• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
What are the rules or laws concerning depicting simulated sex with children? No nudity or is that even a thing?

But yeah, the boy king is already 17 or 18.

foxtrot3d

Banned
What are the rules or laws concerning depicting simulated sex with children? No nudity or is that even a thing?

But yeah, the boy king is already 17 or 18.

Which makes Cercei's rule as Regent all the more perplexing. It's those small things that make the show world less convincing, all of the complex political trappings are lost in translation. Oh well.

The Bran scene was dumb but it's over and we don't have to relive it.

I would much rather the Greyjoy dog scene be cut from the show.

Am I the only one that didn't have any problems with either scene? The dog bit wasn't saying that Asha/Yara was afraid of dogs it was that the entire Dreadfort was alerted, if you want to nitpick you should nitpick the fact that they managed to escape alive at all. As for the Bran scene, I had no problem with the whole skeleton fight and fireball magic especially when the show has suppressed what little magic there is in the books. My only minor complaint is how Bloodraven looked, just some old dude in a tree. The whole point of his situation in the books is that he can't physically leave and meet Bran since he's practically a part of a tree. But, in the show it looks like he could just hop down at any time. That's just a minor complaint though.

Am I the only one that didn't have any problems with either scene? The dog bit wasn't saying that Asha/Yara was afraid of dogs it was that the entire Dreadfort was alerted, if you want to nitpick you should nitpick the fact that they managed to escape alive at all.

Not at all. Couple that with Theon being totally broken and it makes sense, if a little poorly executed.

The way that people have just taken the dog scene as an inherent sign of the showrunners' uselessness totally baffles me.

That's literally how he's described in the book, though. The only difference is that there's no root through his eye.

There are a lot of issues to be had with that scene, but Bloodraven's design is the least of them.
The books description isn't "...and there he was... Some old geezer slumped against a stack of twigs." In the book, he's described as looking like a corpse with tattered strips of flesh hanging of a yellowed skull and has roots weaving in and out of his body. You can't tell me having him look skeletal would have been too much work, there were dozens of the skeleton dudes running around outside.

The best part was they had him speak the line which directly references that fact he has one eye. It's almost like the show makers didn't understand what that line meant in the book.

The books description isn't "...and there he was... Some old geezer slumped against a stack of twigs." In the book, he's described as looking like a corpse with tattered strips of flesh hanging of a yellowed skull and has roots weaving in and out of his body. You can't tell me having him look skeletal would have been too much work, there were dozens of the skeleton dudes running around outside.

The best part was they had him speak the line which directly references that fact he has one eye. It's almost like the show makers didn't understand what that line meant in the book.

Well they couldn't go too overboard with makeup and prosthetics considering how much he was going to be onscreen this seas- oh wait

150425_nikolaj_coster-waldau__whcd_gty_1160.jpg

Give the man some kind of throne. Next ruler of Tarth please.

Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is as happy an ending as Jaime will get.

kirblar

Let's consider that this entails what we think it entails.

On one hand, Dean-Charles Chapman is of legal age. On the other, with the aging-up of the characters, this quite accurately evokes the sexual aspect of medieval life.

There is absolutely no problem here, and that makes the imminent controversial clickbait shitstorm all the worse.
Yup. They're showing things as they were, not as they should be.

Patriots7

can't wait to see pryce in action, I hope they don't waste him

really?
how old was dany supposed to be in season 1?
I was just surprised that they were gonna sexualize Tommen/Margaery. Just rules out Marg getting arrested alongside Cersei. (

Aging up Tommen was a bad idea.

I like what they're doing with Tommen.
Instead of being innocent and naive due to age, he simply becomes a "what-if" version of Joffrey - one that isn't a sociopath but rather innocent and slightly naive. That makes it so much more enjoyable once he ends up being killed off due to that innocence and naivety (like as some posters have speculated, him going off into a crowd as he tried to be a people's king - and getting shanked.)

Aging Tommen is one of the few things I think the show did better than the books. He has a more interesting and calm personality than his cry baby counterpart.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's literally how he's described in the book, though. The only difference is that there's no root through his eye.

There are a lot of issues to be had with that scene, but Bloodraven's design is the least of them.

Seated on his throne of roots in the great cavern, half-corpse and half-tree, Lord Brynden seemed less a man than some ghastly statue made of twisted wood, old bone, and rotted wool. The only thing that looked alive in the pale ruin that was his face was his one red eye, burning like the last coal in a dead fire, surrounded by twisted roots and tatters of leathery white skin hanging off a yellowed skull.

The sight of him still frightened Bran - the weirwood roots snaking in and out of his withered flesh, the mushrooms sprouting from his cheeks, the white wooden worm that grew from the socket where one eye had been.

vs

Brakke

Banned
Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is as happy an ending as Jaime will get.

How can he be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch if there won't even be need of a Night's Watch by series's end? Either the Others come down south of the wall for good or they get blasted in dragonflame. No way we return to the standoff we started on.

Yup. They're showing things as they were, not as they should be.

No they're showing things as they should be: should should all be so lucky as to come back as cool skeleton dudes to stab kiddos that's way cooler than the way things are.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Aging Tommen is one of the few things I think the show did better than the books. He has a more interesting and calm personality than his cry baby counterpart.

Eh, I disagree. Tommen isn't really supposed to be a character in the books just a little kid. Also, his young age is the reason why Cercei is able to rule and serve as Regent. At the moment it makes no sense why Tommen just doesn't go "alright Mom, time for you to pack things up and go back to the Rock. I'm in charge now."

Whatttt. How are people hating on book Tommen? He's so cute! It's hilarious that he's king and it makes sense with Cersei's arc and her trying to be in control.

GRRM does a lot more with baby Tommen than Benioff & Weiss and their old Tommen.

They made Tommen older so he could fuck Margaery.

Eh, I disagree. Tommen isn't really supposed to be a character in the books just a little kid. Also, his young age is the reason why Cercei is able to rule and serve as Regent. At the moment it makes no sense why Tommen just doesn't go "alright Mom, time for you to pack things up and go back to the Rock. I'm in charge now."

Eh, they aren't playing him that old. He's playing a mid-teens teenager, not exactly fit to rule the kingdoms without some serious assistance.

Montresor

Alright so I finally finished book 3 and loved it so frigging much.

I've started book 4 and I'm already surprised and a tiny bit apprehensive. The first few chapter names are "the prophet" and "captain of the guards". I'm used to seeing character names like Jaime, Catelyn, Tyrion, etc.. so I just have the weird feeling that Im not going to get any of this.

I watched all four previous seasons and THEN read books 1-3. I'm wondering if that's a perspective that's worth preserving...This will all be new to me and will be the first time I read a book that isn't the official focus of an already fully released season in the show.

Brakke

Banned

I've started book 4 and I'm already surprised and a tiny bit apprehensive. The first few chapter names are "the prophet" and "captain of the guards". I'm used to seeing character names like Jaime, Catelyn, Tyrion, etc.. so I just have the weird feeling that Im not going to get any of this.

I watched all four previous seasons and THEN read books 1-3. I'm wondering if that's a perspective that's worth preserving...This will all be new to me and will be the first time I read a book that isn't the official focus of an already fully released season in the show.

Book 4 & 5 are weird because they split by geography, not time. There are characters you love that you won't see at all in 4. I'm currently re-reading 4/5 right now following this (http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons); it might be a better way to go.

You might like to talk about this in the book thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=433233

Valhelm

contribute something

In the show he's pretty damn corpselike. I'm not sure what they could have done better, other than some gruesome, Pirates of the Caribbean-style makeup.

I know, that's why I prefer an older version of him. A little kid doesn't add much to the story. But now I can see interesting things going on with him and Margaery beacause of the change.

For the rest, a grown up kid could also be bossed by his mother if he fears or respect her and that's the case. He could still be her puppet with that age, stuff like that happens in real life. Actually most teenagers still obey their parents even if they hate it.

In the show he's pretty damn corpselike. I'm not sure what they could have done better, other than some gruesome, Pirates of the Caribbean-style makeup.

Ehhh, he looks like a bearded man in his 80's with bad posture. Not quite a corpse. They could have at least had the actor do a long blink to feign having one eye.

As Brakke said, read a combined version of AFFC/ADWD. I'm reading A Ball of Beasts. It really does improve both books immeasurably.

Montresor

Book 4 & 5 are weird because they split by geography, not time. There are characters you love that you won't see at all in 4. I'm currently re-reading 4/5 right now following this (http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons); it might be a better way to go.

You might like to talk about this in the book thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=433233

As Brakke said, read a combined version of AFFC/ADWD. I'm reading A Ball of Beasts. It really does improve both books immeasurably.

Thanks for the tips, I think ill stick with reading book 4 as is but I'm incredibly happy I know about the structure and what to expect in terms of characters and geography ahead of time. I'll consider the nook thread link as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom