• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

aUzutrH.gif

I had to rewatch it to see if he even nodded, they made it way too subtle I think.
The unsullied picked up the nod without an issue.

edit: EW interview w/ the showrunners on the Sansa adaptation: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/26/game-thrones-sansa-ramsay-interview

kswiston

The answer to that is an unequivocal yes.

I think it is more of a sort of. We are starting to get episodes where almost everything was changed or didn't happen at all in the books. By the end it's going to be the adaptation version of Rashomon. We'll know who is ultimately dead, but the story explaining how we got to that point will be radically different.

SpaceHorror

I think I'm done with the show until the books are finished. I wonder how difficult it is going to be for me to avoid spoilers. =/

I think this is a bad idea, though I can't say I blame you.

You'll be fine for the next few seasons, but I think it'll be a different story once they get into A Dream of Spring material. Regardless of how different the journey will be from the book, I expect overall the ending will be the same.

And it's going to be everywhere.

Personally I'd rather just watch the show and whatever it spoils I'll take it on the chin with the knowledge that I'll still get a different, and likely better, experience once all of the books are out.

For me, that's better than having the ending spoiled by some random clickbait article that pops up on Facebook: "GUESS WHO WON THE GAME OF THRONES" with a giant picture of Benjen/Daario/Euron.

cj_iwakura

Adaptation doesn't mean complete recreation. What do you expect the show to do? To have Sansa's actress sit on her ass until they know what the hell is going to happen to her in the books? These are the realities of TV.

I have no issues with the changes they're making, in fact, I wish they had more drastic cuts earlier in the show. For too long they've attempted to cram as many characters and plotlines as possible with zero regard to pacing and actual theming. This show has often felt equally bloated and underdeveloped due to the slavish nature of the adaptation of the books. Yes, slavish, in spite of all the changes they've made in previous seasons. I'm not saying the show will magically improve in all regards, but shit, it's about time. Besides, they had no choice. They're running out of material anyway.

And as a book reader, this is the most interesting and intriguing the show has ever been, personally.

Sums up my feelings perfectly. All the changes may seem like blasphemy as far as staying true to source material, but for adapting the core ideas and making them more interesting for a TV audience, I think they're brilliant. I can't wait to see where they take it.

I'll miss certain new characters, but they seem more than capable of using existing ones to deliver the same outcomes.

Pkaz01

need a shot of arya's welling eyes as she drops her identity into the sea, sunset behind her

absolutely beautiful, sorrowful moment

maisie nailed it when she tries to put the steel face on and then starts breaking down into almost tears. A moment that can never compare to GRRM's writing but still very well acted

Iksenpets

Banned
I thought that was a really strong hour. Obviously the Sansa adaption is a big deviation from the source material, so I'm skeptical of it, but we'll see how it unfolds.

Random thoughts:
-I laughed pretty hard at Margaery's comment about it being too early for wine
-Great intro to Jonathan Pryce's character, really looking forward to him being a part of the show
-The Mannis nod was great, good scenes at The Wall this week. I thought Davos' conversation with Jon was interesting, possible catalyst for Jon to offer the idea of the Northern tribes to support Stannis?
-Undead Gregor!
-Stone men setup, or just some world building with greyscale?
-Strong direction from Mylod tonight, some really great shots (Moat Cailin looks so cool)
-Oh, and the House of Black and White setting was pretty great, really cool way to open the episode with the shots of the different religious figures

Probably of interest to some people, interview with the writers about Sansa's change in storyline.

Really interesting to read that they've had this planned since season 2. I had started to think that maybe they knew as far back as season 3, when they introduced the Myranda character, but it's interesting to get confirmation. I wonder if there were any little hints back then that no one caught.

Yes. Glad they did it justice.

That was a very good, focused episode. Each arc received a solid amount of time, there was no clip show feel like past episodes, etc. Loved the Cersei/Maergery stuff. I wonder...with Maergery's virginity irrelevant, how will Cersei trap her? Obviously it'll revolve around adultery, but I guess she'd have to be caught in the act now right? There's no need to inspect her, everyone knows she's not a virgin now. So she would have to be caught in bed with someone else in order to be arrested, I'd imagine.
Strong indication is that it'll be about Loras based on trailers.

Speevy

Banned
Stannis is gonna be all like "Yeah bitch no snowstorm is gonna stop me I'm ridin' all the way to King's L...Ughgghhhhhaaaaah" and Briene will impale him through the back with oathkeeper.

Pkaz01

Petyr's gonna ride into Winterfell with the Greatjon and Blackfish and start wreckin' shit.

Believe.

At first I was wondering why he would give a shit about revenge on the Boltons, then I remembered it made sense because they killed Cat. I don't remember reading anything about him reacting to Cats death in the books.

foxtrot3d

Banned
At first I was wondering why he would give a shit about revenge on the Boltons, then I remembered it made sense because they killed Cat. I don't remember reading anything about him reacting to Cats death in the books.

Except that Petyr is pretty much responsible for her death. I highly doubt LF gives two shits about Cat.

I don't mind the change to Sansa marrying Ramsay, but it's going to be pretty depressing if they do to her what happened to Jeyne Poole. I'd like to see a little redemption for Theon instead. I thought the Slynt scene was alright, but it felt rushed. I told my wife how the Internet was going to howl for losing the "block" line. It feels like DandD think the audience will not understand anything but the most literal words. "Fetch me a block? A block of what? Ice? Who's Cat?" Is friendly old Jonathan Pryce going to do a proper heel turn as the High Sparrow? I didn't think they were going to have Arya selling oysters for many episodes, but I feel like they're going to breeze through her training.

Here's a petty nitpick. GRRM's describes everyone's clothing as being ridiculously colorful. I mean, House Bolton's color is pink. I realize they can't have all the characters on the show as dandied-up as the books, but nobody in the books wears black except the Night's Watch, and yet that's all anyone in the show wears.

jett

D-Member
Here's a petty nitpick. GRRM's describes everyone's clothing as being ridiculously colorful. I mean, House Bolton's color is pink. I realize they can't have all the characters on the show as dandied-up as the books, but nobody in the books wears black except the Night's Watch, and yet that's all anyone in the show wears.

I made my peace with that shit ages ago. I agree that the show is way too dressed down in comparison to the show, visually. I imagine HBO was afraid of alienating mainstream viewers.

"So, we love Sophie Turner so much that instead of Sansa's boring arc in the Eyrie we had the brilliant idea to have her raped by Ramsay".

Seriously, I won't give a fuck anymore...

"That all said, just because the writers are mining another character’s storylline for Sansa, it doesn’t mean what happens next on HBO’s series will be the same as it was for that other character in the books. So while Martin’s fans might think they now know where Sansa’s story is headed, the showrunners could have more twists planned."

Jigorath

Banned
After this episode i'm the only one who thinks that Brienne is going to kill Mannis this season?
:(

They didn't remind viewers of Brienne's oath this episode for no reason. Sansa is at Winterfell. Stannis wants to take Winterfell. Brienne is going after Sansa and still wants to kill Stannis. All roads are going to intersect at one point. That said, I don't think Stannis will die this season as the show won't have any major Winds spoilers.

"That all said, just because the writers are mining another character’s storylline for Sansa, it doesn’t mean what happens next on HBO’s series will be the same as it was for that other character in the books. So while Martin’s fans might think they now know where Sansa’s story is headed, the showrunners could have more twists planned."

Yeah, it can always be worse. lol

Jonathan Pryce is great.

Jon's execution of Slynt is one of my favorite chapters in the books, here it was whatever.

I wonder how long they're going to keep Sansa's hair dyed. At this point anyone who gives a fuck already knows who she is. And I hope Littlefinger has something else planned than just the marriage. The whole thing seems like a bad idea that any competent person would not do.

Jaqen and his hair crack me up when he's wearing the white robes.

Brienne better not kill Stannis, even though the show version (good actor aside) is pretty shitty. He really needs the cart before the horse line.

I understand why the show isn't as elaborate color wise, but sometimes I do wish for some of the flair you see in some Shakespeare adaptions.

One of the interesting things about the period of history Martin was/is inspired by is that color was really a privilege of the rich, as well as knights. A normal person could go their entire life seeing only brown, black, and other dreary colors. So seeing a royal in flowing, bright colors must have been surreal. Likewise seeing a knight with colorful banners would be equally surreal and also terrifying depending on which side he was on.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I don't mind the change to Sansa marrying Ramsay, but it's going to be pretty depressing if they do to her what happened to Jeyne Poole. I'd like to see a little redemption for Theon instead. I thought the Slynt scene was alright, but it felt rushed. I told my wife how the Internet was going to howl for losing the "block" line. It feels like DandD think the audience will not understand anything but the most literal words. "Fetch me a block? A block of what? Ice? Who's Cat?" Is friendly old Jonathan Pryce going to do a proper heel turn as the High Sparrow? I didn't think they were going to have Arya selling oysters for many episodes, but I feel like they're going to breeze through her training.

The stereotype is that Medieval clothing was all drab and dull, despite every shred of historical evidence pointing to the contrary. HBO just didn't have the balls to dispel that myth, same with all the peasants being dirty and filthy.

LordCanti

And I hope Littlefinger has something else planned than just the marriage. The whole thing seems like a bad idea that any competent person would not do.

Hopefully Roose will ask for him to send troops to aid him against Stannis and LF will bring legions of Vale soldiers to crush the Boltons while they're most vulnerable.

Or he'll just go back to King's Landing and leave Sansa to rot. One or the other.

The "Queen in the North!" endgame is almost certainly the same in both versions- how we get to it is what's changing, and they're choosing a much, much more direct path.

Red Wedding 2: Electric Boogaloo is totally happening.
Yeah, I got the feeling that Littlefinger's plan is for the Red Wedding sequel to happen to the Boltons once Stannis is at the gate. Like the way Tywin opened the gates for Robert's army.

But plans that hurt bad people in this universe always go awry. :/

I wonder how long they're going to keep Sansa's hair dyed. At this point anyone who gives a fuck already knows who she is.

What's so bizarre to me about them bothering to dye her hair this season, is that it makes next to no sense since everyone knows who she is. At least last season it would have made some amount of sense to have Sansa have her hair dyed when she was first getting to the Vale.

Brienne better not kill Stannis, even though the show version (good actor aside) is pretty shitty. He really needs the cart before the horse line.

Heh. I wonder if we'll get that line. So far, the show seems to almost be going out of its way to purposefully avoid some of the more iconic lines from the books ("Only Cat." "Edd, fetch me a block.")

It's just me or the tv series is going too fast with the storyline? We are still in the 3rd episode and we are discussing things like the Bolton vs. Stannis war that still didn't happen on the books.

It's just me or the tv series is going too fast with the storyline? We are still in the 3rd episode and we are discussing things like the Bolton vs. Stannis war that still didn't happen on the books.

It's not going to end 1:1 where ADWD ended, especially not with how many of these subplots are completely different.

Madness

Almost got a little teary eyed when that old lady said to Sansa, welcome home Lady Stark, the North Remembers.

Man, I wish Ned was alive.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dissociation is not a strength of mine. If the books were done I could probably dissociate them, but they're not so I will struggle.

Why not just stop watching the show?

They're going for ~ realism ~ or some other such nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom