• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Queen in the North!" endgame is almost certainly the same in both versions- how we get to it is what's changing, and they're choosing a much, much more direct path.

Red Wedding 2: Electric Boogaloo is totally happening.

So the book is going to have Sansa go marry Ramsay? I'm not sure how anyone could draw that conclusion, for many many reasons.

jett

D-Member
When they start making changes that just don't make sense, then it stops becoming an adaptation. I don't have any problem with scaling down things, cutting out certain characters (Belwas, ect) or slight changes to make a TV narrative work. When they start cutting out major point of view characters, make the characters do things they would never do, fuck with the world, then its no longer an adaptation. Sansa is in the North? There is no way that that news wouldn't get to Cersei who would then lay siege on Winterfell. Little finger would NEVER take her out of the Erie.

Adaptation doesn't mean complete recreation. What do you expect the show to do? To have Sansa's actress sit on her ass until they know what the hell is going to happen to her in the books? These are the realities of TV.

I have no issues with the changes they're making, in fact, I wish they had more drastic cuts earlier in the show. For too long they've attempted to cram as many characters and plotlines as possible with zero regard to pacing and actual theming. This show has often felt equally bloated and underdeveloped due to the slavish nature of the adaptation of the books. Yes, slavish, in spite of all the changes they've made in previous seasons. I'm not saying the show will magically improve in all regards, but shit, it's about time. Besides, they had no choice. They're running out of material anyway.

And as a book reader, this is the most interesting and intriguing the show has ever been, personally.

kswiston

So the book is going to have Sansa go marry Ramsay? I'm not sure how anyone could draw that conclusion, for many many reasons.

I think he means that Littlefinger will try to put forth Sansa as ruler of the North at some point after the stuff with the Boltons at Winterfell. It obviously will happen in a much different manner.

Adaptation doesn't mean complete recreation. What do you expect the show to do? To have Sansa's actress sit on her ass until they know what the hell is going to happen to her in the books? These are the realities of TV.

I have no issues with the changes they're making, in fact, I wish they had more drastic cuts earlier in the show. For too long they've attempted to cram as many characters and plotlines as possible with zero regard to pacing and actual theming. This show has often felt equally bloated and underdeveloped due to the slavish nature of the adaptation of the books. Yes, slavish, in spite of all the changes they've made in previous seasons. I'm not saying the show will magically improve in all regards, but shit, it's about time. Besides, they had no choice. They're running out of material anyway.

And as a book reader, this is the most interesting and intriguing the show has ever been, personally.

I expect them to make changes that make sense if they are going to make them. There's a huge difference between cutting out the bridge of boats and changing an entire characters storyline to something that would never happen.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Almost done Gif'ing that Stannis nod but the Unsullied thread got me laughing.

Reading these three comments in a row it struck me like a ton of bricks - Jon's gonna die this season, isn't he? Episode 9 or 10, he's toast. There's only one reason they build up characters in this show :(

It is known.

kirblar

No, the Riverlands wedding is going to get Red Wedding'd by LSH. Sansa is going to end up being used to take over Winterfell. This combines the two into one arc.

How you thought I was saying that, I have no idea.

Sean C

The show is normally very keen to preserve surprises, so I'm surprised they showed Jorah in the brothel before he abducted Tyrion.

jett

D-Member
They know what's going to happen to her in the books. GRRM told them his whole outline.

We don't really know how detailed GRRM was in his explanation of the endgame. Who knows what or how much they were really told.

I expect them to make changes that make sense if they are going to make them. There's a huge difference between cutting out the bridge of boats and changing an entire characters storyline to something that would never happen.

This is something that happens in every adaptation ever, you just gotta deal with it. I don't have a problem with this, we don't really know where they're going with this Sansa business. Since they're doing their own thing now, there must be a reason for this.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Here it is, in all its glory!

aUzutrH.gif

Altazor

I liked this one better than the previous ones. I know that as a book reader it's hard to dissociate myself from comparing it to the books, so my inner book-fan is kinda screaming at some of the choices ("where's fetch me a block?", "why is Sansa going to marry Ramsay?", "where are Griff and Young Griff?" and so on) but I know those complaints aren't fair. It shouldn't be 1:1. So now I don't really know what exactly is going to happen with some plots and I'm really interested.

And hell, despite the changes, I liked Slynt's execution scene. At least they kept the Stannis moment ;)

Lautaro

Haha, came here just to see the rage.

Speculation:

If they are talking about the stone men,
could it be possible that Jorah will be the one infected instead of Connington?
pls no, I prefer them to drop that encounter instead.

This was the first time I was legitimately angry at Martin. Finish the fucking books man. If the show is going to diverge this much from the books I will regret ever reading them.

LordCanti

We got the nod, that's all that matters.

Littlefinger taking the risk of selling Sansa to the Boltons seems like something he'd never do but I guess it's all going to end in the Bolton's getting what they deserve hopefully.

I kind of like Cersei getting into bed with the group that will make a fool of her shortly. She's doing it to herself and she doesn't even realize it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Better episode the last two. Interesting how they're going about with the North, streamlining things.

Thought the execution was shot well. Although, it didn't feel like it had the same impact as it did in the books. I think that was the first bit a good news to happen in ages. (At least it felt like it.)

Also, holy shit there's an asian person on the show. Never thought I'd see it.

I don't think people are complaining about the show being different, they're complaining about it just being bad.

Some of the things they've decided to change just don't make much sense, are just done poorly or don't have that same amount of impact some of the scenes in the books have.

I'm perfectly ok with changes if done well. But ehh, it's becoming more and more of a meh fan fic.

I maintain they would have been much more heavy handed about it if Ramsay was going to be a threat to Sansa. I bet he won't, and Miranda, Ramsay's g/f will be (because surprise! They were heavy handed with her).

Rixxan

need a shot of arya's welling eyes as she drops her identity into the sea, sunset behind her

absolutely beautiful, sorrowful moment

Here it is, in all its glory!

aUzutrH.gif

Yes. Glad they did it justice.

That was a very good, focused episode. Each arc received a solid amount of time, there was no clip show feel like past episodes, etc. Loved the Cersei/Maergery stuff. I wonder...with Maergery's virginity irrelevant, how will Cersei trap her? Obviously it'll revolve around adultery, but I guess she'd have to be caught in the act now right? There's no need to inspect her, everyone knows she's not a virgin now. So she would have to be caught in bed with someone else in order to be arrested, I'd imagine.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why did they change Janos' execution? :(

Still a fun episode. Kinda looking forward to Sansa baking some pies.

I don't think people are complaining about the show being different, they're complaining about it just being bad.

Some of the things they've decided to change just don't make much sense, are just done poorly or don't have that same amount of impact some of the scenes in the books have.

I'm perfectly ok with changes if done well. But ehh, it's becoming more and more of a meh fan fic.

Yes, this is exactly my feeling. "Hmm, consensual sex scene in the books, let's make it rape!"

RyanDG

I think I'm done with the show until the books are finished. I wonder how difficult it is going to be for me to avoid spoilers. =/

I thought that was a really strong hour. Obviously the Sansa adaption is a big deviation from the source material, so I'm skeptical of it, but we'll see how it unfolds.

Random thoughts:
-I laughed pretty hard at Margaery's comment about it being too early for wine
-Great intro to Jonathan Pryce's character, really looking forward to him being a part of the show
-The Mannis nod was great, good scenes at The Wall this week. I thought Davos' conversation with Jon was interesting, possible catalyst for Jon to offer the idea of the Northern tribes to support Stannis?
-Undead Gregor!
-Stone men setup, or just some world building with greyscale?
-Strong direction from Mylod tonight, some really great shots (Moat Cailin looks so cool)
-Oh, and the House of Black and White setting was pretty great, really cool way to open the episode with the shots of the different religious figures

Probably of interest to some people, interview with the writers about Sansa's change in storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom