• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop dude, there is no justifying it. The only way this "works" is by screwing with either Ramsay or Sansa's character. Either Ramsay isn't the Ramsay we know from the books and can be manipulated or Sansa is turned back into an abused captive.

Or neither is neither since nothing has happened beyond the proposal. All we are doing is imagining how it will play out.

Vyrance

Stop dude, there is no justifying it. The only way this "works" is by screwing with either Ramsay or Sansa's character. Either Ramsay isn't the Ramsay we know from the books and can be manipulated or Sansa is turned back into an abused captive.

You assume they'll even end up together, I doubt they will

Late Edit: I'll be damned, she got there this episode lol. Well nevermind then!

Ponn

Banned
Game of Thrones Season 5 |OT| Salt is coming.

We'll see how it plays out, certainly too early to call it a win, but so far I'm so very on board with the changes.

Same here. I can be a bit of a source material purist but when it comes to the later half of ASOIAF i'm not nearly as tied to it and open to good changes. People need to chill.

People, this is an ADAPTATION, not a page-for-page remake.

Get over it.

Is it an adaptation anymore? Certainly doesn't seem like it. Adaptations at least try to stick as close as possible to the source material, not throw a grenade into the middle of it. This is an adaptation like Super Mario Bros. was an adaptation at this point.

She could have sat the season out like Bran.

Bran's story is so divorced from any current events in the show that's okay for him to go away for a while. Sansa isn't.

Is it an adaptation anymore? Certainly doesn't seem like it. Adaptations at least try to stick as close as possible to the source material, not throw a grenade into the middle of it. This is an adaptation like Super Mario Bros. was an adaptation at this point.

...No they don't? They present the same story in a way that is appropriate for the needs of the medium.

A lot of you are really jumping to conclusions like there's only one or two ways this could play out. You don't even know how the original source material ends.

Sorry, Ramsay can't be manipulated in the books? That's news to me.

Yeah I'm generally good with changes and most of what they do but this whole Sansa and Ramsay thing seems so fucking unnecessary other than "what crazy shit can we do this season?"

foxtrot3d

Banned
You know what the Stannis Nod makes up for all my feelings about these recent changes. It was glorious.

She's gonna Reverse Red Wedding the Boltons, man. She's taking over for Wyman Manderly.

And Littlefinger has successfully played the Boltons in the books by using Jeyne Poole. Here he's playing them by using Sansa.

How? The Boltons know she is a fake, that was the whole reason Theon was present.

Book readers always create epic fantasies in their heads about the simplest things. It wasnt gonna be some campy cheesy ass giant head nod.

That was a nod.

When they start making changes that just don't make sense, then it stops becoming an adaptation. I don't have any problem with scaling down things, cutting out certain characters (Belwas, ect) or slight changes to make a TV narrative work. When they start cutting out major point of view characters, make the characters do things they would never do, fuck with the world, then its no longer an adaptation. Sansa is in the North? There is no way that that news wouldn't get to Cersei who would then lay siege on Winterfell. Little finger would NEVER take her out of the Erie.

kirblar

When they start making changes that just don't make sense, then it stops becoming an adaptation. I don't have any problem with scaling down things, cutting out certain characters (Belwas, ect) or slight changes to make a TV narrative work. When they start cutting out major point of view characters, make the characters do things they would never do, fuck with the world, then its no longer an adaptation. Sansa is in the North? There is no way that that news wouldn't get to Cersei who would then lay siege on Winterfell. Little finger would NEVER take her out of the Erie.
Sansa's material is a hybrid of the Riverlands material along with her Book 6 stuff. It's an adaptation choice to condense the storylines. No LSH, Jaime in Dorne, and Sansa/Ramsay are all a result of that region being removed.

How? The Boltons know she is a fake, that was the whole reason Theon was present.

But they don't know that Littlefinger's got a real Stark and can pull the rug out from under them anytime. He's made them feel secure in their power over the North when they are about as far from secure as you can get.

I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that he's working with Manderly in the books tbh, and that the Davos thing is actually all about a fool's mission intended to separate the lone voice of reason from Stannis.

And yeah guys, Stannis is like the least expressive person ever. Any nod from him is gonna be the slightest of movements, especially with someone he's still pissed off at for other reasons. Dude appreciates another hard-nosed legalist when he sees one.

Veerrrrry curious to see how the Winterfell business plays out. It's pretty clear that that's getting nearly as much of a revamp as Dorne is.

Sansa's material is a hybrid of the Riverlands material along with her Book 6 stuff. It's an adaptation choice to condense the storylines.

Well we know for damn sure Littlefinger would never let her leave the Erie since he's masquerading her around as his bastard daughter Alyane Stone, and that he's keeping it a secret that she is alive so, how does this adaptation choice make sense?

Sean C

Not sure why you guys are so upset

Sansa needed new material, this is new material. Her plot line had reached where it was in the books anyway.
If her plotline had reached where it was in the books, then (a) do the book story or (b) don't blow through her entire AFFC story in one scene. The writers did this because they wanted to, not because they'd run out of story (they intentionally dispensed with that stuff).

As for why people don't like this, I should think the reason why people would be alarmed about Sansa being subbed for Jeyne Poole would be obvious, namely, that Jeyne's entire arc is being raped and tortured, and the interviews the actors have given strongly suggest similar things are in store.

Well we know for damn sure Littlefinger would never let her leave the Erie since he's masquerading her around as his bastard daughter Alyane Stone, and that he's keeping it a secret that she is alive so, how does this adaptation choice make sense?

We'll have to see. I think there are a lot of things that are kinda fuzzy about the choice, but I'm sure the writers are aware of that and will come up with a justification. We'll have to see how good that justification is.

I'm a bit concerned about Littlefinger revealing Sansa because of the potential Lannister problems, not to mention the Boltons marrying a real Stark for the same reason (IIRC, in the books, Tywin was in on the fArya plan - he wanted to wipe the Stark bloodline out, Reynes of Castamere style, and that was a good way of doing it while keeping the peace - it's not just a risk to Sansa, but to the Boltons' greatest political patron).

kirblar

The "Queen in the North!" endgame is almost certainly the same in both versions- how we get to it is what's changing, and they're choosing a much, much more direct path.

Red Wedding 2: Electric Boogaloo is totally happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom