• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
NeoGiff=Karl?

And back on topic: Does everyone think we'll hear about the valonqar later this season? Maggy did only say 2/3 things.

I'm pretty sure she got three questions in. One of them was just a response to the first question. I don't think we'll be getting the valonqar are any more Cersei flashback. I think they wanted to establish her paranoia about her children, but they agree with the general criticism of the valonqar scene that her animosity towards Tyrion didn't need further justification.

Also, thought that just occurred to me. If Cersei really is tricking Jaime, then it would be fitting to have Bronn somehow end up taking the Darkstar role and actually kill Myrcella instead of just maiming her, because then Cersei would have inadvertently caused her death in her paranoia. Bronn never would have been there if she hadn't freaked out and concocted a lie to send Jaime there. I could also see them having Cersei's empowerment of the Faith eventually lead to Tommen's death, too.

Speevy

Banned
Tommen's death will be something like this.

Thinking of his wife's charitable works, he walks into an orphanage or some other place he thinks is safe.

He is approached by a random kindly man who offers his hand in friendship, and Tommen walks among the people. He tells his guards that is okay, and that the people won't hurt him. He shakes the man's hands, and suddenly the mob turns violent. They stab him in the back before the guard can defend Tommen, thus ending the life of the gentle but naive boy king. He tried to be just, pious, powerful, and wise, but in the end he lacked the vision to see that his enemies were around him the whole time. Tywin and Joffrey had just been keeping them at bay.

My question is this. If Stannis fails/gets killed and Tommen is slain, who the hell takes the big chair?

Beautiful Death poster for "The House of Black and White"

tumblr_nnbeklk9d21tuzdqso1_1280.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Sssssss steam heat.

I got ssssssss steam heat.

I got ssssssssss steam heat.

But I need your love to take away the cold.

Patriots7

Whoa.

Just realized. Without Willas or Garlan, who's next in line for the Tyrells? Show has all of their eggs in Maergaery and Loras.

Also, more general question. What happens to heirs of multiple kingdoms? For example, a Tyrion/Sansa kid (ew) would be heir to Casterly Rock and Winterfell. He has to give one up, right? Because Robert gave Storm's End to Renly instead of hold it for one of his children.

Sean C

Whoa.
Also, more general question. What happens to heirs of multiple kingdoms? For example, a Tyrion/Sansa kid (ew) would be heir to Casterly Rock and Winterfell. He has to give one up, right? Because Robert gave Storm's End to Renly instead of hold it for one of his children.
GRRM said Robert didn't have to do that. He choose to give Storm's End and Dragonstone to his brothers, rather than hold them for his children, out of his own generosity.

Also, Tywin made it clear that he did not intend for Tyrion or Tyrion's line to inherit the Rock.

foxtrot3d

Banned
hmm, I could see that happening. maybe we will see a letter burning after all. too bad there's no snow in dorne.

Eh, given D&D's writing I doubt they pay that much attention to detail. They don't have the benefit of mapping out character motivations long before, they change to meet the plot as they stray more from the books. But, who knows? It seems rather stupid for what we know of Doran in the books to send an open threat to Cercei. Then again whose to say Doran sent it and not Ellaria?

suzu

I'm pretty sure the other Tyrells don't exist. They don't really mention other heirs for most of the houses.. or they end up cutting them out (like with the Martells).

That really does look like a department store grotto version of what existed in my imagination.

Even the script there is awful, ""the powers that move them are powerless here." So awkward and clumsy.

I have no idea why they spent all that money for that scene. It just fell flat, all it showcased was Jojen's death

I have no idea why they spent all that money for that scene. It just fell flat, all it showcased was Jojen's death

According to Graves on the episode commentary, it may have fell flat to people because they didn't spend enough on it. He said they were basically out of money for the episode at that point.

I had suppressed that apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DwVOtzsF9E

Just look at that, fucking awful all around.

Some of the worst shit the show has done. It's like the magnum opus of D&D's approach to over the top scenes and cutting corners. There's next to no tension in the fight scene, culminating in the emotionless way Jojen is mechanically stabbed. Then an unimaginative looking child of the forest appears and throws fireballs like women's softball. In short they turn what should have been a scary scene into a CGI wank fest.

I thought that scene was amazing in the book btw. Despite the heroics of Coldhands and Hodor there's this unsettling atmosphere of horror in the scene where you don't know what's going to happen. Obviously I never thought Bran would die but Hodor perhaps, maybe Summer...maybe everyone except Bran. That scene also highlights Martin's take on magic systems, and how similar it is to LOTR. There are no fireballs or flame blasts. A child simply sets the wights on fire with torch.

Patriots7

GRRM said Robert didn't have to do that. He choose to give Storm's End and Dragonstone to his brothers, rather than hold them for his children, out of his own generosity.

Also, Tywin made it clear that he did not intend for Tyrion or Tyrion's line to inherit the Rock.
Ah so he could have held on to those titles. Makes more sense.

No, they can't. Tywin explicitly states in episode 3.06 that Margaery is Loras' heir, meaning he has no brothers.
Maybe make them their cousins or something? Although didn't they refer to Trystane as Doran's youngest son in an earlier season only to make him the sole heir? I fully believe D&D don't care to remember they excluded the possibility of Highgarden having other heirs.

Some of the worst shit the show has done. It's like the magnum opus of D&D's approach to over the top scenes and cutting corners. There's next to no tension in the fight scene, culminating in the emotionless way Jojen is mechanically stabbed. Then an unimaginative looking child of the forest appears and throws fireballs like women's softball. In short they turn what should have been a scary scene into a CGI wank fest.

I thought that scene was amazing in the book btw. Despite the heroics of Coldhands and Hodor there's this unsettling atmosphere of horror in the scene where you don't know what's going to happen. Obviously I never thought Bran would die but Hodor perhaps, maybe Summer...maybe everyone except Bran. That scene also highlights Martin's take on magic systems, and how similar it is to LOTR. There are no fireballs or flame blasts. A child simply sets the wights on fire with torch.

Not only that, but old man in a tree. The most dull design ever.

Speevy

Banned
The Bran scene was dumb but it's over and we don't have to relive it.

I would much rather the Greyjoy dog scene be cut from the show.

Valhelm

contribute something
Not only that, but old man in a tree. The most dull design ever.

That's literally how he's described in the book, though. The only difference is that there's no root through his eye.

There are a lot of issues to be had with that scene, but Bloodraven's design is the least of them.

That's literally how he's described in the book, though. The only difference is that there's no root through his eye.

There are a lot of issues to be had with that scene, but Bloodraven's design is the least of them.

That's true, maybe I'm just partial to seeing the great fan art anymore. And I agree, it's the least of the problems, but it's a shame they didnt really see the need to be more creative with it.

NeoGiff

Maergaery enjoys her new husband? This show...

Let's consider that this entails what we think it entails.

On one hand, Dean-Charles Chapman is of legal age. On the other, with the aging-up of the characters, this quite accurately evokes the sexual aspect of medieval life.

There is absolutely no problem here, and that makes the imminent controversial clickbait shitstorm all the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom