• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

I have a terrible memory with so-called Iconic lines. GAF flipped out when "only Cat" was changed and I didn't notice at all, despite having had read through the end of AFFC when that happened. How do you all remember this shit?

I have a terrible memory with so-called Iconic lines. GAF flipped out when "only Cat" was changed and I didn't notice at all, despite having had read through the end of AFFC when that happened. How do you all remember this shit?

After I checked this thread post episode, I was actually surprised there wasn't more anger about changing the execution line.

hoos30

I understand why the show isn't as elaborate color wise, but sometimes I do wish for some of the flair you see in some Shakespeare adaptions.

One of the interesting things about the period of history Martin was/is inspired by is that color was really a privilege of the rich, as well as knights. A normal person could go their entire life seeing only brown, black, and other dreary colors. So seeing a royal in flowing, bright colors must have been surreal. Likewise seeing a knight with colorful banners would be equally surreal and also terrifying depending on which side he was on.

HBO says, "Fuck that shit".

They are not going to budget $100M per season on a show where soldiers wear blue mustachios.

I liked the Sansa "twist". It raises the stakes. I don't think anyone actually cares about Jeyne Poole, all the fucks to be had about fake Aryas were given when Alys Karstark showed up for some reason. Given the medium, show watchers weren't going to remember a girl who had two lines in S1, let alone think Mance and Theon risking their lives for her is worth screen time.

Sansa being there, to me, is a confirmation that The Mance is alive. Stannis/Davos casually name dropping Tormund leading the free folk leads me to believe that he is indeed the swap. Theon's redemption arc will be a big part of this season, hope it climaxes with the heart tree breakdown.

Everyone has already figured out Robert Strong, no problem there.

Jon scene was good enough, but really needed the "this isn't right..." moment of hesitation, followed by the switch from hanging to beheading. Both scenes indicate to the audience some kind of "will he/won't he" uncertainty, but the way the book handles it makes you realize in the end that it was never really a choice.

Brienne is still just filler.

House of black and white is the most intriguing part. I'm really fascinated to see if they explain more about the religion of the many faced God.

RangersFan

I think D&D is setting up to give the TV viewers some sweet Stark revenge which I imagine would truly split book and tv dramatically.

After I checked this thread post episode, I was actually surprised there wasn't more anger about changing the execution line.

How the show did it works. I just dislike how really lacking in any tension or buildup they've handled all of Jon's content this season so far.

Like with Stannis' offer to make Jon Lord of Winterfell. In the books, that comes across as a huge deal for Jon and it's something he struggles with a bit. In the show, Stannis makes the offer and barely 30 seconds later we have Jon telling Sam he's turning down Stannis. Sort of the same with Slynt- you have Slynt mouthing off and pretty quickly you have Jon just asking Olly for his sword.

Would have been a little more interesting if they framed that scene with a bit more ambiguity like in the books as to what Jon was going to do with Slynt- first, whether to punish him and then how to punish him. I love that passage in the books because its a great fake out. First you have Jon saying he won't hang Slynt and then you get the great "Hell yeah!" moment where you realize he's not letting him off the hook since he's going to behead him- "Edd, fetch me a block."

Sansa being there, to me, is a confirmation that The Mance is alive. Stannis/Davos casually name dropping Tormund leading the free folk leads me to believe that he is indeed the swap. Theon's redemption arc will be a big part of this season, hope it climaxes with the heart tree breakdown.
I'm not sure how any of this suggests Mance is alive. Obviously Tormund is going to do things this season, none of that has anything to do with a swap.
Brienne is still just filler.
Nah, she's probably taking Mance's role.

How the show did it works. I just dislike how really lacking in any tension or buildup they've handled all of Jon's content this season so far.

Like with Stannis' offer to make Jon Lord of Winterfell. In the books, that comes across as a huge deal for Jon and it's something he struggles with a bit. In the show, Stannis makes the offer and barely 30 seconds later we have Jon telling Sam he's turning down Stannis. Sort of the same with Slynt- you have Slynt mouthing off and pretty quickly you have Jon just asking Olly for his sword.

Would have been a little more interesting if they framed that scene with a bit more ambiguity like in the books as to what Jon was going to do with Slynt- first, whether to punish him and then how to punish him. I love that passage in the books because its a great fake out. First you have Jon saying he won't hang Slynt and then you get the great "Hell yeah!" line where you realize he's not letting him off the hook since he's going to behead him- "Edd, fetch me a block."
I think there was enough will he/won't he going on in that scene. It worked well actually even if it was different.

Rixxan

Really surprised Arya at the docks isn't getting more comments

Scene was beautiful, torn about dropping needle, showing emotion as she lets go of her identity

The Sansa stuff remains the thing I really don't like. They've tried to explain it by Littlefinger not knowing anything about Ramsey, but that strikes me as ridiculous. I'd buy it if Ramsey was a shut in. But word travels fast enough for Littlefinger to hear more than enough. Not to mention the flayed bodies in Winterfell this episode, plus Ramsey flaying a northern bannerman; certainly Littlefinger heard about that.

There was a leak during production/filming that
Littlefinger will be in King's Landing at some point this season. The idea that he would leave Sansa alone in Winterfell is laughable to me, whether you look at it from a TV or show perspective

The Sansa stuff remains the thing I really don't like. They've tried to explain it by Littlefinger not knowing anything about Ramsey, but that strikes me as ridiculous. I'd buy it if Ramsey was a shut in. But word travels fast enough for Littlefinger to hear more than enough. Not to mention the flayed bodies in Winterfell this episode, plus Ramsey flaying a northern bannerman; certainly Littlefinger heard about that.

Yeah, the point of Littlefinger supposedly not knowing anything about Ramsey? What? I mean, isn't Littlefinger really well connected in terms of knowing things? I mean, Cat and Robb knew Ramsey was flaying Theon alive back in season 3, right? Or at least they knew that in the books. Surely other stories would have leaked out about Roose Bolton's bastard son, especially to someone like Littlefinger.

Euron

I wonder if they'll have Walder Frey come up to Winterfell for the wedding. If Red Wedding 2: Electric Boogaloo really is a thing they can just kill two birds with one stone.

Rixxan

Personally, I took it as him just not letting on to knowing what Ramsay is about, but I suppose there is a slight chance he really doesn't

Jon scene was good enough, but really needed the "this isn't right..." moment of hesitation, followed by the switch from hanging to beheading. Both scenes indicate to the audience some kind of "will he/won't he" uncertainty, but the way the book handles it makes you realize in the end that it was never really a choice.
It's a really powerful scene in the book and it should have played out slower. I liked how the scene started; that bit about the latrine is a show invention, I think, and was tense and did a lot of character-building of Jon. He's not vindictive; he rewarded Thorne and gave a command to Slynt, and his friend got the shit detail (and accepted it without word). But without the "hanging" pause, the beheading felt rash and even mean.

Yeah, the point of Littlefinger supposedly not knowing anything about Ramsey? What? I mean, isn't Littlefinger really well connected in terms of knowing things? I mean, Cat and Robb knew Ramsey was flaying Theon alive back in season 3, right? Or at least they knew that in the books. Surely other stories would have leaked out about Roose Bolton's bastard son, especially to someone like Littlefinger.

I was thinking maybe he was bluffing, but with this show, who knows.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It's a really powerful scene in the book and it should have played out slower. I liked how the scene started; that bit about the latrine is a show invention, I think, and was tense and did a lot of character-building of Jon. He's not vindictive; he rewarded Thorne and gave a command to Slynt, and his friend got the shit detail (and accepted it without word). But without the "hanging" pause, the beheading felt rash and even mean.

Nah, the book part would've played out too slow. Just think how that would look "Edd, fetch me a block." Jon goes outside and they are preparing to hang Slynt, he proceeds to plead for his life, pause, fuck it grab my sword, further pause, sword is brought to him, Slynt still squeals, they kick him down, further pause as he finally lays his head down and prepares for death, one final pause, beheading, Stannis Nod. That's too much time wasted to get the same point across.

Also, why isn't anyone else pissed off about the further white washing of Tyrion?

Zabka

Also, why isn't anyone else pissed off about the further white washing of Tyrion?
He's already a much different character than book Tyrion. I'd be surprised if anyone expected the, in my opinion boring and lame, character arc from ADWD to be adapted for the show.

You mean "Tyrion and Varys' Travelin' Road Show"? It's like Archie and Edith Bunker, except when Archie gets to the whorehouse he turns into Meathead.

He's already a much different character than book Tyrion. I'd be surprised if anyone expected the, in my opinion boring and lame, character arc from ADWD to be adapted for the show.
To me it's a missed chance to see some world-building. That's probably expensive, but it feels like they're on a Heroes-finale level of cheating. "I'm tired of being in this box all the time. I never even get to see the scenery!" And all they've had him do is puke and drink and whine in replacement. Making Tyrion virtuous seems over the top.

foxtrot3d

Banned

I'm not talking so much as his long-winded arc in ADWD but the specific white washing of Tyrion to make him remain a "good guy" with no real faults. He doesn't murder Shae, it's self-defense. He doesn't order the singer killed. He doesn't screw that whore in Volantis, no he nobly turns her down. Etc.

Also, I just realized that Tyrion and Varys just traveled from Pentos to Volantis in a comfy coach in two episodes. And, we never saw the Black Walls of Volantis.

suzu

Stannissss. The execution scene was ok. Damn, seems like Brienne really is gonna head up there to kill him.

Sansa, you in danger girl. Now that I think about it, Myranda is probably going to do something. I hope they don't make Ramsay "save" Sansa from her. Bad enough that tv-only people think Ramsay is less crazy than Joffrey. Edit: Well, after taking a look at the unsullied thread, I guess I retract that last statement. lol

lol at Cersei screwing herself over.

Massa

No, they didn't know Ramsay was flaying Theon alive. In fact Robb thought he would hold him in a cell for him to question. Roose didn't openly tell people his son was crazy, and nobody had any reason to care about a bastard before Tommen made him a Bolton.

I'm not talking so much as his long-winded arc in ADWD but the specific white washing of Tyrion to make him remain a "good guy" with no real faults. He doesn't murder Shae, it's self-defense. He doesn't order the singer killed. He doesn't screw that whore in Volantis, no he nobly turns her down. Etc.

Also, I just realized that Tyrion and Varys just traveled from Pentos to Volantis in a comfy coach in two episodes. And, we never saw the Black Walls of Volantis.

He didn't nobly turn her down, he couldn't fuck her because he's emotionally damaged. It's the show version of "where do whores go".

I don't agree that he didn't murder Shae, nor did I think turning down the whore was "noble".

Marry Sansa to Ramsay as a rallying point for the northern lords, kill the Boltons.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding it.

Yeah pretty much

LordCanti

Marry Sansa to Ramsay as a rallying point for the northern lords, kill the Boltons.

Killing the Bolton's and then taking Sansa as his wife seems like the only way he's getting control of the North and the Vale.

I don't agree that he didn't murder Shae, nor did I think turning down the whore was "noble".

He turned her down because Tyrion Jr wasn't working, unless I completely misread the situation. Not exactly noble.

Patriots7

There's no logic behind the plan though.
Why would Sansa Bolton serve as a rallying point for the northern lords to kill the New Warden of the North?
Why would the Bolton's honor any arrangement after Sansa is wed to Ramsay?
Both Littlefinger and Roose are allied with Cersei at the moment. This is a pretty easy way to end those alliances.

I feel like the Northern conspiracy could have been done so well, even including Sansa, than this half-assed explanation.

Speevy

Banned
My only explanation is that the northern lords want the Boltons gone and a Stark reinstalled. They view Roose as a traitor and are willing to risk their uneasy peace to kill him.

Petyr is, as usual, just enabling these things to happen. Plus he gets a kind of roundabout revenge for Catelyn.

I see it like the Boltons are trying to legitimize themselves through Sansa because the northerners are being stubborn, and Petyr wants to stir the northerners up through Sansa because of vengeance and whatnot.

They both want Sansa, but Roose believes he needs to consolidate his hold on the north because the crown is unstable and won't help him.

Madness

I don't understand Petyr's plan.

Marry Sansa to Ramsay, she becomes heir to Winterfell again. Kill Bolton and Ramsay somehow, avenge Catelyn, all while securing the Eyrie, Harrenhal and soon the North and making himself the most powerful Lord in Westeros, powerful enough to take the crown for himself. Just in time for Khaleesi arrival of course. Remember what Varys said, he's the most dangerous man in Westeros in the show.

He knows Ramsay, look at the look he gave him when he said he'd never hurt her, and I'm guessing he will probably hire those girls who come to save Theon and Alayne aka now Sansa.

Brakke

Banned
Managed to catch it at the hotel. After all we wrung hands over the show diverging from the books, I'm excited for that to actually start happening.

How sick is it to want to have sex with a woman who has her hair braided over her entire face?

Man high sept.

Lol I loved that. Olivar was so silly in that scene.

Why would Sansa Bolton serve as a rallying point for the northern lords to kill the New Warden of the North?
Why would the Bolton's honor any arrangement after Sansa is wed to Ramsay?
Both Littlefinger and Roose are allied with Cersei at the moment. This is a pretty easy way to end those alliances.

I feel like the Northern conspiracy could have been done so well, even including Sansa, than this half-assed explanation.

You are assuming Petyr has told Sansa his whole plan. His obvious plan would be to eliminate the Boltons and then rallying the North.

The reason both are doing this is because after Tywin's death Lannister family strength is dying.

Massa

I don't think Littlefinger is expecting the northern lords to kill the Boltons.

"Why would the Bolton's honor any arrangement after Sansa is wed to Ramsay?"

The only arrangement Littlefinger needs is to have Sansa sitting in Winterfell.

"Both Littlefinger and Roose are allied with Cersei at the moment. This is a pretty easy way to end those alliances."

The same Cersei that, in tonights episode, thinks she struck gold with the High Sparrow...

Kuroyume

Banned
I kind of liked it... Which makes it the first episode of the season I enjoyed. I think it has to do in part with seeing some of the cruelty which has been missing from this show for a bit. The flayed people... Qyburn's experiments... Show Ramasay has been so fucking lame. It's nice to see those corpeses.

Also, I really like the set up for Cersei vs the Sparrows. That and Cersei's scene with Margery were good.

Not sure how I feel about the Sansa move.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked the scenes with Cersei, Tommen, and Margaery, even though they were different from the book, blah, blah, etc. I thought they were really enjoyable.

Sansa x Ramsay on the other hand - I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm also cautious about where they're taking Brienne and Pod...

Also, smh @ all the shameless and gratuitous t&a this week.

Scene was beautiful, torn about dropping needle, showing emotion as she lets go of her identity

Me too, actually. I liked that scene a lot. I thought it was perhaps Maisie William's finest performance on the show to date.

It's a great scene. I know the show doesn't do inner monologue, but I felt like I was reading it just by looking at her face.

The unsullied are gonna lose it when Jon makes the epic speech about going to Winterfell and then gets stabbed 2 mins later. It's like the repeat of oberyn's seeming victory, snatched away at the last second.

also, I can't remember but was the original high septon thrown out like that in the books?

Speevy

Banned
The unsullied are gonna lose it when Jon makes the epic speech about going to Winterfell and then gets stabbed 2 mins later. It's like the repeat of oberyn's seeming victory, snatched away at the last second.

What if GRRM and the showrunners had a falling out and they just left him dead to spite Martin?

If it happens that way.
also, I can't remember but was the original high septon thrown out like that in the books
No Cersei had him killed because she was paranoid about him being Tyrion's creature.

Madness

One thing I didn't like last week was how much Indira Varma accent changed in Dorne. It's subtle change from more Middle Eastern before to straight Spaniard/Portuguese and sort of like Oberyn. I thought she was a new character altogether when I first saw. Did anyone else pick up on it? Hard to explain. But I had marathoned last season before seeing this new season and her voice was so familiar to me and then felt different. It's probably more accurate Dorne-ish, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom