him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom